Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Keystone pipeline springs leak in South Dakota
(04-08-2016, 03:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: There was a time when we didn't care what the rest of the world did...we were innovators.

But then there was a time when we didn't put profit in front of people and greed in front of new ideas.

Time marches on I guess.

We've always cared what the rest of the world did.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(04-08-2016, 03:50 PM)GMDino Wrote: There was a time when we didn't care what the rest of the world did...we were innovators.

But then there was a time when we didn't put profit in front of people and greed in front of new ideas.

Time marches on I guess.

New ideas come along for profit. Do it faster or better or cheaper. Companies do those things for profit
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-08-2016, 03:53 PM)bfine32 Wrote: We've always cared what the rest of the world did.

The world cared what we did...

(04-08-2016, 07:12 PM)michaelsean Wrote: New ideas come along for profit.  Do it faster or better or cheaper.  Companies do those things for profit

And that's the problem...can't break even...gotta make money!  If I could solve the world's energy dependence on oil I'd give the idea away.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(04-08-2016, 08:58 PM)GMDino Wrote: The world cared what we did...

And that's the problem...can't break even...gotta make money!  If I could solve the world's energy dependence on oil I'd give the idea away.

Who runs a company to break even? You'd give the idea away after spending billions discovering it? Well you should go raise money and get on it. Make sure you tell potential investors you are hoping to break even.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(04-08-2016, 10:23 PM)michaelsean Wrote: Who runs a company to break even?  You'd give the idea away after spending billions discovering it?  Well you should go raise money and get on it.  Make sure you tell potential investors you are hoping to break even.

Absolutely I would.

If we'd start caring more about helping each other get through this brief time we share on the planet and less time worrying about he dies witht he most money we'd ALL be better off.

But I'm not crazy.  I know that won't happen.  Money is the new god.  Got a medicine that can help save lives?  Better make back that investment or screw the people who need it!  
(04-08-2016, 10:35 PM)GMDino Wrote: Absolutely I would.

If we'd start caring more about helping each other get through this brief time we share on the planet and less time worrying about he dies witht he most money we'd ALL be better off.

But I'm not crazy.  I know that won't happen.  Money is the new god.  Got a medicine that can help save lives?  Better make back that investment or screw the people who need it!  

When was this golden age you are speaking of?

(04-08-2016, 10:49 PM)michaelsean Wrote: When was this golden age you are speaking of?

Sadly we are far away from it.  We were probably never as close as we could have been.
http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html?adkey=bn

Quote:A total of 210,000 gallons of oil leaked Thursday from the Keystone Pipeline in Marshall County, South Dakota, the pipeline's operator, TransCanada, said.

Crews shut down the pipeline Thursday morning and officials are investigating the cause of the leak, which occurred about 3 miles southeast of the town of Amherst, said Brian Walsh, a spokesman for the state's Department of Environment and Natural Resources.

This is the largest Keystone oil spill to date in South Dakota, Walsh said.

"It is a below-ground pipeline but some oil has surfaced above ground to the grass," Walsh said. "It will be a few days until they can excavate and get in borings to see if there is groundwater contamination."

There were no initial reports of the oil spill affecting waterways, water systems or wildlife, he said.

TransCanada said it was working with state and federal agencies.

"The safety of the public and environment are our top priorities and we will continue to provide updates as they become available," the company said.

The sections of pipeline affected stretch from Hardisty, Alberta, to Cushing, Oklahoma, and to Wood River, Illinois, the company said.

Environmental activist group Greenpeace said the spill shows another section of the pipeline in Nebraska should not be approved.

"The Nebraska Public Service Commission needs to take a close look at this spill," said Rachel Rye Butler of Greenpeace. "A permit approval allowing Canadian oil company TransCanada to build Keystone XL is a thumbs-up to likely spills in the future."
Oil gonna spill, haters gonna hate.
Think of all the jobs that would be created cleaning up that spill
(11-17-2017, 01:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Think of all the jobs that would be created cleaning up that spill

What's the point of creating jobs when only lazy people who choose to not work don't have jobs?  Answer THAT and stay fashionable!
(11-17-2017, 01:45 PM)Nately120 Wrote: What's the point of creating jobs when only lazy people who choose to not work don't have jobs?  Answer THAT and stay fashionable!

Its called work visas. The job creator prez knows whats up. Maybe we can give some to the russians to clean up the mess caused by the pipe they built.
(11-17-2017, 01:56 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Its called work visas. The job creator prez knows whats up. Maybe we can give some to the russians to clean up the mess caused by the pipe they built.

The prez has the highest of morals.  He's only looking out for the best interests of this country and only thinks about creating a better tomorrow for future generations.  I mean, why would he care about the here and now?  He's practically on his death bed.  But that doesn't affect his judgement at all.

HIGHEST OF MORALS
(11-17-2017, 01:39 PM)NATI BENGALS Wrote: Think of all the jobs that would be created cleaning up that spill

Cleanup has been outsourced to a Canadian firm. Official word from the White House: “you can’t find anyone to do it. It’s what all the major polluters do to cleanup. They faxed us their info.”
(11-17-2017, 05:45 PM)Benton Wrote: Cleanup has been outsourced to a Canadian firm. Official word from the White House: “you can’t find anyone to do it. It’s what all the major polluters do to cleanup. They faxed us their info.”

Must have actually listed a fax number this time.
(11-16-2017, 10:00 PM)GMDino Wrote: http://www.cnn.com/2017/11/16/us/keystone-pipeline-leak/index.html?adkey=bn

When can we expect liberals to gather, hold hands and sing kumbaya?
...like they did in Florida after the Gulf spill?

Wasn't the world as we knew it supposed to end?
I know it's been a weird weekend with the Bengals winning against Denver and all, but please keep it from being personal.
(11-20-2017, 11:43 AM)Benton Wrote: I know it's been a weird weekend with the Bengals winning against Denver and all, but please keep it from being personal.

101 yard INT return...no TD. (Or however long. NFL stopped counting when he fumbled.)

Nothing weird about that at all.   Mellow
(11-20-2017, 10:58 AM)Vlad Wrote: When can we expect liberals to gather, hold hands and sing kumbaya?
...like they did in Florida after the Gulf spill?

Wasn't the world as we knew it supposed to end?

My father fought for this country and it's tantamount to spitting in his cremains when people dump oil all over this great land.  But hey whatever, let's just destroy this country we claim to love so much.  Maybe when Muslims start poisoning our land/air/water the right-wing will realize it isn't just business as usual.
(11-20-2017, 09:32 PM)Nately120 Wrote: My father fought for this country and it's tantamount to spitting in his cremains when people dump oil all over this great land.  But hey whatever, let's just destroy this country we claim to love so much.  Maybe when Muslims start poisoning our land/air/water the right-wing will realize it isn't just business as usual.

That's actually an interesting argument I've heard before for the need to expand drilling in the US, that it fights Islam. The thinking went something like: the more oil North America can produce, the fewer dollars the Middle East can produce, strengthening one religion and harming the other.