Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keyshawn Johnson: "Bengals are not at the top of the class in the AFC"
(05-26-2022, 11:06 AM)grampahol Wrote: No they aren't..Real men sit and whine that someone doesn't have as high of an opinion of them as they do of themselves..  Whatever
Who cares that someone may not think of us as the team we are? Having a small penis crisis? 

[Image: bgzpL9F.jpg]

Having a small penis crisis there sonny?

Cigar
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 09:15 AM)TecmoBengals Wrote: ESPN and the big media guys are never going to show us love or spend too much time talking about us. Even if Burrow guides us to a Super Bowl win, Cincinnati just isn't the team that will get a lot of coverage. Fortunately, we live in a world with the internet where we can get Bengals news frequently through other sources than just the big networks.

This stuff doesn't phase me at all. Keyshawn gets paid to make inconsequential hot takes.

they should pair him up with Shart Shcott and have a depressing little party tryig to stay relevant in some way
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 12:26 PM)Whatever Wrote: Some of the national media has a love affair with Burrow.  However, there are a fair number of Ravens/Lamar fanboys that knock Burrow and the Bengals to build up the Ravens and Lamar.  Keyshawn is one, but Marcellus Wiley is probably the worst.  Wiley even left Burrow off of his Top 5 young QB's list and Burrow/Chase off of his Top 5 QB-Receiver combos list.  Of course, Lamar makes both lists 

Who the hell is Lamar's wr that helps him make that list?
Mark Andrews is a TE.

That's definitely a wee bit over cooked
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 01:09 PM)ochocincos Wrote: Lamar Jackson is a good QB if you factor in his running ability.
As a pure passer, he's not a Top 5 guy.

People loved Michael Vick too, but he wasn't really a good passer. Career 56.2% completion.
His threat as a runner is what made him better and also more liked.
Jackson is a better passer than Vick though, so it's understandable why people like him and think he's really good.

I think the reality is there are a lot of good QBs in the Top 15.
Burrow
Mahomes
Herbert
Allen
Stafford
Brady
Rodgers
Watson
Wilson
Murray
Prescott
Jackson

Personally, I would put Lamar in the 11-16 range.  He's been going steadily downhill since his MVP season and even that was just a product of his TD/INT ratio and rushing yards.  His career high for passing yards is still only 3127.  Plus, he's garbage in the postseason with a 68.3 postseason passer rating for his career.  
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 11:13 PM)Mike M (the other one) Wrote: Who the hell is Lamar's wr that helps him make that list?
Mark Andrews is a TE.

That's definitely a wee bit over cooked

He said Lamar-Andrews and then claimed WR wasn't specified. 
Reply/Quote

James Rapein reacted to Keyshawn and has some great takes on it.

Cigar
Reply/Quote
With most of the great QB/WR receivers being broken up this season due to trades and FA, I would put Burrow/Chase in top 2, along with Stafford/Kupp. If you look at tiop 3 WR groups, I don't see any as good as the Bengals.
Reply/Quote
I don't really watch Keyshawn much, but he's a blithering idiot, isn't he? "Some of their close games could have gone the other way?" That's EVERY NFL game that's not a blow out. Rapien did a good job calling him out.
Reply/Quote
(05-26-2022, 01:00 PM)TheLeonardLeap Wrote: If you want annual respect, you need annual success. One year isn't going to do it. That's not a bias or a hot take, that's just reasonable. I think the Bengals will win some games again this year and go to the playoffs again, but I also thought that in 2006 and 2010, but those previous years turned out to just be flashes in the pan.

That is it, exactly.  Some of our fans act like we're coming off of some 20 year Patriots like dynasty of success or something, when in reality, other than last year, all we've really had to get happy about over the past 30+ years is a little 5 year run near the top of mediocrity back in Marvin Lewis' peak years.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
Funny how these threads go straight back to penis jokes, even without a certain poster's obsession with Andy's "Magnificent Manhood"
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 09:02 AM)Sled21 Wrote: I don't really watch Keyshawn much, but he's a blithering idiot, isn't he? "Some of their close games could have gone the other way?" That's EVERY NFL game that's not a blow out. Rapien did a good job calling him out.

Yep

I always hate the we were close arguement. 5 of our loses were by 6 points or less.

Every team in the NFL has 5 loses by 6 points or less every season.
Reply/Quote
I know I know, I am a die hard Bengals fan but....

I just don't understand even dips like Keyshawn doubting this team after late last season and after we finally got our first
Playoff win. Guess what? After that, it was all gravy and we went on to win our first road Playoff win ever and go into KC
and win the AFC Championship. Youngest team ever in the Super Bowl and we were one play away from winning BTW.

All of this with a shitty Offensive Line that we significantly improved.

We are going to be better this season no matter how much teams are studying us. Go ahead, study that team last season.

That was a team that had fight and could beat anybody in close games. This team should be able to run the ball and protect
Joe Burrow and the Defense can stop the run and get after the passer. The Bills are the only team that scares me a touch
and we beat the team TWICE that they couldn't.
Reply/Quote
It's the Bengals. And quite honestly, I would agree with him if it wasn't for the talent and depth on the roster. Did we "sneak" up on people? Maybe, but it's not like we did it with smoke and mirrors - this roster has plenty of top end talent and that's the reason they could very easily make it back to the Super Bowl:

Burrow, Mixon, Chase, Higgins, Boyd, Collins, Cappa, Karras, Reader, Hendrickson, Bates and Wilson are all guys that could start just about anywhere.

Couple that with the middle of the roster - Jonah, Hurst, Hill, Chido, Hilton, Bell, Pratt and you have a roster that has very few, if any holes on it.

This team reminds me a ton of the 2015 team where they had talent everywhere, just not a clutch QB. Well, now we have the clutch QB.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 09:56 AM)SunsetBengal Wrote: That is it, exactly.  Some of our fans act like we're coming off of some 20 year Patriots like dynasty of success or something, when in reality, other than last year, all we've really had to get happy about over the past 30+ years is a little 5 year run near the top of mediocrity back in Marvin Lewis' peak years.

I think that's fair to a point, but I also don't think the standards are necessarily the same when it comes to different franchises.

The Chargers are a trendy pick pretty much every year, and they never live up to expectations.  

The Ravens have won a pair of SB's this century, but they are also 1-3 in the playoffs during the Lamar Jackson era.  They have missed the playoffs 5 out of 9 seasons since their last SB win and have only 2 playoff wins in that span.  

The Steelers have also won a pair of SB's this century and Tomlin has never finished below .500 in the regular season, but they haven't won a playoff game since '16 and Tomlin has a losing record in the playoffs.  

The Dolphins and Raiders haven't won a playoff game since '00 and '02 respectively.  Cleveland has one playoff win since returning to the league in the late '90's.  Denver hasn't won a playoff game since '15.  
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 12:35 PM)Whatever Wrote: I think that's fair to a point, but I also don't think the standards are necessarily the same when it comes to different franchises.

The Chargers are a trendy pick pretty much every year, and they never live up to expectations.  

The Ravens have won a pair of SB's this century, but they are also 1-3 in the playoffs during the Lamar Jackson era.  They have missed the playoffs 5 out of 9 seasons since their last SB win and have only 2 playoff wins in that span.  

The Steelers have also won a pair of SB's this century and Tomlin has never finished below .500 in the regular season, but they haven't won a playoff game since '16 and Tomlin has a losing record in the playoffs.  

The Dolphins and Raiders haven't won a playoff game since '00 and '02 respectively.  Cleveland has one playoff win since returning to the league in the late '90's.  Denver hasn't won a playoff game since '15.  

To bolded, that is why I used an extreme example like the Patriots to make my point that the Bengals haven't enjoyed enough sustained success required to demand respect across the pundit community.  In most people's eyes, the Bengals simply had a fluke hot run that landed them in the Superbowl.  Now, if they back it up with another strong season and advance in the playoffs?  Then they should command a bit more respect in the sporting world.

As for the rest of your post, that is a great list of examples, but you never really wound up to any conclusion from it.  Was there something else that you wanted to add?

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded, that is why I used an extreme example like the Patriots to make my point that the Bengals haven't enjoyed enough sustained success required to demand respect across the pundit community.  In most people's eyes, the Bengals simply had a fluke hot run that landed them in the Superbowl.  Now, if they back it up with another strong season and advance in the playoffs?  Then they should command a bit more respect in the sporting world.

As for the rest of your post, that is a great list of examples, but you never really wound up to any conclusion from it.  Was there something else that you wanted to add?

Right on.

And many things have contributed to the Bengals bad reputation among the pundits over the years/decades. The dark age of the 90's and early 00's. Mike Brown's cheapness, a good bit of it was deserved. Mike Brown's swimming against the NFL tide in general on many issues.

Many ML lead teams getting embarrassed regularly in prime time. Marvin Lewis being owned by the Steelers for a decade and a half. All of Marvin's one and dones. Taking many players with checkered pasts. The what was it 06 ? Where we had so many bad headlines off the field. Just on and on.

If we were winning more a lot of that would get overlooked. But when you put out losing season after losing season it gets magnified. You just can't erase that in one foul swoop.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 02:00 PM)bengalfan74 Wrote: Right on.

And many things have contributed to the Bengals bad reputation among the pundits over the years/decades. The dark age of the 90's and early 00's. Mike Brown's cheapness, a good bit of it was deserved. Mike Brown's swimming against the NFL tide in general on many issues.

Many ML lead teams getting embarrassed regularly in prime time. Marvin Lewis being owned by the Steelers for a decade and a half. All of Marvin's one and dones. Taking many players with checkered pasts. The what was it 06 ? Where we had so many bad headlines off the field. Just on and on.

If we were winning more a lot of that would get overlooked. But when you put out losing season after losing season it gets magnified. You just can't erase that in one foul swoop.
Yeah that was 06 with all the arrests. They've only recently stopped talking about it as if it happened every year that followed.
I'm gonna break every record they've got. I'm tellin' you right now. I don't know how I'm gonna do it, but it's goin' to get done.

- Ja'Marr Chase 
  April 2021
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 01:29 PM)SunsetBengal Wrote: To bolded, that is why I used an extreme example like the Patriots to make my point that the Bengals haven't enjoyed enough sustained success required to demand respect across the pundit community.  In most people's eyes, the Bengals simply had a fluke hot run that landed them in the Superbowl.  Now, if they back it up with another strong season and advance in the playoffs?  Then they should command a bit more respect in the sporting world.

The ignoring our youth kind of makes me scratch my head though. We were the youngest team to ever reach the Super Bowl.

I find this fact to be hard to ignore. We have a young HC too, one of the youngest in the NFL who likes to get Captains in the 
Draft. It is a culture change regardless of what Fred says. This is a new day, nothing like the days of the 90's and the Marv years.

Zac Taylor and Joe Burrow are 3-1 in the Postseason and have won our first two road Playoff games in our entire history.

We also got younger in the Offseason, if we go back to the Super Bowl we will break our own record lol
Reply/Quote

Except we pretty much had winning season after winning season from 2009-2015.  The reality is that for some reason the Bengals are constantly pegged as a poor franchise that has a top 5 pick year after year.  It's not the case, and it hasn't been that way for over 10 years.
Reply/Quote
(05-27-2022, 03:02 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Except we pretty much had winning season after winning season from 2009-2015.  The reality is that for some reason the Bengals are constantly pegged as a poor franchise that has a top 5 pick year after year.  It's not the case, and it hasn't been that way for over 10 years.

Winning regular seasons doesn't move the bar much to outsiders. It takes playoff success and even winning the Super Bowl.

If the ______________ insert team of your choice here besides Bengals/AFCN has 5 winning seasons in a row and is one and done every time in playoffs and mostly looks like they didn't belong anyways are you gonna pencil them in as Champions next season ?
Reply/Quote