Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kids?
(10-18-2016, 10:56 AM)Dill Wrote: I was about to agree with all the positive aspects of having children--until I read this.

I feel I am just wasting time after doing what I wanted and perhaps need a purpose and have a lot to offer a child.

That is not where a healthy relationship with a child starts.

Beaker is right. A dog would be a better bet. And as the owner of many dogs over the years, that is not a bad choice at all.
No other being on earth will love you back the way a dog does.  They follow you to the end.

http://www.easyvegan.info/img/brazil-floods-2011-leao-medium.jpg

I am defiantly saying that this is more about me than a child at this point which is horrible, understandable.  I think a dog is the best way to go.  I honestly can't believe that I am choosing a dog here but seem to be the safest bed.  In general most people have children by accident or at least for tax purpose where I come from.  The miracle of life seems to rub off after the first one is born 6months to a year... it appears.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:15 AM)Marlon23 Wrote:   In general most people have children by accident or at least for tax purpose where I come from.  The miracle of life seems to rub off after the first one is born 6 months to a year... it appears.

Yeah, you should definitely never have children
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, you should definitely never have children

That is where I am leaning..  I think I am going through a Midlife Crisis.  How long do these things last!!
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:15 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: I am defiantly saying that this is more about me than a child at this point which is horrible, understandable.  I think a dog is the best way to go.  I honestly can't believe that I am choosing a dog here but seem to be the safest bed.  In general most people have children by accident or at least for tax purpose where I come from.  The miracle of life seems to rub off after the first one is born 6months to a year... it appears.
Dogs ARE great!  Get an Australian Shepard or a German shepherd.

[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 11:41 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: That is where I am leaning..  I think I am going through a Midlife Crisis.  How long do these things last!!

Hey think of it like this, if you do have kids...now you have someone to cut the grass on Sunday's while you watch the games! 

If you plan on starting your own sneaker business it may be wise to have multiple kids, this way you can have your own family sweatshop and really drive up your profits for a bigger television to watch on Sundays....again when your child is cutting the grass!!
Reply/Quote
if you want a dog that's like a kid, get a miniature schnauzer.  (for the record I have a miniature schnauzer and 2 children). At first its' all playing and pooping wherever.  Then both the dog and the kid think they're smarter than you, start getting an attitude and just look at you like you're an idiot 90% of time.

But before you get a dog, you have to think about how much you like you're current lifestyle. Because even if a dog isn't a kid, it still impacts how you do things. Like you said you like(d) to travel. Got to put that dog somewhere. You like going out for the evening? That dog is going to to have to go poop, so you can't be out until 4 in the morning. Having a kid is like that, but to the extreme.

And on a related topic, do people actually not want kids then one day just think "Man! I really need a kid!"? I always wanted kids. I dated a girl when I was 19/20 who didn't want kids, so I knew it wasn't a long term thing. And now over 15 years later, I have kids, she doesn't. And I'm talking about a real 'change of heart' type thing. Not an "I'm bored let's have a kid" type thing.
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 05:18 PM)Donnyho Wrote:  Then both the dog and the kid think they're smarter than you, starting getting an attitude and just look at you like you're an idiot 90% of time.

We'll see how smart that dog thinks she is when you tie her outside to a tree with a "Wizard Of Oz" tornado heading your way and you open up the window and scream to your dog Dorthy, "Guess your gonna go to Oz now you little wiseass mutt!"
Reply/Quote
(10-18-2016, 09:07 AM)Marlon23 Wrote: Now this is going to sound like I am an awful person, but honestly where I come from poor, fighting over money, paid my own way through college, nobody gave me much of anything, I don't understand why most I see on the corner can't do the same thing I did.  Better myself through the years.  Volunteer people who are on crack or heroin, especially in my neighborhood?  Or these people who keep popping out babies, I know people who have 4 kids who are drug addicts are these the people I am supposed to be helping?  If I help anyone it is going to be the elderly.  

If you volunteered to help the elderly I would not describe you as an awful person.  Far from it.

(10-18-2016, 10:56 AM)Dill Wrote: No other being on earth will love you back the way a dog does.  They follow you to the end.

Mine follows me to the fridge.  Beyond that, I have my concerns.

(10-18-2016, 11:36 AM)fredtoast Wrote: Yeah, you should definitely never have children

Seconded. 
“We're 2-7!  What the **** difference does it make?!” - Bruce Coslet
Reply/Quote
(10-17-2016, 05:10 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: I am bored and want something to fill the void.  

Awesome reason to procreate.
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 07:09 PM)Beaker Wrote: Awesome reason to procreate.
Hey, I said it is more of a selfish point of view, but I kinda moved on now, I went to Dairy Queen and got a blizzard, so I feel pretty full. 
Reply/Quote
(10-19-2016, 08:25 PM)Marlon23 Wrote: Hey, I said it is more of a selfish point of view, but I kinda moved on now, I went to Dairy Queen and got a blizzard, so I feel pretty full. 

[Image: 200_s.gif]
Reply/Quote
Having kids isn't a theoretical exercise. You either have them or you don't. Most kids get a bit snotty as teenagers, but they usually grow out of that. There were plenty of times I regreted having mine and a few times I hoped they would end up on milk cartons, but they're grown now and we get along splendidly. I still get on them about dumb shit and they remind me of all the dumb shit I did when they were growing up..
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
I volunteered to help the elderly. My 87 year old dad and his 85 year old birch of a wife lives with me and the Mrs..True,  they're a real pain in the ass, but I love my dad..his wife could go drown in the lake and make my life better..
A few years before this I lived in an old woman's backyard in the shed and took care of her about 8 years till she died from a stroke .. Yes, I lived in a shed. It was ok.. 12x14, insulated and completely wired with internet and ac and heat..  That's where I learned that I actually like myself even if nobody else does.. 
In the immortal words of my old man, "Wait'll you get to be my age!"

Chicago sounds rough to the maker of verse, but the one comfort we have is Cincinnati sounds worse. ~Oliver Wendal Holmes Sr.

Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 01:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: I volunteered to help the elderly. My 87 year old dad and his 85 year old birch of a wife lives with me and the Mrs..True,  they're a real pain in the ass, but I love my dad..his wife could go drown in the lake and make my life better..
A few years before this I lived in an old woman's backyard in the shed and took care of her about 8 years till she died from a stroke .. Yes, I lived in a shed. It was ok.. 12x14, insulated and completely wired with internet and ac and heat..  That's where I learned that I actually like myself even if nobody else does.. 

Thanks.  

LOL the Elderly are funny!! 

You know that is another thing people say well what are you going to do when you get old you wont have any kids to take care of you, well maybe the kid isn't around maybe he moves or he dies or something ya just don't know...  I say he because I am pretty sure I could only produce a Male.  

This shed thing, I thought about doing something like this...  in the back yard for like a get away.  something like a 14x32!  Like these Amish things you see on the side of the roads.  Insulate it wire it the whole 9 yards... maybe a little foundation or some gravel, and put them on some block, run some water and pipes, i think it would be pretty cool.  
Reply/Quote
(10-20-2016, 01:21 AM)grampahol Wrote: I volunteered to help the elderly. My 87 year old dad and his 85 year old birch of a wife lives with me and the Mrs..True,  they're a real pain in the ass, but I love my dad..his wife could go drown in the lake and make my life better..

That's...uh...a lot to unpack here.  Glad things have worked out.  
Reply/Quote