Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Helmet Rule revised
They met today, basically don't expect it to get called in the regular season except in the most egregious infractions. They said the refs were only getting it right 75% of the time, and most other calls supposedly have a 97% or thereabouts correct call rate.  I suspect they just wanted it called a lot in preseason to instill it in players minds. Also, no replay on the call......
Reply/Quote
If they kept that rule intact, it would spell disaster for the game...

I understand player safety, but that rule was ridiculous.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
Yup, now "incidental helmet to helmet or facemask" is not supposed to be flagged.
Reply/Quote
Now they need a new rule that combines the catch/no-catch and the helmet rule to add a cherry to the *********** rule cake this league now is.
Fredtoast + Ignore = Forum bliss

Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 01:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They met today, basically don't expect it to get called in the regular season except in the most egregious infractions. They said the refs were only getting it right 75% of the time, and most other calls supposedly have a 97% or thereabouts correct call rate.  I suspect they just wanted it called a lot in preseason to instill it in players minds. Also, no replay on the call......

it will be used to influence the games the way the NFL wants them to go and wont be called right most of the time... I'm pretty sure of it.

Hell they still don't know what a catch is.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 01:58 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yup, now "incidental helmet to helmet or facemask" is not supposed to be flagged.

incidental being up to the refs.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 06:14 PM)XenoMorph Wrote: incidental being up to the refs.

Yep, I agree with you on all counts. This is another way the refs can ensure Stooler wins..... if a Stooler lowers his head, it will be incidental. If anyone else does it to a stool, it will be flagrant.
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 01:48 PM)Sled21 Wrote: They met today, basically don't expect it to get called in the regular season except in the most egregious infractions. They said the refs were only getting it right 75% of the time, and most other calls supposedly have a 97% or thereabouts correct call rate.  I suspect they just wanted it called a lot in preseason to instill it in players minds. Also, no replay on the call......

As a fan of contact football, I'm thrilled to read this news.  However, the part about no replay on the calls is a bit disturbing.  That leaves a lot of room for judgement calls at "opportune moments".  

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
(08-23-2018, 07:02 PM)Sled21 Wrote: Yep, I agree with you on all counts. This is another way the refs can ensure Stooler wins..... if a Stooler lowers his head, it will be incidental. If anyone else does it to a stool, it will be flagrant.

Guaranteed 

The water tastes funny when you're far from your home,
yet it's only the thirsty that hunger to roam. 
          Roam the Jungle !
Reply/Quote
Since betting has become legal, this referee discretion is gonna kill the sport and Vegas as we know it.
Reply/Quote
The rule is a joke and nfl is getting ridiculous inforcing rules that are almost physically impossible to follow. I understand that spearing another player with your helmet is and should be illegal. The part of leading with your shoulder and not your head is hard to do because news flash your head is attached to your shoulder ! And how do you tackle a 5’10 running back who lowers his shoulder without making some kind of incidental contact with his helmet. Plus all the calls they have made this preseason aren’t fouls in my opinion. I’ve attached a few videos of some of the calls being made.

https://mobile.twitter.com/RealMikeRob/status/1030867893762682881/video/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/tesslersports/status/1031195458964807681

https://mobile.twitter.com/fearthe_beard11/status/1030279193471279104
Reply/Quote
The thing that makes this rule so stupid is that it was already a personal foul to lead with the crown of the helmet...
I have the Heart of a Lion! I also have a massive fine and a lifetime ban from the Pittsburgh Zoo...

Reply/Quote
My only hope for a fair game by the refs this year is we got rid of 4 dirty refs last year I hope this sends a message to the rest of the refs that their jobs are on the line too.
Reply/Quote
(08-24-2018, 01:27 AM)Bengalitis Wrote: Since betting has become legal, this referee discretion is gonna kill the sport and Vegas as we know it.

That's one thing you can't help but wonder ? How is gambling going to effect the game ? How will it effect how calls like this with a ton of grey area be called.

Hell there will probably be two dozen times each game this could be called. Will it rear it's ugly head late in games when the NFL darlings are losing ?
Reply/Quote
Glad to hear we are not playing flag football yet. I would gladly like to see some contact. I understand the head injuries, but it comes with the game.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
It was always going to happen like this. Every pre-season they have a rule that they call too much and then pull way back as soon as week one starts.

I don't mind that they are trying to clean some of this up, both for player safety and the fact that player going for big knock out blows all of the time has made defenses worse with guys blinding hurling themselves around. 
Reply/Quote