Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-14-2018, 12:56 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Garland wasn't nominated because by the time Obama was lame duck, his party was in the minority.  If the Dems had won elections then Garland is there.  So this is a we lost and didn't get what we wanted argument.  Wasn't there a midterm where some Dems didn't want Obama's endorsement and they lost anyway.  

(09-14-2018, 01:02 PM)fredtoast Wrote: The Republicans refused to approve the nomination because they claimed there was an upcoming election and "the will of the voters should decide".

Now there is an election upcoming so shouldn't the approval be delayed to let "the will of the voters to decide" this time also?

Yeah, the lame duck wasn't (and shouldn't be) the issue. Every POTUS should be considered as a lame duck as a second term isn't guaranteed. 

McConnell's argument was 'let the people decide who should nominate with the election so near.' Well, we've got midterms coming up, so I'm sure he'd prefer to slow things down and make sure the will of the people is heard. 
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-14-2018, 01:32 PM)Benton Wrote: McConnell's argument was 'let the people decide who should nominate with the election so near.' Well, we've got midterms coming up, so I'm sure he'd prefer to slow things down and make sure the will of the people is heard. 

Not saying it's right but both sides do it.  Biden said the same thing and would have gladly had Garland get pushed through.
What the GOP did with Garland was wrong, what the Dems are doing is wrong.

If you ever want to find out if you are biased ask yourself which one of this you support.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(09-14-2018, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: What the GOP did with Garland was wrong

Agreed not even meeting with the choice or giving him a chance at confirmation was politics at its worst.

(09-14-2018, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: what the Dems are doing is wrong.

Asking for full disclosure is wrong?

Showing where a man about to be put in a position for life on the Supreme Court lied under oath, twice, is wrong?

(09-14-2018, 03:56 PM)bfine32 Wrote: If you ever want to find out if you are biased ask yourself which one of this you support.

Indeed.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-14-2018, 04:01 PM)GMDino Wrote: Agreed not even meeting with the choice or giving him a chance at confirmation was politics at its worst.

Asking for full disclosure is wrong?

Showing where a man about to be put in a position for life on the Supreme Court lied under oath, twice, is wrong?

Indeed.

Stating you are not going to recommend before the hearing begin and some refusing to talk to kavanaugh is wrong. This doesn't even touch on their theatrics during the hearing. At least you answered the bias question; however, with you, there was really never any doubt.

(09-14-2018, 02:13 PM)Goalpost Wrote: Not saying it's right but both sides do it.  Biden said the same thing and would have gladly had Garland get pushed through.

And that's ultimately where we are in American politics.

'Well, it's dirty, but the other side does it, soooo...'
(09-14-2018, 04:06 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Stating you are not going to recommend before the hearing begin and some refusing to talk to kavanaugh is wrong. This doesn't even touch on their theatrics during the hearing. At least you answered the bias question; however, with you, there was really never any doubt.

What about wanting full disclosure and his lying under oath?

Is also "wrong" to talk about?  Equally as wrong at what happened to Garland?
Kavanaugh is already compromised and should step down. He is a Gambling addict. Fact.
(09-14-2018, 04:38 PM)GMDino Wrote: What about wanting full disclosure and his lying under oath?

Is also "wrong" to talk about?  Equally as wrong at what happened to Garland?

Are we going to play 20 questions?

Full disclosure is good, but perhaps, maybe, just maybe the Dems are requesting docs they know they cannot have just as a political stunt.

Lying under oath is not good.

Wrong is wrong. Rational people on both sides of the aisle see this.

(09-14-2018, 05:07 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Are we going to play 20 questions?

Full disclosure is good, but perhaps, maybe, just maybe the Dems are requesting docs they know they cannot have just as a political stunt.

Lying under oath is not good.

Wrong is wrong. Rational people on both sides of the aisle see this.

So in you world asking actual questions at an actual hearing is as wrong as not even holding the hearing and denying someone a chance to answer the questions.

Weird.

Wrong, but weird.
(09-15-2018, 12:15 AM)GMDino Wrote: So in you world asking actual questions at an actual hearing is as wrong as not even holding the hearing and denying someone a chance to answer the questions.

Weird.

Wrong, but weird.

Not sure I'm prepared to assign levels of "wrongness". I'll leave that to the Left.

(09-14-2018, 05:00 PM)ballsofsteel Wrote: Kavanaugh is already compromised and should step down. He is a Gambling addict. Fact.

Curious as to what your definition of “fact” is.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

I think what is interesting about the nomination of Kavanaugh is that he has been an unabashed partisan actor in the past. While we all know judges have partisan skews, this is a bit unprecedented.

I hadn't put much into the allegations being raised until the information from WaPo came out over the weekend. The timing was suspect to me. However, the inclusion of documentation from the accuser's therapist indicating she discussed this incident six years ago gives me more pause about this and gives the allegation much more credibility.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-15-2018, 12:50 AM)michaelsean Wrote: Curious as to what your definition of “fact” is.

I'm curious about that with a lot of people on here.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-15-2018, 12:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure I'm prepared to assign levels of "wrongness". I'll leave that to the Left.

Oh!

So when discussing murder and pickpocketing it will be up to "the left" to assign a "level of wrongness".

Or let's compare if someone says "hit" about a photo of a girl in a story about a crime and someone making a joke about someone's former job that they take very seriously.

Either of those wrong?  Both?  The same "level of wrongness"?

Please.  The bias views that you ascribe to so many of the people you simply disagree with with is just as bad in your statement.
(09-15-2018, 12:46 AM)bfine32 Wrote: Not sure I'm prepared to assign levels of "wrongness". I'll leave that to the Left.

So you will finally admit that Hillary did not break the law?
Gee, I wonder what the Trump supporters will think about Kavanaugh grabbing some girl by the p*ssy back when he was an entitled private school boy?
The GOP fighting hard to support and confirm a man accused of sexual assault.... Go figure. This is what the GOP have become.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
(09-17-2018, 10:28 AM)jj22 Wrote: The GOP fighting hard to support and confirm a man accused of sexual assault.... Go figure. This is what the GOP have become.

Well that would make two on the SC.

But I have more a problem with the lying under oath as that is demonstrably true.
(09-17-2018, 09:07 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I think what is interesting about the nomination of Kavanaugh is that he has been an unabashed partisan actor in the past. While we all know judges have partisan skews, this is a bit unprecedented.

I hadn't put much into the allegations being raised until the information from WaPo came out over the weekend. The timing was suspect to me. However, the inclusion of documentation from the accuser's therapist indicating she discussed this incident six years ago gives me more pause about this and gives the allegation much more credibility.

I did not know that. Certainly changes my opinions.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]