Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KeiVarae Russell
So I wasn't up on the pickup from KC last year and I see he started some games and got an interception. What are your hopes that this guy could be a future starter on the team? He was ranked highly in the draft and was a third round pick.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-26-2017, 08:02 PM)Okeana Wrote: So I wasn't up on the pickup from KC last year and I see he started some games and got an interception.  What are your hopes that this guy could be a future starter on the team?  He was ranked highly in the draft and was a third round pick.

I really like this guy. Very talented Cornerback. That interception was a beauty too, hips are the end all with Corners and this guy is fluid.

This was a great pickup in my opinion and i also like bringing in Benwikere.

The Secondary is not bad at all, and Coyle started to get it together late last year.

With WJ3, Dennard, Shaw, Kirkpatrick, Garrett, Benwikere we could be real tough to pass on.

Imagine if we got an End opposite Dunlap to rush the passer.
Reply/Quote
Didn't he get his int on his very first play as a Bengal?
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
He made some nice ST plays late in the season too.
Reply/Quote
I still don't understand why KC let him go after spending a third, but it sounds like a positive for us.

[Image: giphy.gif]
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 09:58 AM)Okeana Wrote: I still don't understand why KC let him go after spending a third, but it sounds like a positive for us.

The rumor was he wasn't really buying into the idea of being a pro. Doing the things in and outside the building to succeed and then it became a numbers game. When he got here he said he had figured out he has to spend time studying outside and eating right and doing things like it's a job. I don't think it was a talent thing, and the other stuff may be chalked up to immaturity.
Reply/Quote
I think this was a very under the radar pick up for us last year.

As we do with all the kids/rookies he didn't get much of an opportunity last year.

If #24 gets cut (like he should) and someone Dre isn't back he could be a starter next year. Regardless I think you will see him on the field plenty in 2017!

The best part is we picked him up for nothing (the Chiefs spent a 3rd Rounder on him)
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
Huge Notre Dame fan here. Russell was highly recruited out of high school. But he kinda Sucked on the field n had a poor attitude as well. If the guy had talent KC would not have cut him so fast. Don't get too excited. At notre dame he would never make a play. Was always a step to late.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 10:47 AM)Socal Bengals fan Wrote: Huge Notre Dame fan here.   Russell was highly recruited out of high school.   But he kinda Sucked on the field n had a poor attitude as well.  If the guy had talent KC would not have cut him so fast.  Don't get too excited.  At notre dame he would never make a play.  Was always a step to late.

KC has a loaded defense too with stars at every level and a great pass rush. If there is any team a CB should look good on...it's there.

That said, some CB's do better in man schemes. Some better in Zone, etc.
Reply/Quote
I'll hold off judgement until I actually see him play. A few concerns, broken fibula and suspended for "academic dishonesty". Also, we near the back of the line on waiver claims so a lot of other teams passed on him. Seems odd for a recent 3rd round selection in a CB-heavy NFL. Maybe the aforementioned injury/off-field scared teams off?

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2016/profiles/keivarae-russell?id=2555547
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 12:13 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I'll hold off judgement until I actually see him play.  A few concerns, broken fibula and suspended for "academic dishonesty".  Also, we near the back of the line on waiver claims so a lot of other teams passed on him.  Seems odd for a recent 3rd round selection in a CB-heavy NFL.  Maybe the aforementioned injury/off-field scared teams off?

True on all those, however maybe getting cut was a huge wakeup call and the guy turns out to be a decent pro.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 12:13 PM)BleedNOrange Wrote: I'll hold off judgement until I actually see him play.  A few concerns, broken fibula and suspended for "academic dishonesty".  Also, we near the back of the line on waiver claims so a lot of other teams passed on him.  Seems odd for a recent 3rd round selection in a CB-heavy NFL.  Maybe the aforementioned injury/off-field scared teams off?

He was more than a recent selection. He was a 3rd Round pick that got waived 1 week into his rookie season.

A 6th Round pick beat him out in training camp and the Chiefs also felt the need to trade for another CB.

Supposedly he had trouble learning the defense and terminology on defense too...but to give up on a 3rd Round pick that quick...
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 12:25 PM)THE PISTONS Wrote: He was more than a recent selection. He was a 3rd Round pick that got waived 1 week into his rookie season.

A 6th Round pick beat him out in training camp and the Chiefs also felt the need to trade for another CB.

Supposedly he had trouble learning the defense and terminology on defense too...but to give up on a 3rd Round pick that quick...

Maybe he didn't take things seriously.  Hard to believe, but he very well could have just thought his ability would coast him through.
Reply/Quote
He made a play in his first snap on defense...

I do think he has potential but don't know until he gets a consistent amount of snaps.
Former Contributor for StripeHype

CEO/Founder of CUE Sports Media

Reply/Quote
http://espn1530.iheart.com/onair/james-rapien-56340/oneonone-with-keivarae-russell-15130425/

James Rapien did an interview with him after he was signed. Much of what's being discussed in here (him not taking things seriously initially) are discussed in the interview.
Reply/Quote
Great under the radar pickup. Hopefully he surprises.
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(02-27-2017, 09:58 AM)Okeana Wrote: I still don't understand why KC let him go after spending a third, but it sounds like a positive for us.

Could be any number of reasons, but I don't think that should factor into our evaluation of him. Hell we cut James Devlin because he wasn't good enough and how many rings does that dude have? Pretty sure we also recently did the same thing with PJ Dawson; it's just nobody claimed him. I still have high hopes for him. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I've been onboard with this signing from the start. I was surprised they gave up on him so soon. AR and his staff have proven to be excellent talent evaluaters over the years.

The flip side of that though is the head scratcher of exactly what he did to get released? Andy has always been pretty tolerant with his players and their behavior.... That's the most troubling thing for me. Hope there's not more to his release other than sending a message to his team & Russell.

Good job by the Bengals staff to catch his release. I think he can play.
Reply/Quote