Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Kevin Huber Status
Kevin Huber is a free agent? He has been a stable dependable punter, but he is now 36 years old. Has anyone heard the Bengals plan for a replacement? Matt Araiza? He can really kick for distance, no doubt, but there is much more to the game than that. How good is he at placing the punt within the 10? Which round will he be drafted? Huber was a fifth round pick. Will Araiza be there then?
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
36 isn't really old for a punter. Huber doesn't have the huge leg of some punters, but the guy is rock solid, and don't underestimate the job he does as holder on FG's.
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 02:40 PM)Fullrock Wrote: 36 isn't really old for a punter. Huber doesn't have the huge leg of some punters, but the guy is rock solid, and don't underestimate the job he does as holder on FG's.

Why do you think he's not signed? Waiting until after the draft?
Bengals football, hot dogs, apple pie and Chevrolet.
Reply/Quote
On 2/7 they signed Drue Chrisman to a reserve/future contract. I think he's our Punter for the '22 - '23 season. They kept him around on the practice squad most of the season.

I suppose it is possible they draft one in rounds 4-7.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Didn't they have a guy on the practice squad that moved to the Steelers for a while and then back?
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 03:25 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: On 2/7 they signed Drue Chrisman to a reserve/future contract. I think he's our Punter for the '22 - '23 season. They kept him around on the practice squad most of the season.

This was my thought too.
Chrisman got to basically have a year of practice both punting and holding for FGs.

If anything, I would think it'd be an open competition between him and maybe a draft pick. Add Huber into the mix if he re-signs.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 03:23 PM)Phil in BG Wrote: Why do you think he's not signed? Waiting until after the draft?

its odd.    I think if he was looking for a job he would have one. but idk much about every teams punter.

Or teams are waiting till after the draft.

his numbers didnt really drop off last year

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_Huber

Maybe hes hanging it up?
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 03:25 PM)TecmoBengals Wrote: On 2/7 they signed Drue Chrisman to a reserve/future contract. I think he's our Punter for the '22 - '23 season. They kept him around on the practice squad most of the season.

Bengals had Austin Siebert on their roster when they drafted McPherson.

How many UDFAs spend time on multiple teams practice squad their rookie year and then go on to do anything of note in the NFL? Just seems like a high risk low reward gamble if they don't bring in at least real competition.

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 03:25 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Didn't they have a guy on the practice squad that moved to the Steelers for a while and then back?

That's Chrisman

Fueled by the pursuit of greatness.

Reply/Quote
(04-06-2022, 04:32 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Bengals had Austin Siebert on their roster when they drafted McPherson.

How many UDFAs spend time on multiple teams practice squad their rookie year and then go on to do anything of note in the NFL? Just seems like a high risk low reward gamble if they don't bring in at least real competition.

For sure, it's why I mentioned they might draft a punter. I'm not opposed to picking up one of the top two guys with a pick. 
Reply/Quote
Huber will likely cost at least $1 mil more per year than Chrisman or a rookie punter. I believe there were also rumblings about him potentially retiring. I doubt he goes anywhere else, probably Cincy or bust for him if he wants to keep playing which is far from certain.

He was still solid but seems to be falling off lately. He’s putting fewer punts inside the 20 and it seems like the ones he is are a lot closer to the 20 than the 5 where you want them. I’d be fine bringing him back if he comes cheap but I think we are set up perfectly to move on from him now before he drops off even more.

Punter is not a hard spot to judge when you have the guy in your building for a year. The bengals know exactly what they have in Chrisman by now. If they are comfortable with him than we should be too. We could still draft one too but if Drue is up for the challenge and they are confident in him, there is no need.

Seems clear to me they were preparing for Kevin’s retirement by keeping Chrisman around all year. Plus, if Kevin really is Cincy or bust and/or uncertain if he wants to play, he could probably be called in last minute if needed.

Don’t stress over the punter situation. However it works out, we will be solid at worst. And hopefully we aren’t punting much anyway.
Reply/Quote
Fairly sure they are going to go with Drue Chrisman this year. He was on and off the practice squad all year and was signed to a reserve/future contract in February.

༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ    Yeah
Reply/Quote