Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just some thoughts on defense..
Why are we so exclusive to the 2 linebacker nickel set??we have been gashed all year long with this alignment,could it be that the safeties can't fill at the same rate as von and Jessie??Why can't we mix in some base 4-3 with ADG on the field??I'm pretty sure he would be better at run fits than our safeties at the moment..

Can we be more aggressive at LOS on the outside?we've been in off coverage far too much for my liking of late, I have no problem playing some of the zones we play, but we can still be physical while playing some of those concepts..The cold hard truth is that we have been a soft defense this year it's like we lost our physical nature somewhere,look at the Tennessee game for an example they absolutely manhandled us..In previous years against pretty much the same team we never got manhandled by them this team needs to get back to being physical..
Reply/Quote
I'm not really sure what you're trying to say. Two linebackers on the field is just a standard nickel personnel. They do it to get the extra DB on the field to match-up with the offense when they go three wide. If they trout out a third linebacker against a three wide set, you're putting yourself at a disadvantage by allowing a WR to work against an extra linebacker. You'd basically be subbing Hilton out to put ADG in. Perhaps I am missing what you're trying to say.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:40 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Why are we so exclusive to the 2 linebacker nickel set??we have been gashed all year long with this alignment,could it be that the safeties can't fill at the same rate as von and Jessie??Why can't we mix in some base 4-3 with ADG on the field??I'm pretty sure he would be better at run fits than our safeties at the moment..

Can we be more aggressive at LOS on the outside?we've been in off coverage far too much for my liking of late, I have no problem playing some of the zones we play, but we can still be physical while playing some of those concepts..The cold hard truth is that we have been a soft defense this year it's like we lost our physical nature somewhere,look at the Tennessee game for an example they absolutely manhandled us..In previous years against pretty much the same team we never got manhandled by them this team needs to get back to being physical..

I'm not sure that having ADG on the field on rushing downs is any sort of advantage in defending the run.  From what I've observed, he cannot shed blocks and is easily moved by blockers.

If they wanted to bring in a 3rd LB on apparent rushing downs, I'd go with Joe Bachie.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Speaking of LB's, I wish Pratt would concentrate more on making a solid tackle without letting the guy run for 10 more yards than trying to strip the ball every tackle. I keep thinking back to last year here at home when he stripped the ball from Kelce and we went on to win the game,, but KC went on to win the Super Bowl. Kelce had the last laugh on that one.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 01:15 PM)RegularGuy22 Wrote: Speaking of LB's, I wish Pratt would concentrate more on making a solid tackle without letting the guy run for 10 more yards than trying to strip the ball every tackle. I keep thinking back to last year here at home when he stripped the ball from Kelce and we went on to win the game,, but KC went on to win the Super Bowl. Kelce had the last laugh on that one.

I read where Lou said they coach the second guy in to strip the ball after the first guy stops the ball carrier. Didn’t happen so they got the extra yards to make it a much easier FG.

Of course the first guy in on the tackle was Nick Scott.
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 12:40 PM)Tlawsonmariat82 Wrote: Why are we so exclusive to the 2 linebacker nickel set??we have been gashed all year long with this alignment,could it be that the safeties can't fill at the same rate as von and Jessie??Why can't we mix in some base 4-3 with ADG on the field??I'm pretty sure he would be better at run fits than our safeties at the moment..

Bengals like to run with Hilton over an extra LB.
In normal running situations, I would say take the slot CB off the field, but Hilton is a good tackler, attacks the LOS well, and also is a good blitzer. So he really may be just as good if not better than ADG being on the field.

It might be better to run with an extra DL over a 3rd LB, at least for this team/scheme.

I think the bigger thing is the two best DL for run defense (Reader and Hubbard) have not been as effective/available compared to the previous couple years.

I also do agree with you that the safety play (at least the Scott/Battle spot) isn't as good as it was last year, which is also affecting things.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 01:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals like to run with Hilton over an extra LB.
In normal running situations, I would say take the slot CB off the field, but Hilton is a good tackler, attacks the LOS well, and also is a good blitzer. So he really may be just as good if not better than ADG being on the field.

It might be better to run with an extra DL over a 3rd LB, at least for this team/scheme.

I think the bigger thing is the two best DL for run defense (Reader and Hubbard) have not been as effective/available compared to the previous couple years.

I also do agree with you that the safety play (at least the Scott/Battle spot) isn't as good as it was last year, which is also affecting things.

Agreed!for some reason it just seems as if something is off with the run-fits this season;I've seen Pratt and Logan out of position and in the wrong holes alot this season..
Reply/Quote
(11-14-2023, 01:43 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Bengals like to run with Hilton over an extra LB.

Agree with this. Might be a better idea to put in an extra DL over another LB if we want to stop the run better. Hilton is good at what 
he does, I wouldn't take him off the field for ADG and think we would get better. Cam Sample is a good run stopper and a good pass 
rusher from what I have seen of him this year. Also really liked those lineups the last few years with 5 DL, they were pretty effective 
especially against Mahomes.
Reply/Quote
It's really just bad play. The run problems have been 90% poor tackling and backside contain and edge seal; hence why cutbacks kill us and we constantly get gashed on big plays to the backside. The pass problems are that the secondary is not reading and reacting to the receivers routes with any speed, resulting in huge holes in the zones with them parked in them. What we need is basic, fundamentally sound defense.
Reply/Quote