Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
"Just come on, catch me. Try to catch me"
(05-13-2016, 04:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, not sure how excited I can be about a 6th round WR blowing by and berating our 1st round pick, but meh...we shall see!  Lord knows we can't have a Bengals off-season without anointing some late-round WR as THE difference maker for the upcoming year! Ninja

Let's just go ahead and award Cody Core the first (official) annual Dezmon Briscoe award for late round difference making wide receiver wanna-be!

Let it be written - Let it be done!!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:21 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: You don't knock down 23 passes and have 5 INTs by being lucky.  Also, at 4.39 speed, I doubt many will be running away from him, but Core does have great "long speed" and I was very excited he was still there in the 6th round.  

I think he may fill (among other things earlier on) the Chris Henry role of long ball receiver that petrifies the Steelers like Chris did.

Palmer's revenge...
Reply/Quote
It seems some folks just can't wait for certain players to fail without knowing anything about them other than their name.
I hope every player with the Bengals plays the greatest season of their lives and then some. I certainly don't hope any of them fail, but I really do wonder about some of you.
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
Honestly when you watch tape I think he looked more explosive and MLJ like the Boyd. But obviously the round discrapancy 32 nfl teams disagreed with me haha.
[Image: sig_zpsweeg0dtn.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:29 PM)3wt Wrote: I think he may fill (among other things earlier on) the Chris Henry role of long ball receiver that petrifies the Steelers like Chris did.

Palmer's revenge...

I had the same thought about his role.

The best part is, unlike Chad, AJ has shown continual success against the Steelers, so if Core can be successful filling a role like Slim had, the sky is the limit.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have a strange feeling, that the Bengal passing attack could be even better than last year.  A couple of the "pickers" have rated the Bengals as unlikely to repeat as Division Champs, due to losses of starting WRs (Jones and Sanu).  However, they may have been forgetting the weapons that we still retained;  Guys like AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Giovanni Bernard, Burkhead (yes, he's valuable in the passing game), now add in LaFell, Boyd, and Core, our weaponry looks quite formidable.
 Agree, and is basically what I was preaching even before we drafted Boyd and Core. 

Rex and Kroft will probably get more reps and both have been in the system for awhile now. Should only make them better and then we add the rooks.

I believe that Jones will have a good year in Detroit. They have no run game and a "turrible" D, hence the fact that they are forced to throw the ball a lot. Wts, I feel that both Jones and Sanu were overvalued with some Bengal fans. Both are replaceable in my opinion.

Jones did some good things in Cincy, but with the way Andy is progressing I don't think our passing offense is gonna miss a beat.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:52 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I had the same thought about his role.

The best part is, unlike Chad, AJ has shown continual success against the Steelers, so if Core can be successful filling a role like Slim had, the sky is the limit.
 In fact the team that may surprise in the AFC North may be the Ravens.   They picked up some really good players.  I think our receivers will be ready to compete.  The big question is going to be how well our O-Line plays against the front sevens of the Steelers and the improved Ravens

In any event I really like the new receiver room a lot.
Reply/Quote
Love to hear this stuff. Even if he ends up on the PS, that just means there were 6 healthy WRs we had who were even better than him. Internal hype levels building...

Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:18 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: I have a strange feeling, that the Bengal passing attack could be even better than last year.  A couple of the "pickers" have rated the Bengals as unlikely to repeat as Division Champs, due to losses of starting WRs (Jones and Sanu).  However, they may have been forgetting the weapons that we still retained;  Guys like AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Giovanni Bernard, Burkhead (yes, he's valuable in the passing game), now add in LaFell, Boyd, and Core, our weaponry looks quite formidable.

I expect our passing game to be pretty good, but I have to laugh because it truly wouldn't be a Bengals off-season without us wondering how we're EVER going to get all our weapons on the field at once.  Bonus points for thinking a late-pick WR or FA pick up is going to be the amazing difference.

I'm just saying!

(05-13-2016, 05:26 PM)3wt Wrote: Let's just go ahead and award Cody Core the first (official) annual Dezmon Briscoe award for late round difference making wide receiver wanna-be!

It's the GOLDEN BINNS AWARD!!!  Last year it went to Denarius Moore for being a WR no one wanted that was going to revolutionize the NFL by running super fast down the field.  Ha, I kid, people weren't getting too high on him but it is amusing that you can set your watch by this stuff.  

Wait, don't we have a couple of nobody WRs who we were talking up?  Alford?  Wright?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 04:53 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hmm, not sure how excited I can be about a 6th round WR blowing by and berating our 1st round pick, but meh...we shall see!  Lord knows we can't have a Bengals off-season without anointing some late-round WR as THE difference maker for the upcoming year! Ninja

This was my thought as well. I'm not sure if our 6th round pick embarrassing our 1st round pick is good news. 

And yes, we take a late round WR almost every year, and that guy usually somehow looks like Anquan Boldin mixed with Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in camp. Supposedly. 
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 08:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This was my thought as well. I'm not sure if our 6th round pick embarrassing our 1st round pick is good news. 

And yes, we take a late round WR almost every year, and that guy usually somehow looks like Anquan Boldin mixed with Jerry Rice and Randy Moss in camp. Supposedly. 

This is pretty amusingly biased as well.  Could you imagine what we would be saying if it had been reported from Steelers camp that Artie Burns got totally burned and insulted by Demarcus Ayers (I had to look up the WR they drafted in the 7th)?

Steelers fan:  WOW, our 7th round WR just burned and insulted our 1st pick CB!!!!
Bengals fan:  Holy crap...I fear the swagger I'm feeling here!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 08:00 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: This was my thought as well. I'm not sure if our 6th round pick embarrassing our 1st round pick is good news. 

Agree,

I hope he takes AJ Green's spot away. But I've learned to take the camp news with a grain of salt.

Having said that I do think we will have an upper tier passing attack with whomever makes the cut among the noobs.
Reply/Quote

Could it be that Core was a 6th round pick, because he played in the shadow of Laquan Treadwell?  He seemed to carry the load well, after Treadwell went down with his injury.  For that matter, could some of Treadwell's success be attributed to Core playing opposite of him? 

Either way, until he flops, I'm considering Core the steal of the draft! Ninja

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Despite the jokes about the late rounder being a contributor, let's not forget that MLJ was a 5th rounder and TJ a 7th. That's pretty damn good production out of the later rounds.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 11:24 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Bengals have been pretty good at finding good talent, with late round WR picks.  Housh, Marvin Jones, now Cody Core has a chance to continue that late round legacy.

(05-13-2016, 10:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Despite the jokes about the late rounder being a contributor, let's not forget that MLJ was a 5th rounder and TJ a 7th.  That's pretty damn good production out of the later rounds.

Always good to see another fan, on the same wavelength. ThumbsUp

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 10:33 PM)SHRacerX Wrote: Despite the jokes about the late rounder being a contributor, let's not forget that MLJ was a 5th rounder and TJ a 7th.  That's pretty damn good production out of the later rounds.

I'll share in the enthusiasm when I see him burn and embarrass a 1st round corner that isn't a Bengal!
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 11:51 PM)Nately120 Wrote: I'll share in the enthusiasm when I see him burn and embarrass a 1st round corner that isn't a Bengal!

Agree,

I'm hopeful and optimistic that Core can develop into a useful contributor. Heck maybe even an everyday #2 pushing for 1. True game changer !

But I'm not going to go out and buy a Core jersey while doing back flips, until I see him doing it on Sundays.
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 09:21 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Could it be that Core was a 6th round pick, because he played in the shadow of Laquan Treadwell?  He seemed to carry the load well, after Treadwell went down with his injury.  For that matter, could some of Treadwell's success be attributed to Core playing opposite of him? 

Either way, until he flops, I'm considering Core the steal of the draft! Ninja

Now that's what I'm talking about! Post draft fever is taking hold of Bengaldome. Denny, Denny! Come back Denny!!!!

I'm gonna feel so bad in the morning...
Reply/Quote
People totally overreact about players simply because of the round they were drafted in.

Undrafted? He's just a worthless UDFA, don't get all excited about him. (Exception: Burfict, Alan Hurns, Tony Romo)
5/6/7th Rounder? Don't get excited, he's only here to warm the bench (Exception: Brady, TJ Housh, Antonio Brown)
2/3/4th? Meh, he might be ok, but don't get your hopes up (Exception: "Geno, Billings!")
1st? He's the best player in the universe (and if he only plays like the 24th best player in the universe he's deemed a bust)

Let's wait until we see him on the field before we either crown him as the part we need to make the SB or a bench warming bust, eh?
Reply/Quote
(05-13-2016, 05:26 PM)3wt Wrote: Let's just go ahead and award Cody Core the first (official) annual Dezmon Briscoe award for late round difference making wide receiver wanna-be!

Haha, this was my 1st thought as well. I hope one of these times it actually works out.

On a side note, whatever you do, do NOT look who was taken 4 picks later than Briscoe in the 2010 draft.
Reply/Quote