Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
(08-11-2021, 11:57 AM)Sled21 Wrote: A lot has to do with what temperature you are smoking at as well. If you stay down around 225, the membrane will still be there and IMO is quite nasty. If you go up around 300, it burns away and you never know it was there.

Do you think that also happens if you finish them on a grill for 15 minutes or so?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(08-13-2021, 09:57 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Do you think that also happens if you finish them on a grill for 15 minutes or so?

Probably, never tried it, but I assume you could burn it away that way.
Reply/Quote
(08-15-2021, 02:43 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Probably, never tried it, but I assume you could burn it away that way.

I'm wondering if that is why it has never bothered me to leave it on.  I almost always finish them on a grill.
Reply/Quote
My family is getting together the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They'll be spending Thanksgiving with other sides of the family or some are working.

I want to smoke something that will get the taste of 2 days of turkey and ham out of folks mouths. I'm thinking of trying a brisket, but they're getting kinda pricey and hard to find. Also thinking of smoking a pork butt/shoulder.

For all the experts out there: Is the brisket worth it compared to the pork and what other types of beef cuts can be smoked?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 07:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My family is getting together the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They'll be spending Thanksgiving with other sides of the family or some are working.

I want to smoke something that will get the taste of 2 days of turkey and ham out of folks mouths. I'm thinking of trying a brisket, but they're getting kinda pricey and hard to find. Also thinking of smoking a pork butt/shoulder.

For all the experts out there: Is the brisket worth it compared to the pork and what other types of beef cuts can be smoked?

I know it is just a matter of personal taste, but when it comes to BBQ and/or smoking pork is always better than beef.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 09:53 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I know it is just a matter of personal taste, but when it comes to BBQ and/or smoking pork is always better than beef.

Thanks. I'm leaning heavily toward pork. Then I just have to work on the sauces. When I was in SC they were gig into a yellow sauce.

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 07:24 PM)bfine32 Wrote: My family is getting together the Saturday after Thanksgiving. They'll be spending Thanksgiving with other sides of the family or some are working.

It's a little left field, but smoked salmon is absolutely incredible with the right preparation.  
Reply/Quote

Not sure about the hard to find part, but I just picked up a 3.8 lb flat two days ago from Wegman's to smoke tomorrow.  Damn thing was $38.
Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 11:26 PM)samhain Wrote: It's a little left field, but smoked salmon is absolutely incredible with the right preparation.  

Thanks and I'll try the salmon for me and the wife. Don't want to try it on the fam. 

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 11:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not sure about the hard to find part, but I just picked up a 3.8 lb flat two days ago from Wegman's to smoke tomorrow.  Damn thing was $38.

W have a butcher shop "Boone's" in Bardstown; they advertise having them in stock. I'll drive down tomorrow and see what they go for..

Reply/Quote
(10-30-2021, 11:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Not sure about the hard to find part, but I just picked up a 3.8 lb flat two days ago from Wegman's to smoke tomorrow.  Damn thing was $38.

Brisket prices have been through the roof here lately.  I haven't smoked one in months.  I'm not paying $5+/lb for it.  Meat in general has been more expensive lately, but you really see the difference when you're picking something that weighs 18 lbs before trimming! 
Reply/Quote
Love some brisket but it's hard to beat pork bbq.
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 12:44 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Brisket prices have been through the roof here lately.  I haven't smoked one in months.  I'm not paying $5+/lb for it.  Meat in general has been more expensive lately, but you really see the difference when you're picking something that weighs 18 lbs before trimming! 

Fortunately this was already trimmed, so no waste.  At $10/lb I better not have to throw any of it away.

Although I have decided that the next time I have a large piece of meat that needs trimming, I will vacuum seal and freeze the waste.  Once I get enough scrap beef and fat (it would all be ribeye and/or brisket); I'll pick up a couple of sirloins and throw all of it through the meat grinder together to make some tasty ass burgers!
Reply/Quote

Costco almost always has prime brisket for $4.99 or less. You will be able to find choice at Kroger for $3.99 or less between now and then. For me brisket is king but pork butt is easier.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 01:34 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: Fortunately this was already trimmed, so no waste.  At $10/lb I better not have to throw any of it away.

Although I have decided that the next time I have a large piece of meat that needs trimming, I will vacuum seal and freeze the waste.  Once I get enough scrap beef and fat (it would all be ribeye and/or brisket); I'll pick up a couple of sirloins and throw all of it through the meat grinder together to make some tasty ass burgers!

$10/lb?  That's crazy.  And it's just a flat, so you're missing out on the best part of the brisket!  

I'm waiting to see if the prices drop, and then I'll probably grab a couple of briskets to keep in the freezer.  Choice here has been $5/lb (whole/packer brisket), which is just too much in my opinion.  It was $2-3 not that long ago.  Prices might stay high from what I'm hearing from ranchers around here, but more than $5/lb is just more than I'm willing to pay unless I know the prices aren't going back down. 

Costco/Sam's are my go-to spots for brisket, but I've really only seen Choice lately and the higher cost. Find a whole brisket at my grocery stores is super rarity (flats, yes, all the time). 

Trimming the fat and either rendering it down for tallow or using it to mix in with leaner cuts for burger is a great idea and avoids the waste!  Nothing worse than dumping 3 pounds of fat in the garbage. 
Reply/Quote
(10-31-2021, 01:20 AM)bfine32 Wrote: W have a butcher shop "Boone's" in Bardstown; they advertise having them in stock. I'll drive down tomorrow and see what they go for..

Didn't realize you were in this part of the country. Boone's is the bomb. Grab some of their seasoned stuffed pork chops.....
Reply/Quote
I made ribs this weekend and I have one takeaway...

I am anti putting brown sugar in the wrap. The brown sugar gets burnt and turns bitter and into a tar like substance. It's disgusting.

I don't know why so many bbq guys recommended doing this...but I wont do it again.
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 04:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I made ribs this weekend and I have one takeaway...

I am anti putting brown sugar in the wrap. The brown sugar gets burnt and turns bitter and into a tar like substance. It's disgusting.

I don't know why so many bbq guys recommended doing this...but I wont do it again.

I'm curious what your temp was, Weezy?  I don't regularly use brown sugar when I do pork ribs, but I have in the past and had great results.  I usually have the temp around 250.
Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 04:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I made ribs this weekend and I have one takeaway...

I’ve used it several times and never had a problem.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(11-02-2021, 05:19 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I'm curious what your temp was, Weezy?  I don't regularly use brown sugar when I do pork ribs, but I have in the past and had great results.  I usually have the temp around 250.

I was rolling at 225. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote