Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kemp signs restrictive GA voting bill; Dem lawmaker arrested for protesting
(04-05-2021, 12:08 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: His first two sentences are fallacies.  2 for 2 there.

Well then, as I stated before, it should be quite simple to refute them then, no? 

Quote:I like how he talks about people's outrage while also justifying a LAW passed to keep people from handing out water while standing in a purposely designed hours long line to vote. "That's how it should be" fffss. 

That's a mischaracterization of what he actually said.  Again, if he's so wrong, then refute his claims.  Also, from experience, Murdock is not a real conservative guy.  He never really posted in P&R much, but I don't recall his being especially conservative when he did.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well then, as I stated before, it should be quite simple to refute them then, no? 

That's a mischaracterization of what he actually said.  Again, if he's so wrong, then refute his claims.  Also, from experience, Murdock is not a real conservative guy.  He never really posted in P&R much, but I don't recall his being especially conservative when he did.

Well I dont think starting out a post calling people on here terrible is really a good way to garner any constructive reply.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 10:47 AM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Wow, could you be more condescending?  

Only if he used words like "ham fisted" or "piss poor" to describe his Murdocks post..

But you already knew that, right?  Wink
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:38 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Well I dont think starting out a post calling people on here terrible is really a good way to garner any constructive reply.

SSF and the people on his side are allowed to use insulting, condescending language all they want.

It is only unacceptable when someone on the other side uses it.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:08 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: His first two sentences are fallacies.  2 for 2 there. 

I like how he talks about people's outrage while also justifying a LAW passed to keep people from handing out water while standing in a purposely designed hours long line to vote. "That's how it should be" fffss. 

Again... no it isn't

It says that people who are there campaigning can't hand out water.

Poll workers still can and still will give you water.

Again, I lived in Georgia for 10 years, voted there so unless you have, you should probably dig deeper.

If you are in line a poll worker who is neutral will bring water down the lines. 

However, people who are pro Democrat or pro Republican come along with bottles of water and use it as an excuse to pressure voters. It sucks.

No part of this law says, you can't have water in line. It says that people trying to push you to vote one way or the other can't hand out water. 

Also, as someone who lived there, after my first time voting in Georgia, I learned to bring a beverage while I waited in line. Which then meant I didn't need to listen to left or right people screaming their nonsense as I enjoyed my cool beverage.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:31 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Well then, as I stated before, it should be quite simple to refute them then, no? 

I don't think I've ever posted in P&R before but I appreciate what you are saying here. I'm not Conservative, I'm not left, I literally view myself as an independent. 

I think both sides have some good ideas and both sides have some horrible ideas, and the problem to me is that you have to go left or right. Neither is correct, I prefer to be objective and in the middle.

Only reason I commented on this topic is because as I said above, I lived in Georgia for 10 years. I know what voting there was like, it sucked. And I remember a Democratic campaign person offering me water and then just berating me for saying I was voting for an independent candidate. 

That shouldn't happen.... Shouldn't have to tell you who I'm voting for anyways, and giving me a bottle of water doesn't give you the right to berate me for my political views.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 12:38 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Well I dont think starting out a post calling people on here terrible is really a good way to garner any constructive reply.

No one is asking you to "call him out".  if you believe his statements are incorrect then point out why.  Honestly, your first post in this regard is far more of a "calling out" then a measured reply to his points would be. 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 03:51 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I don't think I've ever posted in P&R before but I appreciate what you are saying here. I'm not Conservative, I'm not left, I literally view myself as an independent. 

I think both sides have some good ideas and both sides have some horrible ideas, and the problem to me is that you have to go left or right. Neither is correct, I prefer to be objective and in the middle.

Only reason I commented on this topic is because as I said above, I lived in Georgia for 10 years. I know what voting there was like, it sucked. And I remember a Democratic campaign person offering me water and then just berating me for saying I was voting for an independent candidate. 

That shouldn't happen.... Shouldn't have to tell you who I'm voting for anyways, and giving me a bottle of water doesn't give you the right to berate me for my political views.

That's very interesting, nothing like that has happened to me here in CA.  I realize it's anecdotal, but if this type of thing is widespread then the law, in this regard at least, makes perfect sense.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 04:09 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: That's very interesting, nothing like that has happened to me here in CA.  I realize it's anecdotal, but if this type of thing is widespread then the law, in this regard at least, makes perfect sense.

That's all I came here to point out lol. 

It got aggressive at times in the lines waiting to vote. I'm not at all upset I moved back to Cincinnati. Georgia was a strange place to call home for awhile.

Anyways, good to see you again, been awhile since I've been around the old smack section to talk with you. Of course, nothing much to smack with as bad as the Bengals have been.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 04:42 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: That's all I came here to point out lol. 

It got aggressive at times in the lines waiting to vote. I'm not at all upset I moved back to Cincinnati. Georgia was a strange place to call home for awhile.

Anyways, good to see you again, been awhile since I've been around the old smack section to talk with you. Of course, nothing much to smack with as bad as the Bengals have been.

Trust me, being a Steelers fan and watching Tomlin continually shit the bed when it matters is no picnic either.  As to the point you're making, I could be wrong, but I'm reasonably certain that CA doesn't allow anyone to bother you while you're in line to vote, at all.  This part of the GA law, at least, seems like much ado about nothing.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 04:52 PM)Sociopathicsteelerfan Wrote: Trust me, being a Steelers fan and watching Tomlin continually shit the bed when it matters is no picnic either.  As to the point you're making, I could be wrong, but I'm reasonably certain that CA doesn't allow anyone to bother you while you're in line to vote, at all.  This part of the GA law, at least, seems like much ado about nothing.

I really think it is.

But, I'm not a law-maker, I just know what my experience was there. And I know I learned after the first instance to simply come prepared like everyone else with my own beverage.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 03:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Again... no it isn't

Again, I lived in Georgia for 10 years, voted there so unless you have, you should probably dig deeper.

If you are in line a poll worker who is neutral will bring water down the lines. 

However, people who are pro Democrat or pro Republican come along with bottles of water and use it as an excuse to pressure voters. It sucks.

No part of this law says, you can't have water in line. It says that people trying to push you to vote one way or the other can't hand out water. 

Also, as someone who lived there, after my first time voting in Georgia, I learned to bring a beverage while I waited in line. Which then meant I didn't need to listen to left or right people screaming their nonsense as I enjoyed my cool beverage.

You started out by saying that there were more black registered voters than white after the Civil War.  You called it "BS".

Your personal experiences with those handing out water aside you came at the new law from a flawed perspective.  

Then you ignored the vast difference in white and black voter registration as the south passed laws to limit their participation.

What may seem like "common sense" to you and others has been seen as "common sense" for generations in the south to limit black votes.

As to the water provision:

https://www.wcnc.com/article/news/verify/yes-its-illegal-to-give-water-food-to-georgia-voters-in-line-for-polls/507-88b0a0d2-0230-429e-becc-30d37565bcc9

Quote:THE QUESTION:

Is it illegal to hand out water to Georgia voters waiting in line? 

THE ANSWER:
Yes. Under the new legislation, it is illegal for anyone except poll workers to provide food or water to voters in line for polls. According to Eric Segall, Ashe family chair professor of law at Georgia State University College of Law, this means not even friends and family can bring snacks to voters in line. 

WHY ARE WE VERIFYING:
Activists and other public figures have said this aspect of the law could discourage people from voting. 

WHAT WE FOUND:
The law reads: “No person shall solicit votes in any manner or by any means or method...or participate in the giving of any money or gifts, including, but not limited to, food and drink, to an elector.”

The only other state that prohibits the delivery of food and drink during an election in some form is Montana, but specifically if it’s coming from a candidate, political party personnel or volunteers, according to the National Conference of State Legislatures. No other state has such legislation so far. 

But in Georgia, Eric Segall says not even friends or family can now bring them a snack if they’re waiting in a long line. 

“It’s now illegal in Georgia to do that,” he said. 

The new legislation says that poll workers are the only ones authorized to provide voters with food and water. Breaking this is law now punishable by up to a year in prison and a $1000 fine. 

“This prohibition is a part of a number of different prohibitions that make it more difficult to do politicking at the polls,” Segall explained. 

But Segall says it’s very unlikely that this law will be enforced. 

So we can verify this is true: Under the Election Integrity Act of 2021, unless you are a poll worker, it is illegal to give food or water to any Georgia voter waiting in line. What is undetermined is whether anyone will enforce the new rule by leveling jail time or fines. 

That is a "BS" provision.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: That is a "BS" provision.

But.. it isn't.

But, it doesn't matter. I can sit here and tell you exactly how it is, from living there, but nothing will change your mind. No facts, no reality, you just want to be angry and to that I say.. I feel bad for you.

The people who want to be angry about everything all the time, I really feel bad for. There is plenty of terrible things happening in the Country and around the world to be outraged over. But, taking the politics out of handing out water, isn't a bad thing. This means non bias people will hand out water... again, that is a good thing.

Anyways, I'm leaving P&R again. I can't stand talking with people who just have to be outraged and it has to be all the way left or all the way right. People like that are why this Country is falling apart. It can't be far left, and it can't be far right... cause neither is correct.

Reply/Quote
Funny how this has been completely blown out of proportion. Here are the facts as best I can find them.

https://www.politifact.com/factchecks/2021/mar/29/josh-holmes/facts-about-georgias-ban-food-water-giveaways-vote/

This says it's actually only banned within 150 ft. from the polling location. So in theory you could pass out steak dinners if that's what you wanted as long as you were 151 ft. away.

Just more disinformation from the left all the while crying about Fox news doing the same.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: But.. it isn't.

But, it doesn't matter. I can sit here and tell you exactly how it is, from living there, but nothing will change your mind. No facts, no reality, just want to be angry and to that I say.. I feel bad for you.

The people who want to be angry about everything all the time, I really feel bad for. There is plenty of terrible things happening in the Country and around the world to be outraged over. But, taking the politics out of handing out water, isn't a bad thing. This means non bias people will hand out water... again, that is a good thing.

I'm not angry...I just can acknowledge that the law was passed to limit black voters.   This BS about giving out water is just that.

Were you "angry" when you said:

Quote:When the graph starts is what 10 years after the Civil War, so African American turnout was supposedly higher then the white voters at that point???

I find that unlikely at best, total bullshit to try and prove a point more likely. 

Or were you just disagreeing because you didn't believe it.

There are far worse things in this law than the water bit.

FTR I hate getting accosted with note pads and pens and whatever else is being handed out at the polling place I go to.  Hate it.

But if I had to stand in line for hours because the state limited the number of places I could vote and limited the ability to vote by mail at the same time I'd welcome a bottle of water from my family.  

But hey, what do I know since I never lived in Georgia.  Smirk
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:34 PM)GMDino Wrote: I just can acknowledge that the law was passed to limit black voters.  

Because water is more important to one race then the other???

They didn't say hey only give water to whitey... they said only poll workers can hand out water. Oh, by the way the poll workers at my voting site, were nearly all people of color. So.. again, not seeing the racial element to this.

But **** it... can't have a discussion with people who live to be outraged.

Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Because water is more important to one race then the other???

They didn't say hey only give water to whitey... they said only poll workers can hand out water. Oh, by the way the poll workers at my voting site, were nearly all people of color. So.. again, not seeing the racial element to this.

But **** it... can't have a discussion with people who live to be outraged.

No, the entire law.  But if we want to look at average time waiting in line to vote based on color/residence we can do that too if it would make you feel better.

The focus on the water provision is just so much distraction to the overall law and you've either fallen for it or want to push it.  I don't know you so I don't know the answer to that.

But all of this only started because you called the stats in the graph unlikely or BS to "prove a point"...the point being that laws keep getting passed to reduce black voting.  And since the numbers are not BS that kind of takes away from your point about the law.

I mean you can keep getting angry about the water part, that's on you.  I am not outraged or angry.  I'm just calling the law what it is.  You don't have to agree but you should at least be able to say your initial attack on here was based on a bad opinion.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 05:27 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: But, it doesn't matter. I can sit here and tell you exactly how it is, from living there, but nothing will change your mind. No facts, no reality, you just want to be angry and to that I say.. I feel bad for you.

I feel bad for you.  It has been clearly pointed out that you had the facts wrong about blacks registered to vote after the Civil War, but instead of admitting you were wrong you attack the person who corrected you and claim you feel sorry for him.
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 03:46 PM)Murdock2420 Wrote: Again... no it isn't

Again, yes it is. This is irrefutable fact. Punishable by up to a year in jail.

since your biggest complaint it seems is being heckled while in line, you should be for measures making it easier to vote (vote by mail, more polling places) which would then mean shorter lines .... right?? 
Reply/Quote
(04-05-2021, 06:43 PM)TheUberHuber Wrote: Again, yes it is. This is irrefutable fact. Punishable by up to a year in jail.

since your biggest complaint it seems is being heckled while in line, you should be for measures making it easier to vote (vote by mail, more polling places) which would then mean shorter lines .... right?? 

Sigh...

It is punishable if you aren't a poll worker...

Just..... holy ****...

They don't want political groups giving out water to people. You can still bring your own, you can still get it from a poll worker.

Why is it my friends in GA are less outraged then random guys on a message board??? This amazes me.

Reply/Quote