Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Caitlyn Jenner escapes charges after fatal car crash
Interesting.

No explanation of why yet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/life/people/2015/09/30/prosecutors-decline-to-charge-caitlyn-jenner-in-car-crash/73098200/

Quote:Prosecutors say they have declined to charge Caitlyn Jenner in fatal car crash in California.

"We believed from the start that a thorough and objective investigation would clear Caitlyn of any criminal wrongdoing," said Blair Berk, Jenner's attorney, said in a statement to the Associated Press. "We are heartened the district attorney has agreed that even a misdemeanor charge would be inappropriate. A traffic accident, however devastating and heartbreaking when a life is lost, is not necessarily a criminal matter.

In February, Jenner was hauling an off-road vehicle on a trailer behind her Cadillac Escalade when she steered to avoid cars slowing for a traffic light in front of her on the Pacific Coast Highway in Malibu.

Jenner's SUV rear-ended two cars, pushing the Lexus into oncoming traffic and also hitting a Prius. The Lexus driver, 69-year-old Kim Howe, was killed when her car was struck head-on by a Hummer. Investigators had found that Jenner was driving "unsafe for the prevailing road conditions." She faced up to a year in country jail if convicted of vehicular manslaughter.

The fatal crash occurred months before Caitlyn Jenner's transition.
[Image: giphy.gif]
Your anger and ego will always reveal your true self.
[Image: VGijMZX.gif]
Man, it must be nice to be famous.
Caitlin a Kennedy?

Mellow

I thought investigators said she was on the phone? Is it now 'she wasn't' or 'we can't prove she was'?
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
(09-30-2015, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Man, it must be nice to be famous.

Thought the same.

(09-30-2015, 04:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Caitlin a Kennedy?

Mellow

I thought investigators said she was on the phone? Is it now 'she wasn't' or 'we can't prove she was'?

I don't know.  I'm sure there will be a more in depth article later.
(09-30-2015, 04:12 PM)Benton Wrote: Caitlin a Kennedy?

Mellow

I thought (s)he was running from paparazzi? 
(09-30-2015, 04:26 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I thought (s)he was running from paparazzi? 

Dunno. I really haven't kept up with it. I don't care what she does.
(09-30-2015, 05:43 PM)Benton Wrote: Dunno. I really haven't kept up with it. I don't care what she does.

I mean I only care because a woman was killed
(09-30-2015, 06:11 PM)RoyleRedlegs Wrote: I mean I only care because a woman was killed

Pretty much the same for me. Kind of sad the death is a subhead on most of the stories about Jenner now.
I had been reading for a while that charges were unlikely given the fact that she wasn't breaking the law.
[Image: ulVdgX6.jpg]

(09-30-2015, 04:06 PM)Au165 Wrote: Man, it must be nice to be famous.

It works both ways.

Famous people are sometimes bigger targets for Prosecuting attorneys that want some publicity or private individuals who want to collect some money based on false claims. 

Don't know enough about the Jenner case to know if she got any special treatment.

And the victim's family can still file a "wrongful death" civil action.
I've always been of the opinion that if it is the result of an accident in which you made a mistake in driving, that it really isn't criminal, and it really shouldn't involve jail time. I probably wouldn't feel that way, initially at least, if someone were to kill one of my kids, but we don't make laws on emotion.
“History teaches that grave threats to liberty often come in times of urgency, when constitutional rights seem too extravagant to endure.”-Thurgood Marshall

(10-01-2015, 02:53 PM)michaelsean Wrote: I've always been of the opinion that if it is the result of an accident in which you made a mistake in driving, that it really isn't criminal, and it really shouldn't involve jail time.  I probably wouldn't feel that way, initially at least, if someone were to kill one of my kids, but we don't make laws on emotion.

Fred can correct me if I am wrong, but that's basically the difference between negligence and gross negligence. Was it an accident or the result of a disregard for others?

From what some reports had said, police sources said that it was more of a freak accident that a double read ending resulted in one car going at an angle into oncoming traffic. There were 3 drivers (1st driver, 2nd middle driver (deceased), 3rd-Jenner). Driver 1 came to a stop in the middle of the road and Driver 2 came to a stop in order to avoid rear ending them. Jenner then rear ended driver 2 which caused driver 2 to get pushed into the oncoming SUV. 

I've been in a similar situation. I was driving on the interstate and there was some debris in my lane blocking it, so I had to quickly get over. As soon as I did, the car in front of me came to a complete stop (don't know why, it was 9pm so the highway was empty). I slammed on my brakes and skid into them. The difference was that they were an SUV and I was in a sedan. They looked back at me, saw my car was totaled and sped off. Had it been my Jeep and them in a smaller car, I might have pushed them into the other lane. 

(10-02-2015, 04:07 PM)BmorePat87 Wrote: Fred can correct me if I am wrong, but that's basically the difference between negligence and gross negligence. Was it an accident or the result of a disregard for others?

From what some reports had said, police sources said that it was more of a freak accident that a double read ending resulted in one car going at an angle into oncoming traffic. There were 3 drivers (1st driver, 2nd middle driver (deceased), 3rd-Jenner). Driver 1 came to a stop in the middle of the road and Driver 2 came to a stop in order to avoid rear ending them. Jenner then rear ended driver 2 which caused driver 2 to get pushed into the oncoming SUV. 

I've been in a similar situation. I was driving on the interstate and there was some debris in my lane blocking it, so I had to quickly get over. As soon as I did, the car in front of me came to a complete stop (don't know why, it was 9pm so the highway was empty). I slammed on my brakes and skid into them. The difference was that they were an SUV and I was in a sedan. They looked back at me, saw my car was totaled and sped off. Had it been my Jeep and them in a smaller car, I might have pushed them into the other lane. 

Aren't people wonderful, caring creatures? 
(10-02-2015, 04:17 PM)GMDino Wrote: Aren't people wonderful, caring creatures? 

He must have had something on him because I was technically at fault.