Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ken Riley to the Hall of Fame
(08-17-2022, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to disrespect Riley, but there is no way he should get in before Anderson.

Anderson held the NFL record for most times leading the league in passing (4) for 15 years.

He held the single season completion percentage record for TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS.  Even today when passing numbers are at historical highs only 3 QBs in NFL history have had a single-season completion-percentage higher than Anderson's 70.6 from 1982.  In 1982 the league completion percentage was 56.4.  In 2021 it was 64.8.

Riley was good but he never even sniffed any NFL records, let alone set some that stood for decades.

I get what you're saying, but you might want to rethink Riley's career.

Quote:Riley is tied for fifth on the all-time interceptions list and everyone ahead of him is in the Hall. Charles Woodson tied him and is a first ballot Hall of Famer. Rod Woodson, who played from 1987-2003, is the only one who has passed him in the last four decades with 71.

Didn't he also set the record for most INTs with one team for pure cornerbacks? Hell, even Mel Blount said he should've been enshrined years ago. I think Anderson will make it soon as well.

"Better send those refunds..."

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
we finally honor our team's greats and the HOF voters took notice

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 02:42 PM)Frank Booth Wrote: he's not bashing Riley, he's saying Anderson was more dominant at his position tha Riley

It's not a Riley vs. Anderson thing. 

It's a "why isn't Anderson in the hall of fame" thing. 
[Image: Screenshot-2022-02-02-154836.png]
The boys are just talkin' ball, babyyyy
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's not a Riley vs. Anderson thing. 

he was making a comparison
Reply/Quote
In the reposted quote of the year:
About damn time.

Congrats to his family, may he rest in peace.
Like a teenage girl driving a Ferrari. 
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 02:20 PM)fredtoast Wrote: I don't mean to disrespect Riley, but there is no way he should get in before Anderson.

Anderson held the NFL record for most times leading the league in passing (4) for 15 years.

He held the single season completion percentage record for TWENTY-SEVEN YEARS.  Even today when passing numbers are at historical highs only 3 QBs in NFL history have had a single-season completion-percentage higher than Anderson's 70.6 from 1982.  In 1982 the league completion percentage was 56.4.  In 2021 it was 64.8.

Riley was good but he never even sniffed any NFL records, let alone set some that stood for decades.

Pretty sure Fred won't be asked to give The Rattler's induction speech. 
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

Reply/Quote
Glad to see Riley make it but Anderson should be in too. I remember Klecko and he was very good but nowhere near the player or impact Anderson had.
Maybe next year for Anderson but I just think they didn’t want two of the three to be from the same team.

They both should have been in years ago before they were Senior committee eligible then one of them wouldn’t still be waiting and Riley would have been around to enjoy it. Better late than never but Anderson better get in next year.
Reply/Quote
Glad this finally happened, better late than never.......no doubt the teams success last year, the Jungle to the Hall rallies and the overall push from Bengals fans helped get the "Rattler" to the finish line, just wish he was alive to bask in the glory!
"We have been sentenced to life in the prison that is a Bengals fan and we are going to serve out our time"
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 02:03 PM)pally Wrote: Senior finalists are all but guaranteed to make it through the full committee vote.  Ken Anderson was a semi-finalist this year along with Riley.  

I'll believe it when I see it.  Yes, if Anderson or Riley had played in New York or such a place they would already be in.  It is hard to get in the HOF in any sports from Cincinnati.  Anderson had the 1981 MVP year so that should help.  Riley however was NEVER voted to the Pro Bowl by sports writers who use to control Pro Bowl voting.  So Riley is easily the most under rated Bengal ever to receive Not One Pro Bowl selection his entire career.  However in Sports Illustrated in late 1960's, Dodgers Maury Wills listed the most under rated players in baseball and he had Reds Tony Perez as the most under rated player in baseball.   Even Sparky and Howsom said they under estimated Tony when they traded him.  The HOF could not deny Tony Perez who is one of the top RBI men ever, plus World Championships.   So hopefully Ken Anderson gets in HOF and maybe even Ken Riley who was NEVER given credit by the National Media his entire career, but his lifetime stats are very close to being HOF Worthy.  I'm going to hold off on Willie Anderson and other Bengal HOF talk, because Ken Anderson should go in before any consideration of Willie Anderson. Is Max Montoya in the HOF, and if not, he was on 2 Super Bowl teams with Munoz and Max won Pro Bowl honors with Bengals and Raiders. I would put Montoya in over Big Willie.

The Bengals did NOT WIN Super Bowls, but Munoz is in. I would like to see Ken Anderson get in. I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't think The NFL is that eager to put Cincinnati Bengals in HOF. Chicago didn't win a Super Bowl with Butkus and Sayers in fact they were awful. Now Butkus I can see, but I tell you, had Gale Sayers had that very short career in Cincinnati he would NOT be in HOF, and Chicago helped him get in. What more could Max Montoya do, he is easily one of the best guards in NFL history per his Pro Bowls with Bengals and Raiders and Super Bowls.
1968 Bengal Fan
Reply/Quote
This is pretty awesome. Hope he gets in, along with Kenny. Canton's running out of reasons to keep them out. Another glass ceiling that will be shattered as this franchise finally emerges from the dark days... dark days that had nothing to do with them.
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 06:08 PM)kevin Wrote: I'll believe it when I see it.  Yes, if Anderson or Riley had played in New York or such a place they would already be in.  It is hard to get in the HOF in any sports from Cincinnati.  Anderson had the 1981 MVP year so that should help.  Riley however was NEVER voted to the Pro Bowl by sports writers who use to control Pro Bowl voting.  So Riley is easily the most under rated Bengal ever to receive Not One Pro Bowl selection his entire career.  However in Sports Illustrated in late 1960's, Dodgers Maury Wills listed the most under rated players in baseball and he had Reds Tony Perez as the most under rated player in baseball.   Even Sparky and Howsom said they under estimated Tony when they traded him.  The HOF could not deny Tony Perez who is one of the top RBI men ever, plus World Championships.   So hopefully Ken Anderson gets in HOF and maybe even Ken Riley who was NEVER given credit by the National Media his entire career, but his lifetime stats are very close to being HOF Worthy.  I'm going to hold off on Willie Anderson and other Bengal HOF talk, because Ken Anderson should go in before any consideration of Willie Anderson. Is Max Montoya in the HOF, and if not, he was on 2 Super Bowl teams with Munoz and Max won Pro Bowl honors with Bengals and Raiders. I would put Montoya in over Big Willie.

The Bengals did NOT WIN Super Bowls, but Munoz is in. I would like to see Ken Anderson get in. I'll believe it when I see it. I just don't think The NFL is that eager to put Cincinnati Bengals in HOF. Chicago didn't win a Super Bowl with Butkus and Sayers in fact they were awful. Now Butkus I can see, but I tell you, had Gale Sayers had that very short career in Cincinnati he would NOT be in HOF, and Chicago helped him get in. What more could Max Montoya do, he is easily one of the best guards in NFL history per his Pro Bowls with Bengals and Raiders and Super Bowls.

I feel like you're being being a lil sentimental in your assessment of Montoya and Willie Anderson... To me Willie should've been first ballot. I'm not slighting Max by pointing that out either.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
About ***** time!
Reply/Quote
So does this mean he’s certainly getting in? Or is there another vote that needs to happen?
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:35 PM)StoneTheCrow Wrote: So does this mean he’s certainly getting in? Or is there another vote that needs to happen?

It’s a formality at this point. He’s basically in.

Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 09:47 PM)Nicomo Cosca Wrote: It’s a formality at this point. He’s basically in.

Well then…hell yeah!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 03:42 PM)WeezyBengal Wrote: It's not a Riley vs. Anderson thing. 

Sure but reality is most put Anderson as 2nd best player ever in bemgls history as I do so let people voice their happiness for Riley but their displeasure...
Reply/Quote
I'm late to the thread, but it's great seeing Riley get in.
Reply/Quote
(08-18-2022, 09:45 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: I'm late to the thread, but it's great seeing Riley get in.

Me too

Great to see but should have been in years ago so he could enjoy himself.

Still shocked Gradishar isn't in.
Reply/Quote
Bumb for the Rattler!

This thread should have a sticky!!!
https://twitter.com/JAKEAKAJ24
J24

Jessie Bates left the Bengals and that makes me sad!
Reply/Quote
(08-17-2022, 01:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: He and Concepcion are the reason I always had to have #13 on whatever team I -played.

Speaking thereof, I saw Dave Concepcion at the Reds game last weekend. He looks great for age 74 and he’s still lean and wiry. His English is still awful but fortunately I speak Spanish well enough.
Reply/Quote