Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Keeping Tee Will Have Some Consequences
(03-15-2023, 09:08 PM)NUGDUKWE Wrote: Joe Goodberry for one said Volson was okay and if your good with okay than thats fine. I also believe theyre were others but I can't name them specifically.
I'm not suggesting spending every draft pick on the line I'm only anticipating them using one pick i was suggesting getting a guard in FA and a 1st round 
Tackle or a Tackle in FA and a guard in the draft at some point. I think Cappa blanked Chris Jones the first go rd and he was probably our best lineman before
his injury. But we need depth so we should be trying to pickup a FA for the line even if its just to increase the overall talent of the oline room.

I’ve had discussions with Goodberry and an AFC OC ( not the Bengals) and Volson ( for a rookie played well and improved) . Improved is the key word. He’s not a finished product. I’m wanting to swap picks with Detroit at #18 and nail an immediate starter at RT or TE. Give up our second round pick. Now of course it depends if it looks like there’s not been a big run on either position then don’t do it. But I’d have Detroit be keyed into that’s a possibility and get their OK. Then pull the trigger if at 18 there’s a superstar. But they are going to have to get some free agents. And… they can’t be fillers. I agree but it’s hard to know about the draft yet.
Romo “ so impressed with Zac ...1 of the best in the NFL… they are just fundamentally sound. Taylor the best winning % in the Playoffs of current coaches. Joe Burrow” Zac is the best head coach in the NFL & that gives me a lot of confidence." Taylor led the Bengals to their first playoff win since 1990, ending the longest active drought in the four major North American sports, en and appeared in Super Bowl LVI, the first since 1988.

Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:18 PM)Soonerpeace Wrote: I’ve had discussions with Goodberry and an AFC OC ( not the Bengals) and Volson ( for a rookie played well and improved) . Improved is the key word. He’s not a finished product. I’m wanting to swap picks with Detroit at #18 and nail an immediate starter at RT or TE. Give up our second round pick. Now of course it depends if it looks like there’s not been a big run on either position then don’t do it. But I’d have Detroit be keyed into that’s a possibility and get their OK. Then pull the trigger if at 18 there’s a superstar. But they are going to have to get some free agents. And… they can’t be fillers. I agree but it’s hard to know about the draft yet.

I hate giving up picks. But it is gonna be tense waiting for our pick and hoping the right players fall if we're keyed on a RT. I like Volson and I would be a little torn if we brought in a vet G in FA to replace him because he did what he was asked this year and did it probably as well as we could've hoped. We just need to increase our depth but we have limited picks and our needs have been growing thus far in FA.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 07:03 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: No, this is Tee's final year and Chase has 2 seasons left on his contract with a possible 3rd if the Bengals exercise the 5th year option that is available for 1st round draft picks.  If Tee is not extended this year he is a free agent after the season and we could lose him with nothing to show for it.   That is why people are saying trade him if we cant get an extension so at least you can draft his replacement.  You cant lose Tee and get nothing for him..

As for people saying "use the tag on Tee next year" its not going to happen.  The tag is the average of the top 5 paid WRs.  Do you see the Bengals or any team paying Tee the same kind of money as Davante Adams, Tyreek Hill, DeAndre Hopkins, Cooper Kupp or A.J. Brown?   You're going to pay Tee top 5 money?   I think he is a very good WR but he is not top 5 and I dont see anybody paying him like a top 5.  

I’m counting tag years so yes I think a team would pay Higgins top 5 money. Teams are desperate and these contracts for wideouts are still on the rise. 

Higgins shined in the post season and that’s where legacies are made. He’ll be paid. And the Bengals will use the tag before letting him or Chase walk. So that’s 4 years with Chase no matter what as of now too.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Sign Tee to three years. That is when you have Chase to extend or 5th year option. Figure it out then.
Reply/Quote
I'm going to withhold final judgement. The picture being painted seems odd. Not the way I might do it, but the artist is a good one. It needs some finishing touches, no doubt. Concerning the final roster, perhaps it will all make sense after the draft.
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:45 PM)spazz70 Wrote: Sign Tee to three years.  That is when you have Chase to extend or 5th year option.   Figure it out then.

You have the 5th year option to pick up and Chase to extend after the '23 and before the '24 season. That's 1 year, not 3.

If you have a top-5 player at a position and you don't extend them after their 3rd year when they become eligible, good luck repairing that relationship. That's just how the NFL works these days. You're just asking for a contract dispute then.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:10 PM)Doin the Shuffle Wrote: I'm going to withhold final judgement.  The picture being painted seems odd.  Not the way I might do it, but the artist is a good one.  It needs some finishing touches, no doubt.  Concerning the final roster, perhaps it will all make sense after the draft.

Generally drafted players are special teamers. May get 1 starter and another who plays situationally.
Reply/Quote
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 10:58 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote:

Sure, I understand, but the Bengals franchise value went from an estimated $2b in 2020, to $2.275b in 2021, to $3b in 2022. There's a 11yr/$113b media deal that kicks in starting this year, up from the $5.9b/yr deal they were on previously. That's an extra $137m/yr per team from that alone. Not counting gambling, and everything else that's starting to pour in on top of rising local revenue because of increased success.

If the answer is you're too poor to operate your NFL franchise, then you should sell your NFL franchise and go home, comforting yourself with the $4b you get from selling the team. If the Bengals are paralyzed from continuing to try to improve (or at the very least not get worse) because of extensions, then their window is closed.

EDIT: There we go, a signing. Don't need to sell off the team yet. Lol

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(03-15-2023, 09:38 PM)jj22 Wrote: I’m counting tag years so yes I think a team would pay Higgins top 5 money...

Why would you count tag years when you could simply pay Higgins top 5 money to begin with?  That makes no sense.   Nobody considers Tee on par with Adams, Hill, Kupp, etc.. but you give him a top 5 contract he would sign it in a heartbeat.  If you want to pay him like a top 5, Im sure he would take it, no tag required.
Reply/Quote
Having Tee Higgins as your 1a WR is luxury
That 80% of teams in the NFL doesn't have.
If Tee is or allowed to walk in FA ,traded then defenses will just double Chase the whole game.
Some people act like this offense will be
Business as usual if Tee is no longer a Bengal.
Replacing him in the draft is not a 100% guarantee
Cause if the Bengals are drafting between 27 to 30ish
Each year then you hoping to find his replacement at
The 60th pick and on down. Yeah good luck with that
Tee was a 1st RD talent that fell to them at 33 cause the
Packers took Jordan Love.
I've seen too many years where our WR room was
AJ Green and a bunch of washed up WRs lined up
On the other side.
Keeping Tee keeps your offense explosive and
A real dilemma for defenses
Reply/Quote
Here’s what I don’t understand….

Why is everyone so hell bent on parting with Higgins? He’s part of the best WR group in the league. And, the whole point of playing the game is to score more than the opponent. Burrow, Chase, Higgins is lethal when it comes to that.

As has been shown time and time again, no lead by the opponents are safe with these guys playing.

Personally? I want to see the Bengals throw the ball all over the field and score on a whim with a short clock. Let those other teams play for 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Will they be expensive? Sure. The best of anything is always more expensive.

But, the cap will rise every year, too.

Any player, regardless of who it is, on either side of the ball, can play themselves out of a contract (see Mixon). But, trading your best players for some sort of draft picks, which may or may not pan out? Not interested. Not sure why anyone else would be.

Burrow, Chase and Higgins are generational type players. You don’t find them all that often. When you do, you’ve hit the jackpot. You don’t trade them away. As long as you have them on your team, you always have a chance to win ANY game.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:52 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Here’s what I don’t understand….

Why is everyone so hell bent on parting with Higgins?  He’s part of the best WR group in the league.  And, the whole point of playing the game is to score more than the opponent.  Burrow, Chase, Higgins is lethal when it comes to that.

As has been shown time and time again, no lead by the opponents are safe with these guys playing.

Personally?  I want to see the Bengals throw the ball all over the field and score on a whim with a short clock.  Let those other teams play for 3 yards and a cloud of dust.

Will they be expensive?  Sure.  The best of anything is always more expensive.

But, the cap will rise every year, too.

Any player, regardless of who it is, on either side of the ball, can play themselves out of a contract (see Mixon).  But, trading your best players for some sort of draft picks, which may or may not pan out?  Not interested.  Not sure why anyone else would be.

Burrow, Chase and Higgins are generational type players.  You don’t find them all that often.  When you do, you’ve hit the jackpot.  You don’t trade them away.  As long as you have them on your team, you always have a chance to win ANY game.

We will see if the Orlando Brown signing helps or hinders Tee coming back. The OL might be just fine if either Carman or Jonah 
play well there. Hoping it is Carman and we have our RT and LT for the foreseeable future. If the OL is good, it is all good with me
for Tee to come back. I think the only ones not wanting Tee back was if it prevented us from improving the trenches.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 06:48 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: We will see if the Orlando Brown signing helps or hinders Tee coming back. The OL might be just fine if either Carman or Jonah 
play well there. Hoping it is Carman and we have our RT and LT for the foreseeable future. If the OL is good, it is all good with me
for Tee to come back. I think the only ones not wanting Tee back was if it prevented us from improving the trenches.

As has always been the case, cut loose the expensive, less productive vets, fill in with FAs who deserve long term deals, draft the rest on (relatively) inexpensive first contracts.

That’s why it hurst when they whiff on high round draft picks. Hurts when a high priced FA doesn’t work out (Collins). That’s going to happen. Minimizing those whiffs allows you to maneuver like the Bengals are doing right now. But, the 4-5 guys who make your team who they are (Henrickson, Burrow, HIggins, Chase, etc should be untouchable until at least their 3rd contract.

Higgins is cheaper to reup now than anyone of his caliber will be for the next few seasons.

Key is drafting well, as always.

Side note, I think Collins can be jettisoned on a medical settlement. Not sure how that works, though.

I think they have to be shopping Mixon right now. They need to get a RB on a rookie contract. Given they let Perine leave, that’s their plan. Unless, Mixon takes a decent sized pay cut.

SAme for TE. Hurst left after he said he really wanted to stay. Bengals are looking for a TE in the draft and didn’t get serious with Hurst unless he was cheap.

This contract from Brown didn’t happen in a vacuum. They were planning this for a while.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:00 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: As has always been the case, cut loose the expensive, less productive vets, fill in with FAs who deserve long term deals, draft the rest on (relatively) inexpensive first contracts.

That’s why it hurst when they whiff on high round draft picks.  Hurts when a high priced FA doesn’t work out (Collins).  That’s going to happen.  Minimizing those whiffs allows you to maneuver like the Bengals are doing right now.  But, the 4-5 guys who make your team who they are (Henrickson, Burrow, HIggins, Chase, etc should be untouchable until at least their 3rd contract.

Higgins is cheaper to reup now than anyone of his caliber will be for the next few seasons.  

Side note, I think Collins can be jettisoned on a medical settlement.  Not sure how that works, though.

I think they have to be shopping Mixon right now.  They need to get a RB on a rookie contract.  Given they let Perine leave, that’s their plan.  Unless, Mixon takes a decent sized pay cut.

SAme for TE. Hurst left after he said he really wanted to stay.  Bengals are looking for a TE in the draft and didn’t get serious with Hurst unless he was cheap.

This contract from Brown didn’t happen in a vacuum.  They were planning this for a while.

Nice post Graphicguy. We can designate a cut of Mixon right now as a June 1st cut and it would give us some more dough to throw 
around. You are evidently correct and the Orlando Brown signing was planned for quite a bit or at least a top tier OL like him. I don't
know about the settlement for La'el either or the details that entails. Actually think Tee is more likely to be extended now with Orlando
in the fold. That was a major addition to the trenches.

Also think the ones that were against Tee coming back was because he is banged up a lot and we are very good at drafting WR's for
the most part. Not good at drafting OL for the most part. These vet additions to the OL make everything much more stable ground for 
us. Nice draft to add TE's and RB's, we could double dip at both positions if we want even. I would like a vet like Foster Moreau though
at TE and get a gamebreaking RB like Gibbs and a pass protecting RB in Roschon Johnson and damn are we loaded with weapons and
a damn good OL if Carman becomes a good RT for the future.
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 01:52 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: Here’s what I don’t understand….

Why is everyone so hell bent on parting with Higgins?  He’s part of the best WR group in the league.  And, the whole point of playing the game is to score more than the opponent.  Burrow, Chase, Higgins is lethal when it comes to that...

Nobody wants to lose Higgins.   What people dont want to see is Higgins plays 1 more season in 2023 then leaves next year and we have nothing to show for it.  If the Bengals cant work out an extension with Higgins this year, he is gone as free agent this time next year.  They are not going to use the franchise tag because the Bengals would have to pay him the average of the top 5 WRs salaries which could be 25+ million per year.   If the Bengals were going to pay him top 5 money, they wouldnt need to use the franchise tag in the first place.  Higgins either needs to be extended or he needs to be traded.  He is too valuable to let walk without having something to show for it. 
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:23 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Nobody wants to lose Higgins.   What people dont want to see is Higgins plays 1 more season in 2023 then leaves next year and we have nothing to show for it.  If the Bengals cant work out an extension with Higgins this year, he is gone as free agent this time next year.  They are not going to use the franchise tag because the Bengals would have to pay him the average of the top 5 WRs salaries which could be 25+ million per year.   If the Bengals were going to pay him top 5 money, they wouldnt need to use the franchise tag in the first place.  Higgins either needs to be extended or he needs to be traded.  He is too valuable to let walk without having something to show for it. 

This. Nice post 007. Cool
Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:00 PM)Graphicguy Wrote: As has always been the case, cut loose the expensive, less productive vets, fill in with FAs who deserve long term deals, draft the rest on (relatively) inexpensive first contracts.

That’s why it hurst when they whiff on high round draft picks.  Hurts when a high priced FA doesn’t work out (Collins).  That’s going to happen.  Minimizing those whiffs allows you to maneuver like the Bengals are doing right now.  But, the 4-5 guys who make your team who they are (Henrickson, Burrow, HIggins, Chase, etc should be untouchable until at least their 3rd contract.

Side note, I think Collins can be jettisoned on a medical settlement.  Not sure how that works, though.

I think they have to be shopping Mixon right now.  They need to get a RB on a rookie contract.  Given they let Perine leave, that’s their plan.  Unless, Mixon takes a decent sized pay cut.

SAme for TE. Hurst left after he said he really wanted to stay.  Bengals are looking for a TE in the draft and didn’t get serious with Hurst unless he was cheap.

This contract from Brown didn’t happen in a vacuum.  They were planning this for a while.

LC is a much better saving s staying.

Reply/Quote
(03-16-2023, 08:23 PM)007BengalsFan Wrote: Nobody wants to lose Higgins.   What people dont want to see is Higgins plays 1 more season in 2023 then leaves next year and we have nothing to show for it.  If the Bengals cant work out an extension with Higgins this year, he is gone as free agent this time next year.  They are not going to use the franchise tag because the Bengals would have to pay him the average of the top 5 WRs salaries which could be 25+ million per year.   If the Bengals were going to pay him top 5 money, they wouldnt need to use the franchise tag in the first place.  Higgins either needs to be extended or he needs to be traded.  He is too valuable to let walk without having something to show for it. 

Higgins IS a top 5 WR. If it comes to that, I have no problem tagging him for 2025 if he stays healthy! Again, the cap is going up every year. And, the crazy TV money is kicking in.
Reply/Quote
(03-17-2023, 12:31 AM)Graphicguy Wrote: Higgins IS a top 5 WR. If it comes to that, I have no problem tagging him in for 2025 if he stays healthy!

Higgins is not a top 5 WR. I could see top 10-12, but top 5, that is delusional… and I love Tee.

Chase
Jefferson
Hill
Davante
Kupp

And I didn’t think hard. Others…

Diggs
Lamb
St brown
Aj brown

Higgins has age on his side over some on that list, but that’s not fully inclusive either.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote