Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just got my first smoker
(01-28-2021, 12:31 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: I've done a couple of them unwrapped the whole time.  The crust was perfect.  Just amazing.  The downside was the time and keeping the flat moist.  Spritz with my water/apple cider vinegar mix every 45 minutes or so on the flat especially, but parts of the point, too.  And the last one I did like that was Mother's Day and I smoked for about 19 hours to get it done (14 lb brisket at 250).  I just don't have that kind of time, and I'm a stick burner, so that's a lot of time tending a fire!  

Honestly, wrapping in butcher paper, I find that the bark is still just fine.  And the last brisket I smoked (about a month ago) I smoked through a full day, wrapped like I normally would, then when it was done, I refrigerated it overnight (so I wouldn't have to deal with timing the dinner).  When I re-heated in the oven the next day at 250, I had it unwrapped, put some pats of butter on top (along with the rendered fat that had drained off and solidified in the fridge) and it was maybe the most moist and perfect bark yet.  

So there are several ways to skin the cat, but I'm not convinced the extra time and attention to keep it unwrapped the whole time are really worth it.  And I think with some of the rendered fat drippage when it's unwrapped it loses some of the moisture, too.  Not sure I'll ever do one again fully unwrapped if I'm being perfectly honest.  

I've done them both ways and prefer unwrapped. I alternate between spraying it with apple cider and sundrop one time, then smearing on some butter the next.

(01-28-2021, 01:26 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: I question how big of a role the rub truly plays on the pulled pork, though I am less inclined to douse it in sauce and try to appreciate the natural flavor with maybe a little vinegar based sauce on top. 

I tried a couple without rub. It does effect the flavor, but the bigger issue was the moisture. The ones without rub were a lot drier. I dunno the science of it, but rubs help keep the moisture in, which is a big part of cooking anything slow.
Reply/Quote
So I was planning to smoke a tri-tip today, but since moisture and electricity don't mix, the snow (soon to switch to rain) killed that plan. Instead I will be doing it Super Bowl Sunday. Anyone who has ever smoked one before, I welcome your tips and suggestions. I've made plenty of them on the grill, but this will be my first attempt at smoking one.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 12:19 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So I was planning to smoke a tri-tip today, but since moisture and electricity don't mix, the snow (soon to switch to rain) killed that plan.  Instead I will be doing it Super Bowl Sunday.  Anyone who has ever smoked one before, I welcome your tips and suggestions.  I've made plenty of them on the grill, but this will be my first attempt at smoking one.

What's the benefit of smoking a piece of meat like tri tip? It seems like a cut of meat like tri tip would benefit most from a good sear and hot grill. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
Is tri tip a fairly new cut of meat like the flat iron steak? I swear I never heard of it a year ago and now I hear about it all the time. Seemed to come around about the same time as reverse searing became all the rage
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 01:14 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: What's the benefit of smoking a piece of meat like tri tip? It seems like a cut of meat like tri tip would benefit most from a good sear and hot grill. 

I believe the traditional Santa Maria cooking method is a low and slow, which is why I wanted to try it.  I think it was burried in a pit for that method.

I have always grilled it in the past, but not at a high heat as it can get tough that way.  A quick sear on the outside, then low temp for the remainder.  The last few times I cooked it in a sous vide at 120, then through it onto a stupid hot grill to sear the outside with nice results.

(01-31-2021, 04:09 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is tri tip a fairly new cut of meat like the flat iron steak?  I swear I never heard of it a year ago and now I hear about it all the time.  Seemed to come around about the same time as reverse searing became all the rage

No, it has been around forever.  There are only 2 pieces per cow, and outside of the West Coast, butchers weren't cutting it off of the remainder of the primal cut and selling it.  So for much of the US it would end up going into ground beef.  It used to be cheap on the West Coast, but thanks to it's popularity growing around the remainder of the country, it is getting pricier to meet the demand, despite the increase in supply.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:40 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I believe the traditional Santa Maria cooking method is a low and slow, which is why I wanted to try it.  I think it was burried in a pit for that method.

I have always grilled it in the past, but not at a high heat as it can get tough that way.  A quick sear on the outside, then low temp for the remainder.  The last few times I cooked it in a sous vide at 120, then through it onto a stupid hot grill to sear the outside with nice results.

No, it has been around forever.  There are only 2 pieces per cow, and outside of the West Coast, butchers weren't cutting it off of the remainder of the primal cut and selling it.  So for much of the US it would end up going into ground beef.  It used to be cheap on the West Coast, but thanks to it's popularity growing around the remainder of the country, it is getting pricier to meet the demand, despite the increase in supply.

I just bought one at Jungle Jims today. Let me know how it goes. 
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:40 AM)Benton Wrote: I've done them both ways and prefer unwrapped. I alternate between spraying it with apple cider and sundrop one time, then smearing on some butter the next.

I tried a couple without rub. It does effect the flavor, but the bigger issue was the moisture. The ones without rub were a lot drier. I dunno the science of it, but rubs help keep the moisture in, which is a big part of cooking anything slow.

Yea, for me moisture has become my focus
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 04:40 AM)Benton Wrote: I've done them both ways and prefer unwrapped. I alternate between spraying it with apple cider and sundrop one time, then smearing on some butter the next.

I think the salt in a rub is probably the key to the moisture being better when a rub is used.  There's plenty of science on why a brine produces more moisture than no brine, but essentially the rub acts like a brine and so ends up helping keep the meat more moist than if there was no rub.  

I don't know for sure, but I also suspect that a good bark helps hold moisture in the meat as well as it forms somewhat of a "casing" around the meat.  The rub will definitely help with bark creation, though the actual elements of the rub will determine how.
Reply/Quote
Going to Spatchcock a turkey in the smoker for the big game. I've never tried it.

It's currently in a brine consisting of kosher salt, lemon peels, garlic, and brown sugar, will take it out after 16 hours and smoke for about 8.

Anybody have any tips? I'm using a Brinkman Gourmet Electric Smoker with apple wood chips and lava rocks
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 05:18 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Going to Spatchcock a turkey in the smoker for the big game. I've never tried it.

It's currently in a brine consisting of kosher salt, lemon peels, garlic, and brown sugar, will take it out after 16 hours and smoke for about 8.

Anybody have any tips? I'm using a Brinkman Gourmet Electric Smoker with apple wood chips and lava rocks

That sounds awesome!  Brines help so much when doing poultry.  Just make sure to rinse it off before cooking.  Then I'll sprinkle a new salt and pepper on the bird before actually smoking, just like I would for normal smoked meat.  

I've never spatchcocked, always just smoked turkeys whole.  What I've done in the past is to put a pan under the bird to catch any drippings while it smokes.  After 5-6 hours, I've put the bird into that pan (so it's sitting in its own juice), put pieces of butter all of the top of the bird, tented with foil and let it finish till the breast was 165*.  Let it rest an hour then carve it up.  They've always been super moist and perfectly smoky.  I've quartered an onion and maybe a few lemon or apple slices and tossed them in the cavity for the smoke.  Can't say I've ever noticed specific notes from that in the meat, though.  I've used all apple wood, a mix of apple and pecan, all pecan and oak and apple mixed.  They've all turned out well.  

I understand from those that prefer the method that spatchcock will cook more evenly, but I've never had an issue doing it whole.  I'd probably use two pans if I did spatchcock, because it just takes up so much more real estate, but I really love that last phase of the butter and cooking it to keep everything full of flavor and moisture.  

Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out! 
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 05:36 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That sounds awesome!  Brines help so much when doing poultry.  Just make sure to rinse it off before cooking.  Then I'll sprinkle a new salt and pepper on the bird before actually smoking, just like I would for normal smoked meat.  

I've never spatchcocked, always just smoked turkeys whole.  What I've done in the past is to put a pan under the bird to catch any drippings while it smokes.  After 5-6 hours, I've put the bird into that pan (so it's sitting in its own juice), put pieces of butter all of the top of the bird, tented with foil and let it finish till the breast was 165*.  Let it rest an hour then carve it up.  They've always been super moist and perfectly smoky.  I've quartered an onion and maybe a few lemon or apple slices and tossed them in the cavity for the smoke.  Can't say I've ever noticed specific notes from that in the meat, though.  I've used all apple wood, a mix of apple and pecan, all pecan and oak and apple mixed.  They've all turned out well.  

I understand from those that prefer the method that spatchcock will cook more evenly, but I've never had an issue doing it whole.  I'd probably use two pans if I did spatchcock, because it just takes up so much more real estate, but I really love that last phase of the butter and cooking it to keep everything full of flavor and moisture.  

Looking forward to hearing how yours turns out! 

Thanks, the wife wants to brown it in the oven after smoking for about 6 hours. Not sure if we will go that route or not. I will tell her about your method of cooking on pan in smoker. I do have a tray catching the drippings. 

Reply/Quote
[Image: 147359732_3772390969463267_5416725478696...e=604625CE]

I had forgotten all about this electric smoker I had. 

Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 09:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 147359732_3772390969463267_5416725478696...e=604625CE]

That's a pretty bird.

I don't think I would ever smoke one though.  I have fried turkey down to perfection and would find it a disappointment prepared any other way.
Reply/Quote
(01-31-2021, 09:03 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: I just bought one at Jungle Jims today. Let me know how it goes. 

So we have snow coming in overnight, so I moved the tri-tip up to tonight's dinner.  Freakin' delicious.  I just rubbed it with salt and pepper, and smoked it with Post Oak at 225° for 30 minutes per pound, then a quick sear.  Wrapped it in foil to rest, then sliced and enjoyed.  I should have seared it a little longer than I did on each side, but it was still good (I did it on the sear burner on my grill, and our newish fence blocks the outdoor light.  It looked well seared, but alas it was not).  Also, it should be allowed to rest at least 20 minutes.  I could only give it 5 to 10 because she made and plated the sides a little early, and we didn't want them to be cold.
Reply/Quote
(02-06-2021, 09:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: [Image: 147359732_3772390969463267_5416725478696...e=604625CE]

That looks fantastic! I love the bark a brisket gets, but I love just as much all the color poultry takes on. A thing of beauty!

(02-06-2021, 10:22 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: So we have snow coming in overnight, so I moved the tri-tip up to tonight's dinner.  Freakin' delicious.  I just rubbed it with salt and pepper, and smoked it with Post Oak at 225° for 30 minutes per pound, then a quick sear.  Wrapped it in foil to rest, then sliced and enjoyed.  I should have seared it a little longer than I did on each side, but it was still good (I did it on the sear burner on my grill, and our newish fence blocks the outdoor light.  It looked well seared, but alas it was not).  Also, it should be allowed to rest at least 20 minutes.  I could only give it 5 to 10 because she made and plated the sides a little early, and we didn't want them to be cold.

Glad it turned out well! I've smoked a lot of parts of beef, but never a tri tip. I'll have to give a try sometime.
Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 03:48 PM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That looks fantastic!  I love the bark a brisket gets, but I love just as much all the color poultry takes on.  A thing of beauty!

The family is sitting around with their bellies full and the turkey was the most moist bird I've ever eaten. It was delicious and folks were scrapping the carcass to get the last amount. 

Told the fam that I'm going to buy a fryer and fry one next time. The brother-in-law said don't ever do anything other than what you just did.

I don't say this to brag, just to motivate others who may be thinking about it. I did nothing but soak it in a brine, pull the spine, crush the chest, and smoke it on an inexpensive electric smoker with wet wood chips. I'm sure the pros could put me to shame, 

Reply/Quote
(02-07-2021, 07:16 PM)bfine32 Wrote: The family is sitting around with their bellies full and the turkey was the most moist bird I've ever eaten. It was delicious and folks were scrapping the carcass to get the last amount. 

Told the fam that I'm going to buy a fryer and fry one next time. The brother-in-law said don't ever do anything other than what you just did.

I don't say this to brag, just to motivate others who may be thinking about it. I did nothing but soak it in a brine, pull the spine, crush the chest, and smoke it on an inexpensive electric smoker with wet wood chips. I'm sure the pros could put me to shame, 

That's awesome.  You can get fancy with your smoker, you can fancy with your brine recipe, or your rubs or sauces.  But end of the day, you did exactly the same steps anyone - even a pro - would do to get a great smoked bird.  

It's funny you say that about frying.  I said the same thing a few years ago when I started smoking a turkey on Thanksgiving along with oven-roasting one.  I can't even get people to eat the oven bird, even though it's also been brined and ends up awesome.  Everyone wants the smoke.  

I think a lot of people overthink smoking.  It's time consuming, so a lot of folks assume it's also hard.  It's not.  It takes practice to perfect it on your own system, but it's very simple.  Heat + clean wood smoke = great results :) 
Reply/Quote
I made another pork butt for the game yesterday (turned out great) but the star of the show was the smoke queso dip I made below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4bhmC-FHNn4

HIGHLY recommend. This stuff was too good.
Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 02:09 AM)MileHighGrowler Wrote: That's awesome.  You can get fancy with your smoker, you can fancy with your brine recipe, or your rubs or sauces.  But end of the day, you did exactly the same steps anyone - even a pro - would do to get a great smoked bird.  

It's funny you say that about frying.  I said the same thing a few years ago when I started smoking a turkey on Thanksgiving along with oven-roasting one.  I can't even get people to eat the oven bird, even though it's also been brined and ends up awesome.  Everyone wants the smoke.  

I think a lot of people overthink smoking.  It's time consuming, so a lot of folks assume it's also hard.  It's not.  It takes practice to perfect it on your own system, but it's very simple.  Heat + clean wood smoke = great results :) 

Do you brine even if it's one of those pre-brined store bought turkeys?  At Thanksgiving I opted not to because I wasn't sure.  The internet of course was no help with half saying brine it anyway and the other half saying don't do it.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(02-08-2021, 11:56 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Do you brine even if it's one of those pre-brined store bought turkeys?  At Thanksgiving I opted not to because I wasn't sure.  The internet of course was no help with half saying brine it anyway and the other half saying don't do it.  

I have, yes.  I'll rinse the bird off first then make my own brine.  Here's the thing: the "brine" they put in those bags is just a saline solution, so it's not a full flavor brine like you or I would use.  It's also not a lot in the bag.  When I make a brine and I've got orange peels and spices and sugar and the bird is completely submerged in it, I think it's different than just being in a simple saline solution inside the bag.  I also figure that usually with a brine you're looking at say an hour per pound.  If what was in the bag was truly a brine, it would have been over-brined before you ever bought it.  

So I just rinse that crap off (if it had any - I prefer to just get the ones without) and then do my own brine, either wet in a big pot, or a dry brine (which I'm really starting to appreciate more for the lack of mess, but it's more limited since it's not a cold "soup" I'm putting the bird in). 
Reply/Quote