Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just sign Burrow already and get it over with!
(03-10-2020, 11:41 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I hope the Bengals wait until there's only a minute left on the clock to send in their pick. Why not piss off the other teams and make them wait!?!  Tongue

Exactly! Make them scramble at the last minute. 2nd team is going to have a plan a and a plan b, but from 3 on down it's a scramble.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:16 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not sure you want MB with time on his hands ... Ninja

THAT is the exact reason for my post!!! REP for you!

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 11:41 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I hope the Bengals wait until there's only a minute left on the clock to send in their pick. Why not piss off the other teams and make them wait!?! Tongue

**** that... The numbnuts that run this organization would let time expire playing around like that.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 01:11 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: I thought Taylor Mays was more recent?

And I think I VAGUELY remember there being some Chuck Norris-Nick Vigil threads. 

Ah the Vigilante threads...
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, they want drama.

I like the rookie wage scale for many reasons.

I actually really liked the idea from Iloka about not including the QB's salary in the salary cap.

This sure would free up a lot of money instead of the QB eating up so much in one player.

This would tend to undo the original premise of the cap. Small market teams would have to invest more into their payroll. 
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:44 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: This would tend to undo the original premise of the cap. Small market teams would have to invest more into their payroll. 

True, I don't know exactly how they would go about it. Just saying I liked the thought from George. Maybe what another
poster said about putting a cap on the QB salaries I don't know. I just see QB's taking so much that rosters will end up 
being decimated in the future. Imagine if Burrow plays great for us in the first few years how much it will take for us to
retain him, imagine if he wins a Super Bowl and becomes the new face of the NFL?
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 04:11 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Yeah, they want drama.

I like the rookie wage scale for many reasons.

I actually really liked the idea from Iloka about not including the QB's salary in the salary cap.

This sure would free up a lot of money instead of the QB eating up so much in one player.

What?? Sounds nice at first, but then we'd have some teams paying 50m/yr... Dallas comes to mind there.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 03:03 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: What?? Sounds nice at first, but then we'd have some teams paying 50m/yr... Dallas comes to mind there.

I forget exactly how George worded it. It was a way so teams could pay other players to keep the rosters strong.

I just see teams being decimated by one player's salary in the future, could be us honestly with Burrow in the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 03:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I forget exactly how George worded it. It was a way so teams could pay other players to keep the rosters strong.

I just see teams being decimated by one player's salary in the future, could be us honestly with Burrow in the future.

Your last paragraph is why it's so important to maximize these first few seasons of his career (ala the Legion of Boom Seahawks). If Burrow pans out, we'll have to pony up top dollar to keep him beyond his rookie contract. That usually means losing other key contributors to the team's success, and/ or having other players disgruntled with their current contract situation. Brady took less for years so the Patriots could spend in other areas... Of course he appears to be tired of doing so now that his weapons are more depleted. Of course Dalton did the same here only to watch Mike Brown not re-sign or even adequately replace key players.

As great of a player as Russell Wilson has become, that team hasn't been nearly as imposing since they had to pay him.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 03:33 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: I forget exactly how George worded it. It was a way so teams could pay other players to keep the rosters strong.

Worst part is when you have a guy who you think is THE guy, but you're not 100% sure... but you have to pay him like he is because another team would swoop in and pay him instead.

I don't think anyone thinks Rodgers/Brees/Wilson aren't worth absurd portions of their cap, but the Goff/Wentz/Garoppolo/Carrs of the league are what's hurting matters in my eyes. Elite guys are always going to get their money, but the whole QB market exploded when bad starters are making great starter money from just a couple years ago, and simply "good" starters are making just absurd money.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 04:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worst part is when you have a guy who you think is THE guy, but you're not 100% sure... but you have to pay him like he is because another team would swoop in and pay him instead.

I don't think anyone thinks Rodgers/Brees/Wilson aren't worth absurd portions of their cap, but the Goff/Wentz/Garoppolo/Carrs of the league are what's hurting matters in my eyes. Elite guys are always going to get their money, but the whole QB market exploded when bad starters are making great starter money from just a couple years ago, and simply "good" starters are making just absurd money.

You forgot Foles Wink
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 03:41 PM)jason Wrote: Your last paragraph is why it's so important to maximize these first few seasons of his career (ala the Legion of Boom Seahawks). If Burrow pans out, we'll have to pony up top dollar to keep him beyond his rookie contract. That usually means losing other key contributors to the team's success, and/ or having other players disgruntled with their current contract situation. Brady took less for years so the Patriots could spend in other areas... Of course he appears to be tired of doing so now that his weapons are more depleted. Of course Dalton did the same here only to watch Mike Brown not re-sign or even adequately replace key players.

As great of a player as Russell Wilson has become, that team hasn't been nearly as imposing since they had to pay him.

Great post Jason, all true. Now is the time to go out and pay big for FA's to get this roster top shelf now and years down the 
road we can save our money for Burrow's extension if he pans out as you say. I know the Cowboys always have a lot of money
but I truly think Dak was overpaid and they will suffer for it down the road when they have to pay for O-line and weapons.

Similar to what I think will happen with Mahomes even though Mahomes is so good he might be able to handle it. Like you 
said Russell cannot carry his entire team and he is a great QB IMO.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 04:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Worst part is when you have a guy who you think is THE guy, but you're not 100% sure... but you have to pay him like he is because another team would swoop in and pay him instead.

Dak could also be in that company. I think he is a good QB but not good enough to carry an entire team. Hell even the elite guys 
haven't been able to carry their team to a SB once they got paid big.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 04:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote:  Elite guys are always going to get their money, but the whole QB market exploded when bad starters are making great starter money from just a couple years ago, and simply "good" starters are making just absurd money.

This.

Rep
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:38 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can't imagine waiting any longer! Or is there something screwy going on?

Your thoughts?

Are you suggesting they forego the ever loved pre-hype part of the hype part of every season? Why...why...why...that's like announcing the winner of next season's super bowl winner this season! Gots ta have the pre-hype to get folks hyped about getting pre-hyped over getting hyped!
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 03:38 PM)RASCAL Wrote: I can't imagine waiting any longer! Or is there something screwy going on?

Your thoughts?

Not Allowed to announce 1st overall draft pick and signing until.... WE ARE ON THE CLOCK during the draft...

This isn't 2003 anymore.
Reply/Quote
(03-10-2020, 11:41 PM)BrownAssClown Wrote: I hope the Bengals wait until there's only a minute left on the clock to send in their pick. Why not piss off the other teams and make them wait!?!  Tongue

they most likely will but not for pissing teams off...   Cause teams will be calling trying to get the pick....   And they will probly see if anyone can change their minds  which isn't likely.
Reply/Quote
(03-11-2020, 02:58 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: True, I don't know exactly how they would go about it. Just saying I liked the thought from George. Maybe what another
poster said about putting a cap on the QB salaries I don't know. I just see QB's taking so much that rosters will end up 
being decimated in the future. Imagine if Burrow plays great for us in the first few years how much it will take for us to
retain him, imagine if he wins a Super Bowl and becomes the new face of the NFL?

I think you are right. If the FO doesn't go full bore at free agency and plays it like they always have we could see a team with a great QB and being unable to keep play makers around him. If I am not mistaken this is what happened to Luck in Indy.
Reply/Quote
(03-12-2020, 06:58 PM)Catmandude123 Wrote: I think you are right. If the FO doesn't go full bore at free agency and plays it like they always have we could see a team with a great QB and being unable to keep play makers around him. If I am not mistaken this is what happened to Luck in Indy.

You are not mistaken, I think it is a valid concern.
Reply/Quote
maybe som idiotic team assembles a trade that includes picks 2-15 in the 1st round, for the 1st pick. In that case, we would have to accept, no? Lol
Reply/Quote