Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Keenan Robinson Visit
(03-13-2017, 05:08 PM)bengalhoel Wrote: What is this cover LB you speak about? You are telling me that LB's are supposed to cover people? So all this time that TE's and RB's are running wild across the middle of the field , there was supposed to be a Bengal covering them????????
I understand the sarcasm, but what a lot of.people dont normally understand is our linebackers are normally coverage guys. We don't use them like 3-4s to bust up the line, we use them to cover and contain. Which is why.some of our picks and pickups at lb have been confusing.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:50 PM)Benton Wrote: I understand the sarcasm, but what a lot of.people dont normally understand is our linebackers are normally coverage guys. We don't use them like 3-4s to bust up the line, we use them to cover and contain. Which is why.some of our picks and pickups at lb have been confusing.

The problem ism our LBs typically are awful in coverage. 
Reply/Quote
Was reading the NFL trade rumors post about Robinson's visit and saw this:

"Robinson appeared in all 16 games for the Giants and recorded 82 tackles no sacks and seven pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 78 linebacker out of 87 qualifying players."

So I guess this guy would fill a hole, but I'm not sure he's worth getting excited about. He'd be our yearly scrap heap LB, just a little younger this time.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 09:50 PM)Benton Wrote: I understand the sarcasm, but what a lot of.people dont normally understand is our linebackers are normally coverage guys. We don't use them like 3-4s to bust up the line, we use them to cover and contain. Which is why.some of our picks and pickups at lb have been confusing.

No

We have them play off and try to contain

Since Lamur left we don't have not a one COVERAGE linebacker.

We just put them in coverage a lot, like tards and wonder why our middle is open against every team
Reply/Quote

Like James Harrison for example
Reply/Quote
I thought Marvin was a LB guru yet we haven't had LB's that could cover since he's been here.
Reply/Quote
He was arguably their best LB. Would rather keep him than JT Thomas. We all know the Bengals won't get him though. Makes too much sense.
Reply/Quote
Instantly becomes our 2nd best linebacker and opens up the draft. Would rather have him than Barwin tbh.
Reply/Quote
Upgrade over what we saw from Dansby last year.

All for this. Robinson, Barwin and Andre would be pretty solid FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 04:52 PM)Joelist Wrote: If he really is a good cover LB who is not past his prime I'd be fine with giving up a comp pick by signing him. It would directly address the big issue in the defense of lack of speed and of LB who are not good versus the pass.
Screw the comp pick. We saw the list of comp pick busts so it wouldn't be much of a loss. Agree the Bengals LBers are suited for the slow running game, period.
Reply/Quote

WHAAAAAT???? Sad Sad Sad
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 10:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Was reading the NFL trade rumors post about Robinson's visit and saw this:

"Robinson appeared in all 16 games for the Giants and recorded 82 tackles no sacks and seven pass defenses. Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 78 linebacker out of 87 qualifying players."

So I guess this guy would fill a hole, but I'm not sure he's worth getting excited about. He'd be our yearly scrap heap LB, just a little younger this time.

I was going to post similar. He's fast, decent in coverage. He's a horrible pass rusher and not really good against the run.

He's probably the caliber of Vinnie Ray...borderline starter but not a difference maker.

Now Minter would be an upgrade.

I like Barkin too...but he's like Harrison...built for an olb spot in a 3-4 or DE. Wasn't that good as a DE in Philly. He's a name though.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 11:20 PM)BengalFanInNJ Wrote: He was arguably their best LB. Would rather keep him than JT Thomas. We all know the Bengals won't get him though. Makes too much sense.

He graded out as their worst LB by PFF.

Google his name and profootball focus grades and you'll see a bunch of results showing how he graded bottom 5 on their defense in a lot of games.
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 04:32 PM)phil413 Wrote: Solid player but he wasn't cut, so I think he'd have to get paid less than peko so they don't negate a high pick that whit or zeitler gets them.

Don't forget, they lost Sexy, too....
Reply/Quote
And Hunt.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(03-13-2017, 10:19 PM)Shake n Blake Wrote: Pro Football Focus has him rated as the No. 78 linebacker out of 87 qualifying players."

(03-15-2017, 11:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He graded out as their worst LB by PFF.

Google his name and profootball focus grades and you'll see a bunch of results showing how he graded bottom 5 on their defense in a lot of games.

PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual rankings are a complete joke.  In 2015 They had Kirk[atrick rated as the 115th CB worse than a bunch of scrubs that barely played when in fact he was atop 30 CB better than half the starting CBs in the league.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual rankings are a complete joke.  In 2015 They had Kirk[atrick rated as the 115th CB worse than a bunch of scrubs that barely played when in fact he was atop 30 CB better than half the starting CBs in the league.

They do...and for what it's worth I think he'd be a nice addition here. You need role players out there too and he would address our pass coverage from the LB spot. He's Vinnie Ray level talent.

His play on the field kind of reminds me of Emmanual Lamur.

IF we add a guy like Rueben Foster in the draft...he'd fit very well with Burfict and Foster. Those 2 would address the pass rushing deficiency.

It's when we try to put guys in roles that they aren't suited for that we have issues.

Overall, I think Minter is the best fit. Then probably Robinson. Then Barwin. (Barwin is suited for the 3-4 and struggled as a DE. We'd have to use him in pass rush situations here for him to succeed.)
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2017, 10:05 AM)fredtoast Wrote: PFF keeps track of some interesting stats, but their individual rankings are a complete joke.  In 2015 They had Kirk[atrick rated as the 115th CB worse than a bunch of scrubs that barely played when in fact he was atop 30 CB better than half the starting CBs in the league.

This is fake news.   Kirkpatrick was garbage that year.   Improved last year.   So I'll give him that.  
Reply/Quote

I don't know if I'd use that example to prove PFF's rankings are a "complete joke". Wasn't DreKirk among the top 3 most penalized CB's that year? He wasn't all that in coverage, either. He improved a LOT last year. If DreKirk graded that poorly for 2016, I'd agree with you. 2015 - while a bit harsh - isn't all that far off IMO.

----------------------------------------------

I just had a thought. What if the Robinson and Minter visits are meant to give the appearance that LB is a dire need, making other teams think we'll draft Reuben Foster when we actually have someone else in mind?
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2017, 11:35 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He graded out as their worst LB by PFF.

Go on any Giants boards and you will see a majority of them want Robinson to stay because he was the best they had.
Reply/Quote