Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kavanaugh SCOTUS hearings
(09-26-2018, 01:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is she going to name all the other rapists?  Sad that she didn't report all of these other girls being raped before she was.  Could have saved a lot of trauma.  

Agreed, it could have. I don't know a lot of teens confident enough in doing the right thing to bring it up to someone in authority. Largely because kids aren't stupid, they hear things like "well it's just boys being boys."

When that's the attitude of authority, it doesn't give many-- especially the powerless-- confidence they'll do something.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-26-2018, 01:35 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, it could have. I don't know a lot of teens confident enough in doing the right thing to bring it up to someone in authority. Largely because kids aren't stupid, they hear things like "well it's just boys being boys."

When that's the attitude of authority, it doesn't give many-- especially the powerless-- confidence they'll do something.

We are talking multiple gang rapes here.  And she kept going back after seeing it happen to other girls.  A little odd.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-26-2018, 01:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Is she going to name all the other rapists?  Sad that she didn't report all of these other girls being raped before she was.  Could have saved a lot of trauma.  

Maybe if there is an investigation....  Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(09-26-2018, 02:09 PM)GMDino Wrote: Maybe if there is an investigation....  Cool

So now we stop confirmation hearings every time someone claims something?  Maybe come forward in a timely manner.  
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(09-26-2018, 01:39 PM)michaelsean Wrote: We are talking multiple gang rapes here.  And she kept going back after seeing it happen to other girls.  A little odd.

1- if it's not uncommon, she might not have realized what she was witnessing was not accepted among her peer group. 

The school district I grew up in had one of the highest rates of teens pregnancy in the country (highest in the state for several years). It was strictly abstince only. That changed about a decade ago when enough people pushed for actual sex Ed.  But the district drew tthe lineat condoms.

About 4-5 years later, pregnancy rates were down by a lot. But std rates were up. The health department did some checking and anal intercourse reports by teens we're way, way up. The reason? Girls said no when they learned they could get pregnant, so the common culture was to have anal sex.

Which leads me to...

2- if you can figure out the teenage mind, write a book. They rarely make sense.
(09-26-2018, 02:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: So now we stop confirmation hearings every time someone claims something?  Maybe come forward in a timely manner.  

I know they should all have come forward immediately...so the GOP could ignore them and vote anyway anyway.  
(09-26-2018, 02:19 PM)GMDino Wrote: I know they should all have come forward immediately...so the GOP could ignore them and vote anyway anyway.  

No they aren't voting until a few days from now.  Two months ago is before that.

(09-26-2018, 02:22 PM)michaelsean Wrote: No they aren't voting until a few days from now.  Two months ago is before that.

You think it matters...that's cute.

The GOP doesn't care.  Period.

If they cared they would have said "let's investigate this now and vote when it is over".  Instead they have said, repeatedly, that they fully expect to vote Kavanaugh in...before even questioning ONE accuser.

More accusers don't matter...if the accusers were around a month ago wouldn't matter.  They've made up their minds and there's really nothing short of a video of Kavanaugh doing something awful that will stop it.

The fact that two women were brave enough to speak up after the first one did seems okay with me.  Sometimes someone has to take the first, scary step.

If they are ALL just "making it up for political purposes" they will have their lives can careers ruined because of it.  Seems like a big risk just to stop one guy from being on the court when there is a list of guys just like him (politically and ideologically) right behind him.
(09-26-2018, 12:56 PM)GMDino Wrote: Another named accuser who obviously just wants to be proven wrong for lying.  I'm sure.   Mellow

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/26/michael-avenatti-identifies-kavanaugh-accuser-as-julie-swetnick.html?__source=sharebar|facebook&par=sharebar

michaelsean already addressed one of my thoughts in the names of the other rapists, but I'm curious as to how she "learned of efforts by Kavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge and others "to spike the drinks of girls at house parties I attended with grain alcohol and/or drugs so as to cause girls to lose inhibitions and their ability to say 'No.' "" If she saw it firsthand, okay. But, if she heard it from someone else, isn't that hearsay and inadmissable in court? 
(09-26-2018, 02:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: michaelsean already addressed one of my thoughts in the names of the other rapists, but I'm curious as to how she "learned of efforts by Kavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge and others "to spike the drinks of girls at house parties I attended with grain alcohol and/or drugs so as to cause girls to lose inhibitions and their ability to say 'No.' "" If she saw it firsthand, okay. But, if she heard it from someone else, isn't that hearsay and inadmissable in court? 

Dunno.  Might need an investigation.   Mellow
(09-26-2018, 02:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: You think it matters...that's cute.

If they cared they would have said "let's investigate this now and vote when it is over".  Instead they have said, repeatedly, that they fully expect to vote Kavanaugh in...before even questioning ONE accuser.

More accusers don't matter...if the accusers were around a month ago wouldn't matter.  They've made up their minds and there's really nothing short of a video of Kavanaugh doing something awful that will stop it.

The fact that two women were brave enough to speak up after the first one did seems okay with me.  Sometimes someone has to take the first, scary step.

If they are ALL just "making it up for political purposes" they will have their lives can careers ruined because of it.  Seems like a big risk just to stop one guy from being on the court when there is a list of guys just like him (politically and ideologically) right behind him.

It doesn't matter if they care.  There is an FBI investigation before confirmation votes.  4 or 5 of them have been done previously, and not a word then or during this current one.  And don't pretend the Dems care or they wouldn't have sat on it.  If Feinstein actually believes all this, then what she did makes her a disgusting human being.

(09-26-2018, 02:29 PM)GMDino Wrote: You think it matters...that's cute.

And the Democrats don't care, either. If they cared, they would have started an investigation as soon as the accusations hit their presence. Instead, they decided politics were more important and waited until the "right" time to spring this news.
(09-26-2018, 02:31 PM)PhilHos Wrote: michaelsean already addressed one of my thoughts in the names of the other rapists, but I'm curious as to how she "learned of efforts by Kavanaugh, his friend Mark Judge and others "to spike the drinks of girls at house parties I attended with grain alcohol and/or drugs so as to cause girls to lose inhibitions and their ability to say 'No.' "" If she saw it firsthand, okay. But, if she heard it from someone else, isn't that hearsay and inadmissable in court? 

They were spiking drinks and raping girls, and not only did she or anyone else not say anything, but they returned.  This was the best kept secret in the world.    

(09-26-2018, 02:32 PM)GMDino Wrote: Dunno.  Might need an investigation.   Mellow

Why didn't the Democrats start one? Why is it the GOP's responsibility when the Dems had ht einformation first?
(09-26-2018, 02:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why didn't the Democrats start one? Why is it the GOP's responsibility when the Dems had ht einformation first?

Didn't even have to start one.  Just turn it over to the FBI when they were doing theirs.

(09-26-2018, 02:42 PM)michaelsean Wrote: They were spiking drinks and raping girls, and not only did she or anyone else not say anything, but they returned.  This was the best kept secret in the world.    

If you're aware of a crime and do nothing to stop it, can't you be convicted of being complicit?  Ninja
(09-26-2018, 01:35 PM)Benton Wrote: Agreed, it could have. I don't know a lot of teens confident enough in doing the right thing to bring it up to someone in authority. Largely because kids aren't stupid, they hear things like "well it's just boys being boys."

It could also be a situation where she is told by friends to avoid the punch and sees the behavior but doesn't connect it until later. The lines outside the room don't have any meaning until you then know what is going on.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

It would be great if we could just investigate these sorts of things without playing out a smear campaign of either Kavanaugh or the accusers in the public forum. Call me crazy, but an impartial investigation may be the best thing to make sure that happens.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-26-2018, 02:47 PM)PhilHos Wrote: Why didn't the Democrats start one? Why is it the GOP's responsibility when the Dems had ht einformation first?

Requires Committee (and/or White House) to refer the matter to the FBI for an investigation into the matter since it isn't their jurisdiction, otherwise. That's all under GOP control.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(09-26-2018, 02:48 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Didn't even have to start one.  Just turn it over to the FBI when they were doing theirs.

Wasn't it turned over to the FBI by Feinstein? I thought I recall that happening, but unless directed to look into it, they aren't going to act.