Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Killer Instinct
I think it's pretty well known given the chance the Pats will run up the clock and play aggressive no matter what the score. But really, we never scored in the 4th quarter, and the defense is responsible for 7 of those points. We can't rest on 24 points scored by offense come playoffs. And that is my point. We shut down on offense (run, run, pass, punt) after scoring 24 points on offense in the playoffs and we will get schooled once again. We won't be playing the Rams. The keep the foot on the petal mindset isn't a switch you just flip for playoff games. It's a mindset instilled in the fabric of the team over the course of the season.

Just my opinion.

Without any facts, I do feel like we tend to let up when we get ahead and then when the other team scores we respond. We do respond. But it does seem like we keep games close because we tend to let up when we are up.
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not buying this at all.  When the Patriots have played better teams this year, how close have the games been?

Pittsburgh 28-21
Denver 30-24
Colts 34-27
Giants 27-26
Jets 30-23
Bills 20-13

Sure, they pounded the Cowboys and the Jags, but you make it sound like they have routed every team that they have played, but in reality SEVEN of their games have been decided by 1 score.
Good post and points, this team can beats the*pats*. 
Thanks ExtraRadiohead for the great sig

[Image: SE-KY-Bengal-Sig.png]
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:56 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Not buying this at all.  When the Patriots have played better teams this year, how close have the games been?

Pittsburgh 28-21
Denver 30-24
Colts 34-27
Giants 27-26
Jets 30-23
Bills 20-13

Sure, they pounded the Cowboys and the Jags, but you make it sound like they have routed every team that they have played, but in reality SEVEN of their games have been decided by 1 score.

And the Bills game was a screw job by the refs and the Boys kept it close until half with the Weedcassel monster at QB.

They aren't unbeatable. When they make mistakes you have to pounce and you can't afford to make any.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 01:01 PM)jj22 Wrote: I think it's pretty well known given the chance the Pats will run up the clock and play aggressive no matter what the score. But really, we never scored in the 4th quarter, and the defense is responsible for 7 of those points. We can't rest on 24 points scored by offense come playoffs. And that is my point. We shut down on offense (run, run, pass, punt) after scoring 24 points on offense in the playoffs and we will get schooled once again. We won't be playing the Rams. The keep the foot on the petal mindset isn't a switch you just flip for playoff games. It's a mindset instilled in the fabric of the team over the course of the season.

Just my opinion.

Without any facts, I do feel like we tend to let up when we get ahead and then when the other team scores we respond. We do respond. But it does seem like we keep games close because we tend to let up when we are up.

Tend to agree with you JJ22.  I feel like all the great teams have done this.   They don't slow down till the last 30 seconds of a game.

Don't know if it is intentional or habitual.   But I think the aggressive posture has to be game planned and has to become habitual.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 12:52 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: Explain to me what killer instinct is needed when you are up 31-7.  It was 17-7 at half.  We went up 31-7.  Scoring twice in the 2nd half to take a 24 point lead isn't burying an opponent?  

I would rather see some of the backups get game experience in the 4th quarter.  Lord knows if anyone goes down, it would be much better to see a guy like Paul Dawson come in after having been in some games.

I agree that putting in some of our younger players is a great idea.

I don't think that precludes an aggressive game plan.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 05:09 PM)3wt Wrote: I agree that putting in some of our younger players is a great idea.

I don't think that precludes an aggressive game plan.

I'm not saying go into a prevent offense, but the quickest way for a team that is behind to score is by getting a turnover and a quick TD.  If you are up by 3 touchdowns, there is no point in "staying aggressive" and not burning time off the clock.  I agree that you don't just run the ball up the middle 3 straight times, but you need to bleed the clock and make the other team EARN points.
Reply/Quote
(12-02-2015, 05:13 PM)Hammerstripes Wrote: I'm not saying go into a prevent offense, but the quickest way for a team that is behind to score is by getting a turnover and a quick TD.  If you are up by 3 touchdowns, there is no point in "staying aggressive" and not burning time off the clock.  I agree that you don't just run the ball up the middle 3 straight times, but you need to bleed the clock and make the other team EARN points.

I think we agree.   By aggressive I mean don't go into a prevent offense.  I think we have a history of doing the prevent offense and giving the ball up way too fast.  We don't need to go to low percentage/ high risk plays.  But we tend to do low risk/ low percentage plays.  You have to run an offense not just plays.
Reply/Quote
I saw a little killer instinct yesterday. And I was happy to see it. Can't get use to letting up on either side of the ball. Good to see no late touchdown during prevent defense, good to see Dalton/Hue still being aggressive up by 30.

Quote:"Success doesn’t mean every single move they make is good" ~ Anonymous 
"Let not the dumb have to educate" ~ jj22
Reply/Quote