Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keys to the upcoming season
I will list top 5 things we need to have a successful season.

1 Protection at left tackle. If Ogbuehi proves he isn't going to be the answer is there anyone available yia a trade or de we have a plan b in place.
2 Depending on a kicker to make kicks We got the highest rated kicker in the draft
3 Marvin clock management has been abysmal to say the least. his clock failures has cost us a season worth of wins during his tenure here.
4 Injuries can derail any NFL season depth is an overall concern besides for CB QB and RB
5 Hopefully generate more turnovers defensively. tied for 18th last year isn't going to make it
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 12:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I will list top 5 things we need to have a successful season.

1 Protection at left tackle. If Ogbuehi proves he isn't going to be the answer is there anyone available yia a trade or de we have a plan b in place.
2 Depending on a kicker to make kicks We got the highest rated kicker in the draft
3 Marvin clock management has been abysmal to say the least.  his clock failures has cost us a season worth of wins during his tenure here.
4 Injuries can derail any NFL season  depth is an overall concern besides for CB QB and RB
5 Hopefully generate more turnovers defensively. tied for 18th last year isn't going to make it

Eric Winston or (maybe Jake Fisher) would be who would fill in at LT if Ogbuehi gets hurt or sucks.
Zac Taylor 2019-2020: 6 total wins
Zac Taylor 2021-2022: Double-digit wins each season, plus 5 postseason wins
Patience has paid off!

Sorry for Party Rocking!

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
1.) Health to the team in general. They have good, but not great depth at most positions and paper thin at OT. Health is the #1 key
2.) Mixon being as advertised. A bigger back that can also pick up blitzes and catch balls out of the backfield is a huge win for this club.
3.) Zampese opens up the playbook and involves more than just AJ and Eifert. Hewitt needs targets. Core needs snaps and some chances. Uzomah needs the same. Don't become reliant on a select few. Be the Manning-led Colts....We think your 5th defender is no match for our 5th option.
4.) Marv getting aggressive as head coach. More aggressive blitzing on defense...create turnovers. Keep the hammer down when ahead on offense. Try to score every time you have the ball. No more clock-killing three run drives followed by a punt.
5.) Special teams- If we have a strong place kicker, Huber returns to form, and the speedy new toys shine in coverage and the return game, special teams will put this team over the top.
Reply/Quote

1. Og and Fish need to produce at an average NFL level at the very least.
  2. No paralyzing injuries - especially at O-Line
  3. Ability of Zampeze to make effective in game adjustments
  4. Key new players (including Ross, Mixon, Lawson, WJIII, Vigil, Minter and Billings)  need to produce at a high level
  5. Lewis must let go of the play not to lose philosophy and play aggressively every play.  I don't mean using ridiculously high risk/ low percentage plays.   I mean not taking the foot off the gas but continuing to challenge the opponent's defense.
Reply/Quote
Regular Season:
1. OL
2. OL
3. OL
4. Kicker
5. Health

Post Season:
1. Marvin
2. Lewis
3. Marv
4. Giggles
5. The Head Coach

[Image: jamarr-chase.gif]
Reply/Quote
1. Health
2. Feed Mixon the ball and let him wear defenses down and break big plays
3. Let Dalton go deep to Ross and AJ a few times a game. We have speed on the outside, so keep the defense off-balance for when they load the box to stop Mixon.
4. Maybe the biggest (aside from health), is the offensive line because, while they could be good, it's still a big question mark. Let's hope stability on the line this year allows them to gel and play well. I'm not even looking for an All-Pro line, but just open some holes for Mixon and give Dalton time to throw the ball.
5. Defensive pass rush because it's true that we need to stop the run first, but it's a passing league, and we need to get after the Qb, especially Ben because we need to beat the Steelers to go anywhere.
Reply/Quote
By far it's the elephant in the room, the offensive line,  specifically both tackles. They need to step up their game and I just don't buy Hobson's flavor of the month pretending that OG is preordained to be great.  We need to see it and not just have the web site tell us they're going to be great. 
As far as Marvin goes, well,  he doesn't play the game.  He's got faults like anyone else, but it's the players who have to perform on the field first and foremost. If players aren't performing it doesn't matter who's coaching. If we have a bunch of players not cutting it the greatest coach of all time isn't going to make them great. The players have to be great.  
Sometimes it seems that some of you believe that great coaches could win the super bowl with a bunch of 50 year old women.  No, they have to have great players or all bets are off. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 12:49 PM)Bengalfan4life27c Wrote: I will list top 5 things we need to have a successful season.

3 Marvin clock management has been abysmal to say the least. his clock failures has cost us a season worth of wins during his tenure here.
4 Injuries can derail any NFL season depth is an overall concern besides for CB QB and RB

1. Not sure how many teams are willing to trade away a talented LT, or even a talented backup. This season literally comes down to 2 guys that have to perform OG and Fisher or we are done.

2. Not sure if he was the best Kicker in the draft. Let's just hope he can beat out the guy we have now.

3. We will get the same Marvin we've had in the past. He's not going to turn into BB miraculously in his final season. Expect the same.

4. I hope we make it to the first regular season game without major injuries, or setbacks to players already injured.

5. I actually think our D Line will be a top 10 this year in pressure and sacks.

The only thing, well 2 things I'm hoping for to have success is the O Line and players health. I think if the line performs like a top 15 line and players stay healthy everything else will fall in place.
Reply/Quote
(06-26-2017, 09:07 PM)BFritz21 Wrote: 5.  Defensive pass rush because it's true that we need to stop the run first, but it's a passing league, and we need to get after the Qb, especially Ben because we need to beat the Steelers to go anywhere.

How did I forget pass rush?  Maybe because we haven't had one for a while?  YES!  Willis and Lawson could be a huge upgrade here, and the front four MUST get pressure, especially late in games.  That is why the rotation is so vital. I think Dunlap and Geno are more effective all season if they get some plays off and are replaced with Willis at LDE and Hardison at DT.  No, those players aren't proven, but they need chances and the starters need to be breathing fire in the fourth quarter and the postseason.  

And your point about Piggy is dead on....ditto Brady, in the AFC Championship game  ThumbsUp
Reply/Quote
Not going to add anything. Pretty spot on by everyone already. Except not just getting after Piggy, but putting him out would go along way....
Reply/Quote
(06-27-2017, 11:48 AM)sandwedge Wrote: Not going to add anything. Pretty spot on by everyone already. Except not just getting after Piggy, but putting him out would go along way....

Yeah, but the first time he gets sacked, there will be an NFL documentary about his near-death experience and his heroic rise just to make it back to the sidelines....surely to be followed with raves about his "warrior" mentality on how he took the field the next series.

Post game, Benderella would mope about how the officials let him get tackled with low hits, and how the Bengals defensive players were being mean and tried to hit him in the pee-pee.

Before the next game, where the Bengals ultimately end Big Jen and his band of assbags for the next 20 years, he would make references to how he is a "soldier" and he will always "go to battle" with the guys on his team, when the only real battle Pig Ben will be facing after his career is pants that have an expandable waistline.  
Reply/Quote
(06-28-2017, 09:54 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: Yeah, but the first time he gets sacked, there will be an NFL documentary about his near-death experience and his heroic rise just to make it back to the sidelines....surely to be followed with raves about his "warrior" mentality on how he took the field the next series.

Post game, Benderella would mope about how the officials let him get tackled with low hits, and how the Bengals defensive players were being mean and tried to hit him in the pee-pee.

Before the next game, where the Bengals ultimately end Big Jen and his band of assbags for the next 20 years, he would make references to how he is a "soldier" and he will always "go to battle" with the guys on his team, when the only real battle Pig Ben will be facing after his career is pants that have an expandable waistline.  

That's some funny, but true stuff there!!!  
Reply/Quote
Besides staying healthy...

You guys pretty much nailed it, protecting the passer and opening holes in the run game is the biggest key on Offense.

Getting after the others team's passer is the big one on Defense.

For all we know these things could all happen, if they do we have the weapons on Offense to really do damage.

Adding Billings and Minter was huge for both stopping the run and being tough to pass on on Defense.

ST's should be much faster this year and adding a decent Kicker like others said is also huge.
Reply/Quote
Marvin needs to instill a sense of urgency. This business of being too casual, running out the clock to end the half, etc. It's all got to go. They need to play hard, all the way through the whistle, every down. Even if they take possession with 00.52 left in the half, on their own 20, they need to attack, make the other team stop them from scoring.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2017, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin needs to instill a sense of urgency.  This business of being too casual, running out the clock to end the half, etc.  It's all got to go.  They need to play hard, all the way through the whistle, every down.  Even if they take possession with 00.52 left in the half, on their own 20, they need to attack, make the other team stop them from scoring.

Yup, I am sure that the previous 14 years were just the run-up to him correcting his game management skills and the 15th year is the charm for perfecting his head coaching skills.

Ninja

Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 03:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup, I am sure that the previous 14 years were just the run-up to him correcting his game management skills and the 15th year is the charm for perfecting his head coaching skills.

Ninja

Yeah, that's what is was.  It's all been a trial run, up to this point.  Yeah, a trial run to be competitive in year 15.

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(06-30-2017, 07:04 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Marvin needs to instill a sense of urgency.  This business of being too casual, running out the clock to end the half, etc.  It's all got to go.  They need to play hard, all the way through the whistle, every down.  Even if they take possession with 00.52 left in the half, on their own 20, they need to attack, make the other team stop them from scoring.

(07-01-2017, 03:18 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: Yup, I am sure that the previous 14 years were just the run-up to him correcting his game management skills and the 15th year is the charm for perfecting his head coaching skills.

Ninja

(07-01-2017, 03:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that's what is was.  It's all been a trial run, up to this point.  Yeah, a trial run to be competitive in year 15.

Another key, the team carrying Marv's lame ass.

Hopefully Dalton has more control on Offense this year and Zamp lets him run it much more often,
especially right before the end of the first half. This does nothing but let the other team into the game
cause they already knew we were just gonna run out the clock or take a knee.

Look at the Packers, you never know what they are going to do, with like 15 seconds left. They want to
score even if they get the ball to start the 2nd.
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 03:37 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Another key, the team carrying Marv's lame ass.

Hopefully Dalton has more control on Offense this year and Zamp lets him run it much more often,
especially right before the end of the first half. This does nothing but let the other team into the game
cause they already knew we were just gonna run out the clock or take a knee.

Look at the Packers, you never know what they are going to do, with like 15 seconds left. They want to
score even if they get the ball to start the 2nd.

That's what I'm talking about.  The best way to seize control of the game is to end the half strong, and begin the second half strong. 

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(07-01-2017, 03:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: Yeah, that's what is was.  It's all been a trial run, up to this point.  Yeah, a trial run to be competitive in year 15.

[Image: jon-lovitz-yeah-thats-the-ticket.jpg]

Reply/Quote
O-line, O-line, O-line, O-line

Those are the keys I see.

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote