Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Newseum changing
http://www.nbcwashington.com/news/local/Newseum-Makes-Changes-as-Funding-Falls-Short-214676101.html

I realize a lot of folks probably haven't even heard of Newseum, but they (and the foundation that's bankrolled much of what Newseum does) have done a lot to further First Amendment understanding. They don't just do newspapers and newspaper information, they work to inform people what their rights are under the First, and why it's vital.

I hope the changes won't impact that goal, but it's good to see they're at least trying to control costs to hopefully keep that effort going. Our First Amendment laws have probably never been more sound, but there may never have been such a well funded attack on them, either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
We take our students every year. It's an awesome museum, but a pricier field trip since it's not free like the Smithsonian museums.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(08-30-2017, 11:21 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: We take our students every year. It's an awesome museum, but a pricier field trip since it's not free like the Smithsonian museums.

There might be some positives in looking at their financials, like better ticket prices. 

Newseum recently hosted a group of editors I belong to and pretty much just turned over a large part of the building. Free everything, including having Newseum staff providing services (serving food, cleanup, etc). Probably indicative of why they're in financial trouble.
I don't know if you saw, but that article is 4 years old.

Anyway, outstanding place. I follow their stuff on social media, but I have yet to go when I make pilgrimages to DC. It is much more interesting to me than it is to the wife, and so it never makes the list.
(08-30-2017, 12:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know if you saw, but that article is 4 years old.

Anyway, outstanding place. I follow their stuff on social media, but I have yet to go when I make pilgrimages to DC. It is much more interesting to me than it is to the wife, and so it never makes the list.

Facepalm

Was on my phone this morning and got the wrong link.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/08/29/newseum-may-consider-outright-sale-of-its.html

From this year LOL
Quote:Jeffrey Herbst has stepped down as president and CEO of the Newseum as its board begins a full financial review of the museum that may result in the sale of its massive Pennsylvania Avenue NW home.

The Freedom Forum, the museum’s main benefactor and owner of the Newseum building, announced Monday it has retained counsel to review “any and all available options” regarding the building, including its utilization, an investigation into “additional condominium structures for shared use” as well as potential for a sale-leaseback or outright sale.

They're discussing selling the building or, as I understand it, opening it to commercial opportunities. 
(08-30-2017, 12:30 PM)Benton Wrote: Facepalm

Was on my phone this morning and got the wrong link.

https://www.bizjournals.com/washington/news/2017/08/29/newseum-may-consider-outright-sale-of-its.html

From this year LOL

They're discussing selling the building or, as I understand it, opening it to commercial opportunities. 

Definitely sad to hear about. Hopefully they turn it around, because it is an important institution.
(08-30-2017, 12:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I don't know if you saw, but that article is 4 years old.

He's in KY.  Getting an article in 4 years is actually pretty fast there.  After a while one holler looks like all the rest.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Newseum eh? Do they have any original copies of Thomas Paine's Common Sense on display?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
(08-30-2017, 11:29 AM)Benton Wrote: There might be some positives in looking at their financials, like better ticket prices. 

Newseum recently hosted a group of editors I belong to and pretty much just turned over a large part of the building. Free everything, including having Newseum staff providing services (serving food, cleanup, etc). Probably indicative of why they're in financial trouble.

It's also in an incredibly big building in a pretty expensive part of town. It's massive, but it's also more massive than it needs to be since so much of it is just open overlooking the lobby.  One of the downsides of being a private museum. You can't just put it in South East DC, but it' not like they can just set up shop on the Mall.  
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]