Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-04-2018, 03:21 PM)GMDino Wrote: https://www.washingtonpost.com/investigations/brett-kavanaugh-bushs-intellectual-body-man/2018/08/24/7c6b989e-a0d8-11e8-b562-1db4209bd992_story.html?utm_term=.c2c42281c675

"merely a clerk"

Your awesome ability to post a link from a left leaning source that clearly states he was not a policy maker, but is filled with commentary from bias sources aside.

Yes; he was merely a clerk.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-04-2018, 03:32 PM)Nebuchadnezzar Wrote: Wow, the Left on this committee, in the peanut gallery and on this board are the biggest bunch of babies and whack jobs I have ever seen.

Obviously you have not watched any congressional hearings before.

Both parties act like this when they have to put on a show for their followers.  You should have seen the tenth time the Republican Congress dragged out Benghazi for a new hearing even though they knew they had nothing to hang on Clinton.
(09-04-2018, 03:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Your awesome ability to post a link from a left leaning source that clearly states he was not a policy maker, but is filled with commentary from bias sources aside.

Duties aside, the more relevant issue is: "We asked for documents from Kavanaugh’s time as staff secretary because he admitted those years shaped his views as a judge, particularly with regard to issues of executive power".

Some people are making a big deal out of the documents, but if Kavanaugh has said or implied that's where a lot of his opinions came from, then that period and documents are relevant. Ultimately, it's all irrelevant as support is going to be party line, but how he's likely to rule is relevant.

And I think folks screaming about executive privilege when a democrat is POTUS aren't going to find an ally in Kavanaugh. Same with folks who want justices to enforce the constitution instead of legislate, such as wiretapping. 
(09-04-2018, 03:39 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Your awesome ability to post a link from a left leaning source that clearly states he was not a policy maker, but is filled with commentary from bias sources aside.

Wait, are you calling the White House Staff Secretary, the role that is the gatekeeper to the POTUS for paperwork and the head of the largest of the White House offices, "merely a clerk"? You might want to learn more about that position.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-04-2018, 03:48 PM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously you have not watched any congressional hearings before.

Both parties act like this when they have to put on a show for their followers.  You should have seen the tenth time the Republican Congress dragged out Benghazi for a new hearing even though they knew they had nothing to hang on Clinton.

Or for a more recent example, when the Judiciary and Oversight Committees had their hearing with Strzok.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-04-2018, 03:53 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Wait, are you calling the White House Staff Secretary, the role that is the gatekeeper to the POTUS for paperwork and the head of the largest of the White House offices, "merely a clerk"? You might want to learn more about that position.

Sure. Do you think he made policy? Would it be better is I said "merely a secretary"?**

** Disclaimer: bfine's intention is not to belittle to hard work done by clerks and secretaries throughout the world. It is to illustrate they have no policy making capacity. They are simply administrative assistants.

(09-04-2018, 03:48 PM)Benton Wrote: Duties aside, the more relevant issue is: "We asked for documents from Kavanaugh’s time as staff secretary because he admitted those years shaped his views as a judge, particularly with regard to issues of executive power".

Some people are making a big deal out of the documents, but if Kavanaugh has said or implied that's where a lot of his opinions came from, then that period and documents are relevant. Ultimately, it's all irrelevant as support is going to be party line, but how he's likely to rule is relevant.

And I think folks screaming about executive privilege when a democrat is POTUS aren't going to find an ally in Kavanaugh. Same with folks who want justices to enforce the constitution instead of legislate, such as wiretapping. 

Well then judge him on his rulings. Don't hold him accountable for documents that a prior administration chooses not to release.

From what I understand his rulings are usually supported by his peers.

(09-04-2018, 04:03 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Sure. Do you think he made policy? Would it be better is I said "merely a secretary"?**

** Disclaimer: bfine's intention is not to belittle to hard work done by clerks and secretaries throughout the world. It is to illustrate they have no policy making capacity. They are simply administrative assistants.

He most certainly did make policy. Maybe not the policies we all hear about, but he was responsible for what paperwork made it to the Resolute Desk and what didn't. What was sent out to other staff and when. He was responsible for setting those policies and that has a major impact on things.

Technically speaking, the elected officials are the policy makers, but they have abdicated some of that responsibility to lower level bureaucrats which then delegate it to lower level bureaucrats, and so on. Gatekeeper roles like he was in have a large impact on policy that many people overlook.

Hell, I make policy in my role and it is much more perfunctory than what Kavanaugh did in the Bush administration and that's not even taking into account he also held the title of Assistant to the President, which carries more influence.

yes...all those "bias sources" they got with the FIOA, his own emails and speeches and articles.   Mellow
[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
(09-04-2018, 04:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: He most certainly did make policy. Maybe not the policies we all hear about, but he was responsible for what paperwork made it to the Resolute Desk and what didn't. What was sent out to other staff and when. He was responsible for setting those policies and that has a major impact on things.

Technically speaking, the elected officials are the policy makers, but they have abdicated some of that responsibility to lower level bureaucrats which then delegate it to lower level bureaucrats, and so on. Gatekeeper roles like he was in have a large impact on policy that many people overlook.

Hell, I make policy in my role and it is much more perfunctory than what Kavanaugh did in the Bush administration and that's not even taking into account he also held the title of Assistant to the President, which carries more influence.

Yeah, I'll just stop there and say we disagree.

FWIW, Pretty sure all Dems are going to vote no. Are they wanting to see documents to change their answer to hell no?

Booker is announcing his desire to run for POTUS in 2020 with his marathon opening remarks.

(09-04-2018, 04:22 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Booker is announcing his desire to run for POTUS in 2020 with his marathon opening remarks.

I have a feeling that after the midterms he won't be as keen on it. He isn't the type of candidate that the people voting are looking for. The establishment would like him, but not the voters.

Harris is letting Booker know he'll have competition in 2020

[Image: giphy.gif]
Warning: Reading signatures may hurt your feelings.
A few things.  Shannon Watts is a garbage tier human being.  Second, what was the intent of the father in introducing himself in such a fashion and then attempting to shake Kavanaugh's hand?  Maybe Kavanaugh doesn't want to be part of someone's political propaganda attempts?  I mean, we did decide in the Mollie Tibbits thread that we shouldn't politicize a tragedy, right?
(09-04-2018, 04:56 PM)GMDino Wrote:

In big k’s defense, he can’t be seen shaking hands with a liberal. Especially not with his check cashing hand.

Some guy he doesn't know interjecting himself into some sort of official proceeding?.  I don't really blame Kavanaugh for just walking away.  It is not like this happened at a social gathering where it is normal for people to approach and talk.  Did this guy really think Kavanaugh was going to stop and engage him in some sort of extensive conversation when he is finishing some official hearing?

(09-04-2018, 05:23 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: A few things.  Shannon Watts is a garbage tier human being.  Second, what was the intent of the father in introducing himself in such a fashion and then attempting to shake Kavanaugh's hand?  Maybe Kavanaugh doesn't want to be part of someone's political propaganda attempts?  I mean, we did decide in the Mollie Tibbits thread that we shouldn't politicize a tragedy, right?

The same guy, literally just yesterday.

Either he shakes the guys hand, and there's a picture of it and everyone goes "oh man, what a hypocrite showing sympathy while supporting the 2nd Amendment!" or he doesn't shake the guy's hand and there's a picture of it and everyone goes "oh man, what a monster not shaking the hand of the guy who lost his daughter!"

I'd choose to not shake the guy's hand who has literally stated it's his goal to stop your greatest life achievement from happening if it's a trap either way.

But man did the left get some real outragebaiting all over the internet out of that scripted encounter.

(Disclaimer: I really don't know much about Kavanaugh, nor do I particularly care if he gets appointed or not. If he was someone I could vote for or against, I would, but I can't, so I feel like the hand wringing over it is just unnecessary worry for me.)

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
(09-04-2018, 01:14 PM)Vlad Wrote: LOL!

That's right democrats, we need to confirm Kavanaugh before we find out whats in it...right Nancy?

Hours before Kavanaugh hearings, Bush lawyer releases 42,000 pages to Judiciary Committee

Hours before the start of hearings on Brett Kavanaugh’s nomination to the Supreme Court, the lawyer for former president George W. Bush turned over 42,000 pages of documents from the nominee’s service in the Bush White House, angering Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer, who issued what is certain to be a futile call to delay the proceedings.

“Not a single senator will be able to review these records before tomorrow,” Schumer (D-N.Y.) tweeted

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.5290c3d37a93

Two wrongs make a partisan right. 

The fact that 42,000 pages were released just prior to his hearing should, under normal circumstances, mean a delay. 
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-04-2018, 04:14 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: He most certainly did make policy. Maybe not the policies we all hear about, but he was responsible for what paperwork made it to the Resolute Desk and what didn't. What was sent out to other staff and when. He was responsible for setting those policies and that has a major impact on things.

in a similar vein, clerks often times guide precedent, being the gatekeepers for the justices they clerk for. Way too much for one person to read or go through on their own.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]