Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kipers 1st mock draft 1st round
Cleveland Browns
Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
Garrett is the top prospect on my Big Board, and he's a premier pass-rushing talent who had 32.5 sacks in three seasons for the Aggies. The Browns are in the beginning stages of a rebuild, and Garrett would be a foundational piece. Keep an eye on a potential trade down from Cleveland, though, as it did last year out of the No. 2 spot. The Browns want to keep acquiring picks. They could also fall in love with one of the talented but green quarterbacks.

San Francisco 49ers

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

This isn't a strong draft for quarterbacks. Trubisky is the best QB in the draft, but he's only No. 16 on my Big Board. He has only one season of collegiate starting experience, completing 68.2 percent of his passes with 30 touchdown passes and six interceptions. The 49ers still don't have a general manager or coach, and Colin Kaepernick could be on his way out.

Chicago Bears

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

Allen, who had 22.5 sacks over the past two seasons, could play defensive end or defensive tackle in the NFL. Positional flexibility is a big selling point, and he'd likely play end in the Bears' 3-4 in this scenario. He was one of the best players in college football in 2016. The Bears had a disappointing 2016 season and have needs across the board, including at quarterback, safety and potentially receiver, depending on what happens with free agent Alshon Jeffery.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Adams is built for today's NFL as a versatile safety who can play in the box effectively, make tackles against the run and move to the edges and track slot receivers. Jacksonville hit on a couple of defenders in the 2016 draft (Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue; Myles Jack is still an unknown), but the Jags need more help.

Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams)

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

One of the stars in the Tigers' national title game win, Williams finished the season with 98 catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns. He's the top wideout in this draft. Marcus Mariota could use a deep threat and chain-mover -- Williams was fifth in the country in 2016 with 60 catches that resulted in first downs.

New York Jets

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

Lattimore is another first-year starter who jumped to the top of my cornerback rankings with a stellar season. A hamstring injury limited his time on the field in Columbus in 2014 and 2015. Speed, size (6-foot-1, 190) -- he has all the traits to be a star. Darrelle Revis could be on his way out with the Jets -- or move to safety -- and Lattimore would slide into his spot on Day 1.

San Diego Chargers

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

This isn't a great class for top-tier blindside protectors, but Robinson is at the top of the list, though I think his best skill -- run-blocking -- means he'd be better as a right tackle at the next level. A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, he's a known commodity in the NFL. The Chargers ranked in the bottom third of the league in rushing (3.8 yards per carry, 97.9 yards per game) in 2016, and tackles Joe Barksdale and King Dunlap have underwhelmed.

Carolina Panthers

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

This is really the first spot I see that could be a good fit for Fournette, barring a trade up. He's a special athlete with an incredible combination of size (6-1, 235), speed and power, but he won't get a grade as high as I gave Ezekiel Elliott last year. Elliott went No. 4 in 2016, but backs have been devalued in recent years -- he was the only back taken in the first round. Jonathan Stewart turns 30 this year and averaged only 3.8 yards per carry in 2016.

Cincinnati Bengals

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Thomas, one of the biggest risers of the year, had eight sacks in 2016. At 6-3, 270, he could move inside and play tackle, too. The Bengals need pass-rushing help -- they had only 33 total sacks in a disappointing 2016 -- and this is a good draft for edge rushers.

Buffalo Bills

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

I'm a believer in franchises with new head coaches starting fresh with new quarterbacks, and it appears likely the Bills move on from Tyrod Taylor after hiring Sean McDermott. That leaves Buffalo with a huge hole and a top-10 pick to fill it. I wrote last week that I didn't think Watson would get a post-title game draft bounce, but I've heard differently from people around the NFL. Though he had an up-and-down season -- and threw 17 interceptions -- Watson is extremely talented. He's the second quarterback off the board in this projection, ahead of Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer.

New Orleans Saints

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Foster is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. At 6-1, 240 pounds, he has stellar range, runs sideline to sideline and is a complete linebacker. He's a terrific blitzer, too, and recorded five sacks in 2016. The Saints need defensive help -- 2015 first-round pick Stephone Anthony played just 127 defensive snaps this season.

Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

After picking Myles Garrett No. 1, this would give the Browns two prospects in the top five of my Big Board. Cook is a speedy home run hitter who rushed for 4,464 yards and had 48 total touchdowns in three seasons for the Seminoles. Cleveland also could look at an offensive lineman, cornerback or linebacker.

Arizona Cardinals

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

Tabor, my No. 2 cornerback, is a playmaker who had eight interceptions -- with three returned for touchdowns -- the past two seasons. Arizona struggled to find a No. 2 corner opposite Patrick Peterson all of 2016, and in Tabor the Cardinals would get a guy who could step in and start on Day 1. Arizona could take a look at a pass-rusher, too, depending on what happens with free agents Calais Campbell and Chandler Jones.

Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota Vikings)

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

That Florida secondary was loaded the past few seasons with Wilson, Tabor and 2016 first-round pick Vernon Hargreaves III. Wilson is right there with Tabor on my board. He's a little bigger (6-1, 213) than Tabor (6-0, 201) and has good ball skills and instincts. This is a spot in which the Eagles need immediate help.

Indianapolis Colts

Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

A dominant speed rusher, McKinley gave Pac-12 offensive tackles nightmares in 2016. He took a big leap as a senior with 10 sacks, going from fringe prospect to first-rounder. At 6-2, 240 pounds, he's not huge, but his explosion off the line is suited for today's NFL. Indianapolis needs playmakers on defense, and McKinley is a great fit.

Baltimore Ravens

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

The Harbaugh connection is interesting here. Who has better intel on Peppers than his college coach, Jim Harbaugh? And Jim's brother, John, is the Ravens' coach. Peppers is a fantastic talent, but he's a tweener and is more of a rover back. He could be an in-the-box safety or linebacker who helps in run support and goes out and covers slot receivers and tight ends. The right team will get creative with him and get a star playmaker.

Washington Redskins

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Hooker was the best center-field-type safety I saw this season -- he has incredible speed and range and was all over the field for the Buckeyes. He had seven interceptions, three of which he returned for touchdowns. Washington could also have a need at wide receiver, even after taking Josh Doctson in the first round last year. Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson are both free agents. Keep an eye on a pass-rusher here, too.

Tennessee Titans

Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

I've mentioned this before, but 2017 could be the year of the third-year sophomore. Humphrey is the fifth such player I listed in the first round. A hamstring injury slowed him down toward the end of the 2016 season, but he's an outstanding prospect with great size (6-1, 196). The Titans have two first-round picks -- I gave them Mike Williams at No. 5 -- and cornerback should be a spot they target.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Charlton plays with good leverage for his height (6-5) and has active hands and an incredible wingspan. I'm curious what he'll measure at the combine. He can play on his feet, too, which means he could fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. The Bucs took Noah Spence in the second round last year, and he improved in their 4-3 as the season progressed (5.5 sacks). Charlton would be a great pick.

Denver Broncos

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

Bolles started only one season for the Utes after coming over from a junior college, but he was tremendous. He has nice feet and can drive defenders off the ball at 6-5, 300 pounds. Denver has to get some help at tackle in order to get back on top of an AFC West that features two games every season against Justin Houston, Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. Russell Okung has a team option at $11.7 million, and Donald Stephenson had a poor first season with the Broncos.

Detroit Lions

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Williams (6-4, 250) is a fantastic pass-rushing talent who can be unblockable at times. He had 19.5 sacks the past two seasons. Williams would have to put on some weight to play end in a 4-3, but his talent is undeniable. The Lions were second to last in sacks in 2016 (26), and Ezekiel Ansah had only two after a breakout 2015 season in which he had 14.5. This is a clear need, especially with few pass-rushers available in free agency.

Miami Dolphins

Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

As a steady and reliable linebacker with a nose for the football, Davis' versatility stands out. He could play inside or outside linebacker at the next level, though he's not a guy who will get 10 sacks on the outside in a 3-4. He can be an every-down guy.

New York Giants

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

Picking another tackle would allow the Giants to move 2015 top-10 pick Ereck Flowers over to the right side -- he struggled in 2016. Ramczyk, who has had an amazing path to the NFL, is a 6-6, 314-pound road grader with all the traits of an NFL starter, but he's not a talent on the level of former Badger Joe Thomas (who is?). New York could also target a pass-rusher or tight end (none are off the board so far).

Oakland Raiders

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

How can a team with Khalil Mack rank last in the league in sacks? That happened this season -- he had 11 and the rest of the defense had 14. McDowell had only 7.5 sacks in his career, but the talent is there to produce much more in the NFL. He's a tremendous athlete with a 6-6, 290-pound frame who is still raw. One position to keep an eye on: running back. Latavius Murray is a free agent, and this class is loaded.

Houston Texans

Budda Baker, S, Washington

Baker, the fourth safety off the board so far, is a dynamic athlete with a small frame -- he's only 5-10, 173. He was a tackling machine for the Huskies, and he had two picks and three sacks in 2016. Quintin Demps is a free agent, and the Texans need to upgrade their defensive backfield.

Seattle Seahawks

Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

The Seahawks like big corners, and Tankersley (6-1, 190) fits their style as a guy who could hold up opposite Richard Sherman, and DeShawn Shead's knee injury opens up a spot. Tankersley had nine interceptions over his last two seasons and was a big part of the Tigers' success. Seattle will be in the market for offensive linemen, too, but I don't have much first-round talent available here at No. 26. There's still a long time until draft day, however.

Kansas City Chiefs

Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

The Chiefs' top pass-catchers in 2016 were a tight end (Travis Kelce) and rookie fifth-round pick who was better known for his return skills (Tyreek Hill). Davis was one of the most productive wideouts in the country during his career at Western Michigan, catching 331 passes for 5,278 yards and 52 touchdowns. He has ideal size (6-2, 212) and length to be a great NFL wideout. Kansas City has an interesting offseason ahead -- it doesn't have a ton of cap room, and it has to find a way to bring back top free agents Eric Berry and Dontari Poe.

Dallas Cowboys

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Jones, a three-year starter for the Huskies, is the sixth corner off the board. At 6-1, 170, he's agile and fast with nice ball skills. He had nine interceptions in his career. Dallas has a glaring need at defensive end, but don't count out a corner here. Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne are free agents.

Green Bay Packers

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

McCaffrey fits what the Packers want on offense. He's versatile like college quarterback-turned-receiver Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery, who switched to running back in 2016. McCaffrey can return kicks, catch the ball out of the backfield -- he's dynamic with the ball in his hands. The Packers have a few needs on defense, but running back Eddie Lacy is a free agent, and they don't have an internal replacement.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

Harris had an up-and-down 2016 with nine sacks and two forced fumbles, but his ceiling his high. In this scenario, Harris (6-3, 255) would be an outside linebacker in the Steelers' 3-4, but he could play end in a 4-3 or even move inside to rush the passer from a tackle spot. Pass-rushers Jarvis Jones (a 2013 first-round pick) and James Harrison (who turns 39 this summer) will be free agents.

Atlanta Falcons

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Barnett (6-3, 265) is the eighth defensive end or outside linebacker to go in my first round -- this is a great class for pass-rushers. He is an all-around defender who beats double-teams and makes plays in the running game, and he's versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4. The light came on for Vic Beasley Jr. in Year 2 in the NFL, but his 15.5 sacks accounted for 45.5 percent of the Falcons' total in 2016. He needs some help.

New England Patriots

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Howard, my top-ranked tight end, had only seven touchdowns in his four-year career, but three came in national title games. The Crimson Tide didn't use Howard (6-6, 250) much in the passing game, and he could be more productive in the NFL. He can stretch the deep middle of the field and be a dynamic weapon. New England's No. 2 tight end, Martellus Bennett, could get a big deal in free agency this offseason, and it's too early to tell how Rob Gronkowski's back injury will heal. Howard would be a great fit.

Found it interesting how low Barnett is. I've personally have been saying he's not worth 9 but didn't think he would fall that fall in any mock.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 12:55 PM)Jpoore Wrote: Cleveland Browns
Myles Garrett, DE, Texas A&M
Garrett is the top prospect on my Big Board, and he's a premier pass-rushing talent who had 32.5 sacks in three seasons for the Aggies. The Browns are in the beginning stages of a rebuild, and Garrett would be a foundational piece. Keep an eye on a potential trade down from Cleveland, though, as it did last year out of the No. 2 spot. The Browns want to keep acquiring picks. They could also fall in love with one of the talented but green quarterbacks.

San Francisco 49ers

Mitch Trubisky, QB, North Carolina

This isn't a strong draft for quarterbacks. Trubisky is the best QB in the draft, but he's only No. 16 on my Big Board. He has only one season of collegiate starting experience, completing 68.2 percent of his passes with 30 touchdown passes and six interceptions. The 49ers still don't have a general manager or coach, and Colin Kaepernick could be on his way out.

Chicago Bears

Jonathan Allen, DL, Alabama

Allen, who had 22.5 sacks over the past two seasons, could play defensive end or defensive tackle in the NFL. Positional flexibility is a big selling point, and he'd likely play end in the Bears' 3-4 in this scenario. He was one of the best players in college football in 2016. The Bears had a disappointing 2016 season and have needs across the board, including at quarterback, safety and potentially receiver, depending on what happens with free agent Alshon Jeffery.

Jacksonville Jaguars

Jamal Adams, S, LSU

Adams is built for today's NFL as a versatile safety who can play in the box effectively, make tackles against the run and move to the edges and track slot receivers. Jacksonville hit on a couple of defenders in the 2016 draft (Jalen Ramsey and Yannick Ngakoue; Myles Jack is still an unknown), but the Jags need more help.

Tennessee Titans (from Los Angeles Rams)

Mike Williams, WR, Clemson

One of the stars in the Tigers' national title game win, Williams finished the season with 98 catches for 1,361 yards and 11 touchdowns. He's the top wideout in this draft. Marcus Mariota could use a deep threat and chain-mover -- Williams was fifth in the country in 2016 with 60 catches that resulted in first downs.

New York Jets

Marshon Lattimore, CB, Ohio State

Lattimore is another first-year starter who jumped to the top of my cornerback rankings with a stellar season. A hamstring injury limited his time on the field in Columbus in 2014 and 2015. Speed, size (6-foot-1, 190) -- he has all the traits to be a star. Darrelle Revis could be on his way out with the Jets -- or move to safety -- and Lattimore would slide into his spot on Day 1.

San Diego Chargers

Cam Robinson, OT, Alabama

This isn't a great class for top-tier blindside protectors, but Robinson is at the top of the list, though I think his best skill -- run-blocking -- means he'd be better as a right tackle at the next level. A three-year starter for the Crimson Tide, he's a known commodity in the NFL. The Chargers ranked in the bottom third of the league in rushing (3.8 yards per carry, 97.9 yards per game) in 2016, and tackles Joe Barksdale and King Dunlap have underwhelmed.

Carolina Panthers

Leonard Fournette, RB, LSU

This is really the first spot I see that could be a good fit for Fournette, barring a trade up. He's a special athlete with an incredible combination of size (6-1, 235), speed and power, but he won't get a grade as high as I gave Ezekiel Elliott last year. Elliott went No. 4 in 2016, but backs have been devalued in recent years -- he was the only back taken in the first round. Jonathan Stewart turns 30 this year and averaged only 3.8 yards per carry in 2016.

Cincinnati Bengals

Solomon Thomas, DE, Stanford

Thomas, one of the biggest risers of the year, had eight sacks in 2016. At 6-3, 270, he could move inside and play tackle, too. The Bengals need pass-rushing help -- they had only 33 total sacks in a disappointing 2016 -- and this is a good draft for edge rushers.

Buffalo Bills

Deshaun Watson, QB, Clemson

I'm a believer in franchises with new head coaches starting fresh with new quarterbacks, and it appears likely the Bills move on from Tyrod Taylor after hiring Sean McDermott. That leaves Buffalo with a huge hole and a top-10 pick to fill it. I wrote last week that I didn't think Watson would get a post-title game draft bounce, but I've heard differently from people around the NFL. Though he had an up-and-down season -- and threw 17 interceptions -- Watson is extremely talented. He's the second quarterback off the board in this projection, ahead of Notre Dame's DeShone Kizer.

New Orleans Saints

Reuben Foster, ILB, Alabama

Foster is one of my favorite prospects in this draft. At 6-1, 240 pounds, he has stellar range, runs sideline to sideline and is a complete linebacker. He's a terrific blitzer, too, and recorded five sacks in 2016. The Saints need defensive help -- 2015 first-round pick Stephone Anthony played just 127 defensive snaps this season.

Cleveland Browns (from Philadelphia Eagles)

Dalvin Cook, RB, Florida State

After picking Myles Garrett No. 1, this would give the Browns two prospects in the top five of my Big Board. Cook is a speedy home run hitter who rushed for 4,464 yards and had 48 total touchdowns in three seasons for the Seminoles. Cleveland also could look at an offensive lineman, cornerback or linebacker.

Arizona Cardinals

Teez Tabor, CB, Florida

Tabor, my No. 2 cornerback, is a playmaker who had eight interceptions -- with three returned for touchdowns -- the past two seasons. Arizona struggled to find a No. 2 corner opposite Patrick Peterson all of 2016, and in Tabor the Cardinals would get a guy who could step in and start on Day 1. Arizona could take a look at a pass-rusher, too, depending on what happens with free agents Calais Campbell and Chandler Jones.

Philadelphia Eagles (from Minnesota Vikings)

Quincy Wilson, CB, Florida

That Florida secondary was loaded the past few seasons with Wilson, Tabor and 2016 first-round pick Vernon Hargreaves III. Wilson is right there with Tabor on my board. He's a little bigger (6-1, 213) than Tabor (6-0, 201) and has good ball skills and instincts. This is a spot in which the Eagles need immediate help.

Indianapolis Colts

Takkarist McKinley, OLB, UCLA

A dominant speed rusher, McKinley gave Pac-12 offensive tackles nightmares in 2016. He took a big leap as a senior with 10 sacks, going from fringe prospect to first-rounder. At 6-2, 240 pounds, he's not huge, but his explosion off the line is suited for today's NFL. Indianapolis needs playmakers on defense, and McKinley is a great fit.

Baltimore Ravens

Jabrill Peppers, S, Michigan

The Harbaugh connection is interesting here. Who has better intel on Peppers than his college coach, Jim Harbaugh? And Jim's brother, John, is the Ravens' coach. Peppers is a fantastic talent, but he's a tweener and is more of a rover back. He could be an in-the-box safety or linebacker who helps in run support and goes out and covers slot receivers and tight ends. The right team will get creative with him and get a star playmaker.

Washington Redskins

Malik Hooker, S, Ohio State

Hooker was the best center-field-type safety I saw this season -- he has incredible speed and range and was all over the field for the Buckeyes. He had seven interceptions, three of which he returned for touchdowns. Washington could also have a need at wide receiver, even after taking Josh Doctson in the first round last year. Pierre Garcon and DeSean Jackson are both free agents. Keep an eye on a pass-rusher here, too.

Tennessee Titans

Marlon Humphrey, CB, Alabama

I've mentioned this before, but 2017 could be the year of the third-year sophomore. Humphrey is the fifth such player I listed in the first round. A hamstring injury slowed him down toward the end of the 2016 season, but he's an outstanding prospect with great size (6-1, 196). The Titans have two first-round picks -- I gave them Mike Williams at No. 5 -- and cornerback should be a spot they target.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Taco Charlton, DE, Michigan

Charlton plays with good leverage for his height (6-5) and has active hands and an incredible wingspan. I'm curious what he'll measure at the combine. He can play on his feet, too, which means he could fit in a 4-3 or 3-4 scheme. The Bucs took Noah Spence in the second round last year, and he improved in their 4-3 as the season progressed (5.5 sacks). Charlton would be a great pick.

Denver Broncos

Garett Bolles, OT, Utah

Bolles started only one season for the Utes after coming over from a junior college, but he was tremendous. He has nice feet and can drive defenders off the ball at 6-5, 300 pounds. Denver has to get some help at tackle in order to get back on top of an AFC West that features two games every season against Justin Houston, Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa. Russell Okung has a team option at $11.7 million, and Donald Stephenson had a poor first season with the Broncos.

Detroit Lions

Tim Williams, OLB, Alabama

Williams (6-4, 250) is a fantastic pass-rushing talent who can be unblockable at times. He had 19.5 sacks the past two seasons. Williams would have to put on some weight to play end in a 4-3, but his talent is undeniable. The Lions were second to last in sacks in 2016 (26), and Ezekiel Ansah had only two after a breakout 2015 season in which he had 14.5. This is a clear need, especially with few pass-rushers available in free agency.

Miami Dolphins

Jarrad Davis, LB, Florida

As a steady and reliable linebacker with a nose for the football, Davis' versatility stands out. He could play inside or outside linebacker at the next level, though he's not a guy who will get 10 sacks on the outside in a 3-4. He can be an every-down guy.

New York Giants

Ryan Ramczyk, OT, Wisconsin

Picking another tackle would allow the Giants to move 2015 top-10 pick Ereck Flowers over to the right side -- he struggled in 2016. Ramczyk, who has had an amazing path to the NFL, is a 6-6, 314-pound road grader with all the traits of an NFL starter, but he's not a talent on the level of former Badger Joe Thomas (who is?). New York could also target a pass-rusher or tight end (none are off the board so far).

Oakland Raiders

Malik McDowell, DT, Michigan State

How can a team with Khalil Mack rank last in the league in sacks? That happened this season -- he had 11 and the rest of the defense had 14. McDowell had only 7.5 sacks in his career, but the talent is there to produce much more in the NFL. He's a tremendous athlete with a 6-6, 290-pound frame who is still raw. One position to keep an eye on: running back. Latavius Murray is a free agent, and this class is loaded.

Houston Texans

Budda Baker, S, Washington

Baker, the fourth safety off the board so far, is a dynamic athlete with a small frame -- he's only 5-10, 173. He was a tackling machine for the Huskies, and he had two picks and three sacks in 2016. Quintin Demps is a free agent, and the Texans need to upgrade their defensive backfield.

Seattle Seahawks

Cordrea Tankersley, CB, Clemson

The Seahawks like big corners, and Tankersley (6-1, 190) fits their style as a guy who could hold up opposite Richard Sherman, and DeShawn Shead's knee injury opens up a spot. Tankersley had nine interceptions over his last two seasons and was a big part of the Tigers' success. Seattle will be in the market for offensive linemen, too, but I don't have much first-round talent available here at No. 26. There's still a long time until draft day, however.

Kansas City Chiefs

Corey Davis, WR, Western Michigan

The Chiefs' top pass-catchers in 2016 were a tight end (Travis Kelce) and rookie fifth-round pick who was better known for his return skills (Tyreek Hill). Davis was one of the most productive wideouts in the country during his career at Western Michigan, catching 331 passes for 5,278 yards and 52 touchdowns. He has ideal size (6-2, 212) and length to be a great NFL wideout. Kansas City has an interesting offseason ahead -- it doesn't have a ton of cap room, and it has to find a way to bring back top free agents Eric Berry and Dontari Poe.

Dallas Cowboys

Sidney Jones, CB, Washington

Jones, a three-year starter for the Huskies, is the sixth corner off the board. At 6-1, 170, he's agile and fast with nice ball skills. He had nine interceptions in his career. Dallas has a glaring need at defensive end, but don't count out a corner here. Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne are free agents.

Green Bay Packers

Christian McCaffrey, RB, Stanford

McCaffrey fits what the Packers want on offense. He's versatile like college quarterback-turned-receiver Randall Cobb and Ty Montgomery, who switched to running back in 2016. McCaffrey can return kicks, catch the ball out of the backfield -- he's dynamic with the ball in his hands. The Packers have a few needs on defense, but running back Eddie Lacy is a free agent, and they don't have an internal replacement.

Pittsburgh Steelers

Charles Harris, OLB, Missouri

Harris had an up-and-down 2016 with nine sacks and two forced fumbles, but his ceiling his high. In this scenario, Harris (6-3, 255) would be an outside linebacker in the Steelers' 3-4, but he could play end in a 4-3 or even move inside to rush the passer from a tackle spot. Pass-rushers Jarvis Jones (a 2013 first-round pick) and James Harrison (who turns 39 this summer) will be free agents.

Atlanta Falcons

Derek Barnett, DE, Tennessee

Barnett (6-3, 265) is the eighth defensive end or outside linebacker to go in my first round -- this is a great class for pass-rushers. He is an all-around defender who beats double-teams and makes plays in the running game, and he's versatile enough to play in a 4-3 or 3-4. The light came on for Vic Beasley Jr. in Year 2 in the NFL, but his 15.5 sacks accounted for 45.5 percent of the Falcons' total in 2016. He needs some help.

New England Patriots

O.J. Howard, TE, Alabama

Howard, my top-ranked tight end, had only seven touchdowns in his four-year career, but three came in national title games. The Crimson Tide didn't use Howard (6-6, 250) much in the passing game, and he could be more productive in the NFL. He can stretch the deep middle of the field and be a dynamic weapon. New England's No. 2 tight end, Martellus Bennett, could get a big deal in free agency this offseason, and it's too early to tell how Rob Gronkowski's back injury will heal. Howard would be a great fit.

Found it interesting how low Barnett is. I've personally have been saying he's not worth 9 but didn't think he would fall that fall in any mock.

I would puke if we take thomas at 9
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 02:14 PM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: I would puke if we take thomas at 9

The more I think about it the more I'd wait on a pass rusher until round 2. Someone good will be there, use the 1st on BPA (don't think that will be a DE unless one of the top 2 fall)
[Image: 4CV0TeR.png]
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 03:05 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The more I think about it the more I'd wait on a pass rusher until round 2. Someone good will be there, use the 1st on BPA (don't think that will be a DE unless one of the top 2 fall)

Yes theres alot of DE in this draft.I want a skill player at 9 or Malik Hooker,then de in the 2nd
Reply/Quote
Only DE I'd take at 9 are Garrett and Allen. Otherwise I'd be looking at BPA, Foster or trading a couple spots down if somebody wants to jump up for a QB.
Reply/Quote
Solomon Thomas would instantly upgrade our pass rush and i like him better than Barnett right now
cause of his strength. Don't know why anyone would dislike us improving our pass rush. This would be
an instant improvement on our team.

The thing i don't like about this mock is seeing the Browns get Garrett and then Dalvin Cook. NOOO!
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 06:13 PM)Yojimbo Wrote: Only DE I'd take at 9 are Garrett and Allen. Otherwise I'd be looking at BPA, Foster or trading a couple spots down if somebody wants to jump up for a QB.

Why would we want a LB who is bad in coverage? Foster watches the eyes of the QB's far too often and gets lost.

If we go Linebacker i hope it is a versatile one like Cunningham out of Vandy.

Would be all for trading down if the draft shook up like this though.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 07:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why would we want a LB who is bad in coverage? Foster watches the eyes of the QB's far too often and gets lost.

Nobody is a finished product at this point. A lot of draft evaluation is potential and Fosters perceived physical potential is greater than Cunningham's at this point in the process. You can coach coverage technique.

The process is far from over, so things can change between now and April.
Reply/Quote
Pass on Thomas at 9, the same as I say pass on Barnett at 9. After the top two, there is too much of a drop off to the 3rd best DE prospect, to take him in the top 10.

Any pick in the top 10 needs to be a superior athlete, at the top 1 or 2 of his position class. Which is why I would be elated if the Bengals took either Dalvin Cook or Rueben Foster at #9.

Volson is meh, but I like him, and he has far exceeded my expectations

-Frank Booth 1/9/23
Reply/Quote
IF, the draft fell like this, we would be a great trade target for a team looking to jump in front of the Bills for a QB.

That being said, I would be looking to trade down for one of the following:

Tim Williams - I honestly feel like he is the best pass rusher in the draft, hands down. Now, the problem is that he may only ever be a pass rushing specialist, but who knows?

Malik Hooker - I view him as the 2nd best safety in the draft behind Adams, but I also view him as the best pure free safety we've seen in quite awhile. I doubt he slips as far as Kiper has him, but if I could move back 5-8 spots and still get one of those guys plus a 2nd or 3rd rounder, I'm doing it.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 03:05 PM)leonardfan40 Wrote: The more I think about it the more I'd wait on a pass rusher until round 2. Someone good will be there, use the 1st on BPA (don't think that will be a DE unless one of the top 2 fall)

This....Dalvin Cook is an unbelievable talent and could be an immediate impact.  With a potential trade of AJM, the Bengals could get the Guard AND the DE in Round 2.  

You nailed it on the top 2.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 07:39 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Solomon Thomas would instantly upgrade our pass rush and i like him better than Barnett right now
cause of his strength. Don't know why anyone would dislike us improving our pass rush. This would be
an instant improvement on our team.

The thing i don't like about this mock is seeing the Browns get Garrett and then Dalvin Cook. NOOO!

I like him, but don't love him for this team...He played much more at LDE and rotated inside at the 3 spot and the Bengals need a speed outside guy at RDE.  I don't want to play musical chairs with him and Dunlap.  

He is a very high-character guy, and plays with great instincts, but I see more of a speed option available in Round 2 at RDE.  
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 07:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why would we want a LB who is bad in coverage? Foster watches the eyes of the QB's far too often and gets lost.

It is not necessarily what I WANT to happen, but one of the most likely scenarios I could see is that Cook is gone, as are the top 2 or 3 pass rushers, and the Bengals slide to around 17 and compile an additional second rounder.

If they do this, they could address the vacancy at G, RB, RDE, and possibly more if AJM is dealt, all with top 50 talent.  
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 07:43 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: It is not necessarily what I WANT to happen, but one of the most likely scenarios I could see is that Cook is gone, as are the top 2 or 3 pass rushers, and the Bengals slide to around 17 and compile an additional second rounder.

If they do this, they could address the vacancy at G, RB, RDE, and possibly more if AJM is dealt, all with top 50 talent.  
Waste a top 10 pick to trade down for a backup .if this happends you can count me out .
Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 09:32 AM)Buckeyes420 Wrote: Waste a top 10 pick to trade down for a backup .if this happends you can count me out .

I hear ya, and I am not sure if there will be takers, but if the deal is good and the Bengals have 4-6 guys of similar ranking you can bet they will take the trade.  
Reply/Quote
Give me Mike Williams (WR), Foster (LB), or Cook (RB) at 9th pick. I know the Bengals need rushing DE but I do not like reaching in draft based on need. The 9th pick should be a superior athlete that will have impact. Either of those aforementioned players would meet that criteria.

I know many will not like this, but do not be surprised if they select Cam Robinson and move him to RT. I do not know where Og fits on this team. He cannot play RT, LT, and he is not a kicker. Fisher will probably be used in Jumbo sets or as TE in packages. That is; unless both Og and Fisher miraculously develop over the next year this off season. If the team does not re-signs Whit then I cannot see the team passing on Robinson. It would be a disaster. I personally see the team letting big Z walk and experiment with TJ Johnson at guard.

Also, the 2017 draft for the Bengals will come down to who they re-sign. If the Bengals re-sign Lafell, then I think they leave Williams off their board for round 1. I no longer have any faith in Hill. I do not know if the team re-signs Burkhead. IF they don't I could see them signing Cook given Gio's injury history and Peerman is basically a ST ace.
[Image: maXCb2f.jpg]
-Paul Brown
“When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say less.”

My album "Dragon"
https://www.humbert-lardinois.com/

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 09:50 AM)SHRacerX Wrote: I hear ya, and I am not sure if there will be takers, but if the deal is good and the Bengals have 4-6 guys of similar ranking you can bet they will take the trade.  

Im tired of devoting time and money for a product that is subpar ,if this were any other buisness in the world it would be out of buisness.Ive literally been in fistfights over defending this team (2005 playoff loss)i just cant bring myself to defend them anymore.when someone talks smack it isnt really smack its fact
Reply/Quote
Way too much DE/DT talent to take one at 9 when we can get one in the 2nd Rd.

Take Foster or BPA at 9, without a doubt.
Reply/Quote
(01-19-2017, 07:42 PM)Nate (formerly eliminate08) Wrote: Why would we want a LB who is bad in coverage? Foster watches the eyes of the QB's far too often and gets lost.

That's a pretty bold statement, Nate.  Do you have any supporting evidence?  I have found nothing online that indicates that Foster gets lost.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Everything I have read, wacthed, and heard, no hyperbole here either, shows his play diagnosis skills are unmatched both in coverage and run.  I have seen things that indicate his coverage technique needs polished, but not a single source anywhere has said he gets lost.  

Edit**

Wait, I found something that says he looks at the QBs eyes too long at times.  It's from some internet random named "J49ers19" posting on SBNation.  Not exactly Mike Mayock, but ok.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/6/14195982/lb-reuben-foster-alabama-scouting-report

Christ, after watching those gifs I want him at 9 now.  Damn, that kid is exciting.

Fueled by satanism, violence, and sodomy, dinosaurs had little chance to survive as a species.

Reply/Quote
(01-20-2017, 09:38 PM)Burma Wrote: That's a pretty bold statement, Nate.  Do you have any supporting evidence?  I have found nothing online that indicates that Foster gets lost.  Quite the opposite, in fact.  Everything I have read, wacthed, and heard, no hyperbole here either, shows his play diagnosis skills are unmatched both in coverage and run.  I have seen things that indicate his coverage technique needs polished, but not a single source anywhere has said he gets lost.  

Edit**

Wait, I found something that says he looks at the QBs eyes too long at times.  It's from some internet random named "J49ers19" posting on SBNation.  Not exactly Mike Mayock, but ok.

http://www.ninersnation.com/2017/1/6/14195982/lb-reuben-foster-alabama-scouting-report

Christ, after watching those gifs I want him at 9 now.  Damn, that kid is exciting.

"Coverage against the pass will never be a strength"

http://www.drafttek.com/NFL-Draft-Scouting-Reports/Scouting-Report-Reuben-Foster.asp

"Savvy quarterbacks can manipulate Foster with their eyes and he'll lose track of receivers around him, closing the gap between them only after the ball is being thrown."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/2082714/reuben-foster
Reply/Quote