Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting
(03-26-2021, 04:32 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: They arrested her a lot quicker than those assholes on January 6th.

Weird.

I'm gonna have to assume that being accused of "stomping" on the foot of an officer (or "assault" if you're into hyperbole) is worse that running them over, using bear mace, etc.

Priorities!
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 04:32 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: They arrested her a lot quicker than those assholes on January 6th.

Weird.

You mean they arrested one person, who acted alone, quicker than hundreds of people acting as a mob in a scenario in which the officers on site were overwhelmed?  Color me shocked.  I honestly don't see how any reasonable person could even compare the two scenarios or question why one arrest happened sooner than the several that came later.  But hey, if you're trying to deflect from her assaulting a peace officer then I can at least comprehend your motive, if not condone or accept it.
Reply/Quote
BTW, as you can observe in the photos posted on page one, this woman is wearing pointed heels. If you don't think having someone stomp on your feet while wearing such heels can cause significant injury to your feet then please raise your hand so I can remember to take any of your opinions with a brick of salt.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:45 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: You mean they arrested one person, who acted alone, quicker than hundreds of people acting as a mob in a scenario in which the officers on site were overwhelmed?  Color me shocked.  I honestly don't see how any reasonable person could even compare the two scenarios or question why one arrest happened sooner than the several that came later.  But hey, if you're trying to deflect from her assaulting a peace officer then I can at least comprehend your motive, if not condone or accept it.

I mean there was adequate security during Georgia's General Assembly to handle threats that may have come their way.

I'm just wondering who authorized that.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:51 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: I mean there was adequate security during Georgia's General Assembly to handle threats that may have come their way.

I'm just wondering who authorized that.

Respectfully, this is a poor point.  Whether there was adequate security at the Capitol of not for that day does not detract from the rebuttal to your assertion.  Additionally, it comes off as a deflection from the actions of the person arrested in GA.  This person deserved to be arrested, and as one person where able to be arrested on the spot.  Trying to compare to radically different scenarios and paint one as law enforcement showing favoritism to one group over another is disingenuous at best.  I certainly hope it's not deliberate on your part.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 05:59 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Respectfully, this is a poor point.  Whether there was adequate security at the Capitol of not for that day does not detract from the rebuttal to your assertion.  Additionally, it comes off as a deflection from the actions of the person arrested in GA.  This person deserved to be arrested, and as one person where able to be arrested on the spot.  Trying to compare to radically different scenarios and paint one as law enforcement showing favoritism to one group over another is disingenuous at best.  I certainly hope it's not deliberate on your part.

My point has nothing to do with the officers themselves. They did their job and they did it amicably, and I hope she doesn't get off on some bullshit because you're right - heels hurt, and those men don't deserve to be assaulted for carrying out their duty.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 07:16 PM)BigPapaKain Wrote: My point has nothing to do with the officers themselves. They did their job and they did it amicably, and I hope she doesn't get off on some bullshit because you're right - heels hurt, and those men don't deserve to be assaulted for carrying out their duty.

I appreciate that.  Also, I apologize if I mistook the intent of your post. 
Reply/Quote
OMG...for the drama queens:

*IF* the 5 foot 2, heel wearing woman really hurt the officers then she will be punished for that.

I am so *totally* sure that she couldn't have accidentally stepped on a foot while the two much larger officers dragged her away in cuffs. I mean we KNOW the police never exaggerate or make stuff up...amiright? "Assault" seems a bit of a stretch but then I'm not a cop. Do they wear vans? Earlier I was told only the DA can file charges...so what is it?

Meanwhile let's just use that distraction to avoid talking about the outrageous bill that was signed behind a closed door.

Lawd some are so easily triggered it's almost funny.
Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 07:21 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: I appreciate that.  Also, I apologize if I mistook the intent of your post. 

You're golden.

Fwiw; I was taking a shot at the GoP for having security at the ready for this fiasco in Georgia but allegedly pulling security from the Capitol during the Electoral Confirmation. I'm swinging for low hanging fruit is all.
Reply/Quote
Lawd I saw the whole video of her arrest.  Sad day in GA.

Still not sure what law she broke other than the "do what the officer tells you" rule.

Those politicians would feel shame if they weren't so busy trying to rig elections in their favor.  So much so that they had police ready to arrest anyone, even a  fellow lawmaker, that wanted to even watch.  Awful...including using the police as pawns in their game.

There are so many things bad about this new bill.
Reply/Quote

Reply/Quote
In kentucky, one of my local reps (danny carroll) managed to pass a bill that makes any group of 4+ people who might damage public property a riot; as such the rioters have to be jailed for at least 48 hours.

Welcome to the Bluegrass, where our legislators advocate exercising your Second amendment rights, but actively lobby against your first.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
If people aren’t voting for you then fix it. Don’t run a crazy person for President would be a good start.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(03-26-2021, 08:50 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: In response to high voter turnout that favored Democrats in two recent elections, GA Republicans have passed a voting law that implements a series of restrictive voting practices aimed at lowering voter turnout and targeting voting methods typically used by Black voters in GA.

Despite legal losses by the Trump campaign to overturn the election on a wholly fabricated claim of fraud and top GOP election officials in GA noting that there was no fraud, state lawmakers moved forward to ensure that it would be harder for people to vote, claiming the measures are aimed at preventing fraud.

The law grew substantially over the last week as Republicans piled more restrictions into it, including preventing the state from sending everyone mail in ballots, making it illegal to give food or water to voters waiting in line, and requiring copies of ID cards attached to both the applications for and the actual mail in ballots. The state can take control of local election boards and citizens can file unlimited challenges against voter registration and individual eligibility, which is likely to lead to groups targeting voter lists in areas predominately of color, a common legal practice for conservative groups.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/03/25/politics/georgia-state-house-voting-bill-passage/index.html

A member of the state legislature was arrested at the state capitol building for knocking on the closed door of the office where the signing of the bill occurred, protesting the bill by demanding that the governor sign it in public rather than in private.

https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/545036-georgia-state-lawmaker-arrested-after-protesting-governors-signing-of

And he signed it just in front of a painting of the Callaway Plantation symbol of Georgia slavery.

https://www.inquirer.com/opinion/georgia-governor-brian-kemp-painting-slave-plantation-20210326.html

And again I say unto you, It is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter into the kingdom of God.

Reply/Quote
https://news.yahoo.com/georgia-lawmaker-arrested-for-knocking-on-gov-kemps-door-calls-possible-8-year-prison-term-unfounded-175102413.html

Quote:Georgia lawmaker arrested for knocking on Gov. Kemp's door calls possible 8-year prison term 'unfounded'

[Image: 6c06fac0-1e6f-11e8-adbd-ff7198322e66_marquise1.jpg]
Marquise Francis
·National Reporter & Producer
Thu, April 1, 2021, 1:51 PM·3 min read

Georgia state Rep. Park Cannon, who was arrested last week after attempting to gain access to the office where Gov. Brian Kemp was signing a controversial voting restriction bill into law, said Thursday that her actions were justified.

“I felt as if time was moving in slow motion,” Cannon said, fighting back tears as she described the details of the incident. “My experience was painful, both physically and emotionally, but today I stand before you to say as horrible as that experience was ... I believe the governor signing into law the most comprehensive voter suppression bill in the country is a far more serious crime.”

It was the first time Cannon has spoken publicly about the incident since her arrest. Video of her knocking on the door to Kemp’s office before being forcibly removed by police went viral on social media, drawing further attention to the new restrictions on voting.
[Image: 80a5dc60-9312-11eb-affd-d55d0e11172e]
Georgia state Rep. Park Cannon is placed in handcuffs by state troopers on March 25 after being asked to stop knocking on a door to Gov. Brian Kemp's office. (Alyssa Pointer/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP)

Flanked by a handful of supporters and fellow Democratic lawmakers at the base of a mural of civil rights icon John Lewis in Atlanta, Cannon described the law as a “voter suppression bill” and said that with “one stroke of a pen” Kemp “erased decades of sacrifices, incalculable hours of work, marches, prayers, tears and ... minimized the deaths of thousands who have paid the ultimate price to vote.”

The Election Integrity Act of 2021, or Senate Bill 202, imposes new voter ID requirements for absentee ballots, limits the number of drop boxes across the state and gives state-level officials the power to take over county election boards, possibly allowing GOP officials to decide the ballot count in Democratic strongholds.
The bill, which Kemp signed into law just over an hour after it was passed in the General Assembly, also criminalizes passing out food or drinks to voters waiting in line.

Republicans say the law’s stricter requirements will ensure that future Georgia elections will be more secure, but Democrats contend it was designed to suppress the elderly and Black vote, and was written in direct response to GOP losses in the 2020 presidential election in the state as well as two runoff contests that handed Democrats control of the U.S. Senate. A record 5 million Georgians voted in the last election cycle.

[Image: 6064e77e60b4aa1428b6bbc6_o_U_v2.jpg]
Kemp deputy pushes for increased voting despite controversial new law
Less than a week after Georgia Republicans passed a controversial new election law, one of the state’s top GOP leaders expressed concern about portions of the bill that he believes don’t make sense. “There were some things I didn't like in the law early on in the process, and I spoke up really loudly about it,” Lt. Gov. Geoff Duncan told Yahoo News. “I think an important part of this is about continuing to live around the mantra of making voting in Georgia easier to vote and harder to cheat.”

Fortune 500 companies based in Georgia and others headquartered nationally, including Delta, Home Depot and Coca-Cola, have condemned the new election law.

In a Wednesday memo to Delta employees, CEO Ed Bastian said it was “evident that the bill includes provisions that will make it harder for many underrepresented voters, particularly Black voters, to exercise their constitutional right to elect their representatives. That is wrong.”

Cannon is now facing two felony charges from last week’s arrest — obstruction and preventing or disrupting a General Assembly session, according to the Fulton County Department of Public Safety website.

She told reporters Thursday that she is facing eight years in prison for those charges, which she called “unfounded.” Georgia Attorney General Christopher Carr did not respond to a request from Yahoo News for comment for this story.

Park’s attorneys say the Democratic legislator is now raising money for her legal defense on a GoFundMe page titled “I Stand With Park.”

The fund’s initial goal is set at $1 million, and the page says that “any remaining funds will be used to protect Voting Rights.”

Cover thumbnail photo illustration: Yahoo News; photos: Alyssa Pointer/Atlanta Journal-Constitution via AP, Ben Gray/AP Photo

"Knocking when the nice officer told you not to" seems like a pretty weak excuse to arrest someone or charge them with a felony.  I don't even know if her possibly stepping on a boot with her heel was included!   Mellow
Reply/Quote

[Image: EyEfnVeUUAEHMQg?format=jpg&name=medium]
Reply/Quote
(04-04-2021, 02:31 PM)GMDino Wrote:  

[Image: EyEfnVeUUAEHMQg?format=jpg&name=medium]

I tend to avoid the politics forum because it usually has the terrible people that are far left arguing against the terrible people that are far right. 

Not too many people in the middle who look at both sides as corrupt and agenda pushing....

However, I saw this tweet and then saw it on here and again I look at it and think how incorrect and misleading it is.

When the graph starts is what 10 years after the Civil War, so African American turnout was supposedly higher then the white voters at that point???

I find that unlikely at best, total bullshit to try and prove a point more likely. What the graph actually shows, is that as society has progressed there has been greater and greater voter turn-out for all races.

Now, as to this actual bill. The bill says people with a political party can't hand out water... not you can't have water if you are in line. Means poll workers hand out the water... you know like it should be, not people pushing their views... so, this is a good thing. You get water, for free and don't get pressured to vote for a party. That's a good thing.

You need an ID to vote. Again, this seems like a pretty basic concept... if you don't have an ID at 18, they are free in Georgia. I live there. You can get a State ID... free. So, again, this doesn't seem like a major set back.

I really feel like people just can't wait to be triggered and outraged and trying to act "woke" at a moments notice and in a lot of cases, it's people bitching to be bitching.

I haven't seen where this bill prohibits anyone from voting, unless they don't have an ID. 

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:37 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I tend to avoid the politics forum because it usually has the terrible people that are far left arguing against the terrible people that are far right. 

Not too many people in the middle who look at both sides as corrupt and agenda pushing....

However, I saw this tweet and then saw it on here and again I look at it and think how incorrect and misleading it is.

When the graph starts is what 10 years after the Civil War, so African American turnout was supposedly higher then the white voters at that point???

I find that unlikely at best, total bullshit to try and prove a point more likely. What the graph actually shows, is that as society has progressed there has been greater and greater voter turn-out for all races.

Now, as to this actual bill. The bill says people with a political party can't hand out water... not you can't have water if you are in line. Means poll workers hand out the water... you know like it should be, not people pushing their views... so, this is a good thing. You get water, for free and don't get pressured to vote for a party. That's a good thing.

You need an ID to vote. Again, this seems like a pretty basic concept... if you don't have an ID at 18, they are free in Georgia. I live there. You can get a State ID... free. So, again, this doesn't seem like a major set back.

I really feel like people just can't wait to be triggered and outraged and trying to act "woke" at a moments notice and in a lot of cases, it's people bitching to be bitching.

I haven't seen where this bill prohibits anyone from voting, unless they don't have an ID. 

Ah...so you have a thought, an opinion...so you just want to pretend that point "can't" be true and then use that as the the starting point for your own spin.

Great.

First, let's look at the graph title which says "registered voters" not people who voted. Then...

https://www.crf-usa.org/black-history-month/race-and-voting-in-the-segregated-south

Quote:In 1870, the 15th Amendment was ratified. It stated that, “The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any State on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.”

More than a half-million black men became voters in the South during the 1870s (women did not secure the right to vote in the United States until 1920). For the most part, these new black voters cast their ballots solidly for the Republican Party, the party of the Great Emancipator, Abraham Lincoln.

When Mississippi rejoined the Union in 1870, former slaves made up more than half of that state’s population. During the next decade, Mississippi sent two black U.S. senators to Washington and elected a number of black state officials, including a lieutenant governor. But even though the new black citizens voted freely and in large numbers, whites were still elected to a large majority of state and local offices. This was the pattern in most of the Southern states during Reconstruction.

The Republican-controlled state governments in the South were hardly perfect. Many citizens complained about overtaxation and outright corruption. But these governments brought about significant improvements in the lives of the former slaves. For the first time, black men and women enjoyed freedom of speech and movement, the right of a fair trial, education for their children, and all the other privileges and protections of American citizenship. But all this changed when Reconstruction ended in 1877 and federal troops withdrew from the old Confederacy. 

This link: http://umich.edu/~lawrace/votetour1.htm shows the make up of the population at the time.

So just because you don't believe that is possible doesn't mean it isn't...especially when compared to an actual report on the subject.

And that means your further breakdown of the latest attempt to restrict minority voting starts of from a bad point.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 09:39 AM)GMDino Wrote: Ah...so you have a thought, an opinion...so you just want to pretend that point "can't" be true and then use that as the the starting point for your own spin.

Great.

First, let's look at the graph title which says "registered voters" not people who voted.  Then...

https://www.crf-usa.org/black-history-month/race-and-voting-in-the-segregated-south

Wow, could you be more condescending?  

Quote:This link: http://umich.edu/~lawrace/votetour1.htm shows the make up of the population at the time.

So just because you don't believe that is possible doesn't mean it isn't...especially when compared to an actual report on the subject.

And that means your further breakdown of the latest attempt to restrict minority voting starts of from a bad point.

This is a mediocre attempt to actually ignore his points about the GA law.  Let's say he is starting off from a "bad point".  That would make his defense of the GA law easy to dismantle, no?  Instead of doing that you just made a ham fisted attempt to dismiss his whole statement because you think his first point is incorrect.  It's cherry picking what you can dispute and ignoring what you cannot.  In short, it's a piss poor rebuttal.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 10:47 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wow, could you be more condescending?  

This is a mediocre attempt to actually ignore his points about the GA law.  Let's say he is starting off from a "bad point".  That would make his defense of the GA law easy to dismantle, no?  Instead of doing that you just made a ham fisted attempt to dismiss his whole statement because you think his first point is incorrect.  It's cherry picking what you can dispute and ignoring what you cannot.  In short, it's a piss poor rebuttal.

His first two sentences are fallacies.  2 for 2 there. 

I like how he talks about people's outrage while also justifying a LAW passed to keep people from handing out water while standing in a purposely designed hours long line to vote. "That's how it should be" fffss. 
Reply/Quote