Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kalief Browder
I'm not sure if anyone knows the story of this young man. He spent 3 years on Rikers after being accused of stealing a backpack. His case never went to trial, though he stood before the bench over 30 times throughout. Each time being an extensions. Eventually his case was dismissed. It's an extreme example of the injustice in our justice system, but it happens more often than people realize where delays occur and it ends up ruining an innocent person's life. Not just from the time out of society and the accusations they suffer, but in some instances the abuse they endure while imprisoned. Solitary confinement is a sticky subject with many organizations and nations viewing it as inhumane and cruel. Our own courts have noted that prisoners in solitary have reduced mental capacities. Mr. Browder spent two years in solitary on Rikers. Upon release he struggled with the mental toll it took on him and was in and out of psychiatric wards after suicide attempts, the first of which occurred in solitary.

On Saturday, 06 June, Kalief did take his own life.

I had heard about this story some time ago, but the New Yorker really brought it to the attention of the public. Here is the story from yesterday. Links to the original story as well as some follow up information are embedded within: http://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/kalief-browder-1993-2015

Kalief wasn't a kid with a spotless record. The first article mentions previous police run-ins. But even with that it is inexcusable for this to occur.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Crazy story. Held without a trial. Such a shame.
I have a hard time with a lot of the justice system, but sometimes I don't see the option. If you can't make bail, we literally imprison you without having found you guilty of anything, but what's the option? Solitary? A few days as discipline seems OK, but some people spend years there. But in the case of prisoners who prey on others, what is the alternative? Loss of freedom is the punishment, not being raped, beaten and robbed.

(I'm not speaking of this story specifically, but just the system in general.)
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
In courtrooms I've been in, it's not uncommon for minor cases to take six months to a year before they see a resolution. Just my opinion, but the resolutions most often were plea deals because, guilty or innocent, the person arrested had already served at least half the sentence and would have had a chance at getting out anyway. It's easier on everybody to plead a case out than to have to present witnesses, evidence and testimony before the judge. So they plea out and get on with their life, guilty or innocent.

More severe crimes are different — although I think they tend to plead out more, too — but it seems like that was a factor in drug possession, shoplifting, bad checks, minor theft, domestic disturbances, etc.
Man.......He spent more time in jail than most drunk drivers that kill people do.
[Image: Defensewcm.gif]
(06-08-2015, 12:33 PM)Bmoreblitz Wrote: Man.......He spent more time in jail than most drunk drivers that kill people do.

I think aggravated vehicular carries a pretty steep sentence.  Like 20 years.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

John Oliver just did a segment on the issue of jail bonds last night. In DC it's illegal make someone post bail when it is clear they don't have the means to pay it. Florida has a program where people who aren't at risk to flee the country get out without bail and just have to check in with the court service that reminds them they have a court date. Depending on the nature of the charge they may have to wear an ankle monitor and take drug tests to stay out on free bond. Seems reasonable.

[Image: Cz_eGI3UUAASnqC.jpg]
(06-08-2015, 04:17 PM)6andcounting Wrote: John Oliver just did a segment on the issue of jail bonds last night. In DC it's illegal make someone post bail when it is clear they don't have the means to pay it. Florida has a program where people who aren't at risk to flee the country get out without bail and just have to check in with the court service that reminds them they have a court date. Depending on the nature of the charge they may have to wear an ankle monitor and take drug tests to stay out on free bond. Seems reasonable.

John Oliver has some great segments. His NSA/Snowden episode was fantastic
(06-08-2015, 05:50 PM)StLucieBengal Wrote: John Oliver has some great segments.   His NSA/Snowden episode was fantastic

It's bad when an HBO comedy show that exists for entertainment does more to discuss social issues, tackle corruption and challenge viewers perceptions than the actual news. 
(06-09-2015, 10:00 AM)6andcounting Wrote: It's bad when an HBO comedy show that exists for entertainment does more to discuss social issues, tackle corruption and challenge viewers perceptions than the actual news. 

The actual news has been declining in usefulness for quite some time now.
(06-09-2015, 10:25 AM)Beaker Wrote: The actual news has been declining in usefulness for quite some time now.

This can be blamed completely on the advent of the 24 hour news programs and the need to fill that time.
[Image: m6moCD1.png]

(06-09-2015, 11:04 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This can be blamed completely on the advent of the 24 hour news programs and the need to fill that time.

I don't think it would be a big deal if cable news filled their non-prime time hours with less than super important news. But even the regular channels that only have an hour of serious news a night spend time on celebrity gossip and royal baby crap. 
(06-09-2015, 10:25 AM)Beaker Wrote: The actual news has been declining in usefulness for quite some time now.

(06-09-2015, 11:04 AM)SteelCitySouth Wrote: This can be blamed completely on the advent of the 24 hour news programs and the need to fill that time.

(06-09-2015, 02:09 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I don't think it would be a big deal if cable news filled their non-prime time hours with less than super important news. But even the regular channels that only have an hour of serious news a night spend time on celebrity gossip and royal baby crap. 

I can't even watch it anymore, especially the 24hr cable news.  I usually get a newspaper everyday, I feel it's way more informative as what's going on in the world.  At least the important stuff anyways.
(06-09-2015, 02:17 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I can't even watch it anymore, especially the 24hr cable news.  I usually get a newspaper everyday, I feel it's way more informative as what's going on in the world.  At least the important stuff anyways.

I wish our local news paper was decent.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(06-09-2015, 02:17 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I can't even watch it anymore, especially the 24hr cable news.  I usually get a newspaper everyday, I feel it's way more informative as what's going on in the world.  At least the important stuff anyways.

I pretty much follow stories through social media and guys like John Oliver. I get plenty of articles by the Washington Post, NYT and HuffPo, but I also get plenty for independent sites that are basically anti-media and generally cover specific issues. I also get a lot of stories posted by activist organizations such the ACLU, Cop Block, FIRE (campus speech), YAL (student oriented libertarian group), IJ (eminent domain attorneys that do pro bono work) and so forth. Like everything, all of them have their own biases, some more than others, but that's not really a problem because they are all more open about it that the mainstream media. It also helps that I have a healthy mix liberal, libertarian and to a lesser extent conservative sources so I hear the same stories from multiple sides and cross-examine them all with one another.
(06-09-2015, 02:28 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I wish our local news paper was decent.

Meh...Cincinnati Enquirer is alright for local news.  I prefer the NYT for international news though.
(06-09-2015, 02:53 PM)6andcounting Wrote: I pretty much follow stories through social media and guys like John Oliver. I get plenty of articles by the Washington Post, NYT and HuffPo, but I also get plenty for independent sites that are basically anti-media and generally cover specific issues. I also get a lot of stories posted by activist organizations such the ACLU, Cop Block, FIRE (campus speech), YAL (student oriented libertarian group), IJ (eminent domain attorneys that do pro bono work) and so forth. Like everything, all of them have their own biases, some more than others, but that's not really a problem because they are all more open about it that the mainstream media. It also helps that I have a healthy mix liberal, libertarian and to a lesser extent conservative sources so I hear the same stories from multiple sides and cross-examine them all with one another.

You've got way more time on your hands than I do. LOL  Seriously Kudos to you for getting as many angles as you can on your news.
(06-09-2015, 03:14 PM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: You've got way more time on your hands than I do. LOL  Seriously Kudos to you for getting as many angles as you can on your news.

Obviously, why else would I be on a bengals board.

It's not like I sit down and read anything for an hour. I usually hop on my computer for 10 minutes while I eat (I'm enjoying sugar free jello with vanilla Greek yogurt as icing right now  Big Grin ) or scroll through my Facebook feed from my phone when I'm out and have a minute.
I'd be very interested to know how many of the continuances in this man's case were requested by the defense. For some reason this rarely gets mentioned.
(06-09-2015, 10:00 AM)6andcounting Wrote: It's bad when an HBO comedy show that exists for entertainment does more to discuss social issues, tackle corruption and challenge viewers perceptions than the actual news. 

You got that right mate. People are too polarized on D and R they forget what matters. It's always party over everything.

As far as the news goes, I also do a variety,.... Anymore it's the only way to get a full picture.