Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KY school shooting
14 victims? Nothing a few thoughts and prayers won't fix.
This gun control is all talk and no action. This will happen again and again! Thought and prayers with families and victims.
Happy Halloween
17 killed. Gun nut, filled social media with photos of him with weapons. History of making threats, everyone knew he'd do something like this.

Terrible.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(02-14-2018, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: That is what I have said all along.

You have no argument based on public safety or any legal grounds.

Wait, the Constitution isn't a legal document?

Quote:The only thing you base your argument on is paranoia.  When has the government abused the information we give them to register our cars or comply with any of the hundreds of other public safety regulations?

There's an interesting contradiction of though that takes place in people like you.  You rail against the police and how they can't be trusted, yet you trust them with this kind of power.  You're right though, there's zero evidence of the government abusing their power of its citizens, silly me for implying such a thing could occur.

Quote:Having a gun registry and license requirement will not change anything.

OK, then why do it?

Quote:The government can try to make guns illegal without a registry just as easy as with it.  And if the government does make all guns illegal all gun owners have to do is the exact same thing they are doing now.  Just lie and claim all your guns were stolen.  The registry will not help the government confiscate any weapons.

Oh, silly rabbit.  This is being addressed as we speak.  You simply make failure to report a stolen firearm a crime.

http://lawcenter.giffords.org/gun-laws/policy-areas/gun-owner-responsibilities/reporting-lost-stolen-firearms/

Quote:Nine states and the District of Columbia require firearm owners to report the loss or theft of any firearms to law enforcement. A tenth state, Maryland, requires individuals to report the loss or theft of handguns and assault weapons but not other firearms, while an eleventh state, Michigan, requires owners to notify law enforcement about firearm thefts but not lost firearms.

New Jersey has also adopted a relevant law imposing civil liability for acts perpetrated with stolen firearms, as described below.

You're right though, no penalties will result from just claiming your guns were stolen.  How many times can a lawyer be ignorant of the law before we have to question their competence?

(02-14-2018, 11:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: 17 killed. Gun nut, filled social media with photos of him with weapons. History of making threats, everyone knew he'd do something like this.

Terrible.

Clearly a lot of facts to be determined, but this situation screams of someone failing to do their job.  It appears that every clear warning sign existed and no apparent steps were taken.  I'm betting on several systemic failures in the system, from failing to report/prosecute threats, on down.  I'd be shocked if some people didn't lose their jobs over this
Mega thread for school shootings...

WTF
Idiots always ruin it for everybody else.

I dont even own a gun. But ive been supportive of the right to buy assault rifles. Trying to ban them and get rid of them seems totally unrealistic and damaging to self preservation. Especially with 3d printer tech. Like saying ok as a country we are just going to get rid our nukes and most of our military.

But damn. Im getting sick of this shit. Feels like im standing there watching a intersection and little kids are getting mowed down every day and all i have to do is put up a stop sign.
Remember 6 months ago when it was all but a forgone conclusion that "Bump Stocks" were going to be subject of a federal ban after the Vegas shooting? Here we are and nothing has been done (federal wise, a few states have), and I feel the same will happen here. There will be outrage about this from both sides for a month and then it too will fade into the background of the political landscape.
(02-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Clearly a lot of facts to be determined, but this situation screams of someone failing to do their job.  It appears that every clear warning sign existed and no apparent steps were taken.  I'm betting on several systemic failures in the system, from failing to report/prosecute threats, on down.  I'd be shocked if some people didn't lose their jobs over this

The question I ask is "are the agencies really working together to share this information?"

Is there a pipeline designed to pass this information from the schools to the appropriate authorities? From the school stand point, it seems like they did what they could within their limitations. I'm sure the local resource officer knew of the situation and did their job properly, but is there a formal line between school and local/state/federal authorities for people like this?

Because as far as I know, there only seems to be an informal one in my area. One of the functions of schools needs to be to identify dangerous people and have them monitored.

Of course we can then ask "well, what did this guy do [as an adult] that was illegal prior to this to allow the authorities to step in?"
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

nothing will get done as long as politicians take blood donations from the NRA (Rubio took 3 million plus) and Rubio and governor Scott both has A+ ratings from the NRA

But this wasnt a muslim kid or a brown kid at all, so we'll just chalk it up to mental illness and ignore part of the problem because he was white

Oh, and when a piece of lettuce makes someone sick, we recall ALL the lettuce
People suck
Schools have to become like airports I guess. A security area with metal detectors.
thanks baby hands

Attached Files Image(s)

People suck
(02-15-2018, 10:07 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Schools have to become like airports I guess.  A security area with metal detectors.

Or we could just start turning in our "weird" neighbors and friends.

That said I think we do need to keep an eye on the weird guy....but that leads (to me) to a more slippery slope that background checks or gun registration databases.

Edit: I guess the POTUS didn't make a new tweet to say this but attached it to his DACA tweet. Thus the way the embedded tweet looks above. His a very stable genius. Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(02-15-2018, 10:07 AM)Goalpost Wrote: Schools have to become like airports I guess.  A security area with metal detectors.

I do work in multiple industries and the one who is least funded for security upgrades is the education market. Putting in things like metal detectors isn't feasible due tot he cost associated with them and the scope of just how many schools there are out there. It really is a messed up market as there aren't security minded people in place in most schools to help identify security short comings. When the occasional limited funding is made available to schools through a state or what not, they often have it to fix locks and doors or install cameras because they are simply so far behind the times. One of my biggest gripes is that cameras are often the major "security" upgrade schools pay to make. Cameras are a reactionary tool that will tell you after the fact what happened but does very little for prevention of things, or stopping the incident while it's going on. 

One thing to watch for is, how did the shooter get in the school? Most schools are moving towards a single entry setup, locking down all doors other than the main door while school is in session.
(02-15-2018, 10:19 AM)Griever Wrote: thanks baby hands

[Image: 27857749_409826919457362_296760867151215...e=5B0FDFB1]
(02-15-2018, 10:27 AM)GMDino Wrote: [Image: 27857749_409826919457362_296760867151215...e=5B0FDFB1]

yeah i knew i attached that wrong, but stupid work interrupted my chance to fix it, lol
People suck
(02-15-2018, 10:32 AM)Griever Wrote: yeah i knew i attached that wrong, but stupid work interrupted my chance to fix it, lol

LOL.  Just lending a helping hand because I saw it after you posted!

I stopped trying to do things from my phone on here.  
(02-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wait, the Constitution isn't a legal document?

The Constituttion does not keep us from regulating dangerous activity.  I think we have been over this already.
(02-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: There's an interesting contradiction of though that takes place in people like you.  You rail against the police and how they can't be trusted, yet you trust them with this kind of power.  You're right though, there's zero evidence of the government abusing their power of its citizens, silly me for implying such a thing could occur.

No contradiction at all.  I don't trust police, but at the same time I realize that they are necessary.  That is why I am in favor of more regulations on police activity.

I have also never said that the government never abuses its power.  Again, that is why I am in favor of strong regulation.

Want to address what I have really said instead of just making up strawmen to knock down?
(02-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You're right though, no penalties will result from just claiming your guns were stolen.  How many times can a lawyer be ignorant of the law before we have to question their competence?

I am not ignorant of these laws at all.  In fact in one of the gun threads I addressed making these laws universal and I believe you were the one who whined about them. (could have been someone else).

Glad we both acknowledge that gun owners take advantage of lax regulation in order to transfer guns illegally and then avoid prosecution by just reporting them stolen.  Too bad only 9 states have done something about it so far.
(02-14-2018, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Having a gun registry and license requirement will not change anything.

(02-15-2018, 03:03 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote:  
OK, then why do it?

Hopefully the word "context" will show up on  your "word of the day" calendar soon.

When you understand "context" you will understand the difference between this

(02-14-2018, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Having a gun registry and license requirement will not change anything.

and this....

(02-14-2018, 04:45 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Having a gun registry and license requirement will not change anything.  The government can try to make guns illegal without a registry just as easy as with it.  And if the government does make all guns illegal all gun owners have to do is the exact same thing they are doing now.  Just lie and claim all your guns were stolen.  The registry will not help the government confiscate any weapons.