Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KY school shooting
Another sad day in America.

Quote:Investigators probe motive in deadly Kentucky school shooting

(Reuters) - Investigators in western Kentucky on Wednesday were probing why a 15-year-old boy opened fire in a high school, killing two students and injuring 18 others in the latest in a series of deadly shootings in American schools.

Police have not yet identified the gunman or released any information about what motivated the Tuesday morning attack in Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, about 100 miles (160 km) northwest of Nashville.

The suspect, who police said was arrested without a struggle, was due to appear in court by Thursday and could be charged as an adult, according to Marshall County Attorney Jeff Edwards.

He will be charged with two counts of murder and multiple counts of attempted murder, according to the Kentucky State Police, who said they believe he acted alone.

All classes were canceled in the Marshall County School system on Wednesday as the community struggled to understand the incident.

“A tragedy beyond words occurred in our community today,” school superintendent Trent Lovett said in a statement late Tuesday. “As parents, our greatest fear is something happening to our children, and today that fear became a reality.”

The suspect on Tuesday entered a common area at the school, pulled out a handgun and began firing at students, state police said in a statement.

Police investigators are seen at the scene of a shooting at Marshall County High School in Benton, Kentucky, U.S., January 23, 2018. REUTERS/Harrison McClary

“About the time it registered, this guy was sitting here pulling the trigger into all of us,” student Bryson Conkwright told TV station WKRN on Tuesday. “I can hear the gunshots. He was shooting in our group.”

The attack at the school of nearly 1,150 students in a small farming town was the latest outbreak of gun violence that has become a regular occurrence at schools and college campuses across the United States over the past several years.

The students killed were Bailey Holt, a 15-year-old girl who was pronounced dead at the scene, and Preston Cope, a 15-year-old boy who died at Vanderbilt University Medical Center, state police said.

Students attend a prayer vigil for students killed and injured after a 15-year-old boy opened fire with a handgun at Marshall County High School, at Life in Christ Church in Marion, Kentucky, U.S., January 23, 2018. REUTERS/Harrison McClary

Five female and 13 male students ranging from ages 14 to 18 were also injured. Sixteen of the injuries were from gunshot wounds. The remaining four teenagers suffered other sorts of injuries in the panic.

Hospital officials said they expected all those wounded to survive.

Television actress Haley Strode, a Kentucky native, expressed shock.

“Devastated to hear about the fatal school shooting in my home state. Heartbroken,” Strode said on Twitter. “Is nothing sacred any longer?”
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
And for the average FOX viewer:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/01/24/kentucky-school-shooting-victims-identified-as-cops-search-for-motive.html

Those comments really get to the heart of the issue!

- Fat shaming boys
- Lax dress codes
- Liberal agendas
- etc.

Mellow
Round and round it goes, where it'll stop nobody knows, what's the next town on the gun violence lottery?

Anyways, thoughts and prayers, especially to Benton who I know this hit close to home on.

Hope nobody around here gets unlucky in the future.
Benton's got a post about this in klotsch. His son was standing next to a kid who was shot.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(01-24-2018, 04:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Benton's got  a post about this in klotsch.  His son was standing next to a kid who was shot.

Holy cow!
(01-24-2018, 04:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: Holy cow!

I know
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

This is probably just me being a huge cynic, but I'm thinking the best way to handle this sort of thing is to honor the people killed in mass shootings the same way we honor veterans. Make a wall in DC and etch the names of the people killed in the name of protecting our freedom and maybe even do the gun salute and give a folded flag to the family at the funerals.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass here, this looks like it falls under freedom not being free.
(01-24-2018, 05:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is probably just me being a huge cynic, but I'm thinking the best way to handle this sort of thing is to honor the people killed in mass shootings the same way we honor veterans.  Make a wall in DC and etch the names of the people killed in the name of protecting our freedom and maybe even do the gun salute and give a folded flag to the family at the funerals.

I'm not trying to sound like a smart ass here, this looks like it falls under freedom not being free.

That wall would be bigger and cost more than the vanity one Trump wants to build.
(01-24-2018, 06:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: That wall would be bigger and cost more than the vanity one Trump wants to build.

And yet it's the one we shouldn't mind paying for.
(01-24-2018, 05:54 PM)Nately120 Wrote: This is probably just me being a huge cynic, but I'm thinking the best way to handle this sort of thing is to honor the people killed in mass shootings the same way we honor veterans.  Make a wall in DC and etch the names of the people killed in the name of protecting our freedom and maybe even do the gun salute and give a folded flag to the family at the funerals.

Not a horrible idea.  The only thing is, what constitutes a "mass shooting"?  If you use the definition that gun control advocates like to use then the vast majority of "mass shooting" victims are gang member or other criminals being shot by gang members or other criminals.  I also think such a memorial would be cynically twisted by gun control advocates who have already demonstrated on myriad occasions that they will not shrink from blatant falsehoods to push their agenda.

(01-24-2018, 06:02 PM)GMDino Wrote: That wall would be bigger and cost more than the vanity one Trump wants to build.

No it wouldn't. Take away hyperbole and your post count would be in the triple digits.

(01-24-2018, 06:04 PM)Nately120 Wrote: And yet it's the one we shouldn't mind paying for.

I don't think many would mind funding it.  Private donations would account for much of it. 
(01-24-2018, 06:50 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Not a horrible idea.  The only thing is, what constitutes a "mass shooting"?  If you use the definition that gun control advocates like to use then the vast majority of "mass shooting" victims are gang member or other criminals being shot by gang members or other criminals.  I also think such a memorial would be cynically twisted by gun control advocates who have already demonstrated on myriad occasions that they will not shrink from blatant falsehoods to push their agenda.

Anytime the shooting leads to people bringing up the question of gun control and being told to quit politicizing tragedy and that we need to offer thoughts and prayers, seems to work for me.  It's also interesting you bring up gang shootings and then bring up pushing agendas via falsehoods, but that's a side debate that gets away from my initial idea.

Anyone who is killed in a shooting that leads to thoughts and prayers being sent en-masse should get a monument and be remembered as people who died in the name of freedom.  That doesn't count gang members, people who are shot because their toddlers grabbed their guns, single-person homicides where the victims intimately know the shooter, and so on.

When someone dies in WWII we don't say he was killed by a rogue crazy Nazi he never met, we say he died protecting our freedoms/us/this country/the Flag, etc. When someone is shot by a random nutbag he/she never met we say that he/she died to protect our freedoms and so on and so forth. No more lone wolf, no more troubled loner...it's time we just call this death in the name of freedom. If this stuff isn't going away, we should at least find a way to be proud of the people who are getting gunned down.

You can compare it to being a veteran because in both cases you could probably have run off to Canada and not have been shot and killed, but you didn't run. You stood your ground despite being told of the danger.
Gun control wasn’t much of an issue here.

I’ve known the shooter since before he started school. His family is very liberal, very anti-violence. They don’t own a gun (although I imagine other family members do). The school itself has an armed deputy assigned (he was outside in the parking lot when the shooting started). The kid who did it took a knife to school and a list a couple years ago. He was deemed to be not a threat as he was just going through a rough time and came back.
(01-25-2018, 12:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Anytime the shooting leads to people bringing up the question of gun control and being told to quit politicizing tragedy and that we need to offer thoughts and prayers, seems to work for me.  It's also interesting you bring up gang shootings and then bring up pushing agendas via falsehoods, but that's a side debate that gets away from my initial idea.

Anyone who is killed in a shooting that leads to thoughts and prayers being sent en-masse should get a monument and be remembered as people who died in the name of freedom.  That doesn't count gang members, people who are shot because their toddlers grabbed their guns, single-person homicides where the victims intimately know the shooter, and so on.

When someone dies in WWII we don't say he was killed by a rogue crazy Nazi he never met, we say he died protecting our freedoms/us/this country/the Flag, etc.  When someone is shot by a random nutbag he/she never met we say that he/she died to protect our freedoms and so on and so forth.  No more lone wolf, no more troubled loner...it's time we just call this death in the name of freedom.  If this stuff isn't going away, we should at least find a way to be proud of the people who are getting gunned down.

You can compare it to being a veteran because in both cases you could probably have run off to Canada and not have been shot and killed, but you didn't run.  You stood your ground despite being told of the danger.

Interesting viewpoint and well stated.
(01-25-2018, 12:00 AM)Nately120 Wrote: Anytime the shooting leads to people bringing up the question of gun control and being told to quit politicizing tragedy and that we need to offer thoughts and prayers, seems to work for me.

Those are two separate outcomes though.  Is an inner city shooting that kills five but generates no outside sympathy not worthy of consideration?  I know this seems contradictory, and it is, just for you, not me.

Quote:  It's also interesting you bring up gang shootings and then bring up pushing agendas via falsehoods, but that's a side debate that gets away from my initial idea.

The vast majority of homicides committed with a firearm are criminals killing other criminals.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/07/27/new-evidence-confirms-what-gun-rights-advocates-have-been-saying-for-a-long-time-about-crime/?utm_term=.82ef1d5cf8be

Quote:Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes, according to a novel analysis released this weekby the University of Pittsburgh.

Quote:They found that in approximately 8 out of 10 cases, the perpetrator was not a lawful gun owner but rather in illegal possession of a weapon that belonged to someone else.

https://www.nij.gov/topics/crime/gun-violence/pages/welcome.aspx

Quote:Gun-related homicide is most prevalent among gangs and during the commission of felony crimes.

Please tell me more about "muh falsehoods" though.

Quote:Anyone who is killed in a shooting that leads to thoughts and prayers being sent en-masse should get a monument and be remembered as people who died in the name of freedom.  That doesn't count gang members, people who are shot because their toddlers grabbed their guns, single-person homicides where the victims intimately know the shooter, and so on.

So you're talking about the 20% of people killed with firearms every year in the US.  So of the 12,000 people murdered by firearms we're talking 2,400 people a year.  That is a lot of people.  Out of curiosity, how many people are killed by drunk drivers every year?

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

Quote:In 2015, 10,265 people died in alcohol-impaired driving crashes, accounting for nearly one-third (29%) of all traffic-related deaths in the United States

Let's say, charitably, that half of those killed are the drunk drivers themselves.  Looks like you should be building a memorial to people murdered by drunk drivers well before those killed by gun violence.

Quote:When someone dies in WWII we don't say he was killed by a rogue crazy Nazi he never met, we say he died protecting our freedoms/us/this country/the Flag, etc.  When someone is shot by a random nutbag he/she never met we say that he/she died to protect our freedoms and so on and so forth.

I like you, but this is as dumb as analogy as GMDabo, Fed or Lucie ever made.

Quote:No more lone wolf, no more troubled loner...it's time we just call this death in the name of freedom.  If this stuff isn't going away, we should at least find a way to be proud of the people who are getting gunned down.

Sure, as long as you acknowledge that the vast amount of firearm homicide victims are criminals killed by other criminals.  Maybe we should salute those killed by medical malpractice? 

https://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/news/media/releases/study_suggests_medical_errors_now_third_leading_cause_of_death_in_the_us

Quote:Analyzing medical death rate data over an eight-year period, Johns Hopkins patient safety experts have calculated that more than 250,000 deaths per year are due to medical error in the U.S.

Holy shit!  Better get that murder victims of medical malpractice memorial going quick!  Even if we allowed the anti-gun liars to include suicides in their death figures we're still looking at close to 10% of the deaths caused by incompetent doctors.  I suppose their deaths don't matter as much to you because they don't make the news.  Sorry, but to me dead is dead.  I feel bad that you value some lives above others.

Quote:You can compare it to being a veteran because in both cases you could probably have run off to Canada and not have been shot and killed, but you didn't run.  You stood your ground despite being told of the danger.

This doesn't make sense, but I'll chalk it up to being dizzy from spinning.  Don't worry, I still love you.  Wub
(01-25-2018, 12:42 AM)Benton Wrote: Gun control wasn’t much of an issue here.

I’ve known the shooter since before he started school. His family is very liberal, very anti-violence. They don’t own a gun (although I imagine other family members do). The school itself has an armed deputy assigned (he was outside in the parking lot when the shooting started). The kid who did it took a knife to school and a list a couple years ago. He was deemed to be not a threat as he was just going through a rough time and came back.

A knife and a list, and he's just going through a rough time?  People need to start taking warning signs far more seriously I would say.

(01-25-2018, 12:42 AM)Benton Wrote: Gun control wasn’t much of an issue here.

I'm sorry you and your family had to go thru this.  My sincerest thoughts and prayers headed your way. 

Is this area of Kentucky very religious? 
[Image: Zu8AdZv.png?1]
Deceitful, two-faced she-woman. Never trust a female, Delmar, remember that one simple precept and your time with me will not have been ill spent.

(01-25-2018, 02:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So you're talking about the 20% of people killed with firearms every year in the US.  So of the 12,000 people murdered by firearms we're talking 2,400 people a year.  That is a lot of people.  Out of curiosity, how many people are killed by drunk drivers every year?

https://www.cdc.gov/motorvehiclesafety/impaired_driving/impaired-drv_factsheet.html

Let's say, charitably, that half of those killed are the drunk drivers themselves.  Looks like you should be building a memorial to people murdered by drunk drivers well before those killed by gun violence.

Holding people responsible for killing someone with a car is the reason we have laws that require every driver to be trained and hold a license and every car to be registered to an owner who could be held responsible.

So why do you oppose laws that would require every gun owner to be trained and licensed and have every gun registered to an owner?

Even you admit that a large portion of gun crimes are committed by people who had someone else gun.  So doesn't it make sense to make gun owners be more responsible with their guns.  If all "lawful" gun owners are so responsible then how do these guns get in other peoples hands without ever being reported stolen?
(01-25-2018, 02:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: So you're talking about the 20% of people killed with firearms every year in the US.  So of the 12,000 people murdered by firearms we're talking 2,400 people a year.  That is a lot of people.  Out of curiosity, how many people are killed by drunk drivers every year?

Claims "people killed by firearms" equals "people murdered by firearms".

Then accuses others of "spin".

Smirk
(01-25-2018, 02:31 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Lawful gun owners commit less than a fifth of all gun crimes, according to a novel analysis released this weekby the University of Pittsburgh.

Thanks for this link.  More info from this study.

62% of gunowners who had their gun end up in the hands of a criminal do not know how they lost possession of the gun.  30% of the guns were reported stolen but over half of those were never reported stolen until the police recovered them and asked the owner.

thius study also highlighted the fact that half of gun dealers are willing to participate in a "straw" purchase where they know the gun is for someone other than the purchaser

In fact this entire study supports my position that since firearms are so deadly we need the ability to track them and determine their ownership.

Maybe you should actually read what you link instead of just taking one small nugget out of context in a lame attempt to spin it in your favor.
We know students bring a lot of baggage with them when they come to us, but we try to make school as safe of an environment as possible where they don't have to worry about a lot of that. It's unfortunate that we're not always able to live up to this.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]