Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids Protest thier own Graduation
(05-21-2017, 10:50 PM)Vlad Wrote: I don't believe Harley decided anything. He simply made a statement.

But isn't it liberals/progressives that have always thought of themselves as knowing whats best for the world?

These college kids especially. We all remember how we thought we knew it all when we were college kids.

When liberals/progressives fought to free the slaves, give women the vote, end segregation, and give gays the right to marry, they thought they knew what was best for the world. When conservatives opposed them, they also thought they knew what was best, though in many cases they claimed they were doing God's will, not "Man's" (i.e., not their own).

Every party or political group thinks s/he knows what's best for the world.  And if you don't make your voice heard, it's that other party's vision of the world you'll be stuck with. That is what is at stake in every presidential election.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(05-21-2017, 11:01 PM)Nately120 Wrote: Funny, I hear a lot of older people telling me that I'll "Understand when I'm their age" too.  You'd be surprised how few people in our society wander around admitting that they are morons who know nothing.

Older people are out of touch. The young lack wisdom of age. The educated have been liberally brain-washed. The uneducated are morons. The rural folks are isolated hayseeds who have no concept of living with diversity and those in the urban environment aren't "real America."

Who the hell knows a damn thing?

Pretty much my point. Everybody's so concerned with telling other people what they should be doing with their life, they ignore that fact that it's their life to do with as they please.
(05-21-2017, 10:50 PM)Vlad Wrote: I don't believe Harley decided anything. He simply made a statement.

But isn't it liberals/progressives that have always thought of themselves as knowing whats best for the world?

These college kids especially. We all remember how we thought we knew it all when we were college kids.

He decided they live in a fantasy world, not the real one. Excellent reading comprehension.
(05-21-2017, 11:16 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Pretty much my point. Everybody's so concerned with telling other people what they should be doing with their life, they ignore that fact that it's their life to do with as they please.

It's the "instant argument winner."  Find something you have that your opponent does not, and can't change during the argument and declare that single thing is what gives a person his/her ability to see what is "right" in this situation.  End of argument.

Here is a non-political story that is an example of it.  I'm watching football with 2 friends and my friend's jerkass brother comes in and sits down.  We are talking about football and the NFL and I don't recall what the topic was but he disagreed with what we were saying.  The 3 of us watch more football than him, know more about the other teams than he does, know about the rules and so on and so forth.  He is losing the argument (and we've being diplomatic because he was a nutbag and we didn't want him to even be there, anyways) and eventually he asks rhetorically "Did you guys even play high school football?"

We did not.  He was the only one there who played football in high school.  Keep in mind this is a small town so he was just out there running around with a bunch of white farm boys BUT he then decided that playing high school football was the one single thing that mattered when it came to understanding whatever we were discussing in the NFL.  So he found something he had that we didn't, and that we COULDN'T and (conveniently) declared that THE ultimate measuring stick for NFL knowledge.

This guy was also the only one of us who hunted and he once declared that to be the reason we couldn't talk about military things with him and ever be right, either.  
(05-21-2017, 04:45 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: I'm okay with it. I was not happy with the way DeVos was treated when she was speaking somewhere. The ceremony is an important one and the booing ruins the moment. Turning their backs to the speaker or walking out is a protest move that is acceptable in that situation to me.

This is basically how I look at it. No major disruption and their 'statement' was made. 

(05-21-2017, 06:41 PM)Dill Wrote: Personal choice, I guess. I would not have done it.

I don't like normalizing the Trump regime. And walking out is "resistance." I guess.

But NOT LISTENING is almost always bad.

People should protest the invite--there are plenty of good grounds for that as the Pence/Trump ticket is no friend to learning--or criticize Pence afterwards in the student paper's forum. If they were going to walk out, they should not have shown up. That would have sent a signal to the administration. With them lies the responsibility for the poor choice.

Given Pence's record as governor of Indiana on education, economy, women's rights and other issues, I can understand why a politically active college student in Indiana might become motivated to protest, given the opportunity such as this. Maybe, just maybe these particular students had already heard enough from him. On this I can only guess though. I am thankful that it was done in a quiet and peaceful manner. Having said that, I do agree that listening to him might help them better understand what his future policies may be.
Some say you can place your ear next to his, and hear the ocean ....

[Image: 6QSgU8D.gif?1]
(05-21-2017, 10:45 PM)bfine32 Wrote: No need to count any higher as you were out after the third strike. The rest is just you making a fool of yourself walking back to the dugout.

Now I welcome anyone else that wants to discuss this issue.

Wait...this is baseball?  I thought it was a political message board buried on a sports board?

Weird.

However I'm simply making light of your usual responses since most of us have made it quite clear that we feel non-violent protests are perfectly fine AND that in most cases listening to opposing views is the correct choice in order to understand their argument so you can openly disagree with them.

But since it was another right wing/conservative being protested it was another right/wing conservative who started a thread....same one who complains about every thread about the POTUS.

I'll just "head to the dugout" now and watch the spin.

Play ball!

Cool
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
(05-21-2017, 04:40 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Obviously I think it is petty, but they're just kids.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/video/news/notre-dame-students-walk-out-in-protest-as-pence-gives-commencement-speech/vp-BBBmdGk?ocid=spartanntp

Of course they have s right to do so. Just curious what my more liberal friends in the forum think of this move.

Protesting the protest. Again.

Damn hippies.
So some young adults quietly protested a man who has supported the legal discrimination of people while he goes on about other people being "intolerant".

Yea, I don't see what the issue is.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-21-2017, 11:45 PM)wildcats forever Wrote: This is basically how I look at it. No major disruption and their 'statement' was made. 

Given Pence's record as governor of Indiana on education, economy, women's rights and other issues, I can understand why a politically active college student in Indiana might become motivated to protest, given the opportunity such as this. Maybe, just maybe these particular students had already heard enough from him. On this I can only guess though. I am thankful that it was done in a quiet and peaceful manner. Having said that, I do agree that listening to him might help them better understand what his future policies may be.

"Businesses should be able to deny service to gay people. HEAR ME OUT, I have a good reason for supporting discrimination."
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(05-22-2017, 08:53 AM)BmorePat87 Wrote: "Businesses should be able to deny service to gay people. HEAR ME OUT, I have a good reason for supporting discrimination."

I had this exchange this morning on FB:

Quote:Friend: I have no problem with protests, but there is a time and place for everything. Makes no difference to me what they do. I just feel that they're potentially hurting themselves in this situation. More power to them, but I know that personally, I would look unfavorably at that as an employer. Not their belief, but their actions.

Me: What better time and place than when he is speaking at a gathering of people who did not pay to see him but rather are there to celebrate their own accomplishments?

They've already completed their requirements and have their diplomas. 

Some may even be gay and reject his call for "conversion therapy". for example.

Hell I'd think you would look at it as people willing to stand up for their beliefs, but I doubt future employers will ask if they were one of the ones who walked out rather than here about how God can save them and this country. 

I don't care what they do either. I care that because it was a Republican I have to hear all my "freedom" loving conservative friends condemn people exercising their freedoms. [Image: 1f642.png] (not you...just in general)
http://talkingpointsmemo.com/edblog/a-model-society

Quote:Ross Gushes About Lack of Protesters, “Bad Placards” in Saudi

TWEET
 PIN-IT

[Image: r00vr5dq9cy2ttabuimo-654x362-9cb6862.jpg]

Riccardo Savi/SIPPL Sipa USA

A short time ago on CNBC, Commerce Secretary Wilbur Ross appeared on CNBC to discuss the President’s trip to Saudi Arabia. After raving about a “very bright, very attractive young woman” at a venture capital panel he attended on the trip, Ross noted the absence of any protestors during the visit, in contrast to the situation in the US.

Quote:Ross: I think the other thing that was fascinating to me … there was not a single hint of a protestor anywhere there during the whole time we were there, not one guy with a bad placard, instead …

Quote:Host: But Secretary Ross, that may be but not necessarily because they don’t have those feelings there but because they control people and don’t allow them to to come and express their feelings quite the same as we do here.

Ross: In theory that could be true. But boy there was certainly no sign of it, there was not a single effort at any incursion. There wasn’t anything. The mood was a genuinely good mood. And at the end of the trip, as I was getting back on the plane the security guards from the Saudi side who’d been helping us over the weekend all wanted to pose for a big photo-op. And then they gave me two gigantic bushels of dates, as a present, as a thank you for the trip that we had had. That was a pretty from the heart, very genuine gesture. It really touched me.

Video at the link.
(05-21-2017, 06:48 PM)bfine32 Wrote: IDK, pretty sure they knew Pence was gonna speak before they showed up. Making a scene takes away from an event that others have worked 16+ years to earn. If you dislike the speaker so much, stay home so others can have their day or just sit there and listen.

It's their day as well, and Pence wasn't likely the only speaker. To walk out for one speaker and then come back, nothing unreasonable there.
"A great democracy has got to be progressive, or it will soon cease to be either great or a democracy..." - TR

"The test of our progress is not whether we add more to the abundance of those who have much; it is whether we provide enough for those who have too little." - FDR
(05-22-2017, 12:10 PM)Belsnickel Wrote: It's their day as well, and Pence wasn't likely the only speaker. To walk out for one speaker and then come back, nothing unreasonable there.

As I said I just wanted other's views on it. Not surprised at all which side of the coin they fell on.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-21-2017, 11:04 PM)Dill Wrote: When liberals/progressives fought to free the slaves, give women the vote, end segregation, and give gays the right to marry, they thought they knew what was best for the world. When conservatives opposed them, they also thought they knew what was best, though in many cases they claimed they were doing God's will, not "Man's" (i.e., not their own).

Every party or political group thinks s/he knows what's best for the world.  And if you don't make your voice heard, it's that other party's vision of the world you'll be stuck with. That is what is at stake in every presidential election.

Every political group thinks they know what is best for the world, but those liberal/progressives sure do sound awesome.

Thanks to the Democratic Party for ending slavery and passing of the CRA.
[Image: bfine-guns2.png]

(05-22-2017, 12:47 PM)bfine32 Wrote: As I said I just wanted other's views on it. Not surprised at all which side of the coin they fell on.

Rolleyes

[Image: giphy.gif?response_id=59230a9f2276ad5546e75c86]
(05-22-2017, 12:49 PM)bfine32 Wrote: Every political group thinks they know what is best for the world, but those liberal/progressives sure do sound awesome.

Thanks to the Democratic Party for ending slavery and passing of the CRA.

Ha ha, Democratic party--the party of conservatives in 1865, that's for sure.

Let's get our history straight, Bfine, and thank liberals for all those things people now claim the US stands for, as I did above, ok? 

And that is, yes, AWESOME. :andy:
[Image: 18664689_1843539838990319_14356285381355...e=59A039EB]
(05-21-2017, 10:50 PM)Vlad Wrote: But isn't it liberals/progressives that have always thought of themselves as knowing whats best for the world?

No.  Both sides equally believe they know what is best.
(05-22-2017, 01:03 PM)Dill Wrote: Ha ha, Democratic party--the party of conservatives in 1865, that's for sure.

Let's get our history straight, Bfine, and thank liberals for all those things people now claim the US stands for, as I did above, ok? 

And that is, yes, AWESOME. :andy:

Rep.
I can fully understand them being against Pence for some of his stances, mainly with the lgbtqwert community, as I am against his views on that.

But I read a couple of days ago another reason was because he was against sanctuary cities. I just shook my head on that one, as if being against sanctuary cities is a bad thing.
“Don't give up. Don't ever give up.” - Jimmy V