Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Katie Blackburns moment in spotlight.
Nice article on one of the most powerful women in football.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/25/nfl-katie-blackburn-cincinnati-bengals

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/22/cincinnati-bengals-executive-vice-president-katie-blackburn-workplace-diversity/82138824/
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Good read. It's been very easy to give her shit over the years but imagine if it was you who has been under Mike Brown's thumb for 20+ years. He's finally letting go and it seems the front office is in good shape.
Reply/Quote
Sweet article, thanks for sharing. I love Katie Blackburn and it will be awesome when she is the owner lol.
Reply/Quote
Good read. Looking forward to the day when she runs the show.
Reply/Quote
Katie and the Organization as a whole have come a long way from the lows. MB deserves alot of credit for the personnel decisions and where the Bengals are at now. ML also.

Hope the structure they have developed sustains the success of the team into the future.

Who Dey!!!!!
Reply/Quote
I liked her response to the question of the Rooney rule, as applied to women. I get the feel that she is not for forcing the issue so that women get their shot, as much as she believes that it is just a natural evolution of the sport in relation to modern times.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 10:25 AM)jj22 Wrote: Nice article on one of the most powerful women in football.

http://mmqb.si.com/mmqb/2016/03/25/nfl-katie-blackburn-cincinnati-bengals

http://www.cincinnati.com/story/sports/nfl/bengals/2016/03/22/cincinnati-bengals-executive-vice-president-katie-blackburn-workplace-diversity/82138824/

I found this interview to be very p.c.  She didn't say much.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 10:40 AM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Sweet article, thanks for sharing. I love Katie Blackburn and it will be awesome when she is the owner lol.

this  ThumbsUp
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
All I heard was....business, business, corporation, carry on lineage....and football is fun. Not one word about doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl...not one. In fact she said the exact opposite of that. Long term "success" over a single year benefits. Uhhhh What!? If you are a few good players away from drastically increasing you chances of winning a Super Bowl...you go get those players! I certainly could stand a few down years if there were a few Lombardi Trophies in the case. This is a win now league....you can't be afraid to put all your chips in now and then. I like Katie, but this article has me a little worried. It sounds like Mikey boy 2.0. I hope not.
Reply/Quote
I said it on the old board but I'll say it again.

Picture this,

Katie Blackburn sitting behind a huge desk talking to another owner or a reporter and on the right side of the desk, which is to Katie's left, is Marvin Lewis sitting in a chair with his legs crossed and arms resting on the arms of the chair. Mike Brown is in the background in an open bathrobe wearing a t-shirt, boxers, dark socks and sandals watering the plants.

The owner of the other team or reporter starts to ask Mike Brown a question and Mike Brown interrupts him and says "If you want any answers, if you want to talk, speak the Katie...she has my full confidence and control over the organization now" and he shuffles out of the room.

That's what I picture whenever anyone brings Katie Blackburn up and I can not wait, lol.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 07:08 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: All I heard was....business, business, corporation, carry on lineage....and football is fun. Not one word about doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl...not one. In fact she said the exact opposite of that. Long term "success" over a single year benefits. Uhhhh What!? If you are a few good players away from drastically increasing you chances of winning a Super Bowl...you go get those players! I certainly could stand a few down years if there were a few Lombardi Trophies in the case. This is a win now league....you can't be afraid to put all your chips in now and then. I like Katie, but this article has me a little worried. It sounds like Mikey boy 2.0. I hope not.

I also did not find this to be a great or very illuminating interview.  She deflected most of the questions and sounded very  much like MB.  However, when she is actually in control it may be a different story.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 10:38 AM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: Good read. It's been very easy to give her shit over the years but imagine if it was you who has been under Mike Brown's thumb for 20+ years. He's finally letting go and it seems the front office is in good shape.

Meh, it would probably be worth it to inherent a billion-dollar business, but I'm more of the easy going type.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 07:43 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: I said it on the old board but I'll say it again.

Picture this,

Katie Blackburn sitting behind a huge desk talking to another owner or a reporter and on the right side of the desk, which is to Katie's left, is Marvin Lewis sitting in a chair with his legs crossed and arms resting on the arms of the chair. Mike Brown is in the background in an open bathrobe wearing a t-shirt, boxers, dark socks and sandals watering the plants.

The owner of the other team or reporter starts to ask Mike Brown a question and Mike Brown interrupts him and says "If you want any answers, if you want to talk, speak the Katie...she has my full confidence and control over the organization now" and he shuffles out of the room.

That's what I picture whenever anyone brings Katie Blackburn up and I can not wait, lol.

I can't help but think that you are way off base with that statement.  Did you eschew religion, and take up drinking, just for the purpose of that post??

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think she gave responses very much in character of someone raised by Mike Brown. She doesn't want to be the story. I wish is someways she would take a more prominant role in the NFL. Hopefully after the complete transition takes place and she is actually the President of the club

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 08:31 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Meh, it would probably be worth it to inherent a billion-dollar business, but I'm more of the easy going type.

No matter how much money you made it would be difficult to do your job with a Mike Brown sized boulder on your chest. 
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 09:37 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: No matter how much money you made it would be difficult to do your job with a Mike Brown sized boulder on your chest. 

As much as I doubt Mike Brown's competence, I think Katie won the "born into a nearly ideal situation" sweepstakes.  What could be better than being born an American sole inheritor of 1 of 28 or so billion-dollar fool-proof businesses?  Yowza.

I'm just sayin'.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 07:08 PM)Gamma Ray Tan Wrote: All I heard was....business, business, corporation, carry on lineage....and football is fun. Not one word about doing whatever it takes to win a Super Bowl...not one. In fact she said the exact opposite of that. Long term "success" over a single year benefits. Uhhhh What!? If you are a few good players away from drastically increasing you chances of winning a Super Bowl...you go get those players! I certainly could stand a few down years if there were a few Lombardi Trophies in the case. This is a win now league....you can't be afraid to put all your chips in now and then. I like Katie, but this article has me a little worried. It sounds like Mikey boy 2.0. I hope not.

We have the players we don't have the coach. (1pm regular season he is GREAT) Remember she suggested Coughlin.(2X SB Champion) We also don't have any refs in our pocket. She has done all she can do. 

Reply/Quote
We should also remember that it was after Katie completely took over doing player contracts that we both started doing much better at retaining our top players and at paying well while staying in great cap position. For example, while front loaded deals were not invented by her she uses them very systematically and seems to decline on doing backloaded deals. End result is while the deal seems smaller to the media the player actually gets more because the backloaded deal does not put the team under pressure to get out of its closing years.
Reply/Quote
(03-25-2016, 10:48 AM)masonbengals fan Wrote: Good read. Looking forward to the day when she runs the show.

She, her husband Troy, and Marvin already do....
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2016, 05:13 AM)Atomic Orange Wrote: We have the players we don't have the coach. (1pm regular season he is GREAT) Remember she suggested Coughlin.(2X SB Champion) We also don't have any refs in our pocket. She has done all she can do. 

I agree with the refs comment, but to be fair there have been extenuating circumstances in each playoff loss.  If the Bengals had won even a couple of those first round games, I think there would be a lot more support for the coaching staff.  Hopefully, once they get that first round monkey off their back they will go all the way.  At least that is what I see happening.  
Reply/Quote