Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just how good is the AFC North ?
I've seen a lot of posters talking about how tough the AFC North is, best division in football and so on. But is it really ?

Let's start off at the top:

Ravens - 14-2 obviously they're at the top and one of the best teams in the NFL. There's probably a decent chance they'll sweep us ! However, a lot can happen between now and Nov. Dec. whenever the 2nd game is ? Still if they come back anything like last season a win against them is unlikely. But now there's the other two:

Steelers - 8-8 they were damn lucky to finish 8-8 last season with Big Jen out. He'll be closing in on 39 when the season starts and having missed basically a full season just how good will he be ? They didn't get much in the draft and Bell and Brown are gone, they don't scare me much. Their defense is good but just how good are they really ? They played a pretty soft schedule last season which probably padded their defensive stats a good bit.

5-11 Chargers, of course 2 games vs. us, got a win vs. a 6-10 Browns team that wasn't setting any records on O, played the LA Rams when they were struggling the Rams only scored 12 points, but they weren't scoring on anybody, they lost to the Jets ! I'm just not convinced their D is all world. I believe at a minimum we can split with them and a sweep isn't out of the question, hopefully Burrow isn't afraid of them.

Browns - 6-10 It seems some peeps believe Cleveland is on the brink of being good/great ? I'm not buying it. I strongly feel they still need a QB ! I'd be shocked if we don't at least split with them and in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised at us sweeping them. I just don't buy they're that close.

I think we will at least go 3-3, I really do. I believe many are way over rating the Division besides the Ravens.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Bell and Brown were gone last year too. Their defense is gonna be right near the top again. The Steelers could take over at the top IMHO.. I think Lamar will be slowed down this year... I'm hoping the Bengals offense is a juggernaut with Burrow at the Helm and they go 14-2 though.. I see it as of now. Stealers 1 , Ravens 2, Bengals 3, Browns 4...
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 09:30 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I've seen a lot of posters talking about how tough the AFC North is, best division in football and so on. But is it really ?

Let's start off at the top:

Ravens - 14-2 obviously they're at the top and one of the best teams in the NFL. There's probably a decent chance they'll sweep us ! However, a lot can happen between now and Nov. Dec. whenever the 2nd game is ? Still if they come back anything like last season a win against them is unlikely. But now there's the other two:

Steelers - 8-8 they were damn lucky to finish 8-8 last season with Big Jen out. He'll be closing in on 39 when the season starts and having missed basically a full season just how good will he be ? They didn't get much in the draft and Bell and Brown are gone, they don't scare me much. Their defense is good but just how good are they really ? They played a pretty soft schedule last season which probably padded their defensive stats a good bit.

5-11 Chargers, of course 2 games vs. us, got a win vs. a 6-10 Browns team that wasn't setting any records on O, played the LA Rams when they were struggling the Rams only scored 12 points, but they weren't scoring on anybody, they lost to the Jets ! I'm just not convinced their D is all world. I believe at a minimum we can split with them and a sweep isn't out of the question, hopefully Burrow isn't afraid of them.

Browns - 6-10 It seems some peeps believe Cleveland is on the brink of being good/great ? I'm not buying it. I strongly feel they still need a QB ! I'd be shocked if we don't at least split with them and in fact I wouldn't be at all surprised at us sweeping them. I just don't buy they're that close.

I think we will at least go 3-3, I really do. I believe many are way over rating the Division besides the Ravens.

The fact the Steelers went 8-8 with Ben probably means they would have won 11-12 games with him. They will be good
Reply/Quote
1. Ravens
2. Steelers
3. Bengals
4. Browns
Everything in this post is my fault.
Reply/Quote
Steelers 11-5
Browns 9-7 tie breaker over ravens
Ravens 9-7 (Lamar misses 2-3 games)
Bengals 6-10 or 7-9

Division: 2-4
Browns w
Browns L
Ravens L
Ravens w
Steelers L
Steelers L

Remaining Home: 3-2
Chargers W
Cowboys L
Giants W
Jaguars W
Titans L

Remaining Away: 1-4/2-3
Colts L
Dolphins L/W
Eagles L
Redskins W
Texans L
Reply/Quote
I'm still wondering when the Chargers moved to the AFCN???
Reply/Quote
The Ravens scare me, they’re right there with KC as the best of the AFC, and I will never count Pittsburgh out while Ben is playing, especially with how good their defense is again. The Browns who knows, but if everything goes right for us (AJ stays healthy, Jonah plays well, Burrow is who we think he is, etc) I think they could find themselves back in the basement.

Idk if the AFCN will be back to being the absolute best division in the league like it was for so long, but it’s going to be up there.

Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 10:47 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm still wondering when the Chargers moved to the AFCN???

He was pointing out who the Steelers beat last season...

Reply/Quote
I'm just not buying that the Steelers are that tough or are gonna be this season. Like 5 of their wins last season were against the bottom of the barrel and I doubt we see Big Jen of 5 years ago coming back. Big Jen is at the point in his career that QB's not named Brady drop off. Cleveland isn't the sane team that won 5 games over 3 seasons or whatever for sure but I'm not convinced they're all that.

Perhaps I'm wrong ?
Reply/Quote
I think as little as 2 games could seperate the 1st and
4th place team.

The Steelers get Ben back. But 38 is 38. His play was
Slowly in decline in 2018. He has always had
A Game changing WR at his disposal.
Wallace Brown Ward Bryant etc
Schuster is a tier below.
But they did sign Ebron which is under the radar
Good signing.
Defensely they will be very sound again.

The Ravens are loaded on both sides of the ball
The trick with them is scoring 1st
If they get a lead on you it makes Lamar so much harder
To beat. Him and Hollywood Brown are just scratching
The surface together
Best team in the AFC North

The Browns are intresting. They actually beat the
Ravens by 15 last year but lost to the Bengals
This is a do or die year for him
He is under the most pressure of the North QBS
Stefanski is still a 1st year coach.let's keep that in mind
Reply/Quote
The Ravens and Steelers will come out strong & compete for a playoff spot. Can the Browns and Bengals improve enough to do the same? Overall, it's a strong division and will have well-known QBs in Lamar, Big Ben, Baker, and Burrow.
Reply/Quote
I'm not that impressed with the Ravens. If the new backers shut down the run lanes for Lamar that's half of Baltimore's game.
Reply/Quote
The Browns HC has Keenum on the bench and he made it to the NFC championship game with him in Min. If Baker flops he's getting benched.
Reply/Quote
AFCN you say? Really really good honestly.

Here is how I see it:

1) NFCW -- 49ers were in the SB last year, Rams in the SB 2 years ago, Seahawks still have RW and the Cardinals are up and coming with Hopkins and Murray. Tough division.
2) AFCN -- Ravens, Browns and Steelers all have playoff potential. Bengals have Burrow and will be looking better
3) NFCS -- Brees and Brady. This could end up having two 13 win teams... Will be interesting to see how good TB is this year
4) NFCE -- We used to talk about the Dalton line... this division is the Dalton line of divisions.. always has an 8-8 or 9-7 winner.
5) NFCN -- Disgruntled Rodgers Packers, declining Bears with a QB identity problem, Vikings got gutted on defense and lost Diggs. This division is on the decline after being a tough one a few years ago
6) AFCS -- Titans had a great year last year, but I feel they will perform worse in 2020. Texans lost Hopkins. Colts are okay and Jags have issues
7) AFCW -- Chiefs are the champs, but Broncos, Raiders and Chargers aren't much of a threat
8) AFCE -- No Brady. There are some up and coming teams in this division like the Bills, but I think last year was a good year for them. I expect a worse year this year
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 11:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not that impressed with the Ravens. If the new backers shut down the run lanes for Lamar that's half of Baltimore's game.

I'm not predicting the Ravens imminent demise. However I have to question how long LJ can sustain his style of play and how when he stops running so much will it effect his game ?

I don't think he can keep it up much longer.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:08 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I'm not predicting the Ravens imminent demise. However I have to question how long LJ can sustain his style of play and how when he stops running so much will it effect his game ?

I don't think he can keep it up much longer.

It's wishful thinking, LJ hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Russell Wilson runs around plenty and hasn't had any problems. Not every QB is going to end up like RG3.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's wishful thinking, LJ hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Russell Wilson runs around plenty and hasn't had any problems. Not every QB is going to end up like RG3.

RW has a near other wordly ability to avoid big hits. If LJ is going to sustain his running game he's going to have to tap his inner RW.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:05 PM)Nately120 Wrote: The Browns HC has Keenum on the bench and he made it to the NFC championship game with him in Min.  If Baker flops he's getting benched.

I forgot about Keenum, hmmmmmm

I just highly doubt Baker Hayfield is their long term answer.
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 12:20 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: I forgot about Keenum, hmmmmmm

I just highly doubt Baker Hayfield is their long term answer.

Hard to say, Kitchens was awful and they lost 4 games by a score or less so things could turn around. 

I will say it's pure off-season fandom where our QB is set for 10+ years and the other 3 teams are all going to have their QBs peter out very soon.

Burrow is bodacious 
Ben is busted
Baker is a bust
Jackson is beat up and has the shelf life of an XFL RB
Reply/Quote
(05-06-2020, 11:58 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I'm not that impressed with the Ravens. If the new backers shut down the run lanes for Lamar that's half of Baltimore's game.

It's really not.

If you take away every single one of Lamar's rushing yards, the 2019 Ravens STILL have the 7th running game in the league to go with their 4th overall/3rd scoring ranked defense. (And the best kicker in the league.)

The Ravens right now are a complete team.

(05-06-2020, 12:15 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: It's wishful thinking, LJ hasn't shown any signs of slowing down. Russell Wilson runs around plenty and hasn't had any problems. Not every QB is going to end up like RG3.

Wilson recognized the danger and changed his game early on to specifically avoid taking extra hits while running in order to extend his career. He's a pretty prolific QB slider (maybe because he was both a college and minor league baseball player?). 

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000993462/article/mike-vick-to-lamar-jackson-proceed-with-caution
Quote:Some signal-callers own an uncanny ability to avoid taking huge shots. Russell Wilson is the preeminent player in this regard, always seeming to get down or out of trouble before the defender can land a big blow.

You can run as a QB, you just can't take the extra hits. Even Newton who is built like a superhero eventually started falling apart well before a normal QB would have. His style might cost him 8 years of career length, because QBs like Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, Tom Brady played at a high level to age 40, and Drew Brees is still tearing it up into his 40s. Rodgers is heading into his age 37 season. I just don't see any running QB being able to do that. Just look at what happened to Andrew Luck when he didn't learn to avoid taking extra hits.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote