Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Justin Gilbert traded to Steelers
Browns 2014 first round bust (and we sincerely hope it continues) Justin Gilbert was traded to the Steelers for a 2018 6th round pick. I'm sure he will thrive with such upstanding teammates as Martavis Bryant

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
Justin Gilbert...Really? Reaching this hard for a CB so close to gameday really shows how weak Pitt is at that spot. 
Reply/Quote
Lol Gilbert is terrible
[Image: 83-A0733-D-167-F-44-AB-9994-4-BE98-E6-E353-B.webp]
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 03:30 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: Justin Gilbert...Really? Reaching this hard for a CB so close to gameday really shows how weak Pitt is at that spot. 

Our 2nd round corner from last year got injured again and has yet to take even just 1 snap in a preseason game. Our first rounder from this year got hurt and only played in the final preseason game. It's talent we have to keep on the roster, but neither can be expected to contribute much at all this year. Tough way to build a secondary. The 6th round pick 2 years from now is the most valuable thing contributed by Gilbert to the Browns. DHB has been a solid for the Steelers since being one of the worst busts of all time for the Raiders and doing next to nothing for the Colts. Gilbert is worth the shot. And worst case scenario he's still significantly better than Anwtan Blake; although, mainly because it's almost statistically impossible to have a full season as bad as Blake's last year because any other team could have afforded to bench him in favor of anyone after a couple of poor performances.
[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
Reply/Quote
Blake and Gilbert.

Terrifying.

They can sit by each other at the end of the bench.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 08:18 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Our 2nd round corner from last year got injured again and has yet to take even just 1 snap in a preseason game. Our first rounder from this year got hurt and only played in the final preseason game. It's talent we have to keep on the roster, but neither can be expected to contribute much at all this year. Tough way to build a secondary. The 6th round pick 2 years from now is the most valuable thing contributed by Gilbert to the Browns. DHB has been a solid for the Steelers since being one of the worst busts of all time for the Raiders and doing next to nothing for the Colts. Gilbert is worth the shot. And worst case scenario he's still significantly better than Anwtan Blake; although, mainly because it's almost statistically impossible to have a full season as bad as Blake's last year because any other team could have afforded to bench him in favor of anyone after a couple of poor performances.

Happened to us a few years back. Had to sign a guy off the streets one week to fill the void. GL this season with that sort of secondary. It gets messy out there.
Reply/Quote
(09-03-2016, 08:18 PM)6andcounting Wrote: Our 2nd round corner from last year got injured again and has yet to take even just 1 snap in a preseason game. Our first rounder from this year got hurt and only played in the final preseason game. It's talent we have to keep on the roster, but neither can be expected to contribute much at all this year. Tough way to build a secondary. The 6th round pick 2 years from now is the most valuable thing contributed by Gilbert to the Browns. DHB has been a solid for the Steelers since being one of the worst busts of all time for the Raiders and doing next to nothing for the Colts. Gilbert is worth the shot. And worst case scenario he's still significantly better than Anwtan Blake; although, mainly because it's almost statistically impossible to have a full season as bad as Blake's last year because any other team could have afforded to bench him in favor of anyone after a couple of poor performances.

I could be mistaken, but wasn't Tomlin a secondary coach in Minnesota?
Reply/Quote

It might payoff I know the Bengals have cashed in on busts before sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.. Just curious do you feel like someone dropped the ball in not replenishing the secondary after Taylor and Troy retired or just bad luck with the injuries? It seems like they never had a plan with how to fill the void left by 2 potential HoF players.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:09 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It might payoff I know the Bengals have cashed in on busts before sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.. Just curious do you feel like someone dropped the ball in not replenishing the secondary after Taylor and Troy retired or just bad luck with the injuries? It seems like they never had a plan with how to fill the void left by 2 potential HoF players.

This is what I was getting at when I asked about Tomlin being s DB coach. You'd think he would know especially what's going on with the secondary. 
Reply/Quote
I hate hue jackson even more now.

First, everybody thought he was a great OC, all creative and innovative and stuff. I thought he out-cuted the Bengals too many times. LIke throwing the ball to Eric Fisher 7-8 times last season, many times in the red zone. When you have the likes of AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, etc, you don't need to throw it to a reserve OL so many times. I also think he got Dalton injured trying to be too cute and trying a shovel pass from the 2 yd line....which the steelers obviously saw coming. And finally, when the Bengals went for 2 pts in the playoff game...the strength of the steeler D was their LB speed...and he calls a back pass to Jeremy Hill who is promptly taken down by the LB. Hill's strength is straight ahead running, not going horizontal to the LOS and trying to get around the corner on fast LBs.

Next, he leaves the Bengals to accept a HC position...in the division. To me that was a slap in the face to ML who saved hue's ass more than once by giving him assistant coaching jobs. I get he was due to leave, but he had enough interest from other teams that he didn't have to stay in our division and face ML twice a year.

Finally, he has now traded with the steelers. He not only traded within the division, but also to his team's biggest rival. The steelers were hurting at CB. Even though gilbert has not shhown first round talent, he still could turn out to be decent with a change of scenery and different coaches. Why the eff would you strengthen the steelers?

Personally, I think hue is a dumbass. I hope he burns in that dumpster fire of an organization in cleveland.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 10:29 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: I could be mistaken, but wasn't Tomlin a secondary coach in Minnesota?

He was for the Bucs. He was defensive coordinator for Minnesota.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 11:09 AM)CageTheBengal Wrote: It might payoff I know the Bengals have cashed in on busts before sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders.. Just curious do you feel like someone dropped the ball in not replenishing the secondary after Taylor and Troy retired or just bad luck with the injuries? It seems like they never had a plan with how to fill the void left by 2 potential HoF players.

Before our 2nd round corner last year, I think byrant McFadden - in the 2005 draft - was the last high draft pick for the Steelers secondary. I've been saying for 3 years it's time to draft a corner because it's going to take a season or two before they're ready to be a full time starter. Steelers FO mishandled the situation, but the right moves they did make got screwed up by pure bad luck.

Keenan Lewis (who was a 3rd rounder) left us in FA to take a pay cut to play for the Saints. That's his home town. Good job on the FO to find a starter in a 3rd round pick; bad luck he just wanted to go home.

2 years ago the Steelers traded a conditional 5th round pick for Brandon Boykin. He was one of the better slot corners in the league. 6 picks in 2013. He had a year left on his rookie contract, but was just getting thrown off ship because Chip Kelly was blowing up the Eagles. Turns out he has a degenerative hip condition and played about 1 half for the Steelers, who made no attempt to resign him at the end of the season. More BS luck.

Then there was Antwan Blake and Brice McCain. Neither were particular great thir first year with the Steelers, but McCain made a small number of nice plays when he saw the field because of injuries. Both Blake and McCain went into FA after the season. Dolphins paid McCain 5.5 million for 2 years with 3 million guaranteed. It wouldn't have been worth trying to match that offer, so the Steelers had no choice but to let him go and just resign Blake. McCain got cut by the Dolphins a year later anyways - proving it was a bad contract. Had the Dolphins not overpaid the Steelers would have kept him for a more reasonable contract. Not that he was that good, but he would have been a bit better than Blake.

Then we finally draft a 2nd round corner, and he gets put on IR like the 2nd day of his rookie training camp. This year he will likely be placed on the "injured, designated to return" list, but again he was hurt before the first preseason game.

Our first round pick at corner this year had a few practices and just 1 preseason game of experience so far. That just sets back any chance he could contribute anything at all later in the season back even further.

*Honorable mention bad luck. Going into his first draft as an NFL Head Coach, Tomlin gives endless praise to this guy Darrell Revis. The Jets trade up right in front of the Steelers and draft him. The Steelers take Lawrence Timmons. Turned out well because Timmons has been great and Revis would have left to the highest bidder after his rookie contract anyways. The defense is better off today because of drafting Timmons over a guy who would have been long gone, but still more bad luck (kind of Tomlins fault though) with getting a decent corner.
Reply/Quote
Looks like Golson, 2nd round corner from last year, is going to be stuck on full season IR. Between Green and Bud Dupree, one of those two are going to end up being the d3signated to return player.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 02:22 PM)Beaker Wrote: I hate hue jackson even more now.

First, everybody thought he was a great OC, all creative and innovative and stuff. I thought he out-cuted the Bengals too many times. LIke throwing the ball to Eric Fisher 7-8 times last season, many times in the red zone. When you have the likes of AJ Green, Tyler Eifert, Gio Bernard, etc, you don't need to throw it to a reserve OL so many times. I also think he got Dalton injured trying to be too cute and trying a shovel pass from the 2 yd line....which the steelers obviously saw coming. And finally, when the Bengals went for 2 pts in the playoff game...the strength of the steeler D was their LB speed...and he calls a back pass to Jeremy Hill who is promptly taken down by the LB. Hill's strength is straight ahead running, not going horizontal to the LOS and trying to get around the corner on fast LBs.

Next, he leaves the Bengals to accept a HC position...in the division. To me that was a slap in the face to ML who saved hue's ass more than once by giving him assistant coaching jobs. I get he was due to leave, but he had enough interest from other teams that he didn't have to stay in our division and face ML twice a year.

Finally, he has now traded with the steelers. He not only traded within the division, but also to his team's biggest rival. The steelers were hurting at CB. Even though gilbert has not shhown first round talent, he still could turn out to be decent with a change of scenery and different coaches. Why the eff would you strengthen the steelers?

Personally, I think hue is a dumbass. I hope he burns in that dumpster fire of an organization in cleveland.

I think you are missing the big picture, Hue did it to help the Bengals... Gilbert will be easy picking for us.. on a serious note, I think you went off on a Hue Jackson crazy bend
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Gilbert is fast. Whatever direction he goes, he goes fast. Hue didn't do the Steelers any favors.
Reply/Quote
(09-04-2016, 06:03 PM)Essex Johnson Wrote:  I think you went off on a Hue Jackson crazy bend

I think hue is the one who is crazy...based on some of his play calling, and the picks he gave up to get carson palmer, now trading with the steelers. He's a piece of work.
Reply/Quote