Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Karras nicknames OT group Cincinnati Skyline
(04-29-2024, 05:57 PM)bfine32 Wrote: I just hope Mims is starting to Karras' left this year

Is Burrow even going to be able to see over Mims and Brown if they're standing next to each other? Ninja
[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
Mims CAN play all over the line besides Center. I am actually on the fence a little here. I understand what Sled and TLL are
saying about concentrating on RT because of Trent Brown's injury history, but I understand Bfine's thoughts as well about
getting the best starting 5 in front of Burrow.

Mims can play with either hand, unlike Carman, this was noted by his OL coach, he is this talented and he is extremely athletic
and could be great at pulling as a Guard.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 01:55 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Whit did it at 6'7"

Ogden did it at 6'9"

They both turned out alright.

I'm sure I can find others

What you are suggesting is exactly what we did with Dax; limiting his gameday snaps as a rookie because we were set at FS. IMO they should have gotten him gameday snaps at various spots in the backfield.

It's easy to say "take all practice snaps at OT", but are you talking RT or LT or do we want to try to make him a swing tackle and jack his footwork up?

Of course only my opinion but I want to see him getting gameday reps.       

Well using two of the very best tackles to make a point is one thing, now list the tackles who were moved to guard and floundered (nevermind, you'll still be typing tomorrow Wink ) 
Dax Hill was drafted to play safety and Lou has had him learning all the positions. This year he is evidently going to be a corner.
As far as Mims goes, make him the right tackle and be done with it. OBJ is playing the left side. We have Brown for as long as he lasts this year on the right side. I still say Mims needs to concentrate on being up to speed at that position and not dicking around trying to learn to play guard. Especially considering his low snap count in college. He's statistically too tall to be a good guard, as D linemen will constantly get under him. Yes, there are outliers like Whit, but they are few and far between. We need tackles, not guards. If we need a guard, then sign a guard. KISS is the way to go. I swear, it's like people signing Burrow because we needed a QBm then wanting to give him snaps at TE.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 02:15 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Is Burrow even going to be able to see over Mims and Brown if they're standing next to each other? Ninja

That's more of an Arizona problem.   Ninja

[Image: ezygtxlgrc061.jpg?auto=webp&s=2744f6d7ca...9da9702202]

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well using two of the very best tackles to make a point is one thing, now list the tackles who were moved to guard and floundered (nevermind, you'll still be typing tomorrow Wink ) 
Dax Hill was drafted to play safety and Lou has had him learning all the positions. This year he is evidently going to be a corner.
As far as Mims goes, make him the right tackle and be done with it. OBJ is playing the left side. We have Brown for as long as he lasts this year on the right side. I still say Mims needs to concentrate on being up to speed at that position and not dicking around trying to learn to play guard. Especially considering his low snap count in college. He's statistically too tall to be a good guard, as D linemen will constantly get under him. Yes, there are outliers like Whit, but they are few and far between. We need tackles, not guards. If we need a guard, then sign a guard. KISS is the way to go. I swear, it's like people signing Burrow because we needed a QBm then wanting to give him snaps at TE.

You make good points Sled, but you also have to look at the player. Mims has great balance and can get low better than about anybody
his size. I agree on taking a Guard that is out there, Connor Williams, Dalton Risner (our new coach has a history with this guy) Andrus
Peat are all out there.

With Trent Brown's injury history on top of everything you say in the end I just keep Mims at backup RT like you say.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 08:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's more of an Arizona problem.   Ninja

This is really funny, this is an extreme to what I see with the Cards QB in Kyler Murray.  Hilarious

Reminds me of the T-Rex arms pics that have been done ha ha 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 08:31 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Well using two of the very best tackles to make a point is one thing, now list the tackles who were moved to guard and floundered (nevermind, you'll still be typing tomorrow Wink ) 

People keep forgetting that Whitworth was not great at LG: he was passable, but was infinitely better at LT.

Like how Carman is better at T, how Flozell Adams (if you want another T to G sitch) was not as good at G as he was at T, the guys should hypothetically be able to play at a multitude of spots, but some are better at T and some are better at G, that's just how it is.

EDIT* BTW, Karras apparently performed the Heimlich Maneuver on Gesicki and saved his life a couple of weeks ago, when they were eating steak.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
Hopefully the chili winds help propel them to victory
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mims CAN play all over the line besides Center. I am actually on the fence a little here. I understand what Sled and TLL are
saying about concentrating on RT because of Trent Brown's injury history, but I understand Bfine's thoughts as well about

Mims can play with either hand, unlike Carman, this was noted by his OL coach, he is this talented and he is  extremely athletic

I think Zac already hinted Mims was not going to play OG. 
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 08:53 AM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: That's more of an Arizona problem.   Ninja

That is hilarious!!
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 03:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think Zac already hinted Mims was not going to play OG. 

Way too early for any designation regardless what ZT said, imho. Like Tyson said "everybody has a plan until they get hit", so can the same be said in football with injuries.
Reply/Quote
(04-30-2024, 02:35 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Mims CAN play all over the line besides Center. I am actually on the fence a little here. I understand what Sled and TLL are

Mims can play with either hand, unlike Carman, this was noted by his OL coach, he is this talented and he is  extremely athletic

And if Brown gets hurt and we're trotting Cody Ford out there at RT (Not a shot a Cody, but he is what he is) because Mims has twisted his ankle playing guard, that's just gonna suck. Right now I'm most comfortable with OBj at LT backed by Carman, Volson at LG, Karras, Cappa, and Brown at RT backed by Mims. I know some don't like Volson, but he continues to improve, shows flashes, and for a certain number of weeks last year out interior line was ranked #1.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 03:45 PM)sandwedge Wrote: I think Zac already hinted Mims was not going to play OG. 

Bit early to say such a thing, but I understand, the coaches seem to love Volson.

I don't hate the guy either as you know, I defend Volson a ton on here, but think Mims could play Guard is all I am saying.

Mims OL coach said he can play on either side of the line and at Guard if needed. He has the talent to do so and do it at a high level.

(05-01-2024, 04:34 PM)higgy100 Wrote: Way too early for any designation regardless what ZT said, imho. Like Tyson said "everybody has a plan until they get hit", so can the same be said in football with injuries.

Always good to have our options open.

(05-01-2024, 04:39 PM)Sled21 Wrote: And if Brown gets hurt and we're trotting Cody Ford out there at RT (Not a shot a Cody, but he is what he is) because Mims has twisted his ankle playing guard, that's just gonna suck. Right now I'm most comfortable with OBj at LT backed by Carman, Volson at LG, Karras, Cappa, and Brown at RT backed by Mims. I know some don't like Volson, but he continues to improve, shows flashes, and for a certain number of weeks last year out interior line was ranked #1.

I understand Sled, like I said in my post after that one, I do think it is the best idea to keep Mims as backup RT.

Just saying that Mims has the ability to play Guard or on either side of the Line with his balance, athleticism and smarts.

As you know, I have defended Volson a ton on here. But we can get better at LG and do think Mims would be better at LG right off the bat.

Volson has been terrible to open up both his first two seasons, just the way it has been. Hope it is different this year.
Reply/Quote
(05-01-2024, 02:16 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: People keep forgetting that Whitworth was not great at LG: he was passable, but was infinitely better at LT.

Like how Carman is better at T, how Flozell Adams (if you want another T to G sitch) was not as good at G as he was at T, the guys should hypothetically be able to play at a multitude of spots, but some are better at T and some are better at G, that's just how it is.

EDIT* BTW, Karras apparently performed the Heimlich Maneuver on Gesicki and saved his life a couple of weeks ago, when they were eating steak.

Mims doesn't have to great at LG, he just has to be the best we have to be the starter. 

Obviously asking the following question w/o knowing the answer. 
How often does an (uninjured) Olineman selected in the first 20 picks not start?  
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote

Yeah, cause that's like the exact same thing....
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote