Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keith Wenning... Incapable?
What makes Keith Wenning incapable of winning a game?

From what I've read this week, it looks like the smart thing to do would be to sit McCarron (wrist) and start Wenning.... but it seems like everyone feels this means an automatic loss. My question is this.. is Wenning capable of winning in this league?

Sure, he is from ball state, but his senior stat line looks something like this.

4000+ yards, on 300+ attempts, 35TDs 7ints and a 154.4 QBR.

He is playing arguably the worst team in football, is Wenning scrappy enough to pull it off?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: What makes Keith Wenning incapable of winning a game?

From what I've read this week, it looks like the smart thing to do would be to sit McCarron (wrist) and start Wenning.... but it seems like everyone feels this means an automatic loss. My question is this.. is Wenning capable of winning in this league?

Sure, he is from ball state, but his senior stat line looks something like this.

4000+ yards, on 300+ attempts, 35TDs 7ints and a 154.4 QBR.

He is playing arguably the worst team in football, is Wenning scrappy enough to pull it off?

MY goodness....

Lack of reps plain and simple until 2 weeks ago he was on the practice squad and not getting any of our Offensive Reps. He doesnt have the reps or practice is this offense.
Im sure he can throw the ball... his stat line says so.

But we want this win. And oh McCarron needs more reps too....
Reply/Quote
Meh, just read that McCarron and Hue Jackson think he will be ready to go for Sunday, so let me rephrase this.

If for some reason McCarron is forced to leave the game early, can Wenning pull it off?
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:42 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: MY goodness....

Lack of reps plain and simple until 2 weeks ago he was on the practice squad and not getting any of our Offensive Reps.  He doesnt have the reps or practice is this offense.
Im sure he can throw the ball... his stat line says so.

But we want this win. And oh McCarron needs more reps too....

.... so that's a no? Whatever  lol
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:42 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Meh, just read that McCarron and Hue Jackson think he will be ready to go for Sunday, so let me rephrase this.

If for some reason McCarron is forced to leave the game early, can Wenning pull it off?

Depends on how much he improved while being on the PS and running the 2nd team when he got called up. If he looks like he did with the Ravens last year and us in the preseason, then it's very likely that he won't pull it off.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
The idea we're debating Wenning starting week 17, would be worrisome if the Bengals weren't AFCN champions, and in the playoffs. Something tells me the idea we are/were debating starting the practice squad qb week 17 due to injury to our top 2 qb's is foreshadowing heartbreak and disappointment in two weeks.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
Wenning isn't all that bad. He has better deep ball accuracy. But McCarron has better overall accuracy. So it's possible for Wenning to have success. Just as it's possible for McCarron to have success.

Not because of their overall ability. But the players around them.
Check out my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/user/AndWeGiveUp

[Image: Mx7IB2.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:47 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: Wenning isn't all that bad. He has better deep ball accuracy. But McCarron has better overall accuracy. So it's possible for Wenning to have success. Just as it's possible for McCarron to have success.

Not because of their overall ability. But the players around them.

Right, I'm interested in the dropoff between McCarron and Wenning. Playing QB at Ball State is CERTAINLY UNCOMPARABLE to playing on Sundays (or even QB at Alabama for that matter), but then again, he has to have some talent to have had the success he did. We have an all-star cast who IMO made some great plays Monday night to help a young QB out, so if this situation did arise, I hope we could see more of the same. 
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:43 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: .... so that's a no? Whatever  lol

as evident by the 2nd half in the last 2 games.. Mccarron needs more work if we are gonna have playoff success.

Im not dogging mccarron. I think he has done well off the bench... But im not comfortable enough with him yet to give him a week off before the playoffs especially if he can play.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:54 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: Right, I'm interested in the dropoff between McCarron and Wenning. Playing QB at Ball State is CERTAINLY UNCOMPARABLE to playing on Sundays (or even QB at Alabama for that matter), but then again, he has to have some talent to have had the success he did. We have an all-star cast who IMO made some great plays Monday night to help a young QB out, so if this situation did arise, I hope we could see more of the same. 

My only issue is the last two games were very reminiscent of the Colts playoff game last year. Did decent enough in the first half, but them completely became abysmal in the 2nd half. Many throws to the RB and TE in the final half as checkdowns.

I want McCarron to do well. I do. But him not being able to read zone coverage scares me. Especially when the playoffs start in 2 weeks.

Reply/Quote
The more game reps ajm gets the better. Hopefully he can start getting some timing with eifert. He looks pretty comfortable with aj and mj already and even kroft If it was something causing him pain while playing like leg or ankle then id say let him rest but not a sprain on a non throwing hand .
Reply/Quote
Who knows until he plays? But his lack of experience is a concern.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:57 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: as evident by the 2nd half in the last 2 games.. Mccarron needs more work if we are gonna have playoff success.

Im not dogging mccarron. I think he has done well off the bench... But im not comfortable enough with him yet to give him a week off before the playoffs especially if he can play.

Ya I didn't think of it that way, he DOES need more work. I just worry about the risk of hurting him more, then we go from 20-35% chance of winning in the playoffs to 1-2% of 'Wenning' lol

I guess in the back of my mind there is this hope that Dalton just heals or steps up and plays anyways.....
Reply/Quote
How about they start Wenning and if he flounders too much put AJM in?

Since Dalton's return time is not 100 percent known... it would be nice to give our "backup's backup" a chance to get reps against NFL starters.

If he looks like total garbage then put AJ in there, and prep Kafka to get him ready for competing for the backup role instead.
[Image: 51209558878_91a895e0bb_m.jpg]
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 07:00 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: My only issue is the last two games were very reminiscent of the Colts playoff game last year. Did decent enough in the first half, but them completely became abysmal in the 2nd half. Many throws to the RB and TE in the final half as checkdowns.

I want McCarron to do well. I do. But him not being able to read zone coverage scares me. Especially when the playoffs start in 2 weeks.

You are ridiculous.  Guess Aaron Rodgers who only put up 10 pts against this Denver defense couldn't read zone either.  Seriously get the **** out of here with this AJ can't read zone bullshit.  This kid has accomplished more than you ever will and you accuse him of not being able to read zone coverage that is ran all the down at the high school level and below.  Could it be that Denver who is ranked 1 in defense and has 3 guys in the secondary going to the Pro Bowl played a huge part in this loss?

Do you think AJs never played against zone before?  Every post you say the same thing but it only goes to show how little to nothing you actually know about football.  Sorry bud but this isn't Madden.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 07:38 PM)Stonyhands Wrote: You are ridiculous.  Guess Aaron Rodgers who only put up 10 pts against this Denver defense couldn't read zone either.  Seriously get the **** out of here with this AJ can't read zone bullshit.  This kid has accomplished more than you ever will and you accuse him of not being able to read zone coverage that is ran all the down at the high school level and below.  Could it be that Denver who is ranked 1 in defense and has 3 guys in the secondary going to the Pro Bowl played a huge part in this loss?

Do you think AJs never played against zone before?  Every post you say the same thing but it only goes to show how little to nothing you actually know about football.  Sorry bud but this isn't Madden.

You can't forsee the future. And I've done a lot in my life outside of football.

Rodgers can read zone. Show me a good read McCarron made while they were in zone. Other commenters and NFL analysts have even talked about McCarron struggling against the zone once Denver went to it.

Just because a team does zone in high school does not mean it's the same in the NFL level.

AJ Has played against zone before. But he hasn't played against a good defense in the NFL. There's a HUGE difference between college and professional.

So how well did McCarron do against zone once they started doing it in the second quarter? How well did McCarron do against the Steelers defense that likes to run a ton of zone? A pick six, another interception, and didn't get his 2nd passing TD until the final minute of the game.

Look at tape. Not stats. McCarron lacks arm strength down the field. He hesitates. Has happy feet. Once he faces pressure he struggles. Completed ONE pass while on the run this season.

In Alabama his team masked a ton of his weaknesses. If McCarron is so great then why did he last until late in the 5th round? He won national championships, right?

Reply/Quote
For AJ-Mac to win a playoff game, it would make sense to me that he needs all the REAL reps he can get and that only comes from playing in a real game.

Play AJ-Mac against the RatTURDS. It will help his growth.
Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 06:39 PM)GreenCornBengal Wrote: He is playing arguably the worst team in football, is Wenning scrappy enough to pull it off?

If Ben R. couldn't handle "arguably the worst team in football", with his playoff hopes on the line, what makes you think that Wenning will fare any better?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Maybe they'll put Sanu !

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
(12-30-2015, 07:58 PM)Whacked Wrote: For AJ-Mac to win a playoff game, it would make sense to me that he needs all the REAL reps he can get and that only comes from playing in a real game.  

Play AJ-Mac against the RatTURDS. It will help his growth.

There's no way you don't. I don't want McCarron going into a playoff game with only two starts under his belt.

Reply/Quote