Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kayak Fishing
I went kayak fishing for the first time, this weekend. A local managed male has a bait shop that started renting these out this season, and I was the first customer.

[Image: 55875576_796621880702919_508073876975832...e=5D09BD88]

I used to love canoeing and kayaking when I was younger, but with over ten years since I had been in a boat of any sort, I had forgotten how much I love it. I didn't catch anything, but it was such a gorgeous morning I didn't even care. It probably helped my father-in-law was up for the weekend prepping for his move (he will be moving in with us this summer). I may have to purchase one of these for myself.

Anyone else into kayak fishing, or just kayaking in general?
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
friends and I go kayaking down the little Miami and other rivers around here during the summer... I only think we tried fishing once... generally just enjoy the day and company.
Reply/Quote
Kayaks are not expensive at all. Look on Craigs list and places like that.

Obviously you can't cover great distances on large lakes, but it would probably work fine for what you want.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 10:10 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: I went kayak fishing for the first time, this weekend. A local managed male has a bait shop that started renting these out this season, and I was the first customer.

[Image: 55875576_796621880702919_508073876975832...e=5D09BD88]

I used to love canoeing and kayaking when I was younger, but with over ten years since I had been in a boat of any sort, I had forgotten how much I love it. I didn't catch anything, but it was such a gorgeous morning I didn't even care. It probably helped my father-in-law was up for the weekend prepping for his move (he will be moving in with us this summer). I may have to purchase one of these for myself.

Anyone else into kayak fishing, or just kayaking in general?
When I lived in San Diego, I used to go kayak fishing all the time. I'd go out past the kelp beds in La Jolla, it's good 1/2 mile out, and drop a line and watch the porpoises and sharks swim by. I live on a lake here in Washington now and we all have kayaks. Not much fishing, just cruise the shoreline anymore.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Kayaks are not expensive at all. Look on Craigs list and places like that.

Keep in mind I just bought a house. Funds are limited at the moment. LOL

In all seriousness, I have a few I am on the lookout for. The worst part is that one I would like to get is currently on Craigslist for my area, but the timing isn't right. The Kayaks I'm looking at will run $800-$1500 new.

(04-01-2019, 11:14 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Obviously you can't cover great distances on large lakes, but it would probably work fine for what you want.

Yeah, the lakes here are small. I do a lot of river fishing, though, so I want one than can work for small lakes and rivers.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 12:09 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: Keep in mind I just bought a house. Funds are limited at the moment. LOL

A good friend of mine some how rolled all his credit card debt into his mortgage when he and his wife bought their first house.  He was thrilled to get rid of all that debt with ridiculous interest rates.  His wife, on the other hand, just saw the clean credit cards as funds to buy new leather furniture for the living room.
Reply/Quote
Doing all of my research for my fishing when I go down south, I have come across a ton of people who Kayak fish in the Northeast, down in Mexico and Costa Rica, as well as around Florida and it seems like a ton of fun.

Then, of course, there's the guy who fishes for shark, sailfish and marlin off a Kayak in Australia and he just takes it to a whole new level.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 02:06 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Doing all of my research for my fishing when I go down south, I have come across a ton of people who Kayak fish in the Northeast, down in Mexico and Costa Rica, as well as around Florida and it seems like a ton of fun.

Then, of course, there's the guy who fishes for shark, sailfish and marlin off a Kayak in Australia and he just takes it to a whole new level.

I watch a ton of fishing videos on YouTube. Some of them have been saltwater kayak anglers, and some are just all around anglers that happen to do some saltwater kayak fishing every now and again. I watch them and I'm like, yeah, I could go for snook or jacks or something, but this one young woman had a rooster fish damn near kill her by pulling her into some rocks. I don't know about all that.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I watch a ton of fishing videos on YouTube. Some of them have been saltwater kayak anglers, and some are just all around anglers that happen to do some saltwater kayak fishing every now and again. I watch them and I'm like, yeah, I could go for snook or jacks or something, but this one young woman had a rooster fish damn near kill her by pulling her into some rocks. I don't know about all that.

[Image: the+old+man+and+the+sea.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 03:00 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I watch a ton of fishing videos on YouTube. Some of them have been saltwater kayak anglers, and some are just all around anglers that happen to do some saltwater kayak fishing every now and again. I watch them and I'm like, yeah, I could go for snook or jacks or something, but this one young woman had a rooster fish damn near kill her by pulling her into some rocks. I don't know about all that.

Lol Costa Rica has killer Roosters!

When I was there last year, I didn't fully realise that I was on THE OCEAN and I walked out to volcanic rocks that jutted out from land.

So the tide is in and I'm wading on SUPER slippery rocks, in about a foot of water, on a rough part of the Pacific Ocean.

I know it would've been super, highly-unlikely, but if a Tiger Shark or a Reef Shark just decided to come up to me and nip, it could've done so no problem (or an Octopus or whatever).

The ocean is chock full of huge and dangerous creatures; I'm always leery lol.
[Image: Truck_1_0_1_.png]
Reply/Quote
I had a friend that ran kayak tours in Florida when he lived there (moved to maine for a job) but they would see gators and manatees occansional shark...

While it sounds like fun ill stick with fresh water in such a tiny boat.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 04:28 PM)Truck_1_0_1_ Wrote: Lol Costa Rica has killer Roosters!

When I was there last year, I didn't fully realise that I was on THE OCEAN and I walked out to volcanic rocks that jutted out from land.

So the tide is in and I'm wading on SUPER slippery rocks, in about a foot of water, on a rough part of the Pacific Ocean.

I know it would've been super, highly-unlikely, but if a Tiger Shark or a Reef Shark just decided to come up to me and nip, it could've done so no problem (or an Octopus or whatever).

The ocean is chock full of huge and dangerous creatures; I'm always leery lol.

Fricken jelly fish will get you more than sharks! Lol 
Reply/Quote
Why would anyone fish for kayaks?
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
I'd been wanting to try it for some time, and last year I got to borrow some to try at my sister's place off the Potomac and loved it. A few months later I got to rent some in Tybee Island, GA and had a ball with dolphins breaching next to me.At the end of the month we are going on a vacation to St. Martin, and I have already scoped out a place to rent one. I might do a little snorkeling off of it too. I have the boats picked out that I want to buy (mine and hers), but I first need a roof rack that will hold it, so I'm buying it in pieces here and there so I don't drain screw up the vacation money.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:04 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: I'd been wanting to try it for some time, and last year I got to borrow some to try at my sister's place off the Potomac and loved it. A few months later I got to rent some in Tybee Island, GA and had a ball with dolphins breaching next to me.At the end of the month we are going on a vacation to St. Martin, and I have already scoped out a place to rent one. I might do a little snorkeling off of it too. I have the boats picked out that I want to buy (mine and hers), but I first need a roof rack that will hold it, so I'm buying it in pieces here and there so I don't drain screw up the vacation money.

I'm just sticking to the freshwater with mine. I will probably spend a good bit of time on the Potomac and the Shenandoah with it when I get one. Both forks of the Shenandoah originate within about 15 miles of where I sit, so I've got lots of good water to fish by kayak. My wife won't get in one, so I only have to worry about one kayak rack, and my Outback can handle that. LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 09:47 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm just sticking to the freshwater with mine. I will probably spend a good bit of time on the Potomac and the Shenandoah with it when I get one. Both forks of the Shenandoah originate within about 15 miles of where I sit, so I've got lots of good water to fish by kayak. My wife won't get in one, so I only have to worry about one kayak rack, and my Outback can handle that. LOL

The family homestead is on the Shenandoah, so I plan to give it a try up there too, but I do think I'll enjoy larger bodies of water more.
Reply/Quote
I love kayaking/canoeing. The last few summers I've volunteered as a 4H counselor and teach both. Lot of fun.

But I've never fished out of one.

My goal is to go kayaking downriver though, just camping and eating whatever I can catch. That's a dream vacation.
Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 10:11 PM)jfkbengals Wrote: The family homestead is on the Shenandoah, so I plan to give it a try up there too, but I do think I'll enjoy larger bodies of water more.

See, my favorite fishing is smallie fishing, and the South Fork is a great smallie fishery. So thus my affinity for it.

Reply/Quote
(04-01-2019, 11:28 PM)Benton Wrote: I love kayaking/canoeing. The last few summers I've volunteered as a 4H counselor and teach both. Lot of fun.

But I've never fished out of one.

My goal is to go kayaking downriver though, just camping and eating whatever I can catch. That's a dream vacation.

Yeah, that's my dream, as well. I've mentioned it before that a camp I went to in Canada as a Scout was canoe or kayak everywhere you go type of camp. It was on a sizeable lake, and there was just no other way to get around. I spent those two weeks just paddling, fishing, and swimming, and it was great. What's nice is that there is so much moving water in my area you could almost never get bored. None of it is super-exciting whitewater or anything, but it's just some nice scenery. It's also great if you're into tubing with a cooler full of beer. LOL

Reply/Quote
(04-02-2019, 08:51 AM)Belsnickel Wrote: Yeah, that's my dream, as well. I've mentioned it before that a camp I went to in Canada as a Scout was canoe or kayak everywhere you go type of camp. It was on a sizeable lake, and there was just no other way to get around. I spent those two weeks just paddling, fishing, and swimming, and it was great. What's nice is that there is so much moving water in my area you could almost never get bored. None of it is super-exciting whitewater or anything, but it's just some nice scenery. It's also great if you're into tubing with a cooler full of beer. LOL

I've got two super huge man made lakes here (Kentucky Lake, Lake Barkley), and the confluence of the Ohio/Mississippi rivers with lots of paths coming off each. Would love to spend more time exploring them than I do.
Reply/Quote