Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kava
So, Kava bars have been the local hipster thing for the last few years here. That may mean the closest one to the 'nati is in TN or NY - but maybe there is one in Northside or Clifton. I really don't know...

Anywho, any of you young bucks (or old geezers) ever try kava? I tried it today for the first time and I am not sure if I will have it again - I will tell you what I thought of it later. I am just really curious what anyone else here thought of it if you have tried it, if you take it regularly, or if you have even heard of it.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
Yeah. I've tried kava before. A kava drink as well as a vape version of it. I felt some increased energy, but not as much as coffee.

Of course, it also might have been the three lines of cocaine I took with it. Hilarious
[Image: 416686247_404249095282684_84217049823664...e=659A7198]
Reply/Quote
I live in an even more backwoods area than Cinci, so naturally I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 09:29 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I live in an even more backwoods area than Cinci, so naturally I have no idea what the hell you are talking about.

LMAO... Kava is a Pacific Island drink similar to a tea but served cold - it is made from a plant - and I am told that in the islands it is a compliment to tell them it tastes horrible. There are claims it is better than medication for treating anxiety. I just wandered into a place today and they had it so I tried it.

Again, apparently the worse it tastes the "better" it is per the folks who have drank it for centuries. What I had today did indeed taste like crap. I was also told it would numb my mouth and it did. Interesting that 'zona said it gave him energy - most of what I have read and what the girl who served me today also said indicates most people feel mellowed out by it. I have heard that many people who don't like to drink alcohol like Kava because it gives them the relaxed feeling drinking can give but without the impairment and without a hangover the next day. There are also some allegations and indications it causes severe liver damage (also like alcohol). What I tried was gross and mouth numbing and I guess it relaxed me a bit but I am not sure if it really effected me or not.
JOHN ROBERTS: From time to time in the years to come, I hope you will be treated unfairly so that you will come to know the value of justice... I wish you bad luck, again, from time to time so that you will be conscious of the role of chance in life and understand that your success is not completely deserved and that the failure of others is not completely deserved either.
Reply/Quote
I drank this stuff 25 years ago.  Some new-age hippies I knew when I lived in Boulder drank it.  They called it Kava-Kava.

I honestly have not heard of it since then.

I drank it cold with lemon and honey.  It did not taste good at all.

It was supposed to be calming.
Reply/Quote
Have any of you ever tried Yerba Mate? Drank this back in Boulder also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate
Reply/Quote
(03-03-2016, 01:59 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Have any of you ever tried Yerba Mate?  Drank this back in Boulder also

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yerba_mate

Yeah! Dang, this was the stuff I was thinking of earlier, not kava. But I know I tried kava before too way back in the 80's.

Sorry about the confusion. Thanks for bringing this up. ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Why not just smoke a joint to help treat your anxiety? haha
[Image: 1jKEzj4.png]
Formerly known as Judge on the Bengals.com message board.
Reply/Quote
(03-05-2016, 01:20 AM)magikod Wrote: Why not just smoke a joint to help treat your anxiety? haha

I think pretty much everyone who was in kava land the day I visited got high on the way. So I am not sure if the kava was just a social hang out thing - but hipper than Starbucks - or if it somehow was augmenting the weed.
Reply/Quote
(02-19-2016, 09:46 PM)xxlt Wrote: LMAO... Kava is a Pacific Island drink similar to a tea but served cold - it is made from a plant - and I am told that in the islands it is a compliment to tell them it tastes horrible. There are claims it is better than medication for treating anxiety. I just wandered into a place today and they had it so I tried it.

Again, apparently the worse it tastes the "better" it is per the folks who have drank it for centuries. What I had today did indeed taste like crap. I was also told it would numb my mouth and it did. Interesting that 'zona said it gave him energy - most of what I have read and what the girl who served me today also said indicates most people feel mellowed out by it. I have heard that many people who don't like to drink alcohol like Kava because it gives them the relaxed feeling drinking can give but without the impairment and without a hangover the next day. There are also some allegations and indications it causes severe liver damage (also like alcohol). What I tried was gross and mouth numbing and I guess it relaxed me a bit but I am not sure if it really effected me or not.

I was with you up to the "severe liver damage," and now I'll have to pass. Well, "gross and mouth numbing" doesn't help.
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2016, 10:02 PM)Awful Llama Wrote: I was with you up to the "severe liver damage," and now I'll have to pass.  Well, "gross and mouth numbing" doesn't help.

I have a memory from my youth (early 1970's) of that being the title on the marquise at the old XXX Cinema on Monmouth St. in Newport.
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 03:01 PM)xxlt Wrote: I have a memory from my youth (early 1970's) of that being the title on the marquise at the old XXX Cinema on Monmouth St. in Newport.

Ah, the memories of youth.  I saw a sign in Newport once that read "Fingerpaint a Live Nude".  Oh the dreams..........
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-18-2016, 11:54 PM)Tiger Teeth Wrote: Ah, the memories of youth.  I saw a sign in Newport once that read "Fingerpaint a Live Nude".  Oh the dreams..........

I've done that,  though I don't think she was a model, and it wasn't in an art class. Mellow
Reply/Quote
Ayahuasca would be much more interesting.
-That which we need most, will be found where we want to visit least.-
Reply/Quote
(03-20-2016, 02:23 AM)RICHMONDBENGAL_07 Wrote: I've done that,  though I don't think she was a model, and it wasn't in an art class. Mellow

Oh, heck yeah. I've fingered several live nudes. Cool

And one whom I wasn't sure if she was still alive or not. Nervous
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 11:13 PM)Devils Advocate Wrote: Ayahuasca would be much more interesting.

WAY more interesting

[Image: 9780141189864.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 11:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Oh, heck yeah. I've fingered several live nudes. Cool

I've taken home some questionable women...but I'm quite certain they were all breathing! Shocked
Reply/Quote
I've bought it at CVS in capsule form. Thought it might help with insomnia. Not ineffective, but not great, either. Smelled like diarrhea when I opened the bottle.
Reply/Quote
(03-22-2016, 11:31 PM)Bengalzona Wrote: Oh, heck yeah. I've fingered several live nudes. Cool

Sick
[Image: DC42UUb.png]
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Update: so I met this hipster who told me Kava is good, but if it didn't do much for me to try Kratom. (If a "bar" has one they likely have the other.) He also directed me to the best Kava bar in town, while telling me the bar I had been to was still very good

I tried Kratom a few months ago at the "best" place and subsequently learned the FDA was contemplating a ban.

Well, public outcry nixed the ban and I have had Kratom a few more times since the first, and I have to say it is a great drink for me. Much like Kava, it tastes awful, but the effects are fantastic. I do not feel high or impaired at all, but it definitely eliminates pain and elevates mood. Chalk one up for the dirty hippie tribe, of which many have long claimed I am a lost a member.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mitragyna_speciosa
Reply/Quote