Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep AJ
(10-25-2020, 11:15 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Yep, I’m hoping for once in MB’s 30 year GM career he’ll be proactive and move these guys for picks. But I’m not holding my breath.

Mike Brown did give Duke Tobin the go ahead to be more active in free agency so maybe this will translate to being more active before the trade deadline as well.

AJ, Geno, and Carlos might be attractive to a guy like Bill Belichick.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
No. Too many needs that will require every bit of that 18.75 mil next year. He's not going to get better at his age.

Now if you might want to offer Marvin Jones 7 or 8 mil for a reunion, I'd be on board with that. I'd love to see a fast receiver that can run decent routes added to the Boyd/Higgins corps. Burrow would have fun with that group.
Reply/Quote
I'm not opposed to keeping him if the price is right. He played a cagey old man game today. We've got a star in the making with 85. It's not bad to have a vet around making catches like he did today.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
Even if I wanted AJ back (not sure I trust him to stay healthy) it became significantly less feasible once they signed Mixon to the extension.

All the cap space that's available for FA in 2021 needs to go towards high quality OL and more high quality OL.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:50 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Even if I wanted AJ back (not sure I trust him to stay healthy) it became significantly less feasible once they signed Mixon to the extension.

All the cap space that's available for FA in 2021 needs to go towards high quality OL and more high quality OL.

And a DE if there’s any good ones in FA.

Reply/Quote
Keep him. The last 2 games he's started to look more like AJ. No deep balls or TDs yet but it feels like it's coming. He and Burrow are looking more comfortable each week. 

There's no rule that says you have to get rid of all aging players. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 11:59 PM)rfaulk34 Wrote: Keep him. The last 2 games he's started to look more like AJ. No deep balls or TDs yet but it feels like it's coming. He and Burrow are looking more comfortable each week. 

There's no rule that says you have to get rid of all aging players. 

Usually agree with you rfaulk, but not here. Seems like a classic case of fool me once...

The minute AJ goes down with an injury people’s heads would explode (and rightly so).

Also, is he going to except #3 money? Because that’s clearly what he is at this point. Boyd just had his second 100 yard game of the season, and Tee and Joe are building their chemistry up more every week.

Reply/Quote
I said at the beginning of the year, I wanted to see what AJ had left in the tank. I also was going to reserve judgment until week 5 or 6 since there was no preseason. I would absolutely take AJ back if he was to do a deal like Fitz did with the Cardinals. It's one less need to fill and would maintain continuity in the offense.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:07 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I said at the beginning of the year, I wanted to see what AJ had left in the tank. I also was going to reserve judgment until week 5 or 6 since there was no preseason. I would absolutely take AJ back if he was to do a deal like Fitz did with the Cardinals. It's one less need to fill and would maintain continuity in the offense.

Fitzgerald makes 11 mil a season. We can’t possibly pay a #3 WR that kind of money.

Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:10 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Fitzgerald makes 11 mil a season. We can’t possibly pay a #3 WR that kind of money.

Exactly

The only way I’d even consider resigning AJ is a low base salary performance laden contract. And it would have to be very, dry team friendly. And I’m not even sure I’d do that ? We need to much in the trenches to take a chance on him staying healthy.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:16 AM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Exactly

The only way I’d even consider resigning AJ is a low base salary performance laden contract. And it would have to be very,  dry team friendly. And I’m not even sure I’d do that ? We need to much in the trenches to take a chance on him staying healthy.

I think you'll see a fair amount freed up when Dunlap and some of the others are not around next year.  I'm not saying I'd pay him $11 million, but if he's in the single digits ($9 million or less), I don't see any reason you couldn't bring him back.  Our WR corps is fairly low price if he sticks around at the number.
Reply/Quote
(10-26-2020, 12:04 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Usually agree with you rfaulk, but not here. Seems like a classic case of fool me once...

The minute AJ goes down with an injury people’s heads would explode (and rightly so).

Also, is he going to except #3 money? Because that’s clearly what he is at this point. Boyd just had his second 100 yard game of the season, and Tee and Joe are building their chemistry up more every week.

Well, i'm assuming that he makes it through the season uninjured. That will make it pretty clear if he's worth keeping and for how much. Then it's up to him to decide if he wants to accept that. 

I don't think he'll bring much in a trade and if he's able to make it through the season, what he could bring to the offense is more than what they could get by dealing him. 

"The measure of a man's intelligence can be seen in the length of his argument."
Reply/Quote
I'm still unsure about him long term. He's doing well with the back shoulder throws and intermediate stuff. He still looks really tentative about high-pointing throws and fighting for jump balls. I really wish he'd have fought to get in front of that defender on that Hail Mary today. He's a go-to-guy with his historical skill set and he just didn't appear to fight for it.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:59 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: 8 still seems pretty high for a #3 WR. And I seriously doubt he’d take less than that.

Do you think he gets offered that elsewhere?

I'm fascinated as to what the market is for him.

(10-26-2020, 12:20 AM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I think you'll see a fair amount freed up when Dunlap and some of the others are not around next year.  I'm not saying I'd pay him $11 million, but if he's in the single digits ($9 million or less), I don't see any reason you couldn't bring him back.  Our WR corps is fairly low price if he sticks around at the number.

The departures free up a fair bit of cash but I think they have over $20m in raises due next year - and that's before any new deals for Bates (1 year left) and impending FAs WJIII and Lawson.
Reply/Quote
His last couple of weeks were what we needed to get any sort of return in the trade market. There are a lot of teams right now in contention who need help at WR. Oakland, Indy, Baltimore, Philly, Green Bay, and New Orleans could all use help at WR for a playoff push. If you can get a 3rd like what Detroit got for Golden Tate a few years ago you take it and be happy to do so.
Reply/Quote
Sign him for 1 million next season. After he all he didnt play for 1 full season. Hurt allegedly.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If he is willing to take a team friendly deal. I think he will!

Unlike some posters on here, I Like what I’ve been seeing from AJ. Does he need to make the tough catches, yes! But he would be a great #3 on this team. Higgins Boyd and AJ on a team friendly deal looks great for the future. Come on AJ, be a team player man!

I love they guy for what he has done in his career, but those dollars could be spent bringing Joe Thuney here.  It is time to think about the franchise, and not be sentimental with Green.  
Reply/Quote
What is seriously wrong with Cincy fans and teams that they cling onto, and want to keep players well past their useful life?

Why the hell would anyone shy away from walking from some of these players? THEY HAVE NEVER WON A DAMN THING HERE

Such a strange dichotomy, it's like you are all brain washed into thinking it's impossible to replace legacy, aging and declining players.

Here i the truth. If AJ Green was a part of a competent franchise in 2018/19, he would have been traded, or at the least never Franchised for 18M.

But here, we make all the wrong moves
Reply/Quote
If he takes a major pay cut, I'd love to see him back. He's a solid #2 or #3 receiver at this point and, if he is indeed still getting over injuries, he could return to that #1 skill level.

The risk there is great though. I'd be willing to sign him to a 2 year 12 million dollar deal though.

If he wants 10+ million per year, I'd have to pass. We need to address the Oline and Dline in HUGE ways this off season and that requires a lot of operating capital. It is almost a certainty that Dunlap will be gone, so that's an additional 11 million to work with. I suspect Geno may be gone as well, although his season could easily be chalked up to injuries and keep him to see if he improves in 2021, but if we cut him too that is 14 million more dollars. Green is worth 18 million this year, an obvious overspend, if we freed up 12 million of that by giving him a 6m AAV deal, that means we'd have as much as 37 million dollars to address these two lines. That is 2 to 3 high quality starters right there before we even get to the draft.

That would go a LONG way to fixing this team's weaknesses.
Reply/Quote
(10-25-2020, 10:10 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: If he is willing to take a team friendly deal. I think he will!

Unlike some posters on here, I Like what I’ve been seeing from AJ. Does he need to make the tough catches, yes! But he would be a great #3 on this team. Higgins Boyd and AJ on a team friendly deal looks great for the future. Come on AJ, be a team player man!

Depends on the price. Re-signing AJ could mean you see one of the younger good players walk.

What do you think is a fair price?

For me, it's $6-8 mill/year.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote