Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keeping Jonah, Cutting Mixon This Year Mock
Since Jonah hasn't been traded yet, I expect he'll be the starting RT this year. They can't cut him because the option is guaranteed, and they also likely won't bench him because he'll be making $12.6 mill.
So by saying that, I think OT will be set this year between Brown, Jonah, Carman, and Ford while Collins recovers. Once Collins recovers, they'll need to figure out whether to keep Collins and where to put him if they do keep him.
As such, I can see them not drafting an OT this year.

Below is a mock with keeping Williams this year, but also move on from Mixon after the draft.

1) Deonte Banks, CB Maryland (6'2", 205 lb) - Good sized CB who has the speed and fluidity to stick with receivers. I love how he uses his hands to get PBUs. Give Banks the CTB treatment where he is a depth guy as a rookie, gets some snaps still, and potentially get a starting spot in 2024, as both Awuzie and Jones are set to hit FA after this season.

2) Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA (6'0", 214 lb) - Well-rounded RB who has good size, solid speed, experience as a receiver, and a willing blocker. Definitely a guy who can be a 3-down back in the league. With Charbonnet added, they can choose to have him act as RB2 behind Mixon for this year, or they can cut Mixon, have Charbonnet start immediately, and get another RB on Day 3 to act as a backup in the Perine mold (see below).

3) Keeanu Benton, NT Wisconsin (6'4", 309 lb) - DJ Reader is playing in the last year of his contract and he might be too expensive for the Bengals to retain after likely extending Burrow, Chase, and possibly Higgins. And while I also like Tupou as a backup NT, he's about to turn 29 and also in the last year of his contract. Bengals need a new potential long-term guy who can take over after Reader departs. Enter Keeanu Benton, a big DT who is a good run stuffer. I like his ability to get push at the LOS. He also shows some penetration skills and has decent agility for a NT-type.

4) Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan (6'5", 251 lb) - While Schoonmaker isn't in the same realm as the likes of Mayer and LaPorta, he is very well-rounded, comes from a Harbaugh team, and had put up some solid production this past year in a more rushing-oriented offense. He's also very athletic, showing he probably could be even better as a pass catcher if given more opportunity. He doesn't look like a big, clunky TE when he goes out for passes. With the Bengals snagging Irv Smith for a 1-year rental, it could allow Schoonmaker a year to develop as TE2 before taking over down the road.

5) Hunter Luepke, RB/FB NDSU (6'1", 235 lb) - Strong blocker and good pass catcher out of the backfield. He can also run some. I think he can fill that Perine role quite well. He actually put up a 4.56 at his Pro Day, which is pretty good given he's 235 lb. By comparison, Perine ran 4.65 at about the same weight, so Luepke is faster and more agile than Perine but able to be just as physical and durable. Luepke is also experienced as a lead blocker, which can add another wrinkle to the offense.

6) Clayton Tune, QB Houston (6'3", 220 lb) - Accurate QB in the short and intermediate routes but doesn't have quite the arm strength to be as accurate deep. He also has good mobility and athleticism. He has some similarities to Burrow's playstyle, I feel. I like Tune as a backup QB to compete with Jake Browning.

7) Nikko Remigio, WR/RS Fresno St (5'9", 183 lb) - Hard to predict WRs who could be here, but especially assuming Boyd is probably gone after this year, I think a backup slot with heavy PR/KR ability is someone worth taking with the late 7th round pick. He has good speed and vision. Competition for Trent Taylor.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2023, 04:27 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Since Jonah hasn't been traded yet, I expect he'll be the starting RT this year. They can't cut him because the option is guaranteed, and they also likely won't bench him because he'll be making $12.6 mill.
So by saying that, I think OT will be set this year between Brown, Jonah, Carman, and Ford while Collins recovers. Once Collins recovers, they'll need to figure out whether to keep Collins and where to put him if they do keep him.
As such, I can see them not drafting an OT this year.

Below is a mock with keeping Williams this year, but also move on from Mixon after the draft.

1) Deonte Banks, CB Maryland (6'2", 205 lb) - Good sized CB who has the speed and fluidity to stick with receivers. I love how he uses his hands to get PBUs. Give Banks the CTB treatment where he is a depth guy as a rookie, gets some snaps still, and potentially get a starting spot in 2024, as both Awuzie and Jones are set to hit FA after this season.

2) Zach Charbonnet, RB UCLA (6'0", 214 lb) - Well-rounded RB who has good size, solid speed, experience as a receiver, and a willing blocker. Definitely a guy who can be a 3-down back in the league. With Charbonnet added, they can choose to have him act as RB2 behind Mixon for this year, or they can cut Mixon, have Charbonnet start immediately, and get another RB on Day 3 to act as a backup in the Perine mold (see below).

3) Keeanu Benton, NT Wisconsin (6'4", 309 lb) - DJ Reader is playing in the last year of his contract and he might be too expensive for the Bengals to retain after likely extending Burrow, Chase, and possibly Higgins. And while I also like Tupou as a backup NT, he's about to turn 29 and also in the last year of his contract. Bengals need a new potential long-term guy who can take over after Reader departs. Enter Keeanu Benton, a big DT who is a good run stuffer. I like his ability to get push at the LOS. He also shows some penetration skills and has decent agility for a NT-type.

4) Luke Schoonmaker, TE Michigan (6'5", 251 lb) - While Schoonmaker isn't in the same realm as the likes of Mayer and LaPorta, he is very well-rounded, comes from a Harbaugh team, and had put up some solid production this past year in a more rushing-oriented offense. He's also very athletic, showing he probably could be even better as a pass catcher if given more opportunity. He doesn't look like a big, clunky TE when he goes out for passes. With the Bengals snagging Irv Smith for a 1-year rental, it could allow Schoonmaker a year to develop as TE2 before taking over down the road.

5) Hunter Luepke, RB/FB NDSU (6'1", 235 lb) - Strong blocker and good pass catcher out of the backfield. He can also run some. I think he can fill that Perine role quite well. He actually put up a 4.56 at his Pro Day, which is pretty good given he's 235 lb. By comparison, Perine ran 4.65 at about the same weight, so Luepke is faster and more agile than Perine but able to be just as physical and durable. Luepke is also experienced as a lead blocker, which can add another wrinkle to the offense.

6) Clayton Tune, QB Houston (6'3", 220 lb) - Accurate QB in the short and intermediate routes but doesn't have quite the arm strength to be as accurate deep. He also has good mobility and athleticism. He has some similarities to Burrow's playstyle, I feel. I like Tune as a backup QB to compete with Jake Browning.

7) Nikko Remigio, WR/RS Fresno St (5'9", 183 lb) - Hard to predict WRs who could be here, but especially assuming Boyd is probably gone after this year, I think a backup slot with heavy PR/KR ability is someone worth taking with the late 7th round pick. He has good speed and vision. Competition for Trent Taylor.

Nice Mock Ocho. Just solid all the way around. NT is something we should be looking at early if we do let DJ go after this season. Like I 
have said, I really like Tufele even more than Tupou so I like him to be here. Getting Benton would probably help big time. Will be sad to 
see DJ go though, hope we win a Lombardi with him first, same with Tee and Boyd if they all leave.

I really like Charbonnet, his grades don't seem great in pass pro, but from what I saw of him he is good at it and in all phases. Good one
in Luepke, sounds like the perfect Perine replacement.

Tune sounds about right, although I think we will sign a backup QB and I think a Punter like Turk there would be of more value, I don't
like what I have seen of Chrisman as a Punter so far. First time I have heard of Nikko Remigio, good stuff, need a Punt Returner who can
do something besides just fair catch even if I like Trent Taylor.
Reply/Quote
I like the idea of the crowd yelling ‘schooooon’
Reply/Quote
The only real issue I have is completely ignoring the offensive line. I do not believe that the Bengals can feel that there is no room for improvement with the O line. Even if Jonah plays RT in '23 that is a one year rental. Outside of Carman the OT depth is suspect at best. Collins when healthy did not live up to his billing and staying healthy has been a story in itself since he has been in the league. I had as high of hopes as everyone else with him at RT but it just did not pan out.

The interior line is not in much better shape with Scharping being your best depth on the interior of the line. Hill and Brown may be decent depth if healthy but again that has not been seen either.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 09:10 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The only real issue I have is completely ignoring the offensive line. I do not believe that the Bengals can feel that there is no room for improvement with the O line. Even if Jonah plays RT in '23 that is a one year rental. Outside of Carman the OT depth is suspect at best. Collins when healthy did not live up to his billing and staying healthy has been a story in itself since he has been in the league. I had as high of hopes as everyone else with him at RT but it just did not pan out.

The interior line is not in much better shape with Scharping being your best depth on the interior of the line. Hill and Brown may be decent depth if healthy but again that has not been seen either.

Completely agree. How do we even know if Williams can play RT? We know his willingness isn't into it.
Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 09:10 AM)OSUfan Wrote: The only real issue I have is completely ignoring the offensive line. I do not believe that the Bengals can feel that there is no room for improvement with the O line. Even if Jonah plays RT in '23 that is a one year rental. Outside of Carman the OT depth is suspect at best. Collins when healthy did not live up to his billing and staying healthy has been a story in itself since he has been in the league. I had as high of hopes as everyone else with him at RT but it just did not pan out.

(04-09-2023, 12:49 PM)sandwedge Wrote: Completely agree. How do we even know if Williams can play RT? We know his willingness isn't into it.

One has to assume that the staff likes Cody Ford enough to get him as early in FA as they did, so I expect he'll make the roster.
Jonah also makes the roster if he's not traded.
I expect the OTs to be Brown, Jonah, Carman, and Ford to start the season.
The IOL is where I could see them potentially looking to add someone on draft day if they keep Jonah, depending on what they think of Scharping.
Part of me thinks they like Scharping enough because they could have gone out and got Dalton Risner for OG if they wanted. He's still available.
Scharping may have s**t the bed when he got thrown in last year, but he was an ok starter for the Texans when he was there. Perhaps last year was more the outlier than the norm.
I don't see a big reason right now that the team would want/need to bother upgrading Trey Hill.

Remember too that Collins played OG his first two seasons in the league, so he could play OG if needed once he's healthy.
Once Collins is back, that could be when Scharping gets let go.
OT - Brown, Jonah, Carman, Ford
OG - Cappa, Volson, Scharping (Collins)
OC - Karras, Hill
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-08-2023, 03:08 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Nice Mock Ocho. Just solid all the way around. NT is something we should be looking at early if we do let DJ go after this season. Like I 
have said, I really like Tufele even more than Tupou so I like him to be here. Getting Benton would probably help big time. Will be sad to 
see DJ go though, hope we win a Lombardi with him first, same with Tee and Boyd if they all leave.

I really like Charbonnet, his grades don't seem great in pass pro, but from what I saw of him he is good at it and in all phases. Good one
in Luepke, sounds like the perfect Perine replacement.

Tune sounds about right, although I think we will sign a backup QB and I think a Punter like Turk there would be of more value, I don't
like what I have seen of Chrisman as a Punter so far. First time I have heard of Nikko Remigio, good stuff, need a Punt Returner who can
do something besides just fair catch even if I like Trent Taylor.

My view on punter is UDFA punters come in all the time and do ok. No need to always have to draft one.
It's also possible Remigio goes undrafted, so you could take a punter in 7th and get Remigio as UDFA.
Honestly, late 7th rounder very rarely matters anyway. It's basically the equivalent of an UDFA.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
Nice work. If Banks is there he would be a great pick. This year is going to be interesting. Almost every mock I do I take someone else from a different position. And I like most of them.

Love the Charbonnet pick as well. No one knows how any of these guys can really pass block at this point. But I think Zack will be able to do it watching everything else he can do.

Almost feels like we need to grab a TE in round 3 but it is deeper this year. I like some other guys better than the Michigan kid but would not hate it.

I have a hard time taking a QB. Seems like there are always a lot of guys that are UFA we could just grab. I would rather grab another TE/CB there. But also would not hate it. Tired of Allen and don't want to pay anyone with Burrow/Tee looming.

Overall great work and I would like this.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 02:43 AM)CloeHokie Wrote: Nice work. If Banks is there he would be a great pick. This year is going to be interesting. Almost every mock I do I take someone else from a different position. And I like most of them.

Love the Charbonnet pick as well.  No one knows how any of these guys can really pass block at this point.  But I think Zack will be able to do it watching everything else he can do.

Almost feels like we need to grab a TE in round 3 but it is deeper this year. I like some other guys better than the Michigan kid but would not hate it.

I have a hard time taking a QB. Seems like there are always a lot of guys that are UFA we could just grab. I would rather grab another TE/CB there. But also would not hate it. Tired of Allen and don't want to pay anyone with Burrow/Tee looming.

Overall great work and I would like this.

I agree, but I didn't really have a TE I liked in the Rd 3 range.
For me, it's Mayer or Washington in Rd 1 or LaPorta or Kraft in Rd 2. I don't really have a TE projected in Rd 3 that I care for.

As for taking a QB vs another position in Rd 6...it all comes down to whether you like Jake Browning. Personally, I'm just meh on him, so I think some potential competition could be good and I like Tune. And I don't think Bengals are super sold on Browning either since they brought in Siemian for a visit.
TE I'm not sure they get another since they added Asiasi last year. Asiasi is entering the final year of his contract, but he was a 3rd round pick for a reason. He could likely be better than a 6th rounder from this year. Had Bengals not picked up Irv Smith, I definitely would have taken a TE in Rds 5-7 to be TE2/3.
CB, same situation. I think Bengals like Allan George and Jalen Davis enough to have them compete for that last CB spot. I don't necessarily think another CB is needed to compete for that spot. I'd almost rather go with another safety (e.g. Daniel Scott) to compete for backup FS/SS spot rather than a CB to compete for CB6.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 09:34 AM)ochocincos Wrote: I agree, but I didn't really have a TE I liked in the Rd 3 range.
For me, it's Mayer or Washington in Rd 1 or LaPorta or Kraft in Rd 2. I don't really have a TE projected in Rd 3 that I care for.

As for taking a QB vs another position in Rd 6...it all comes down to whether you like Jake Browning. Personally, I'm just meh on him, so I think some potential competition could be good and I like Tune. And I don't think Bengals are super sold on Browning either since they brought in Siemian for a visit.
TE I'm not sure they get another since they added Asiasi last year. Asiasi is entering the final year of his contract, but he was a 3rd round pick for a reason. He could likely be better than a 6th rounder from this year. Had Bengals not picked up Irv Smith, I definitely would have taken a TE in Rds 5-7 to be TE2/3.
CB, same situation. I think Bengals like Allan George and Jalen Davis enough to have them compete for that last CB spot. I don't necessarily think another CB is needed to compete for that spot. I'd almost rather go with another safety (e.g. Daniel Scott) to compete for backup FS/SS spot rather than a CB to compete for CB6.

I hear Ya. 

I am interested in your thoughts on DE. Everyone seemingly has us taking one early. I don't see it.

Who are we going to cut? I think we like Cam Sample/Gunter - Trey/Sam/Ossai are not going anywhere. We just signed Basham. I do not think we carry 7 DEs. Or would we? So cut Basham even though we just signed him? Cut Gunter? 

I always like your thoughts so curious what you think about this
Reply/Quote
(04-10-2023, 12:23 PM)ochocincos Wrote: My view on punter is UDFA punters come in all the time and do ok. No need to always have to draft one.
It's also possible Remigio goes undrafted, so you could take a punter in 7th and get Remigio as UDFA.
Honestly, late 7th rounder very rarely matters anyway. It's basically the equivalent of an UDFA.

True enough. Fair view for sure.
Reply/Quote
(04-11-2023, 07:41 PM)CloeHokie Wrote: I hear Ya. 

I am interested in your thoughts on DE. Everyone seemingly has us taking one early. I don't see it.

Who are we going to cut? I think we like Cam Sample/Gunter - Trey/Sam/Ossai are not going anywhere. We just signed Basham. I do not think we carry 7 DEs. Or would we? So cut Basham even though we just signed him? Cut Gunter? 

I always like your thoughts so curious what you think about this

I think DE is likely set after adding Basham.
Like you, I think 4 are locks - Hendrickson, Hubbard, Ossai, Sample
I think Basham battles with Gunter for the last spot.

DT I think is more potentially up in the air.
Hill, Reader, Carter are locks.
I can see the Bengals drafting a DT (they still seem interested to add one) to knock out Tupou and/or Tufele.
I could honestly see DT not added in draft too though and roll with Tupou and/or Tufele for the last spot(s).
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-09-2023, 12:45 AM)Bengalstripes9 Wrote: I like the idea of the crowd yelling ‘schooooon’
My fear, is not RT it is center, what do we have for depth, I like Brown, Williams,Karras, Cappa, Carman, with Washington on either side blasting open holes getting that third and one. knowing Collins will be ready mid season for depth-replacement and Ford getting a fresh opportunity as well as Volsen on the ready seat excites me-but center concerns me as the one weak spot teams would exploit if injury happens.
Reply/Quote
(04-17-2023, 01:50 PM)mrredneck Wrote: My fear, is not RT it is center, what do we have for depth, I like Brown, Williams,Karras, Cappa, Carman, with Washington on either side blasting open holes getting that third and one. knowing Collins will be ready mid season for depth-replacement and Ford getting a fresh opportunity as well as Volsen on the ready seat excites me-but center concerns me as the one weak spot teams would exploit if injury happens.

There's been no indication that they plan to replace Trey Hill as backup C.
He was a Pollack draft selection, so I assume he still wants to keep him around.
He's been in Pollack's offensive scheme for two years now learning.
Plus, they have former UDFA Ben Brown for C competition.

I'll never say never, but I can't imagine backup C is much of a priority over RT or RG depth.
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote