Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep Open Mind On New Coaches
I remember that nobody liked Reds hiring some young nobody named Sparky Anderson. Sparky Who ? Who the heck is Sparky Anderson ? You mean the Reds couldn't hire a big name coach. What in the heck is a Sparky Anderson ? and the fans went on and on and on that off season about what a stupid move that was by the Reds. I think it is safe to say the fans were wrong. My point is just because the fans don't know some of these coaches the Bengals added in the month of February, that doesn't mean they won't be good coaches. The fans and the media don't always know everything. When Paul Brown came here, most said the game had past him by including Frank, Howard and Dandy Don on Monday Night Football, but soon they were all for him. Nobody saw what Forrest Gregg or Sam Wyche would do here, or Lou Piniella for Reds. Again, Cincinnati brought in a guy the fans asked, " Sparky Who ? ". It shows that just because the fans don't know their names, that doesn't always mean a whole lot. So GO BENGALS. BEAT PITTSBURG. WHO DEY.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
That's just it...these guys do have track records. That's what some of us don't like.

Taylor was mediocre everywhere except the Rams...and it's hard to really say h was responsible for that. He was the assistant WR coach when Goff broke out. He was mediocre at U of Cincy. Mediocre with Miami.

I suppose he could be a better HC than OC...in fact, it's definately possible. But, he's not totally unknown.

But, your point is fair. You never know what you are going to get.
Reply/Quote
BB was a special teams coach, then a middling HC, then somewhere between top 5 most important coaches ever and GOAT.

Mike Zimmer was a middling D coordinator in Dallas before ever being considered good, much less elite.

The list can go on, but the point is that sometimes the best coaches come out of nowhere. At least with this coaching regime we can say, "so you're telling me there's a chance!" No one could do that before with a straight face in years past.
Reply/Quote
The real question is NOT whether he'll be good or not, but whether he will be Bengalized or not. :troll:
Reply/Quote
Hopefully our coaching staff gets it together sooner rather than later, because things could get grim if we flounder while Dalton and Green are on borrowed time and then have to reboot the roster by the time our coaches "get it." 3 losing seasons in a row, followed by a coaching reboot, followed by a roster rebuild could be a pretty grim stretch of football.

But that's worst case scenario. Hopefully we pull a 2011 and overachieve.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Two things made me question the hiring of Taylor, one, Turner and then the search for a DC, none of which indicates brilliance, but neither does it indicate stupidity. The real smell test will be how the team performs especially if they have a bit of success. We'll then get to see if they can get beyond the proverbial hump. For now they haven't even gotten beyond the upcoming draft. That may or may not tell us a lot.. 
I'm still open, but in no way am I ready to declare him the greatest Bengals coach of all time.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 12:35 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Hopefully our coaching staff gets it together sooner rather than later, because things could get grim if we flounder while Dalton and Green are on borrowed time and then have to reboot the roster by the time our coaches "get it."  3 losing seasons in a row, followed by a coaching reboot, followed by a roster rebuild could be a pretty grim stretch of football.

But that's worst case scenario.  Hopefully we pull a 2011 and overachieve.

I guess that depends on expectations. I'm hoping for anywhere from a 6-10 to a 9-7 season next year. However, we have a lot of talent that could easily push this to a 10-6 team if they hit the field coached up, fired up and less predictable. So anything beyond 9 wins would be overachieving IMO. But it's your expectations that matter.

Reply/Quote
The Steelers are a dumpster fire. That helps us.
Reply/Quote
To make an omelet you've got to break a few eggs. We are breaking the hell out of some eggs. Let's just hope we can stomach the omelet
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Steelers are a dumpster fire. That helps us.

Ida know, didn't Bengals fans credit getting rid of pain in the arse WRs as the dawn of our return to power?
Reply/Quote
I say we just wait and see what happens before we make any comments.
If you see something suspicious, say something suspicious.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 02:02 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Ida know, didn't Bengals fans credit getting rid of pain in the arse WRs as the dawn of our return to power?

Smith-Shuster will probably go for 1200 yards as a #1. And I'm sure they'll add a viable #2 guy.

They are well managed.

Still losing Bell and Brown is a HUGE blow.
Reply/Quote
Oh I'm in no way passing any judgement on anything the Bengals and ZT have done since the release from Marvin. How this thing is gonna turn out is uncertain for sure.

But now at least there's hope. That's enough for me.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 01:05 PM)HarleyDog Wrote: I guess that depends on expectations. I'm hoping for anywhere from a 6-10 to a 9-7 season next year. However, we have a lot of talent that could easily push this to a 10-6 team if they hit the field coached up, fired up and less predictable. So anything beyond 9 wins would be overachieving IMO. But it's your expectations that matter.

I like to be as optimistic as anybody, but when you stack up the talent against the gaping holes, it's kind of a push.

Our 30 year olds, who incidentally, are most of our best players, might not see the payoff.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I'm open and happy. Jim Turner would be considered a good get if he didnt make a stupid mistake. He did some dumb stuff I hear but that doesnt mean he cant coach an OL. I like Lou Anarumo too. His units are always solid and he plays a similar scheme as Zimmer and press coverage, etc. He is a great communicator and very well respected. What I saw from the NYC media was that they considered it a big loss. I think he was the lone bright spot on a struggling defense in NY.

Bill Cower was DC only for a year before he became a HC. Dabo is same thing, The dude was like a ST coach or something before he turned Clemson into a multiple Championship team. But they both have the right personality and a real plan to build a team and culture. Taylor so far has been carrying himself like he has a plan, and I'm fine with it. He chose not to hire all those DC's every thought we were missing out on. He seems to want to make a culture change here, and thats fine by me. I like the way he talks. It seems like we are getting a bunch coaches who are going to buy in and be on the same page, and deliver the same message from top to bottom. Thats what makes a good team, imo.
Reply/Quote
Our newest additions are also under 40 years old. This is going to be a very young staff.
Today I'm TEAM SEWELL. Tomorrow TEAM PITTS. Maybe TEAM CHASE. I can't decide, and glad I don't have to.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 11:43 PM)Shady Wrote: Our newest additions are also under 40 years old. This is going to be a very young staff.

I wonder if they plan to continue announcing every move the make before they make it.  I'm struggling to see the wisdom of this way of doing business.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:06 AM)McC Wrote: I wonder if they plan to continue announcing every move the make before they make it.  I'm struggling to see the wisdom of this way of doing business.

The announcements haven't come from the team 

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(02-27-2019, 12:18 AM)pally Wrote: The announcements haven't come from the team 

Of course they have.  There can be no other explanation.  Okay, let's put it this way, the "leaks" have to be coming from the team.  When did anything the Bengals have ever done been made public before they've done it?

Every candidate for every hire has shown up on Twitter.  And now this player auction.  Looks like Taylor's way of doing business.

Reply/Quote
(02-26-2019, 01:56 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: The Steelers are a dumpster fire. That helps us.

And they'll still go 10-6 or 11-5.
Reply/Quote