Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
Had my first cook on Friday...

Two racks of baby back ribs. Smeared them in a light coat of mustard, put meat church honey hog on them, and threw them on the smoker for two hours. Sprayed them with apple cider every hour. After two hours I wrapped them in foil with butter, brown sugar, honey, and more honey hog seasoning. They turned out awesome. I could have left them on longer to make them a bit more fall of the bone tender but I wanted to be able to cut them.

[Image: b5o7_0ajHfhFBEy_F9hKyYU4V3Ej0h288tzsPeJ2...authuser=0]

[Image: CBVyHtskQpvGprQeVDX0aKQN9fI-B6swjdJqzYPJ...authuser=0]

[Image: ROa8rTw1zlKkWbtC9VvBqt0efTb43UiV2nOZy0lE...authuser=0]
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(01-24-2021, 05:11 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Had my first cook on Friday...

Two racks of baby back ribs. Smeared them in a light coat of mustard, put meat church honey hog on them, and threw them on the smoker for two hours. Sprayed them with apple cider every hour. After two hours I wrapped them in foil with butter, brown sugar, honey, and more honey hog seasoning. They turned out awesome. I could have left them on longer to make them a bit more fall of the bone tender but I wanted to be able to cut them.

[Image: b5o7_0ajHfhFBEy_F9hKyYU4V3Ej0h288tzsPeJ2...authuser=0]

[Image: CBVyHtskQpvGprQeVDX0aKQN9fI-B6swjdJqzYPJ...authuser=0]

[Image: ROa8rTw1zlKkWbtC9VvBqt0efTb43UiV2nOZy0lE...authuser=0]

Everything looks super yummy!
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2021, 09:56 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: We've only used ours a handful of times since getting it in August, but Sunday we did some good stuff, everything was done with Hickory that day.

First, we made a smoked honey simple syrup, as well as smoking some keto friendly simple syrup that she had in the fridge.  These were both done 10 minutes each at 225°.

Next up I boosted the temp to 275°, and we smoked a half full mason jar of water for one hour.  Once it cooled, it was poured into an ice cube tray to make smoked ice.

Come this weekend, I will be able to report back on how the smoked cocktail thing is working out.

The final smoke of the day was the remainder of a family pack of chicken legs that Kroger gave us by accident.  I used the remainder of rub I had left from a Boston Butt I smoked a few weeks back.  They were freaking out of this world!

(01-19-2021, 11:14 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: Can't wait to hear how those smoked cocktails go!  I love a penicillin with a little peated whisky floated on top, so I'm sure those smoked ingredients will be awesome.  

Smoked Ice works great!  It can be added to any cocktail to give a smokey flavor.

The simple syrups worked also, but there is a limitation as to what you can use it with because of the sweetness.

I do think we will be keeping all 3 on hand regularly...
Reply/Quote
Did my first pork butt yesterday. Turned out amazing.

[Image: lKJaCxsQpx6QpGUiSnls0dnKBTb-dULGNJu8dDHf...authuser=0]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 03:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: Did my first pork butt yesterday. Turned out amazing.

[Image: lKJaCxsQpx6QpGUiSnls0dnKBTb-dULGNJu8dDHf...authuser=0]

Looks great!  Although if I just downed a bottle of Eagle Rare, carboard might taste good, too! 
Reply/Quote
A lot of sales lately. I got a 19lb choice brisket at $2.47lb from Sam's. I got a 9lb pork butt at Kroger for $.99lb. And today Kroger had buy one get one free baby backs so I got four of them. Now I just need some warmer weather so I can pretend I need to be out by my pellet smoker.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2021, 03:50 PM)michaelsean Wrote: A lot of sales lately. I got a 19lb choice brisket at $2.47lb from Sam's. I got a 9lb pork butt at Kroger for $.99lb.  And today Kroger had buy one get one free baby backs so I got four of them.  Now I just need some warmer weather so I can pretend I need to be out by my pellet smoker.

Those are some good deals. I saw the Kroger pork butt sale. I picked one up an 8 lb pork butt for $8 lol. I mean the value in that is incredible. Im going to be eating off this thing all week. 
Reply/Quote
I do have a question for the experienced guys. At some point I’m going to want to try an unwrapped brisket. Are there any negative effects (besides time) to waiting out the stall?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
I have a Traeger. Love it.

Here's some of the stuff I've done since March:

glazed ham for Christmas

[Image: MzKoQvS.jpg]

Thanksgiving:

[Image: pGzTv4E.jpg]

I like big butts:

[Image: QW5WCrL.jpg]

steakhouse burgers:

[Image: AT0ni9T.jpg]

my wife wanted to try cobbler on the smoker after her boss got everyone a box of peaches. I ended up making a bunch of mini ones for my parents and grandparents since we had so many peaches:

[Image: sAEfqlw.jpg]

love ribs, but my one weakness is carving:

[Image: 6gZ5Icb.jpg]

can't go wrong with wings:

[Image: yJ8lH6r.jpg]
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 12:21 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I do have a question for the experienced guys. At some point I’m going to want to try an unwrapped brisket. Are there any negative effects (besides time) to waiting out the stall?

The only time we buy brisket is for my wife to make it for her Jewish holidays and she uses the oven for that, but my buddy who is also into smoking is a big brisket guy (I'm more of a pork guy). From what I've picked up from talking with him, the downside is the time and need to check in to keep it moist. Not using the Texas crutch (as the cool kids call it) helps to maintain a nice crust to the brisket. I always wrap my butts because I'm just shredding em anyways (in before you make a butt joke) so I don't care about a crispy exterior. 

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 01:02 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: The only time we buy brisket is for my wife to make it for her Jewish holidays and she uses the oven for that, but my buddy who is also into smoking is a big brisket guy (I'm more of a pork guy). From what I've picked up from talking with him, the downside is the time and need to check in to keep it moist. Not using the Texas crutch (as the cool kids call it) helps to maintain a nice crust to the brisket. I always wrap my butts because I'm just shredding em anyways (in before you make a butt joke) so I don't care about a crispy exterior. 

Yeah it seems everyone wraps pork butt in foil. I always wonder how much rub actually contributes to a pork butt because once you shred it only the pieces that have the outer bark will have it on them. Salt will penetrate, but not most other things.

I’m basically interested in brisket, pork butt and ribs, but brisket is what I really like doing as of now, but who knows how that will change over the years?

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 12:21 AM)michaelsean Wrote: I do have a question for the experienced guys. At some point I’m going to want to try an unwrapped brisket. Are there any negative effects (besides time) to waiting out the stall?

I've done a couple of them unwrapped the whole time.  The crust was perfect.  Just amazing.  The downside was the time and keeping the flat moist.  Spritz with my water/apple cider vinegar mix every 45 minutes or so on the flat especially, but parts of the point, too.  And the last one I did like that was Mother's Day and I smoked for about 19 hours to get it done (14 lb brisket at 250).  I just don't have that kind of time, and I'm a stick burner, so that's a lot of time tending a fire!  

Honestly, wrapping in butcher paper, I find that the bark is still just fine.  And the last brisket I smoked (about a month ago) I smoked through a full day, wrapped like I normally would, then when it was done, I refrigerated it overnight (so I wouldn't have to deal with timing the dinner).  When I re-heated in the oven the next day at 250, I had it unwrapped, put some pats of butter on top (along with the rendered fat that had drained off and solidified in the fridge) and it was maybe the most moist and perfect bark yet.  

So there are several ways to skin the cat, but I'm not convinced the extra time and attention to keep it unwrapped the whole time are really worth it.  And I think with some of the rendered fat drippage when it's unwrapped it loses some of the moisture, too.  Not sure I'll ever do one again fully unwrapped if I'm being perfectly honest.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 12:17 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Yeah it seems everyone wraps pork butt in foil. I always wonder how much rub actually contributes to a pork butt because once you shred it only the pieces that have the outer bark will have it on them. Salt will penetrate, but not most other things.

I’m basically interested in brisket, pork butt and ribs, but brisket is what I really like doing as of now, but who knows how that will change over the years?

I question how big of a role the rub truly plays on the pulled pork, though I am less inclined to douse it in sauce and try to appreciate the natural flavor with maybe a little vinegar based sauce on top. 

Reply/Quote

It can take on too much smoke and the bark can get bitter. The main point in wrapping is to protect the meat against too much smoke. The other point is to help speed up the cooking process a bit. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 01:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I question how big of a role the rub truly plays on the pulled pork, though I am less inclined to douse it in sauce and try to appreciate the natural flavor with maybe a little vinegar based sauce on top. 

Seasoning a pork but 100% plays a part in how it tastes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 01:33 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It can take on too much smoke and the bark can get bitter. The main point in wrapping is to protect the meat against too much smoke. The other point is to help speed up the cooking process a bit. 

I've always heard pretty consistently that meat won't take on any more smoke flavor after about 5-6 hours.  After that, it's really just the heat and not flavor you're getting from leaving it in the smoker.  Unless you're burning a dirty fire for another 12 hours I don't think you'd end up bitter bark or any off flavors.  In the ones I've done fully unwrapped for 18 hours I didn't notice any more smoke flavor than wrapping after 6 hours.  And definitely no bitterness.  The main points in wrapping (in my experience and from others I've talked to) is about getting over the temp stall faster and preventing the meat from drying out).  I'd be really curious to hear of someone who "over" smoked or got bitterness, and what led to it happening, because time alone shouldn't be the culprit.  
Reply/Quote
And another question. It sounds wrong to do on an aesthetic level, (probably not the correct word) but technically once you wrap a butt in foil is there any reason not to put it in the oven?

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 02:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And another question. It sounds wrong to do on an aesthetic level, (probably not the correct word) but technically once you wrap a butt in foil is there any reason not to put it in the oven?

No, you can put it in the oven.  Some people like to keep in the smoker because it's easier to leave it in one place throughout, but since there's no more flavor coming in when it's foil wrapped, you'd be just fine with the oven to finish it off.  I'd done this myself, and at some points in the past even tossed it in the crock pot to finish as well. 
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 02:46 PM)michaelsean Wrote: And another question. It sounds wrong to do on an aesthetic level, (probably not the correct word) but technically once you wrap a butt in foil is there any reason not to put it in the oven?

I was actually just thinking of this when I did my butt the other day. I was getting dangerously low on pellets after I wrapped it and I thought "why the hell dont I just move this to the oven at 275 if its wrapped and not taking on any more smoke?". I think I may start doing this. It will save me on pellets and I can just keep checking on it at the convenience of being inside.  
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2021, 04:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I was actually just thinking of this when I did my butt the other day. I was getting dangerously low on pellets after I wrapped it and I thought "why the hell dont I just move this to the oven at 275 if its wrapped and not taking on any more smoke?". I think I may start doing this. It will save me on pellets and I can just keep checking on it at the convenience of being inside.  

Another benefit is that your house will smell like BBQ for the next three days if you go that route  Smirk
Reply/Quote