Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences
(09-09-2023, 12:50 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Why would Higgins or Boyd take any kind of discount when Burrow went after everything he could get?  Higgins isnt going to sign a contract for 18-20 million so Burrow can have his 55 million, highest payed player in the NFL contract.  Burrow set the tone.  Everyone of these guys will seek the max they can get just like Burrow.  They arent staying together.  Something has to give.  The Bengals cant fit them all under the cap. It might have worked if all of them were willing to give up a little but that opportunity is gone with the Burrow max contract.

Where did he suggest either should?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 12:54 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Where did he suggest either should?

He didnt.  I am agreeing and pointing out why neither would be interested in signing for a little less.  And really why would they sign for less when Burrow took everything he could?  Would it make sense to you for Tee to take any kind of discount when Burrow didnt?  No Tee will go after everything he can get just like Burrow.  Despite what these guys may say and no matter how much they talk about keeping the team together, when all is said and done, its all about money.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 12:24 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Do they though? 3/5 of their starting OL were brought in as UFA’s. They’ve hit on a couple that you mentioned (which is better than us) but I wouldn’t exactly put them up there with a team like the Eagles as far as building a great OL through the draft.

I do not disagree.  I may never get over the fact that we could have had their middle linemen.  We had the chance to take Creed & Smith, and sign Thuney, what an offseason.... 

Reply/Quote
I'm hoping after this season's first Super Bowl victory we Tag Tee and trade him for a first-round draft pick to replace him and then get a rookie deal freeing up more money for Chase and strengthening up that offensive line even more.

I may be completely wrong, but I don't see Tee getting re-signed with his agent negotiating. We haven't worked well with him at all and with a baller like Tee that guy is going to shoot for the moon which will be out of our price range.
Reply/Quote
(09-08-2023, 08:33 PM)TheFan Wrote: You'd be happy with a 6th round pick who hasn't even caught a ball in an NFL game as your #2 weapon? 

3 years from now if he kicks on to his potential? Everyday of the week. 
Or as I suggested someone else stepping up. Sorry if you were confused when I named a specific player.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 01:02 AM)007BengalsFan Wrote: He didnt.  I am agreeing and pointing out why neither would be interested in signing for a little less.  And really why would they sign for less when Burrow took everything he could?  Would it make sense to you for Tee to take any kind of discount when Burrow didnt?  No Tee will go after everything he can get just like Burrow.  Despite what these guys may say and no matter how much they talk about keeping the team together, when all is said and done, its all about money.

Yeah I do think the players want to play for a championship narrative is exaggerated by fans. Sure a player in they're last couple years may let that be a factor or a wr might take a 1 year deal to play with a good QB and showcase they're talent. But for the most part they want what the market says they should get. But I do think it's about more than the individual player. All the QBs took a little higher than the last making it more lucrative for the next guy. 

I will say it became obvious Burrow was gonna be the highest paid player the market really just set it up that way. I think if it was really all about the money he could've been asking for more and let it drag into next year which would've give the Bengals less years to spread the cap hit. We've seen players leave for not a lot more money in the past and I think the WR market is really high right now and Tee was probably always going to be getting too much for the Bengals to match.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 06:59 AM)wanga Wrote: 3 years from now if he kicks on to his potential? Everyday of the week. 
Or as I suggested someone else stepping up. Sorry if you were confused when I named a specific player.

People are so quick to say just draft a new RB when the deal is up. I like Tee a lot and if I could choose and money wasn't an issue I'd keep him. But we can draft a #2 wide receiver in the 2nd round most years. 
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 01:19 AM)casear2727 Wrote: I do not disagree.  I may never get over the fact that we could have had their middle linemen.  We had the chance to take Creed & Smith, and sign Thuney, what an offseason.... 

Taking Carman over Creed oh my. But incorrectly I think they thought center wasn’t their biggest need. Smith had blood cot issues that pushed him down to 6 in the first place. It’s pretty simple that our drafting of OL has been less than mediocre. I sure hope it’s finally settled.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
Such a shame they’re paying Mixon all that money. They could use that extra cash to sign a more valuable player like Tee

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:37 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Such a shame they’re paying Mixon all that money. They could use that extra cash to sign a more valuable player like Tee

Mixon isn’t what is holding up Tee.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:38 AM)Bengalbug Wrote: Mixon isn’t what is holding up Tee.

Ok but Mixon’s contract is still too big for what he brings to the team.

Getting rid of his contract would be ideal

It's because you are of such profound wisdom, Frank Booth. - SunsetBengal
Reply/Quote
Tee wants to be the #1 receiver on a team. I don’t think it’s about money entirely. That’s okay but most teams that are willing to pay big money are trying to help an average QB. In most cases and they aren’t SB level teams. Not always but primarily. Free Agency reminds me of divorce. Tee ( if he leaves) better hope the reason is mostly about money and being recognized as a top receiver out of Chase’s shadow. Because he’s likely going to give up playing with a QB like Joe, a team and organization culture like here, and a SB level team. People make job decisions all the time but the one’s that regret it the most are almost always too focused on the money.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 09:39 AM)Frank Booth Wrote: Ok but Mixon’s contract is still too big for what he brings to the team.

Getting rid of his contract would be ideal

Mixon won’t be on the team when they really need his money.

Reply/Quote
It was always highly unlikely that Tee remained here after his rookie deal. The team will make a reasonable effort, but if he wants to get every last dollar he can, then there's probably not much room to negotiate.

It's unfortunate, but it's a good problem to have. Not many team manage to draft two legit number 1 receivers in the span of 2 years.

The good news is, the team is set up as well as can be expected to absorb the loss. They drafted two young receivers this season. The likelihood of either one being Tee Higgins is just about zero, but they probably don't have to be to fill the void sufficiently. There's also another opportunity in the upcoming draft, and the team's record evaluating wr talent is as good as it gets.

Boyd may look to be on the way out, but I suspect they could get him to remain here for a reasonable-ish deal. He seems like that type of player. You never know.

Also, if a deal con's be reached, a tag scenario will materialize, which is when things potentially get less amicable. If that happens next summer, then the tag and trade option may be a thing, and Tee would bring back even more resources to mitigate the loss.

Finally, we have a top 3 qb in the league. We need to get used to trusting him to win games without two top ten guys. He's done it through injuries to both Tee and Ja'marr, so there's no reason to think he can't. There's a reason he makes all of that money.

To be clear, I would love to see Tee be a Bengal for life. It's a rough situation for him if he truly wants to stay, because he's become the odd man out by a sort of default. It's certainly not due to his lack of production or value or attitude. It's due to being on the same team as Chase and Burrow and being due big money around the same time. I expect no player to give away money out of loyalty. He needs to ensure the best future for himself and his family.

You never know, maybe there's a scenario where Tee's 26 mil looks more amenable to the team than Ja'marr's potential 30 mil per year. It's not the most logical thing, but it's not something I see people talking about.
Reply/Quote
Do you all look at other teams that win? How many have a qb making over $50 million and 2 wrs making 25+ million?

Mahommes took a team friendly deal and they couldn't afford Hill.

Brady also took team friendly deals and they usually only had 1 dominant wr.
Reply/Quote
If we could get a hit on drafting O-line, that would be very helpful. Burrow can win without having the best WR corps in the NFL, although, it is a pretty cool thing to have. With time to throw, he just puts the ball where it needs to be. Mae a good WR great.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
The NFL 2023 salary cap will be a record $224.8 million.

This marks an increase of $16.6 million from the 2022 salary cap, which was $208.2 million.

I mean, this is one very good player's salary amount in just one year.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 10:06 AM)samhain Wrote: You never know, maybe there's a scenario where Tee's 26 mil looks more amenable to the team than Ja'marr's potential 30 mil per year. It's not the most logical thing, but it's not something I see people talking about.

Because it’s never going to happen. It’s a foregone conclusion that Chase will be extended. You don’t let a top 5 pick who instantly became one of the very best players in the league at his position walk after their rookie contract. It would not only be illogical, it would be disastrous. Those types of picks are supposed to be franchise changing. And it was.

Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 10:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because it’s never going to happen. It’s a foregone conclusion that Chase will be extended. You don’t let a top 5 pick who instantly became one of the very best players in the league at his position walk after their rookie contract. It would not only be illogical, it would be disastrous. Those types of picks are supposed to be franchise changing. And it was.

And Joe lobbied for the pick, which has worked out.  Those two kind of go together since college.
Reply/Quote
(09-09-2023, 10:51 AM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: Because it’s never going to happen. It’s a foregone conclusion that Chase will be extended. You don’t let a top 5 pick who instantly became one of the very best players in the league at his position walk after their rookie contract. It would not only be illogical, it would be disastrous. Those types of picks are supposed to be franchise changing. And it was.

And Chase has a different agent and mindset IMO

Reply/Quote