Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Just wanted to say... Told ya so
So during training camp and while we were trimming our roster to start the season I heard a lot of people saying that peko and peerman needed to be cut. Cedric peerman has been one of the key guys to an outstanding season on special teams and is one of the main reasons we rank in the top 5. Game after game this guy is the man making key tackles and he's a great mentor for the young guys. While peko isn't the most outstanding DT in the league the guy has played with great effort this year and really stepped up with a career high 4 sacks. I said I would eat my shoe if he was the reason our team was a failure this year and it looks like that bet panned out well. Lastly I just want to say that its great to see all the old war horses out there this year with the opportunity to push for a superbowl this year. Guys like whitworth, hall,peerman and peko are all coming to the end of their careers, but they are some of the key personalities that helped to change our locker room around.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 08:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: So during training camp and while we were trimming our roster to start the season I heard a lot of people saying that peko and peerman needed to be cut.  Cedric peerman has been one of the key guys to an outstanding season on special teams and is one of the main reasons we rank in the top 5.  Game after game this guy is the man making key tackles and he's a great mentor for the young guys.  While peko isn't the most outstanding DT in the league the guy has played with great effort this year and really stepped up with a career high 4 sacks.  I said I would eat my shoe if he was the reason our team was a failure this year and it looks like that bet panned out well.  Lastly I just want to say that its great to see all the old war horses out there this year with the opportunity to push for a superbowl this year.  Guys like whitworth, hall,peerman and peko are all coming to the end of their careers, but they are some of the key personalities that helped to change our locker room around.

Well i am happy you didn't have to eat your shoe.

Peko has played very good this season and has surprised me. I thought he was on the tail end of his career
and was starting to fall off. I do know that Geno being back has helped him immensely but him on his own
has been much better this season.

Peerman is a great ST'er. I just thought maybe a player like Wilder would start to make a push over him but
Cedric's ST's play put him above Wilder. Both are having their best season IMHO.

I am glad you can say that you told me so.
Reply/Quote
I like when Peko rubs his tummy.
This post brought to you by the Cincinnati Bengals. Proud leaders in squandering opportunity, since 1969.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 09:29 PM)Utts Wrote: I like when Peko rubs his tummy.
LOL

Same here, i like the celebration.
Reply/Quote

(12-08-2015, 09:32 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: LOL

Same here, i like the celebration.

Agreed! Cracks me up!

Someone needs to make it their avatar.
Reply/Quote

He is nice and smiles a lot. I like him too. 

Reply/Quote
The reduction in workload has done wonders for Peko. We probably still need to consider a replacement soon though. He's not getting any younger.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 12:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The reduction in workload has done wonders for Peko. We probably still need to consider a replacement soon though. He's not getting any younger.

Yeah, but as long as he's playing like this in the rotation, leave him in there. He's looked good most of the time. As has Maualuga, for the most part. Sure, he continues to miss his share of tackles (badly at times), but he's also made some really crucial plays for us. 
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If there's one thing everybody loves, it's the 'I told you so' guy.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 08:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If there's one thing everybody loves, it's the 'I told you so' guy.

LOL 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 12:55 AM)Shake n Blake Wrote: The reduction in workload has done wonders for Peko. We probably still need to consider a replacement soon though. He's not getting any younger.

Absolutely, and perhaps even more importantly, with the rotational aspect of the defensive front and even some in the WR corps, RB, TE, LB, S, and CB, the players seem to really be hitting their stride in terms of energy.

In the past few years under Marvin, largely due to injuries, there were some players that played every snap through the entire season (or nearly all) and were clearly wore down when the postseason rolled around.  The aforementioned Peko is  a perfect example.  Even Atkins gets rotated out for a series here and there.  Blowouts like this past week allow the key players to rest and eliminate their chance of an injury.  

Even though he may be our best player on defense, I am okay with Atkins sitting out the Denver game due to his sickle cell trait so he is even MORE rested and ready for the postseason.  I believe the team will win that one without him.

I realize a big run of injuries could put all this optimism to a halt, but things are really shaping up nicely for the Bengals as of right now.  

I rarely do this, but I offer huge props to the coaching staff for acknowledging there was a problem in the way they approached the games, etc. and they made significant changes to try and keep the players fresher for game day and, clearly, healthier come the postseason.  
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 08:25 AM)Crazyjdawg Wrote: If there's one thing everybody loves, it's the 'I told you so' guy.

Really?  OK, here goes mine!

I told you guys that Rex would catch 50+ balls this year...only about 52 to go!

I told you guys that Margus Hunt would become a critical part of the rotation and get 9 sacks....Sure to still happen!

Perhaps this OP could spawn in to another funny thread:  Worst bets lost as it relates to the Bengals.

I haven't really had any, but I did make one last year that could be the worst of all time, although it has a .000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001% probability of occurring:

The Bengals have to win the Super Bowl (I think that has a pretty good chance of happening)

Brandon Tate has to be the MVP of said Super Bowl (never)

In which case I would have to get a tattoo of his likeness on my butt cheek.  
Reply/Quote

Agreed.  Peko seems to be a great guy, and is having a resurgent year, but has been on the downslide.  That will only continue as he gets older.
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 08:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: So during training camp and while we were trimming our roster to start the season I heard a lot of people saying that peko and peerman needed to be cut. Cedric peerman has been one of the key guys to an outstanding season on special teams and is one of the main reasons we rank in the top 5. Game after game this guy is the man making key tackles and he's a great mentor for the young guys. While peko isn't the most outstanding DT in the league the guy has played with great effort this year and really stepped up with a career high 4 sacks. I said I would eat my shoe if he was the reason our team was a failure this year and it looks like that bet panned out well. Lastly I just want to say that its great to see all the old war horses out there this year with the opportunity to push for a superbowl this year. Guys like whitworth, hall,peerman and peko are all coming to the end of their careers, but they are some of the key personalities that helped to change our locker room around.

can only base if off their play... peerman has always been solid on special teams but offers little outside of that. we have had and cut that type of player before

Peko had a very bad season last year.
Reply/Quote
I am sure it has helped that Peko has played fewer snaps, but the return of the real Geno has helped him also.

Peko has always had a group of fans that did not like him. Most complained that he did not "make enough big plays", but he has been a key player on one of the best D-lines in the league over the past few years and he is usually in the top ten in tackles by interior D-linemen.

Peko is signed through next season, and he will be pretty cheap ($3.7 million). But we better have a replacement ready to step in by 2017. That would be Harsdisons third year or the second season of a '16 draft pick. Although I like Hardison's potential, I would like to see us take a DT early in the draft.

Cedric Peerman is playing out of his head on ST. I have always given him credit for that, but I just felt it was better to keep a younger player that might develop into a position player in the future. Peerman offers nothing as a RB, but he is having the best season of his career on special teams.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure I've made bad calls before, though I will say I generally trust the coaches -- they have more access to the players than I do and spend more time evaluating them as it is their job. So if I speculate about someone who I think should be cut and the coaches go another way, I trust 'em. Won't keep me from speculating in the future though.

Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 12:19 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm sure I've made bad calls before, though I will say I generally trust the coaches -- they have more access to the players than I do and spend more time evaluating them as it is their job. So if I speculate about someone who I think should be cut and the coaches go another way, I trust 'em. Won't keep me from speculating in the future though.

Part of being a sports fan is second guessing the coaches.  However it was much easier when we were losing all the time.

If our coaches were all as bad as some people claim, then you would see a lot of players flounder as a member of the Bengals and then blossom into a better player with another team.  But that almost never happens.  In fact it is much more likely for a player to get a good contract based on what he did as a Bengal, and then never play as well with other teams.  Also there is a long lit of players who were considered busts or "washed-up" with former teams that played very well for the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
(12-09-2015, 12:19 PM)BoomerFan Wrote: I'm sure I've made bad calls before, though I will say I generally trust the coaches -- they have more access to the players than I do and spend more time evaluating them as it is their job. So if I speculate about someone who I think should be cut and the coaches go another way, I trust 'em. Won't keep me from speculating in the future though.

Rep!!!! Good Post
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
Rotational football has always been one of the strengths of this team and keeping our players fresh gives them less chances to be injured. I also believe that injuries happen when a player is playing tired, but freak accidents always happen. The one thing i will say about peerman is that If we got into a position that he needed to run he can, but special teams is really important. I don't know how many years I watched our team beaten on special teams and every time I see peerman tackle a return guy on the `10 yard line it puts a smile on my face. The guy will never be the best running back but he offers something this team always needed which is passion for the game. Peerman is my rudy on this team.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(12-08-2015, 08:09 PM)Okeana Wrote: So during training camp and while we were trimming our roster to start the season I heard a lot of people saying that peko and peerman needed to be cut.  Cedric peerman has been one of the key guys to an outstanding season on special teams and is one of the main reasons we rank in the top 5.  Game after game this guy is the man making key tackles and he's a great mentor for the young guys.  While peko isn't the most outstanding DT in the league the guy has played with great effort this year and really stepped up with a career high 4 sacks.  I said I would eat my shoe if he was the reason our team was a failure this year and it looks like that bet panned out well.  Lastly I just want to say that its great to see all the old war horses out there this year with the opportunity to push for a superbowl this year.  Guys like whitworth, hall,peerman and peko are all coming to the end of their careers, but they are some of the key personalities that helped to change our locker room around.

Cool.

Internet brownie points to you sir.

Ill just be in the corner smug that my boy is finally winning over some critics.
Keep being you Raggedy Andy
Reply/Quote