Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just for fun discussion, Josh Brown is available
I know Mikey B won't do it, but I'd love to see the team look for a new kicker.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
Why is he available?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2016, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is he available?

Why were Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu available? Are you implying that just because a player is available it means they are not good?
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2016, 11:30 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Why is he available?

Obviously he's available and Mike Nugent isn't because Nugent is significantly better than he is. Ninja
Reply/Quote
Im still bitter that we opted for Nugent over Brown.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2016, 01:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Why were Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu available? Are you implying that just because a player is available it means they are not good?

This is just Fred's new thing he's doing to discount any FA he wants without having to actually make a salient point of any kind.
- - - - - - - - -

That aside... I would love Josh Brown to come kick for the Bengals. I wanted him to stay over Nugent when he was here. Here's the FG% rankings since they chose Nugent over Brown with 50+ in parenthesis.
2013:
Nugent 23rd (3/4)
Brown 17th (1/2)
2014:
Nugent 27th (0/3)
Brown 4th (4/4)
2015:
Nugent 23rd (2/3)
Brown 1st (3/3)

Certainly not the best decision the Bengals have ever made. It'd be nice to have even an above average kicker for the first time in a long time, let alone a guy who's just crushing it like Brown has the last two years. Even if they don't get Brown, I do hope they look for a replacement late in the draft/undrafted.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2016, 01:21 PM)Beaker Wrote: Why were Marvin Jones and Mohammed Sanu available? Are you implying that just because a player is available it means they are not good?

(03-14-2016, 01:08 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Obviously he's available and Mike Nugent isn't because Nugent is significantly better than he is. Ninja

(03-14-2016, 11:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: This is just Fred's new thing he's doing to discount any FA he wants without having to actually make a salient point of any kind.
- - - - - - - - -

Sorry to burst everyone's hate bubble, but I was just honestly asking why he was available.  I know he is good, but I didn't know if he had a drop of in 2015 or was injured.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to burst everyone's hate bubble, but I was just honestly asking why he was available.  I know he is good, but I didn't know if he had a drop of in 2015 or was injured.

In that case.

Nah, he just led the NFL in FG % at 93.8% and went to the Pro Bowl... BUT he's going to be 37 for the 2016 season. While kickers age crazy gracefully in NFL standards, a lot of people are seeing kickers like Justin Tucker coming in undrafted on 3yr/$1.44m deals and hoping they get lucky with a young cheap kicker.

He'll get a job somewhere for sure, probably at like 2yr/$6m is my guess, or maybe 3yr/$9m but structured so if they cut him before the third year there will be no cap hit. Good kickers are inexpensive in the overall picture, which made the Bengals sticking with Nugent for so long all that more baffling. Cutting Nugent and Hunt would pretty much pay for Brown on it's own and make the team better.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 12:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Sorry to burst everyone's hate bubble, but I was just honestly asking why he was available.  I know he is good, but I didn't know if he had a drop of in 2015 or was injured.

Not to jump on you, but you were the one who made that thread about "the first thing you ask a FA is why he is a FA" right?  It's not an unreasonable  thing to ask, but it can be misconstrued as you having some bias against guys who "aren't wanted" by their former team.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to jump on you, but you were the one who made that thread about "the first thing you ask a FA is why he is a FA" right?  It's not an unreasonable  thing to ask, but it can be misconstrued as you having some bias against guys who "aren't wanted" by their former team.

That thread is also exactly where my mind went when he posted "why is he available?", Nate. Just seemed like a continuation of it, but since it turns out it was a real question, I had no problem giving a real answer.

Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 02:37 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Not to jump on you, but you were the one who made that thread about "the first thing you ask a FA is why he is a FA" right?

And that is exactly why I asked that question first.

It doesn't mean I am biased against every single free agent.  In fact I usually post a list of three or four reasonable free agents I want the Bengals to sign.

It just means it is the first question you should ask about any free agent.
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 08:37 PM)fredtoast Wrote: It just means it is the first question you should ask about any free agent.

Excellent point.  Better question:  Why hasn't Mike Nugent been a FA since he got to Cincy?
Reply/Quote
(03-14-2016, 09:06 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Excellent point.  Better question:  Why hasn't Mike Nugent been a FA since he got to Cincy?

He does some good things.  He keeps grinding.  He's just gotta do a better job, and clean some things up on 4th down.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote