Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just read Hobspin's media mock......
(03-24-2018, 07:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lap has mentioned Hernandez then a center in round 2.  Or McGlinchy in round one and a center in 2.  

Mentioned anchor ability and says Hernandez has amazing ability to anchor and drive off the ball.   Also mentioned if they go that route Redmond could challenge at RT and Westerman could challenge at Center.

If we got Hernandez or McGlinchey in round 1 and Price or Ragnow in round 2 we be good man. Cool

(03-24-2018, 07:31 PM)McC Wrote: I think it would be wise to proceed as if Westerman will never be any good at C and draft a damn top rated C instead of doing everything else but.  If they wanna pencil Westerman in at RG, I can live with that.

The thing about Westerman is he is more of a LG than a RG and has always been mentioned playing Center in the NFL.

Still floating the possibility of Boling maybe playing RT in a pinch if we needed to get the best players on the field.

(03-24-2018, 07:34 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: I get the feeling they may not even be counting on westerman for anything,   I also believe this was part of the deal to get Pollack to come here,  Multiple high selections,  

For them the ideal line is probably Glenn/Boling/Rookie/Rookie/Fisher or Hart.  

They would also be happy with Glenn/Boling/Rookie/Westerman/Rookie

I hope they are not counting on anything and you are correct. Draft the hell out of O-line and let the competition begin.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 04:50 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Oh, it's possible.  It's also been rumored that the Bengal braintrust listened to Pittsburgh talk radio, in order to know to take Willie Jackson one slot ahead of where the Steelers wanted him.  Ninja

I love Da Ron Payne,he is a all out beast and probably the best run stuffer in this draft and I have him on my board as well.I think its hard to fine a guy like him and he is 1st rate talent.If we don't grab him the steelers will.Him next to Geno is going to be stud time.This guy is super strong,has a big time nasty streak and loves to get after it.He will be gone before the 1st round is over and I also feel a great need for a CENTER, and I truly believe we will draft a super good one before round 3 is over.We also need a stud linebacker,a safety and a DE. All those will be had by round 6.I am starting to believe in Duke Tobin and our new staff will get it right.We could also do some trading in later rounds and I am think they will offer round 5 or 6 to move up if they see a guy they truly want.We do not need 11 picks,just top 6 to get our guys, and I think they know that as with 11 picks some of those later picks will never see the field,why not do some trading and come up with like 7 picks over all and make them count.I wish the draft was here already.I miss football.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2018, 03:36 PM)fortyyearfan Wrote: I love Da Ron Payne,he is a all out beast and probably the best run stuffer in this draft and I have him on my board as well.I think its hard to fine a guy like him and he is 1st rate talent.If we don't grab him the steelers will.Him next to Geno is going to be stud time.This guy is super strong,has a big time nasty streak and loves to get after it.He will be gone before the 1st round is over and I also feel a great need for a CENTER, and I truly believe we will draft a super good one before round 3 is over.We also need a stud linebacker,a safety and a DE. All those will be had by round 6.I am starting to believe in Duke Tobin and our new staff will get it right.We could also do some trading in later rounds and I am think they will offer round 5 or 6 to move up if they see a guy they truly want.We do not need 11 picks,just top 6 to get our guys, and I think they know that as with 11 picks some of those later picks will never see the field,why not do some trading and come up with like 7 picks over all and make them count.I wish the draft was here already.I miss football.

He very well could be long gone before we even draft.
Reply/Quote
Sorry, but you don't draft a Run Stuffer in the 1st.
Run Stuffing DT's are plentiful and we already have a couple on the team. So why???

We need C/RT/TE/DB/LB help waaay before we need to worry about a Run Stuffing DT.

I also don't think they will draft a RT, it will be Ced's Job now.
Glenn/Boling/Draftee/Westerman/Ogbuehi

We can get a good center in the 2nd or 3rd. Prefer Price, but Daniels will most likely be our pick due to Price getting picked before we pick in the 2nd cause everyone and their mother know we will need a C.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 03:23 AM)Bilbo Saggins Wrote: Payne at 21 would make me happy and he'd be a really good pick IMO.  I like him better as a prospect than I do Vea.  He's already a pro-ready run stuffer who commanded double teams and has room to grow as a pass rusher.  At 311 lbs. and his athleticism, he could probably improve in that area.  The holes on the o-line are still there, but with this draft I don't see a huge dropoff in talent from the 1st and 2nd round rated guys.  They could potentially use their extra picks to nab another second rounder and get a good center and tackle.  

Vea is a big beasty DT and may go top 10. We can't get him. While Glenn helps the O-line a lot, We inevitably look hard at who is good. We ALSO have a NEW line coach. I think we MIGHT see big improvement in some guy we pretty much gave up on.

our slot in rd 1 is about where many see the best c going.  I can't study hours of video, so, not sure who that is. I saw Price several times, was impressed.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 12:19 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Sorry, but you don't draft a Run Stuffer in the 1st.
Run Stuffing DT's are plentiful and we already have a couple on the team. So why???

We need C/RT/TE/DB/LB help waaay before we need to worry about a Run Stuffing DT.

I also don't think they will draft a RT, it will be Ced's Job now.
Glenn/Boling/Draftee/Westerman/Ogbuehi

We can get a good center in the 2nd or 3rd. Prefer Price, but Daniels will most likely be our pick due to Price getting picked before we pick in the 2nd cause everyone and their mother know we will need a C.

Nah Mike, Og is the backup LT now and that is it. Fisher is better than Og at RT already. It will either be him or a Draft pick.

Highly doubt Hart even makes the team.

(03-27-2018, 12:46 PM)redwood Wrote: Vea is a big beasty DT and may go top 10. We can't get him. While Glenn helps the O-line a lot, We inevitably look hard at who is good. We ALSO have a NEW line coach. I think we MIGHT see big improvement in some guy we pretty much gave up on.

our slot in rd 1 is about where many see the best c going.  I can't study hours of video, so, not sure who that is. I saw Price several times, was impressed.

Agree with all of this, Price would have to be the guy we pick or if Pollack likes him better, Ragnow.

These two just fit our Division and what Pollack has been talking about. They can handle the big NT's one on one right in their
face. Nothing against Daniels but he would struggle with this in our Division with his lack of core strength. He has, everything
else, but in the end this is everything in the AFC North. Have to have core strength and an anchor to hold up against big NT's.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 01:23 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: They couldn’t even beat out blodine.  Some lessons are apparently never learned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couldnt beat him out, or likely werent given the chance? Remember how Marvin hates to supplant struggling starters with depth guys.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
I honestly can see vita vea dropping and we draft him or taking payne ,the way they are emphasizing stopping the run and turnovers. I think Austin loves a big nose tackle and a safety who can ball hawk.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 01:13 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Couldnt beat him out, or likely werent given the chance? Remember how Marvin hates to supplant struggling starters with depth guys.

PA liked to play favorites too, don't forget that. Bodine was a favorite to PA.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 01:25 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I honestly can see vita vea dropping and we draft him or taking payne ,the way they are emphasizing stopping the run and turnovers. I think Austin loves a big nose tackle and a safety who can ball hawk.

I think the reality is going to be that Payne and possibly another DT are drafted in front of Vea.  I think too many teams view him as a true 3-4 NT (which I don't agree with) and it will push him down the board a little.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 01:25 PM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: I honestly can see vita vea dropping and we draft him or taking payne ,the way they are emphasizing stopping the run and turnovers. I think Austin loves a big nose tackle and a safety who can ball hawk.
I wouldn't be upset if that happened. Our defense needs to improve and that would help. We could even draft a C later hoping he is 30% better than Bodine ever was.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 02:04 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think the reality is going to be that Payne and possibly another DT are drafted in front of Vea.  I think too many teams view him as a true 3-4 NT (which I don't agree with) and it will push him down the board a little.

(03-27-2018, 02:30 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I wouldn't be upset if that happened. Our defense needs to improve and that would help. We could even draft a C later hoping he is 30% better than Bodine ever was.

Would be very happy with Vea at 21 if he fell that far, same with Payne, they aren't 3-techs so i don't think we would use it
as a reason to not bring Geno back. Would have some really good competition at DT and we need to stop the run much
better than we did last season, that was sad.

Vea and then Price or Ragnow would be a great start to improving stopping the run and running the ball.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 01:13 PM)yellowxdiscipline Wrote: Couldnt beat him out, or likely werent given the chance? Remember how Marvin hates to supplant struggling starters with depth guys.

Couldn't.  Didn't.  I doubt that the coaches would would keep a superior player on the bench.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 06:55 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: Couldn't.  Didn't.  I doubt that the coaches would would keep a superior player on the bench.

Why? They have done it before, many times. Dunlap, Sims, Mathis, Atkins and lately WJ3 all sat under clearly worse players
at one time or another even though they were clearly superior in most people's eyes. TJ Johnson looked better than Bodine
in that one Ravens game where he got a chance to show it. Doesn't mean he is better but PA clearly played favorites here,
many times. Other coaches as well.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 07:01 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why? They have done it before, many times. Dunlap, Sims, Mathis, Atkins and lately WJ3 all sat under clearly worse players
at one time or another even though they were clearly superior in most people's eyes. TJ Johnson looked better than Bodine
in that one Ravens game where he got a chance to show it. Doesn't mean he is better but PA clearly played favorites here,
many times. Other coaches as well.

I knew this type of reply was coming.  Almost all those guys you mentioned eventually earned starting jobs.  Most younger players have to beat out a veteran, not just play as good as when merely evaluating on talent alone.  If those two guys couldn't beat out blodine the whole time he was here then I doubt they are better than him.

Regardless,  hope the bengals draft a center to improve this damn position.
Reply/Quote
(03-27-2018, 07:31 PM)BenZoo2 Wrote: I knew this type of reply was coming.  Almost all those guys you mentioned eventually earned starting jobs.  Most younger players have to beat out a veteran, not just play as good as when merely evaluating on talent alone.  If those two guys couldn't beat out blodine the whole time he was here then I doubt they are better than him.

Regardless,  hope the bengals draft a center to improve this damn position.

All true, just saying it has happened.

I hope we Draft Price or Ragnow at 21 now. I don't think either will last till 46 after Ragnow's Pro-day and Price saying he
will be ready for Training Camp. We need a Center more than any other team, might as well get the best one in the 1st.

We are in the perfect position to do just that.
Reply/Quote