Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
(11-17-2021, 01:34 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I always prefer fresh, but I've frozen ribs, roasts, briskets, pork butts, turkeys, chickens, tri-tip, etc. and as long as it's vacuum sealed and not in the freezer too long, I've never had an issue with the taste or texture.  Especially when smoking, there's usually some element of fat being added (butter, tallow) and moisture doesn't seem to be much of a problem.  But yes, if I could pick every time between fresh and frozen, I'd go fresh.  

100% true.

The biggest problem with meat that was frozen is finding a place for it to properly thaw completely in time for the smoking adventure.  I have a large upright freezer, so freezing meat is no problem.  But I only have one refrigerator which rarely has much room in it, so there generally has to be a cooler and ice packs involved with the thaw.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Ok so my next brisket attempt is going to be copying the mad scientist’s copying of the I believe original Franklin pit master. He has a place called La Barbecue now I believe. Slather of half yellow mustard and half pickle juice. A rub of 8 parts course black pepper, 3 parts Larwrys , 3 parts kosher salt, and 1 part granulated garlic.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2022, 04:44 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Ok so my next brisket attempt is going to be copying the mad scientist’s copying of the I believe original Franklin pit master.  He has a place called La Barbecue now I believe.  Slather of half yellow mustard and half pickle juice. A rub of 8 parts course black pepper, 3 parts Larwrys , 3 parts kosher salt, and 1 part granulated garlic.

I've done that.... you're gonna like it. Use pecan or oak.
Reply/Quote
Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of the smoker. Every friend of mine suddenly thinks they are the best cook ever. And it's been like 10 years now. Bro everything that comes out of the smoker tastes the exact same and I'm sick of it. Good luck tasting that delicious rub you prepared over that same smoke taste you get on everything you put in there. Guess I'm over it.
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:37 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of the smoker. Every friend of mine suddenly thinks they are the best cook ever. And it's been like 10 years now. Bro everything that comes out of the smoker tastes the exact same and I'm sick of it. Good luck tasting that delicious rub you prepared over that same smoke taste you get on everything you put in there. Guess I'm over it.

Sounds to me like you're using too much smoke. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 12:37 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Maybe it's just me but I'm sick of the smoker. Every friend of mine suddenly thinks they are the best cook ever. And it's been like 10 years now. Bro everything that comes out of the smoker tastes the exact same and I'm sick of it. Good luck tasting that delicious rub you prepared over that same smoke taste you get on everything you put in there. Guess I'm over it.

I don't think that's the case with most pellet smokers.  At least that's the opinion I hear from people who are used to offset smokers.  There are people who want to smoke everything under the sun.  I personally smoke three things.  Brisket, ribs and pork butt.  I'll probably try wings sometime, and I did do a whole chicken once that was pretty good, but those are the main three that interest me, and that I am interested in improving on.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 03:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think that's the case with most pellet smokers.  At least that's the opinion I hear from people who are used to offset smokers.  There are people who want to smoke everything under the sun.  I personally smoke three things.  Brisket, ribs and pork butt.  I'll probably try wings sometime, and I did do a whole chicken once that was pretty good, but those are the main three that interest me, and that I am interested in improving on.  

The pellet smoker is so convenient, those I know who have them smoke literally everything.  Water for ice in cocktails, appetizers, every entre from soup/chili to meat to veggies to casseroles, desserts... I love smoked meat, but then I want to balance it with other flavors, so my sides are never smoked.  And smoked meat is so versatile.  Because it's not just about eating the meat straight, although that's great.  It's taking the beef ribs I smoked a few weeks ago and eating some for dinner and then using the rest to make enchiladas and breakfast tacos.  The smoke adds depth.  I'll also smoke an appetizer or side, but then not the main course.  I want it all to balance. 

But I'd also second Sled and say it's probably not being smoked correctly if it all tastes the same and is overwhelming.  Smoking isn't about slapping you in the face, feeling like you ate a campfire.  It should be an added dimension of flavor. 
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 01:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds to me like you're using too much smoke. 

Lol. If all 47 people I know are using too much smoke I'd be surprised
Reply/Quote
(03-02-2022, 06:12 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Lol. If all 47 people I know are using too much smoke I'd be surprised

If you've got 47 friends all smoking for you, no wonder you're getting sick of it! 
Reply/Quote

(03-02-2022, 01:56 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Sounds to me like you're using too much smoke. 

(03-02-2022, 03:21 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I don't think that's the case with most pellet smokers.  At least that's the opinion I hear from people who are used to offset smokers.  There are people who want to smoke everything under the sun.  I personally smoke three things.  Brisket, ribs and pork butt.  I'll probably try wings sometime, and I did do a whole chicken once that was pretty good, but those are the main three that interest me, and that I am interested in improving on.  

(03-02-2022, 06:12 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: Lol. If all 47 people I know are using too much smoke I'd be surprised

(03-02-2022, 07:01 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: If you've got 47 friends all smoking for you, no wonder you're getting sick of it! 

I can completely understand where Chloe is coming from.

Here in RVA there was a MASSIVE explosion of folks getting smokers several years back.  As michaelsean pointed out from other experiences, many people (most of them around here) will smoke everything they can get their hands on.  This is not a problem in and of itself, but as Chloe eluded, many (most) of them just suck at it.  I've had countless local folks hit me with the "If you like XYZ, wait till you try this version of it.  I smoked it", and it literally just tastes like hickory or whatever they use.  What makes matters worse, is they'll put every dish for the entire meal on the smoker, so you just get a plate full of food that all tastes the same. 
Reply/Quote

Wouldn't surprise me one bit. Most people I know who smoke use too much smoke. And, to be honest "too much smoke" is subjective. I've seen the gamut from "soak green wood" to those who use properly cured wood but run a dirty fire, to those who run a small hot fire properly. What it all comes down to, is if you can't taste anything but smoke, it's oversmoked. And if that's what a person likes, then so be it. Myself, I do not use the heavy smoke woods like mesquite, and have even gone away from using hickory, because I do not like a heavy smoke flavor. I tend to cook with oak or pecan. And if I'm doing poultry, I use nothing but charcoal with maybe 1 or 2 pieces of fruit wood at the start of the cook. I run a fire that you can barely see blue smoke coming out of the stack, and I can tell you the difference in what rubs I used that day. There are rubs I buy and toss after one cook because I did not like them, and rubs I buy over and over. You sould be able to tell. If you can't taste anything but smoke, you're doing it wrong. Unless, you like the taste of heavy smoke, in which case you're doing it right. That's the thing about BBQ, cook what you like....
Reply/Quote

Lol Cloe, I could see this happening... Hilarious

Smokey food all the damn time. Ugh.

The pellet smokers I have ate from weren't all smokey though.

Those friends of yours hahahahaha

Just makes me laugh as my friends are the same way, the best cooks ever. I don't say I am a good cook...

But I am. Mellow
Reply/Quote
I got a look at the latest model of my pellet smoker which is the Pit Boss Professional vertical smoker. They put the electronics on the side which was a good idea. They really changed the interior. Mine goes fire box, heat deflector, water pan. Now you can’t even see the firebox. It is completely covered by a sheet of metal that covers the entire bottom and is screwed down. For a second I’m like, how the hell does the smoke get out? Then I noticed all these vents in the walls. The smoke travels inside the walls and out the vents. No idea if that is better or not, but the thing costs $150 more than I paid.

Reply/Quote
I have a question about prime hamburger Pattie’s which I see for sale at the grocery store. I think there are a few things that are considered for grading, but it seems the #1 thing is the intramuscular fat. So my question is can’t you make the fat content anything you want in ground meat, and isn’t the higher fat content usually the cheapest? What is a prime hamburger patty offering?

Reply/Quote
(03-11-2022, 12:26 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I have a question about prime hamburger Pattie’s which I see for sale at the grocery store. I think there are a few things that are considered for grading, but it seems the #1 thing is the intramuscular fat. So my question is can’t you make the fat content anything you want in ground meat, and isn’t the higher fat content usually the cheapest?  What is a prime hamburger patty offering?

Sales gimmick. Your best hamburgers will come from the regular old 80/20 split.
Reply/Quote