Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kacy's Mock '17
1 Haason Reddick, OLB, Temple
[Image: Haason-Reddick.jpg]
The Bengals have had their eye on him since the Senior Bowl and for good reason. He’s as fast and athletic as any LB in this draft. Possesses the strength to take on the run, and the fluidity and instincts to drop into coverage and cover RBs and TEs. And as an added bonus, he fills the Bengals number one need – pass rush!!! An athletic and fluid base LB and a nickel pass rusher; The LB they have been looking for.

2 Malik McDowell, DE/DT, Michigan State
[Image: malik-mcdowelljpg-00a026e96e480a85.jpg]
McDowell falls here because of his lack of effort down the stretch due to Michigan State’s lackluster season. But when he’s properly motivated and his motor is humming he’s tough to stop. He’ll line up outside in base and will dominate in the run game, then slide inside to rush next to Geno. With the picks of Reddick and McDowell, they make the Bengals front seven potentially elite, improving the run defense and pass rush at the same time.

……………………...Base 4-3……………………………………………….....Nickel……………………
….……..Burfict……Minter.…Reddick………………………..…Burfict……………….….Vigil…………
McDowell….Billings…..Atkins….Dunlap………….Reddick….McDowell……Atkins…..Dunlap

3 Ethan Pocic, C, LSU
[Image: lsuethanpocic.jpg]
The Bengals have a tendency to draft replacements a year before the incumbent’s contract is up. In Pocic, the Bengals get their center of the future, unless of course Bodine has a stellar season. In any event, Pocic will provide depth as an athletic center with the flexibility to play multiple positions along the offensive line.

4Roderick Johnson, OT, Florida State
[Image: 6_3236243.jpg]
Johnson needs a lot of technique work and will need to improve his overall strength before he develops into starting material. But he has all the raw tools needed to develop in to a solid starting left tackle for the Bengals. Johnson will be a backup swing tackle as a rookie and should either Ogbuehi or Fisher falter, he’ll be there to step in and take over in year two. Reminds me of the Anthony Collins pick in 2008.

4Samaje Perine, RB, Oklahoma
[Image: oklarun22.jpg]
A bowling ball of a RB. The Bengals want to get back to running the football effectively and Perine possesses good vision and can break the tackles that the current Bengals RBs cannot. Not much a threat as a receiver out of the backfield but has good enough hands for the screen game and check downs.

5Mack Hollins, WR, North Carolina
[Image: 6_3185867.jpg]
My favorite WR for the Bengals in this draft and is very underrated in my estimation. Great burst off the line to push receivers up the field to excel in hitches and comebacks. Will help solve the redzone woes as he has the ball skills to win 50-50 balls and is adept at back shoulder fades. And he possesses the one thing the Bengals need most in their WR corp – DEEP SPEED that can instantly take the top off a defense.

5Bucky Hodges, TE, Virginia Tech
[Image: 6_4013308.jpg]
One of the most athletic TEs in this draft class. He is a very good pass catcher, although he bobbles some balls from time to time, and can win on the 50-50 balls. Contorts his body to make some tough catches and can run like a big WR. His skills set will help solves the Bengals redzone woes. Only problem is he needs a lot of work as a blocker. Shows very little effort and will need to show some “want to” if he wants to see the field.

6Jarron Jones, DT, Notre Dame
[Image: 6_1161819.jpg]
The Bengals take a flyer on this massive man oozing with the talent to be a starting nose tackle. Injuries have slowed his development but at this point in the draft he’s worth the gamble. If you watch the Miami tape, then you’d think he’s a first-round pick. Problem is he doesn’t always play up to his talents. Hopefully strong coaching will get him playing with more consistency.

6Tedric Thompson, S, Colorado
[Image: Tedric-Thompson-696x492.jpg]
Instinctive ball hawking safety. He falls here because he’s lacking top end speed but his disciplined eyes and knack for being in the right place at the right time allows him to make many plays on the ball. If nothing else, he provides solid depth.

7Tanner Vallejo, LB, Boise State
[Image: VallejoCSU]
Smooth, fluid, athletic LB with the range to excel in coverage. Has a nose for the ball in the run game too. Has to get stronger though as large lineman can give him problems at times.

7Gareon Conley, CB, Ohio State
[Image: gareon-conley-ohio-state-2015-660-350.jpg]
In all likelihood he won’t fall this far, but with his allegations swirling it’s possible that he may not be drafted at all. It’s unlikely that all 11 pick will make the team, so they use the extra pick here to secure Conley’s rights. If he’s guilty then you release his rights. If he’s not then you have a steal. I think we’d all like to have La’el Collins right now instead of what we got out of Mario Alford. I’ll admit though that this scenario is highly improbable.
Reply/Quote
I like it overall, it beefs up our defense and gives us some good depth along the offensive line. Perine is a solid RB, although he's not my favorite, he'd slot in well here. Like Hodges at TE, you didn't panic and go Howard in the first which is good in my eyes. Love the Reddick and McDowell picks as they both have the potential to turn our front 7 into a nightmare. Last but not least Conley will most likely tumble and if he's there in the 7th, why not.
Reply/Quote
Good, overall. I'd rather see a WR and/or RB before a 2nd pick on the OL, but I'd be ok with this. McDowell could be a massive steal in 2.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote