Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keep an Eye on Dabo Swinney
I think Dabo Swinney could really be exciting young coach either as Head Coach or OC. If the Bengals are going to conduct an exhausting search for the vacant head coach position, Swinney has to be on that list. Clemson has talent for sure and they seem to always be competitive under Swinney.

Now I know this doesn't mean his success would translate into success at the NFL level, but I would think it could be exciting. Swinney worked under Gene Stallings. He has been with Clemson for about 10 years so he may want a new challenge at the next level.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Dabo Swinney could really be exciting young coach either as Head Coach or OC.  If the Bengals are going to conduct an exhausting search for the vacant head coach position, Swinney has to be on that list.  Clemson has talent for sure and they seem to always be competitive under Swinney.  

Now I know this doesn't mean his success would translate into success at the NFL level, but I would think it could be exciting.  Swinney worked under Gene Stallings.  He has been with Clemson for about 10 years so he may want a new challenge at the next level.

I will go pick him up and bring him to Cincy myself.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:13 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: I think Dabo Swinney could really be exciting young coach either as Head Coach or OC.  If the Bengals are going to conduct an exhausting search for the vacant head coach position, Swinney has to be on that list.  Clemson has talent for sure and they seem to always be competitive under Swinney.  

Now I know this doesn't mean his success would translate into success at the NFL level, but I would think it could be exciting.  Swinney worked under Gene Stallings.  He has been with Clemson for about 10 years so he may want a new challenge at the next level.

I think he would be a great NFL HC
Free Agency ain't over until it is over. 

First 6 years BB - 41 wins and 54 losses with 1-1 playoff record with 2 teams Browns and Pats
Reply/Quote
I think if he would take the leap, it would only be as a HC.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
I don’t want a college coach that has no NFL experience. Many have tried and those who never had NFL experience have really struggled in the NFL.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:30 PM)Au165 Wrote: I don’t want a college coach that has no NFL experience. Many have tried and those who never had NFL experience have really struggled in the NFL.

But those all happened before the NFL turned into college football.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Why would Swinney leave a perennial winner in Clemson where he gets great recruits each year and is set at QB to come to a team with an owner considered cheap who hasn't won a playoff game in 26+ years?

If he came to the NFL, he'd go to a much better situation than ours.
Reply/Quote
Personally, I think that Swinney is completely comfortable, right where he is. I think he wants to unseat Nick Saban as the king of CFB coaches. Swinney may already be at his "destination" job.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
I think that Swinney may beat Alabama this year. He may be comfortable but sometimes coaches want more. I think he would be exciting to bring into the NFL, especially with the Bengals.
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote

Yes, another great candidate, exciting stuff. Might not want to leave what he is doing in Clemson though.

Wish we could do a good job in FA so we could draft one of those D-lineman he has.

I like the Zac Taylor thought as well. Refreshing.

Fabrezing it round here and i like it a lot. Smirk
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:32 PM)McC Wrote: But those all happened before the NFL turned into college football.

No Chip Kelly was definitely part of the NFL as a college scheme. The reality as it has been told time and time again is that recruiting wins in college. Your also coaching kids who make nothing and want to make the NFL, in the NFL you coach men who many make more than you. Commanding respect is a much harder task in the NFL especially when things go south.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:35 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Personally, I think that Swinney is completely comfortable, right where he is. I think he wants to unseat Nick Saban as the king of CFB coaches. Swinney may already be at his "destination" job.

I think he is waiting Nick out to one day return to Bama and be the prodigal son.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:56 PM)Au165 Wrote: I think he is waiting Nick out to one day return to Bama and be the prodigal son.

Saban is not going anywhere for a long while and if Swinney were to move on, it would not be a lateral move to another high caliber college program.  He will stay put at Clemson or move on to NFL. 

I also think Swinney has the "it" factor.  Not all coaches do.  
-Paul Brown

My album "Dragon"

Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 08:01 PM)psychdoctor Wrote: Saban is not going anywhere for a long while and if Swinney were to move on, it would not be a lateral move to another high caliber college program.  He will stay put at Clemson or move on to NFL. 

I also think Swinney has the "it" factor.  Not all coaches do.  

Saban is 67.

Na ma isn’t a lateral move, he’d make way more money plus it’s his alma mater.

College is a better gig than the NFL contrary to what a lot of people think.

As to the it factor. When you have top five recruiting classes every year, the “it” is a lot easier to have. Players and recruiting win in college and it’s been that way since the U.
Reply/Quote

I would be on board with that.  
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 07:55 PM)Au165 Wrote: No Chip Kelly was definitely part of the NFL as a college scheme. The reality as it has been told time and time again is that recruiting wins in college. Your also coaching kids who make nothing and want to make the NFL, in the NFL you coach men who many make more than you. Commanding respect is a much harder task in the NFL especially when things go south.

That was going to be my point. It's harder to command respect in the NFL.

Swinney can just keep recruiting Top 5 classes as long as he's at Clemson. Why leave that?
Reply/Quote
No effing way Swinney leaves Clemson to coach the Bengals. The Patriots, Steelers, Cowboys or Giants? Maybe.
Reply/Quote
(12-31-2018, 09:53 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: That was going to be my point. It's harder to command respect in the NFL.

Swinney can just keep recruiting Top 5 classes as long as he's at Clemson. Why leave that?

It basically comes down to whether he wants the challenge of winning a championship at the highest level or not.  The only other reason to leave would be a situation like Pete Carroll at USC, where the flies start buzzing around your dirty program and you bolt to save face and avoid an NCAA ban.  Dabo is young enough that if he bombs in the NFL, he can always score another top level college job like Sabin did.
Reply/Quote
Would love him but the only way he leaves Clemson is to take over his alma mater Bama when Saban retires
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote