Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keep in mind - 2023 and beyond
(02-25-2022, 09:49 AM)pally Wrote: There is an intangible with Bates that we have to remember…virtually every single one of his teammates has publically said they want him re signed. This is the first big negotiation of the so-called new era.  Jessie is a team captain and leader.  The vast majority of fans want him re signed.  What will it say about the team if they don’t get it done?  What message will it send to his teammates and potential free agents if the player consistently held up as someone who does things the right way doesn’t get his money?  The Bengals credibility is on the line.

Doing things the right way?  With all due respect, what does that does that mean?

Bates admitted he played like crap this season due to worrying about his contract. Is that right? 

He ranked #37 at his position with 1 INT, 3 Pass Breakups, gave up an 80% completion rate, a QBR over 120, lowest number of receptions but most yards... He did play great in the playoffs.  So what does he deserve?  15 game performance or 4 in the playoffs? 

I'm the biggest Mike Brown critic on this board but I do not blame him for tagging Bates. Put it together for the season and playoffs - that is what the highest paid players should be held to...

Byard #1 Safety in 2021 is at $14M, as is Budda Baker, & Mathieu - multiple pro bowls. I'd offer Bates $14M based on 2020 and the playoffs, he refuses, then tag.

From the past several decades watching this team one thing has always been true; players always want to stay together.

What else is true; these are pros that understand the biz, they play with different players every year and they are fine.

Another truth: Bates is a leader on defense, but so is Reader, Bell, Hilton, Wilson, Hubbard.

Last truth; Bates will be a Bengal next year regardless, it is so odd to me that fans are so worked up over this... 
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 05:56 PM)casear2727 Wrote: Byard #1 Safety in 2021 is at $14M  Who?? Say What

Last truth; Bates will be a Bengal next year regardless, it is so odd to me that fans are so worked up over this... 

Fans get worked up when All-Pro talent that the team drafted and developed are seen as able to simply be dismissed, by other fans of the same team.  
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 10:01 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Fans get worked up when All-Pro talent that the team drafted and developed are seen as able to simply be dismissed, by other fans of the same team.  

You dont know who Kevin Byard is?  If fans dont know the market why even enter the debate?

And Im not dismissing Bates, my opinion is to pay the guy $14M and pray he goes back to 2020 form, continue that playoff level play.

My question is; why are fans getting so worked up even though the guy is coming back next year, regardless of contract or tag?

When did Bates become freaking Ed Reed?  His stats were very very average this year.  Fans are clamoring to spend money on great olinemen but also pushing for Top 3 pay to a Safety who ranked #37 at his position... 

I like Bates, but paying him Top 3 pay based on his last 4 games might not be the best idea. But what if we do? Pay him $16-17M and we continue to get #37 ranked play...?  High dollars to one player are prevented from adding to another spot.

Only Bengal fans shout loudly and fight for the Free Safety to be the highest paid defender and WR3 to be the highest paid offensive player.  We really know the formula for a Championship roster.  (Bellichek reads our board and laughs himself to sleep)
Reply/Quote
(02-24-2022, 07:30 PM)Brownshoe Wrote: Isn't the cap going to go up an insane amount the next couple of years? I thought I heard something about it going up almost 50%. Hopefully that will help us keep most of our players

Cap goes up, salaries go up. Higher cap doesn't equal more players. It means players just get more money.
Reply/Quote
(02-25-2022, 09:49 AM)pally Wrote: There is an intangible with Bates that we have to remember…virtually every single one of his teammates has publically said they want him re signed. This is the first big negotiation of the so-called new era. Jessie is a team captain and leader. The vast majority of fans want him re signed. What will it say about the team if they don’t get it done? What message will it send to his teammates and potential free agents if the player consistently held up as someone who does things the right way doesn’t get his money? The Bengals credibility is on the line.

I would say their credibility will be more judged by how and if they fix this o line. Bates is great. But he can’t be priority 1. It’s the o line, and unfortunately we need 3-4 new ol.
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2022, 10:34 AM)Ell Prez Wrote: Cap goes up, salaries go up. Higher cap doesn't equal more players. It means players just get more money.

Well if we sign players to long term deals now then they'll have really good value in the future, opening up more options.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote