Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just read Hobspin's media mock......
I'd take a RT in the first C in the second. If the bengals are even considering anything else it is just plain idiotic. We need to fix the offensive line once and for all. A good offensive line will make us 10 times better on offense. We have the weapons to put up points, we just don't have the offensive line to make it happen.

I can almost see mike brown and tobin thinking tj johnson is good enough at center, although he is definitely better than bovine. They probably think this scrub we picked up from the giants, ogbuehi, and fischer should be good enough at RT. That's just cringe worthy to think about; having three very below average tackles fighting it out for the RT position. It still means that whoever wins that camp battle you still have a bad RT.

The fact the bengals don't seem to value the center position is a serious problem. To even consider bovine for a 5 year contract made me wince. It shows, even after a horrible season on offense, mainly because of a bad offensive line, the bengals still don't value the center position. I'm a firm believer that the center position is as valuable as the left tackle.

The center sets up the line calls. He's the qb of the offensive line. He's the one snapping the ball, which is an extremely underrated quality to have. A qb usually has 2.5 second to let it go, and if he spends 1 second lunging down to grab the ball, then back to a cocked position, that's a wasted second. That could be the difference between finding someone open and not finding someone open. How many times did we see bovine snap the ball down by daltons feet; too many to even count.

The center also is probably more important in the run game than the tackles because most runs are up the middle or through the gaps. If the center gets blown off the line of scrimmage, a run up the middle or through the gaps is usually going to get stopped for a loss.

On top of all that, a good offensive line means a much better offense, which in turn helps out the defense because they are on the field less and have to defend less snaps. This allows them to be a lot fresher when they are out on the field. There is nothing worse than an offense continually going three and out and putting enormous pressure on the defense to have to go out there without any time to get their wind back.
If I win the lottery I'll spend half the money on alcohol, gambling and wild women. The other half I'll waste. 
Reply/Quote
So lemme get this straight..Hobson is or isn't the sage of Bengals draft day picks? Just because he's almost always wrong doesn't mean he'll be wrong forever. On the other hand he just might .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:32 PM)Au165 Wrote: Hobson when it comes to the draft is usually just way off. I wouldn't worry about it.

This.

(03-23-2018, 12:40 PM)jj22 Wrote: Wait to hear who Lap says we'll take. You can pretty much take that as gospel.

And this.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
Where did they even find Hobson. He looks like he's from London or some weird country and talks all weird. Probably never played the game in his life or any sport. He's just ewww.
Reply/Quote
Payne at 21 would make me happy and he'd be a really good pick IMO.  I like him better as a prospect than I do Vea.  He's already a pro-ready run stuffer who commanded double teams and has room to grow as a pass rusher.  At 311 lbs. and his athleticism, he could probably improve in that area.  The holes on the o-line are still there, but with this draft I don't see a huge dropoff in talent from the 1st and 2nd round rated guys.  They could potentially use their extra picks to nab another second rounder and get a good center and tackle.  
Reply/Quote
I think they are blowing smoke because they do not want to tip their hand who they want in the first. They just signed Chris Baker and I hope they sign Atkins to a new deal.

Payne is good. But they need O-Line in the first. RT or great guard in Wynn (who can play just about anyway) or Hernandez who is a mountain of a man. They can grab a stud Center in round 2, one of the three studs will be there.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
I like Payne a lot and wouldn't be pissed if he was the pick. He's pretty athletic for a NT.

I don't forsee it, though. Baker got 3 mil per to come here. That's not backup slappy money with this team. Glasgow and Billings aren't going anywhere, either. I don't see where he fits with 4 DTs on this team already.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 03:14 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Where did they even find Hobson. He looks like he's from London or some weird country and talks all weird. Probably never played the game in his life or any sport. He's just ewww.
Well he DOES go by the nickname Butch.. Yeah, come to think about it he does have a striking resemblance to some old lesbian ,but hey, we can't all look like Miss America .
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He has us taking De'Ron Payne, which I'm ok with, but in the sentence before that he mentions centers. According to him we have Hopkins and TJ Johnson, so center wouldn't be that high of priority, in fact he says we can get one later. Isn't this the old Bengals way of thinking? I really hope they don't revert back to just settling on someone that is just adequate and not upgrade a glaring weakness.. I know I shouldn't take Hobby serious, but.....

it's smoke
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 11:04 AM)Stewy Wrote: it's smoke

Most of the time when I read Hobson I wonder what he's been smoking.
Reply/Quote
I’m surprised we haven’t gone fa for center considering our recent history drafting there.
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 12:29 PM)sandwedge Wrote: He has us taking De'Ron Payne, which I'm ok with, but in the sentence before that he mentions centers. According to him we have Hopkins and TJ Johnson, so center wouldn't be that high of priority, in fact he says we can get one later. Isn't this the old Bengals way of thinking? I really hope they don't revert back to just settling on someone that is just adequate and not upgrade a glaring weakness.. I know I shouldn't take Hobby serious, but.....

It's the Mike Brown way of thinking.

Paul Brown valued Centers and drafted 3 in the first round when he ran the Bengals.

Neither Hopkins or TJ Johnson could beat out Bodine, so I wouldn't expect much from them unless Pollack can work magic with one of them.

Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 04:09 PM)McC Wrote: If you're gonna take a C, why the hell take the fifth best?  Take the best and put this 12 year nightmare to rest once and for all.

Clapping
Reply/Quote
It is hopefully and most likely a smoke screen. That is exactly what they should be putting out there that they are happy and comfortable with the Centers they have on roster. Especially if they are after Center.

Love Lap ! But he needs to shut his trap when he gets insider information like that or they should start using him as a puppet and feeding him false information.

This is an important draft and leaks should be inexcusable.

They should be saying we had two big needs at OT and LB which we addressed in FA in a big way. Plus we are very comfortable with the Centers on roster as well and have set ourselves up to take BPA in draft. Maybe even leak some BS about wanting one of the QB's out there.

This opens the door for trade offers more and may keep someone from trading in front of you to steal that Center you are hoping falls to you in 2nd round.

Think this piece is another good move by front office, because we all know they tell Hobs what to write.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 03:50 AM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think they are blowing smoke because they do not want to tip their hand who they want in the first.  They just signed Chris Baker and I hope they sign Atkins to a new deal.  

Payne is good.  But they need O-Line in the first.  RT or great guard in Wynn (who can play just about anyway) or Hernandez who is a mountain of a man.  They can grab a stud Center in round 2, one of the three studs will be there.

Exactly how I see it and want it to happen as well. 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 03:14 AM)bengalsturntup926 Wrote: Where did they even find Hobson. He looks like he's from London or some weird country and talks all weird. Probably never played the game in his life or any sport. He's just ewww.

Hey!   Cool
Reply/Quote
Lap has mentioned Hernandez then a center in round 2. Or McGlinchy in round one and a center in 2.

Mentioned anchor ability and says Hernandez has amazing ability to anchor and drive off the ball. Also mentioned if they go that route Redmond could challenge at RT and Westerman could challenge at Center.
Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:06 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: Lap has mentioned Hernandez then a center in round 2.  Or McGlinchy in round one and a center in 2.  

Mentioned anchor ability and says Hernandez has amazing ability to anchor and drive off the ball.   Also mentioned if they go that route Redmond could challenge at RT and Westerman could challenge at Center.

I think it would be wise to proceed as if Westerman will never be any good at C and draft a damn top rated C instead of doing everything else but.  If they wanna pencil Westerman in at RG, I can live with that.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(03-24-2018, 07:31 PM)McC Wrote: I think it would be wise to proceed as if Westerman will never be any good at C and draft a damn top rated C instead of doing everything else but.  If they wanna pencil Westerman in at RG, I can live with that.

I get the feeling they may not even be counting on westerman for anything, I also believe this was part of the deal to get Pollack to come here, Multiple high selections,

For them the ideal line is probably Glenn/Boling/Rookie/Rookie/Fisher or Hart.

They would also be happy with Glenn/Boling/Rookie/Westerman/Rookie
Reply/Quote
(03-23-2018, 04:09 PM)McC Wrote: If you're gonna take a C, why the hell take the fifth best?  Take the best and put this 12 year nightmare to rest once and for all.

Exactly!!
Reply/Quote