Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Katie Blackburn
(01-27-2019, 02:21 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: So let me get this straight, katie learned how to be a gm from one of the worst owners in nfl history and somehow she is supposed to he the savior of the franchise?

If you dont think there is someone out there way more talented and qualified to run this franchise than katie i have a bridge to sell you in the the middle of Antarctica.  

Jackie robinson might have something to say here as far as breaking barriers in pro sports btw.

Sorry, but nepotism still sucks and i have zero faith the brown family will magically change because mike is out of the way. 

Was that all mike brown who didnt sign whitworth? How about drafting ross at 9? How about not going after any fa when basically your whole starting offense is injured? Thats "gm of the year material?" I could go on here.

I get the fans want to be positive but i just cant swallow the katie is going to drastically improve the front office decision making pill.

THEY NEED TO HIRE A GM.. AND NOT ONE ATTACHED BY CRONEY NEPOTISM TO THE BROWN FAMILY.

I think Katie will assume more of a normal 'owner' type role, and she'll let Duke Tobin handle the actual GM related duties. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think Katie will assume more of a normal 'owner' type role, and she'll let Duke Tobin handle the actual GM related duties. 

If so, do you think that’s something in his wheel house?

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:38 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: I think Katie will assume more of a normal 'owner' type role, and she'll let Duke Tobin handle the actual GM related duties. 

Yep, and who knows after Mike is totally out of the picture she may name an actual GM in title and authority. Could be Tobin or someone else ? She may totally change it all up.

I'd guess she's not going to just totally kick Dad and his ideas/ways to the curb out of respect.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:40 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: If so, do you think that’s something in his wheel house?

Well, he's been the quasi-GM for years. With Mike seemingly taking a back seat, and Marvin now gone...I think he finally gets his chance to be the GM for real, even if he may not have the official title. Dehner was talking about this on his podcast the other day, saying that Tobin is basically doing everything a GM would be doing. His father was a very good football man, and I think Duke has many of those same qualities if he's allowed to do the job without interference from Mike and others.
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:50 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: Well, he's been the quasi-GM for years. With Mike seemingly taking a back seat, and Marvin now gone...I think he finally gets his chance to be the GM for real, even if he may not have the official title. Dehner was talking about this on his podcast the other day, saying that Tobin is basically doing everything a GM would be doing. His father was a very good football man, and I think Duke has many of those same qualities if he's allowed to do the job without interference from Mike and others.

I guess the difference in how effective he can be would be based on how much interference he gets?

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:55 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I guess the difference in how effective he can be would be based on how much interference he gets?

That, and if he's allowed full GM type authority in decision making. When Mike and Marvin were in the picture, how often do you suppose that Duke was the winning voice in the room? I doubt it was very often. I honestly think Katie will take more hands off approach as far as normal football related decisions and then we'll see what Duke is capable of. 
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:59 PM)Bengalholic Wrote: That, and if he's allowed full GM type authority in decision making. When Mike and Marvin were in the picture, how often do you suppose that Duke was the winning voice in the room? I doubt it was very often. I honestly think Katie will take more hands off approach as far as normal football related decisions and then we'll see what Duke is capable of. 

I'd say your probably right, or at least hope so.

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 09:33 AM)Sled21 Wrote: Marvin made 6 million a year, and was one of the highest paid coaches in the league, because, you know, Mike Brown is cheap

Smallest coaching staff and scouting staff in the league or damn near. And some other coaches made $10M
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 10:57 AM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: Law of diminishing returns

That was my exact thought about 30 seconds ago when i read gramps latest post.  Mellow

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(01-27-2019, 02:21 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: So let me get this straight, katie learned how to be a gm from one of the worst owners in nfl history and somehow she is supposed to he the savior of the franchise?

If you dont think there is someone out there way more talented and qualified to run this franchise than katie i have a bridge to sell you in the the middle of Antarctica.  

Jackie robinson might have something to say here as far as breaking barriers in pro sports btw.

Sorry, but nepotism still sucks and i have zero faith the brown family will magically change because mike is out of the way. 

Was that all mike brown who didnt sign whitworth? How about drafting ross at 9? How about not going after any fa when basically your whole starting offense is injured? Thats "gm of the year material?" I could go on here.

I get the fans want to be positive but i just cant swallow the katie is going to drastically improve the front office decision making pill.

THEY NEED TO HIRE A GM.. AND NOT ONE ATTACHED BY CRONEY NEPOTISM TO THE BROWN FAMILY.

First what does Jackie Robinson have to do with Marion Motley and Bill Willis being the first African American players signed to a Pro Sports team?

Jackie Robinson did what Jackie Robinson did.

Which was to be signed in 1947 and become one of the greatest players in baseball history.

Marion Motley and Bill Willis did what Marion Motley and Bill Willis did.

Which was to be signed in 1946 and become two of the greatest players in NFL history.

1946 came before 1947, so I have no idea what that dig was aimed at.

I haven't the slightest idea why you brought up Jackie Robinson. He was the first African American player signed to the MLB.

Happy Chandler took a lot of heat for doing it too.

Chandler had the power to void Robinson's contract, but he chose to approve it. It cost him his job, but he approved it.

Also Marvin Lewis to a point, said going forward everything was on him.

He said they got rid of coaches and that next was players.

Which if we take him at his words, means players were on the table. 

Obviously, with his job on the line he didn't feel that bringing in someone and teaching them the playbook was a very viable option, with the people available in free agency.

Not signing Whitworth was on both parties. They offered him and the Rams offered him. Whitworth decided to go elsewhere.

Whitworth signed a three-year deal which pays him over $11 million annually.

The Bengals offered him 10 million, but wouldn't sign him for more then one year with him being 35, with the ability to sign continuous one year deals at that price.

He decided on the Rams, he's a grown man and can make his own decisions.

In my opinion, they should of offered him more years if that's what he wanted.

I hold this amazing ability as a human being to both criticize and praise at the same time.

Going to 5 straight playoff appearances deserves praise, whether people like it or not.

Cutting ties with a coach after 3 straight none playoff seasons and signing an innovative offensive mind deserves praise, whether people like it or not.

Just as not signing Whitworth deserves criticism, whether people like it or not.

It doesn't have to be one or the other.
[Image: i-8rLM4gw-M.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 06:59 AM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: I agree, from everything I've read, she took a more prominent role starting after the 2010 season.

Then this year it seems like she's just completely taking the role of GM over.

I read an interview from Jerry Jones today about his first ever senior bowl.

“I’ll never forget the first morning that I was here in Mobile. We had a staff meeting. We had our entire coaching staff. Jimmy Johnson was our coach. We had the entire scouting staff. And it probably was in excess of 35-40, and it could’ve been — counting pilots and all — it could’ve been 45 people. Well, Mike Brown of the Cincinnati Bengals — my good friend — came up and he had his staff of three. And he asked me — and I’d been in the league. This was February, that I’d bought into the league. And he said ‘Are you enjoying this?’ And I said ‘This is the greatest thrill I’ve had to date.’ And he said ‘Well, I hope you are, because you don’t need 50 people to scout this place.’”

Jerry Jones and Mike Brown are good friends and both are known for running the day to day operations.

Though they go about it with very different approaches.

It just struck me that essentially Mike Brown had a staff of three and Jerry had a staff of nearly fifty.

But if reports are true that Katie took a more prominent role after 2010 season. That means we had those 5 straight playoff appearances she since took on a more prominent role.

This year it seems, at least from reports, that she's completely doing all the hires and interviews. That essentially for all intents and purposes she's the GM.

Not a fan of Jerrah, but his case full of Lombardi trophies wins any argument between his and Mike’s managerial prowess. Even if those Lombardi’s are 20+ years old.
Through 2023

Mike Brown’s Owner/GM record: 32 years  223-303-4  .419 winning pct.
Playoff Record:  5-9, .357 winning pct.  
Zac Taylor coaching record, reg. season:  37-44-1. .455 winning pct.
Playoff Record: 5-2, .714 winning pct.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 04:30 AM)Jhowdy54 Wrote: Wonder why Paul Brown jr never got involved with the Bengals.

For what it's worth from an anonymous guy on a message board, he's not the sharpest tool in the shed.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(01-25-2019, 11:40 PM)TheBengalsMind Wrote: Something has been on my mind here lately. The discussion around here lately has been Katie Blackburn has been running things.

The reports said that it was Katie, not her dad Mike Brown, that did every single interview. Not only was she doing the interviews, but she was traveling all over America to do those interviews.

While her dad is still the one signing the checks, she's the one doing the ground work.

She was out there traveling to make sure she got the best coach for the job. She interviewed ever single candidate that we as fans could of hoped for.

Early indications are that it's going to be Zac Taylor. Sean McVay created a position for him on the Rams coaching staff after being blown away by his interview, naming him assistant WR Coach before becoming QB coach, McVay said that he was 'over qualified' for the job he gave him from reports I've read.

Even Jon Gruden said he was going to be a good head coach. I've heard nothing, but similar praise from everyone who has worked with him.

This franchise was created by the Paul Brown, the man who signed the first ever African American athlete in Pro Sports history.

He fought for equality in sports. He wanted the best player period! As Jim Brown said 'If you did things his way, you never had to worthy about anything else.' You were set and you had a friend for life.

Well, this franchise has a chance to be innovative and break barriers again.

As we all know Zac Taylor could come in here and go 12-4 or 4-12 just as easily. I know that, you all know that. Plus, it's still early. We have the draft, free agency and still have to fill out the rest of the coaching staff.

But if this turns out to be a slam dunk coaching hire and we win our first playoff game in years, does Katie Blackburn deserve to be the first ever, to my knowledge, female NFL executive of the year?

I think she does.

What are your thoughts on this?

Do you all think Katie is essentially running the show?

I think bringing Marvin back last year was 100% Mike Browns call. All the moves that have happened the last few weeks don't feel like Mike Brown moves, so its possible the he's completely backed off. Who knows, from what we've all gathered Mike is a stubborn, meddlesome man, who feels like because of his father that he's some kind of football prodigy. Running this team is all that he's done, and i could see him trying to hold on as long as he can.
[Image: s4ed9rgnqb251.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2019, 10:03 AM)HarleyDog Wrote: Always thought she was attractive till I saw her at this angle. Now, not at all.

[Image: 168616342.jpg.0.jpg]

What did she look like 28 years ago?  I'm sure we all looked better before MB took over.
Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 11:14 AM)Earendil Wrote: What did she look like 28 years ago?  I'm sure we all looked better before MB took over.

And when we were 28 years younger. 
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
Being a great leader/executive has nothing to do with having all the answers.

It's knowing where to find them and having the humility to ask.

She probably doesn't know (expletive) about football, but if she knows to surround herself with good people who do, she will be successful and so too, in turn, will be the Bengals.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
http://thebengalsboard.com/Thread-After-years-of-speculation-seems-us-dumb-message-board-fans-were-on-to-something

:andy:

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote
(01-28-2019, 11:14 AM)Earendil Wrote: What did she look like 28 years ago?  I'm sure we all looked better before MB took over.

Working with her dad has aged her. But Katie was never a looker by any means. 
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote

Think again. :andy: 

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/09/25/sports/on-pro-football-when-paul-brown-smashed-the-color-barrier.html

Quote:Brown was 11 years old in 1946 when his father, Paul Brown, the founder, part owner and coach of the Cleveland Browns, fielded a team with two African-American players.

A year before Robinson played his first game with the Brooklyn Dodgers, Brown smashed the modern color barrier in professional sports.

"Better send those refunds..."

Reply/Quote

I know that I sure looked a heck of a lot better, 28 years ago..

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote