Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicker addressed....
(01-26-2017, 04:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bullock used up the 5m we saved for injury last year (unless I'm missing a free agent we had to sign), so you may be on to something.

Funny how they set aside 5m for injury but never really sign anyone mid season to cost that much. Keep that in mind when we get our annual Hobspin cap space article.

Ah yes... the old "injury pool".  Because so many guys who are sitting on their couch in November are going to command a multi million per year salary Ninja
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 02:06 PM)wolfkaosaun Wrote: I'm fine with it. Give some competition and it's all good. I think Bullock did a decent job here.

Sure. He missed the FG against the Texans, but other than that he was completely fine.

Bullock had the chance to stick it in the craw of the team that cut him and he blew it.  He'll fit in just fine around here.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
I have no issue with them bringing Bullock back, but I'm hoping we bring in another serious contender to challenge him.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll have what he's having....with a side of a gamebreaker at RB, and bidding Hill adieu.

Hmm...I like the side, and I'd like a Cook to make it.

Cool
The training, nutrition, medicine, fitness, playbooks and rules evolve. The athlete does not.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 01:54 PM)CageTheBengal Wrote: According to Bengals.com we are looking to bring in a rookie or another vet and have the first real kicking competition since Nugent joined.

I hope so. Is the Seahawks kicker a FA?
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:41 PM)Derrick Wrote: I hope so. Is the Seahawks kicker a FA?

Yes. Hauschka made almost 90% of his field goals this year. However, he struggled with PATs and missed 6.
You can always trust an dishonest man to be dishonest. Honestly, it's the honest ones you have to look out for.
"Winning makes believers of us all"-Paul Brown
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 05:45 PM)Bengal Dude Wrote: Yes. Hauschka made almost 90% of his field goals this year. However, he struggled with PATs and missed 6.

Yikes his PAT stats are Nuge-like. Sad
Reply/Quote
Didnt they run a hard count that Bullock didnt know about? I seem to recall he started to move before they actually snapped the ball and that threw his rhythm off. I'm willing to give him a pass for that miss, but after the first game he costs the Bengals in 2017 I'd expect them to move on. Or if he gets beat out in camp, I'm ok with that too. But I have to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point that the reason for the miss was because he wasnt familiar with the team.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 04:24 PM)jj22 Wrote: Bullock used up the 5m we saved for injury last year (unless I'm missing a free agent we had to sign), so you may be on to something.

Funny how they set aside 5m for injury but never really sign anyone mid season to cost that much. Keep that in mind when we get our annual Hobspin cap space article.

He works for the man so he won't be biting the hand that feeds him.  Everything he writes must be taken with a few grains of salt.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 06:22 PM)jcfreeman0 Wrote: Didnt they run a hard count that Bullock didnt know about? I seem to recall he started to move before they actually snapped the ball and that through his rhythm off. I'm willing to give him a pass for that miss, but after the first game he costs the Bengals in 2017 I'd expect them to move on. Or if he gets beat out in camp, I'm ok with that too. But I have to give him the benefit of the doubt at this point that the reason for the miss was because he wasnt familiar with the team.

Plus, in a season already long gone, as others have said, he gave us a significantly better draft spot by missing.
“Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I’m not sure about the universe.” ― Albert Einstein

http://www.reverbnation.com/leftyohio  singersongwriterrocknroll

Reply/Quote
Three games played. Directly responsible for one loss. Seems like someone you should prioritize resigning.

That is the first thing we look for in a kicker. Can he choke in crucial situations? Bullock impressed with his job interview by choking on a game winner that had personal meaning. Second thing they look for in a kicker. Was the guy a street free agent at one point because he was not good enough to be the kicker of one of the other 31 teams? You betcha.

Kicker problem solved.
Reply/Quote
(01-26-2017, 02:25 PM)Wyche Wrote: I'll have what he's having....with a side of a gamebreaker at RB, and bidding Hill adieu.

Sign me up for a helping ! Plus the more I see on Cook the more I want him at RB - bad !

To the OP, I'm not sold on Bullock either. But if the story about the delayed snap timing is true, to avoid the timing the count for the jump over, and he wasn't hip to the fact I guess I can give him a pass on that ?

But like others have said I hope he isn't already a Mike's family member that will be here forever even if he sucks.
Reply/Quote
I'm sure there will be zero competition. None.
Reply/Quote
This past season was an anomaly. It wasn't just Nugent or even Bullock. Kickers from many teams were missing. It probably started at the end of the season prior when the Vikings kicker missed a chip shot that would have advanced them. Maybe it was just a one year thing and kickers will get back to doing what they do best next season, Bullock included.
Reply/Quote
A mediocre move by a mediocre team.
Reply/Quote
I'm confused a little by the move. Why give him a two year deal if you are bringing in guys for a true competition? Give him a one year deal and if he earns the job, extend him.

[Image: bengals08-1-800small.jpg]

Reply/Quote
(01-27-2017, 12:48 AM)Murdock2420 Wrote: I'm confused a little by the move. Why give him a two year deal if you are bringing in guys for a true competition? Give him a one year deal and if he earns the job, extend him.

That's the way it should have gone. I think we made another mistake here. Not saying he can't do the job but I wouldn't ever give a kicker security to suck for a year. On the brighter side, we don't lose a lot if forced to get rid of him.

Reply/Quote
Mike probably got him pretty cheap! It wasn't because he was the best out there! Sad
Reply/Quote
Well, I'll give Bullock a chance. But, on a short string.
Who Dey!  Tiger
Reply/Quote
Zane Gonzalez!
Reply/Quote